+ Reply to Thread
Page 497 of 497 FirstFirst ... 397 447 487 494 495 496 497
Results 12,401 to 12,425 of 12425
  1. #12401
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Yep, Bryan Cox berating people is always entertaining and even though it appears that this is yet another show where literally everybody is unlikeable, I'm gonna stick with it for the performances.
    Hard to make a show about likable billionaires.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  2. #12402
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Finally getting to Riverdale S2 now that its on Netflix. This show has no business working, but it's really fun. Plus OMG Betty is so hot.

  3. #12403
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    The Terror has been renewed with a totally new story.

    https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the...mc-1202854102/

  4. #12404
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    The Terror has been renewed with a totally new story.

    https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the...mc-1202854102/
    Chalk up one for your recommendations: right now I'm lost in a Riverdale binge. How did they manage to turn stupid Archie comics into something so good? There's some excellent writing - I particularly liked when the mean girl called the (minimally) Latina Veronica "Frida Shallow."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  5. #12405
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Chalk up one for your recommendations: right now I'm lost in a Riverdale binge. How did they manage to turn stupid Archie comics into something so good? There's some excellent writing - I particularly liked when the mean girl called the (minimally) Latina Veronica "Frida Shallow."
    How far along are you? It has absolutely no business working, but it's perfectly reliable/fun teen soap.

  6. #12406
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    How far along are you? It has absolutely no business working, but it's perfectly reliable/fun teen soap.
    I'm only about halfway through the first season. No, it has no business working at all, but it's lots of fun. My only serious objection is that Archie isn't really a ginger at all, he's just had his hair dyed a reddish-brown.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  7. #12407
    Nice is different than good. Texsahara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Hmmm. I've ignored the recommendations for Riverdale. Is it time for me to rethink that? Is it on netflix?

  8. #12408
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Hmmm. I've ignored the recommendations for Riverdale. Is it time for me to rethink that? Is it on netflix?
    Yes, it's on Netflix. I don't want to overstate the case - as Rhody said, it's a teen soap, with plenty of teen angst. But it does that well, and the way they've reimagined those stupid old characters is...unexpected.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  9. #12409
    Nice is different than good. Texsahara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yes, it's on Netflix. I don't want to overstate the case - as Rhody said, it's a teen soap, with plenty of teen angst. But it does that well, and the way they've reimagined those stupid old characters is...unexpected.
    I'm looking for some mindless entertainment. So many of the big, "must-see" shows require thought. Sometimes I just want to relax and be entertained.

  10. #12410
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I'm looking for some mindless entertainment. So many of the big, "must-see" shows require thought. Sometimes I just want to relax and be entertained.
    Riverdale is for you.

    I'm only 3 in to season 2, and I just noticed this morning it's 22, not 13 episodes so that may fall off the rails, but it's still worth watching.

  11. #12411
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Oral history of one of the best episodes of TV of the past 20 years, The Office "Dinner Party".

    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-f...e-ever-629472/

  12. #12412
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Riverdale is for you.

    I'm only 3 in to season 2, and I just noticed this morning it's 22, not 13 episodes so that may fall off the rails, but it's still worth watching.
    By the way, I also made it through S2 E3, and decided that was enough. Whatever Archie goofiness they had at the beginning was gone, thereís too much dead-serious Scooby-doo stuff, and Iím really not that interested in Hiram Lodge.

  13. #12413
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    By the way, I also made it through S2 E3, and decided that was enough. Whatever Archie goofiness they had at the beginning was gone, thereís too much dead-serious Scooby-doo stuff, and Iím really not that interested in Hiram Lodge.
    Yeah, like most television, the idea of having 22 episodes of story to tell is daunting, much more so for a goofy teen drama. Season 1 was great. I'm through 6 of S2 and it's already a slog.

  14. #12414
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    GLOW season 2 dropped on Netflix last Friday and just like season one, it is great.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  15. #12415
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    The Comedy Lineup is excellent. Very quick binge - 8 episodes of 15 minutes each. It's got a surprisingly high hit rate for stand-up comedy; these people are really good. It's also the only opportunity you'll ever have to hear, in a meaningful context, the phrase, "soggy placenta biscuits."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  16. #12416
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    I am pretty excited for Sharp Objects which starts on HBO tonight. The book, by Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl), is great. I always like Amy Adams and it will be fun to watch her every week for a bit. It's also directed by Jean Marc-Vallee who directed Big Little Lies.

    Reviews have been universally positive, with some calling it easily the best show of the summer.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  17. #12417
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The Comedy Lineup is excellent. Very quick binge - 8 episodes of 15 minutes each. It's got a surprisingly high hit rate for stand-up comedy; these people are really good. It's also the only opportunity you'll ever have to hear, in a meaningful context, the phrase, "soggy placenta biscuits."
    I'm definitely going to give this a spin.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  18. #12418

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    I know this isn't the type of show that is going to probably have a large fanbase on a baseball message board, but I thought the premiere episode of Pose on FX was excellent.

    The acting was a little shaky in spots, because most of the actors are not very experienced. But they actually got better as the episode moved along. It is a peak into a subculture most of the world knows little about (gay and trans black youth in 1980's NYC) and parallels it with the world of Trump during that time period.

    If you want to watch a show about a world and characters you haven't seen before than this worth checking out. If not, I am sure you can find some crime show to watch.
    Fantastic show and excellent character development. You're correct; they aren't experienced or seasoned actors which makes it even more intriguing and enjoyable, IMO. Last night's episode was touching and showcased a couple of incredible singing voices (Blanca and Pray Tell). Nice ending as well... Whitesnake's "Is this Love" was a good choice.

    Kate Mara is a bonus. Don't tell my wife, but I think I'm in love with her. Looking as good in this series as she did in HoC.

  19. #12419
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Fantastic show and excellent character development. You're correct; they aren't experienced or seasoned actors which makes it even more intriguing and enjoyable, IMO. Last night's episode was touching and showcased a couple of incredible singing voices (Blanca and Pray Tell). Nice ending as well... Whitesnake's "Is this Love" was a good choice.

    Kate Mara is a bonus. Don't tell my wife, but I think I'm in love with her. Looking as good in this series as she did in HoC.
    Cool glad you are liking it. Havenít seen this weekís episode yet but looking forward do it.

    And the actor that plays Pray Tell is so amazing in this. Everything that comes out of his mouth I love.

    He needs an Emmy for this, but he wonít even be nominated.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  20. #12420
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    The first episode of Sharp Objects was excellent. Amy Adams was bringing down the house in with her Tammy Taylor at the bottom of the bottle performance.

    The show was also super creepy, which I didnít expect. Bravo HBO.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

  21. #12421
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    YES!


  22. #12422
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    The first episode of Sharp Objects was excellent. Amy Adams was bringing down the house in with her Tammy Taylor at the bottom of the bottle performance.

    The show was also super creepy, which I didnít expect. Bravo HBO.
    Was her half sister one of the girls on rollerskates? I think that's what the show was saying but I couldn't really follow.

    What a hot mess Amy Adams is playing. Sheesh.

  23. #12423
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    The first episode of Sharp Objects was excellent. Amy Adams was bringing down the house in with her Tammy Taylor at the bottom of the bottle performance.

    The show was also super creepy, which I didnít expect. Bravo HBO.
    I thought it was pretty boring. Have about 20 minutes to go (will watch it at some point this weekend).

  24. #12424
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Was her half sister one of the girls on rollerskates? I think that's what the show was saying but I couldn't really follow.

    What a hot mess Amy Adams is playing. Sheesh.
    I thought that was her as a child? As I said above, I didn't finish the episode, so maybe I missed it.

  25. #12425
    Mustache NYDCYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Just Foul

    Re: The "TV shows that don't warrant their own thread" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Was her half sister one of the girls on rollerskates? I think that's what the show was saying but I couldn't really follow.

    What a hot mess Amy Adams is playing. Sheesh.
    Well there were two sets of girls on roller skates right? In the beginning, it was her and her sister.

    Later on it was local teens. Not her half sister.

    Big roller skating town.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts