+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 190 FirstFirst ... 37 77 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 97 137 187 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 4741
    NYYF Legend

Re: Another team's prospects thread

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    I can't see that happening. Anyway, let's say he was to sign with a team, is he a regular FA? In other words, would it be a $35M contract for 7 years, or would the $$ act as a signing bonus and the team controls his rights?

You need to brush up on history, Sey.

A dozen years ago Boras got two of the draft's elite players declared free agents. Travis Lee and Matt White both signed for $10 million.

If you think that, 12 years later, with everything that we've seen with the FA market in general, and specifically with the leaning towards developing young players, that the draft's top hitting talent is going to sign for $10 million, you're insane.

When it becomes FA, it's a totally different game.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    You need to brush up on history, Sey.

A dozen years ago Boras got two of the draft's elite players declared free agents. Travis Lee and Matt White both signed for $10 million.

If you think that, 12 years later, with everything that we've seen with the FA market in general, and specifically with the leaning towards developing young players, that the draft's top hitting talent is going to sign for $10 million, you're insane.

When it becomes FA, it's a totally different game.
    I plead ignorance, I was 11 at the time.

I guess you have a point. Now please answer my question regarding his FA status - regular FA rules apply or would the $$ act as a signing bonus?

NYYF Legend

I'm pretty sure that at the end of the deal (Lee's was 4 years) the player has to finish the 6 years until they are granted FA status again (unless the team declines to offer arb when the original contract is up).

As an aside, if Matt Weiters became a FA today, what kind of contract do you think Boras could get him? Give me numbers, too - not just "a big one."

I'm pretty sure that at the end of the deal (Lee's was 4 years) the player has to finish the 6 years until they are granted FA status again (unless the team declines to offer arb when the original contract is up).

As an aside, if Matt Weiters became a FA today, what kind of contract do you think Boras could get him? Give me numbers, too - not just "a big one."
    He'd easily get $30-35M or more. The Red Sox would kill for a chance to sign him. Scratch that. $40-45M would be the low end. An elite catching prospect who hits like he does? The sky's the limit.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

NYYF Legend

I think Weiters can get $50M, but to compare him to Alvarez is not right. Weiters has produced at every MiL level and is the bona-fide #1 hitting prospect in the sport.

NYYF Legend

I think Weiters can get $50M, but to compare him to Alvarez is not right. Weiters has produced at every MiL level and is the bona-fide #1 hitting prospect in the sport.

Alvarez was seen as the best hitting prospect in the draft, and despite having poor defense, was STILL projected by the majority to go 1-1, and for quite a bit of time.

Saying Weiters has produced at "every mL level" is a bit disingenuous seeing as he's only been in the mL for one season. He's had an amazing debut and, yes, is currently the best prospect in the minors.

Anyway, if Weiters could get $50 million, you're telling me you don't believe Alvarez would get $30 million?

NYYF Legend

Alvarez was seen as the best hitting prospect in the draft, and despite having poor defense, was STILL projected by the majority to go 1-1, and for quite a bit of time.

Saying Weiters has produced at "every mL level" is a bit disingenuous seeing as he's only been in the mL for one season. He's had an amazing debut and, yes, is currently the best prospect in the minors.

Anyway, if Weiters could get $50 million, you're telling me you don't believe Alvarez would get $30 million?
    Please see post 2152 where I said "I guess you have a point" - I wrote that after I read your story on Lee/White

For Weiters, 50MM would be the minimum, IMO. A catcher with that kind of a bat? Tell me, which team couldn't use that? Since his bat is so deadly, he'd probably become the best catcher in baseball immediately. Yes, that includes Martin, Mauer, and McCann.

I think it's pretty much a given that Alvarez will destroy the minors, too.

NYYF Legend

Please see post 2152 where I said "I guess you have a point" - I wrote that after I read your story on Lee/White

You said I was comparing them, and that it wasn't right for me to do so.

I wasn't doing any comparison of them as equals.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe
    For Weiters, 50MM would be the minimum, IMO. A catcher with that kind of a bat? Tell me, which team couldn't use that? Since his bat is so deadly, he'd probably become the best catcher in baseball immediately. Yes, that includes Martin, Mauer, and McCann.
    I disagree. Although he is hitting very very well in every minor level, he is still unproven in the major at this point. I take Mauer over him 10 out of 10 time.

wait guys, you mean the draft drags down the ability of the players to make their true market value, and that FA get more money?

who would have argued that a couple of months ago?
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

MiLB.tv will be free for the IL playoffs.

David Price is on the mound tonight for the Durham Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t
    I disagree. Although he is hitting very very well in every minor level, he is still unproven in the major at this point. I take Mauer over him 10 out of 10 time.
    That's fine if you disagree. It's just that I believe in his bat that much.

You gotta be kiddin' me:

Bumgarner:

7.0 IP 2 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 10 K's | 4-6 GB/FB ratio.

Final line:

8.0 IP 3 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 10 K's | 5-7 GB/FB ratio.

Can't wait to see this guy pitch next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by metalboy15
    You gotta be kiddin' me:

Bumgarner:

7.0 IP 2 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 10 K's | 4-6 GB/FB ratio.
    Imagen when he develops his secondary stuff. Always liked that kid. Big-time arm.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe
    Imagen when he develops his secondary stuff. Always liked that kid. Big-time arm.
    KG on Madison:

Aaron (YYZ): What's with all of the boundless enthusiasm for Madison Bumgarner's big season? Is he really that much more than a guy with a plus fastball and plus fastball command dominating Low-A hitters without needing to make use of his secondary stuff (which is below average from the reports I've seen) ?

Kevin Goldstein: Yeah! Why are people excited about a first-round pick who just turned 19 who is six-foot-five and lefthanded and had a 1.46 ERA in a full-season league with 164 strikeouts against just 21 walks in 141.2 innings. That makes no sense to me!

In all seriousness however -- yes, Aaron, he's MUCH more than that. Curveball made great strides, and to call the fastball and command merely plus is doing both a grave diservice.

KG on Madison:
    cain, lincecum, bumgarner, and alderson ... that's a nasty rotation !

Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375
    cain, lincecum, bumgarner, and alderson ... that's a nasty rotation !
    Don't forget Sanchez.

142 IP, 10.9% BB% (a little high), 22.7% K%, 5% HR%, 3.64 FIP.

NYYF Legend

I doubt Cain will be with the team long enough to be part of that rotation.

id give matt wieters a blank check, and im not even kidding

he's the best position player prospect in the past 5 years, maybe even the past 10

Thoughts on the number one pitching prospect in all of baseball, David Price:

3/4's slot, really liked his arm action, excellent finish, gives his arm enough room to decelerate, ridiculous leg drive, 3-fastballs guy, 4 seamer, 2 seamer and cutter, goes to a lower slot when throwing the 2 seamer, topped out at 96 mph (according to the announcer), so-so control, was behind the count most of the time (I think he hit a couple of batters as well), slider was good, nothing out of this world, most of his K's came on the fastball, rarely used his changeup, saw a couple of them while he was warming up between innings, nice fading action, not sold on the arm speed.

Thoughts on the number one pitching prospect in all of baseball, David Price:

3/4's slot, really liked his arm action, excellent finish, gives his arm enough room to decelerate, ridiculous leg drive, 3-fastballs guy, 4 seamer, 2 seamer and cutter, goes to a lower slot when throwing the 2 seamer, topped out at 96 mph (according to the announcer), so-so control, was behind the count most of the time (I think he hit a couple of batters as well), slider was good, nothing out of this world, most of his K's came on the fastball, he rarely used his changeup, saw a couple of them while he was warming up between innings, nice fading action, not sold on the arm speed.

the only thing about price i didnt really like was it looked like he was throwing uphill in his delivery

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86
    the only thing about price i didnt really like was it looked like he was throwing uphill in his delivery
    He's always thrown uphill, I think it works for him, that way he creates momentum into footplant, leading to excellent velocity.

Thread Information