+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 173 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: Another team's prospects thread

Dukes is a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad guy. Just bad. Have seen it first hand on probably nine or ten occasions, going back to Charleston three or four years back.

Anger management isn't the issue- he's just wired wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
    didn't he have one against Kazmir? It was either 4 or 5Ks
    yeah it was five, although all of them weren't off Kazmir. Andy sure does have problems with lefties. Kinda wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony53
    yeah it was five, although all of them weren't off Kazmir. Andy sure does have problems with lefties. Kinda wierd.
    Good thing we now have Wilson for that, eh?

Anybody know what the Mets Deolis Guerra (SP?) has as far as stuff?

NYYF MVP

Just read this on MILB.com and it said that Andrew Miller would begin his career in Lakeland(A+) and would be called up in September, i just get soo confused when teams like these call up there top pitchers when they haven't even spent a full year in the minors thinking that they will make an IMMEDIATE impact on the team!!!! I HATE IT!!! the tigers also did it with Verlander UGHH.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LecheCaberera2826
    Just read this on MILB.com and it said that Andrew Miller would begin his career in Lakeland(A+) and would be called up in September, i just get soo confused when teams like these call up there top pitchers when they haven't even spent a full year in the minors thinking that they will make an IMMEDIATE impact on the team!!!! I HATE IT!!! the tigers also did it with Verlander UGHH.
    They didn't do that with Verlander and that's not their thinking at all with Miller.
    "I love Hughes, really I'm not kidding here, I am in love with him, I'm a straight male and I don't even know what he looks like, but I am in love."-JeterRodriguezSheff

Faith is a funny thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NJASDJDH
    They didn't do that with Verlander and that's not their thinking at all with Miller.
    The team's public stance is that they want Miller to get a cup of coffee in Sept, when rosters expand.

It's in Miller's contract that he has to be called up in Sept. The Tigers aren't really looking for Miller to be an impact player yet, he'll get some meaningless innings and everyone will be happy. The good news is that the Tigers won't get a steal in the top 10(Maybin-10th overall, and Miller-6th overall) since they're likely to finish w/ the best record in baseball. Those guys should've went much earlier.

My guess is that it has something to do with starting the players arbitration clock, etc.
    -Enoch

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    My guess is that it has something to do with starting the players arbitration clock, etc.
    A September callup doesn't accopmlish this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Hughes Fan
    A September callup doesn't accopmlish this.
    Then I have no idea why his agent would include a september callup unless it had something to do with a bonus OR just to make the team see if he was mlb ready.
    -Enoch

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    OR just to make the team see if he was mlb ready.
    My guess is this. If he shows he's further along than the team thinks than he is likely to be up in the majors sooner and his service clock will start sooner as well.

Personally, after the Thunder season is over, I want Hughes called up as well even if he doesn't pitch at all I think it would be a good experience for him.

My guess is this. If he shows he's further along than the team thinks than he is likely to be up in the majors sooner and his service clock will start sooner as well.

Personally, after the Thunder season is over, I want Hughes called up as well even if he doesn't pitch at all I think it would be a good experience for him.
    It's a major league contract right?The service time has started no matter where he is pitching (I think its 4 years, so the first 4 are at the salary they settled on and the next 2 are arbitration years)

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Minnesota's calling up Matt Garza, thoughts?

About time

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by homer2931
    It's a major league contract right?The service time has started no matter where he is pitching (I think its 4 years, so the first 4 are at the salary they settled on and the next 2 are arbitration years)
    That's not how it works. You still need 3 years of major league service time when your initial contract is up to be elligible for arbitration. This happened to Josh Beckett after the 03 season. He signed a major league deal out of high School and spent 3 years in the minors. He was not elligible for arbitration until 04 and settled for a $1. million 1 year deal for 03.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

So what is the difference between someone signing a major league contract for X amount of years after being drafted or someone getting a bonus up front?

you still get a bonus with a ML contract, but you have structured salaries. whatever portion you dont recieve as a bonus you divide up the life of the contract. a ML deal requires the player to be put on the 40 man roster

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    Minnesota's calling up Matt Garza, thoughts?
    Good idea, especially when the Twins are going for the wild card, but i heard that the twins are going to treat Garza the same way that they did with Liriano and Santana which is start him in the bull pen which i think is ridiculus.

I'll go ahead and make the prediction that I think Miller throws less than 30 innings in the minor leagues after September of this year, if that.

I think that he will be a pretty big addition out of the bullpen for them. When he came out of the 'pen for UNC in the CWS, his first warmup pitch was 100 MPH. His first official pitch was 98. Not bad for a lefty.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LecheCaberera2826
    Good idea, especially when the Twins are going for the wild card, but i heard that the twins are going to treat Garza the same way that they did with Liriano and Santana which is start him in the bull pen which i think is ridiculus.
    If it is true that Liriano is going on the DL, I can understand Garza being called up. Otherwise, they do not really need him now. The pitching is solid, and they are in a pennant race for the WC, why expose an untested rookie to that?

It's time for fantasy baseball gdn's Avatar

Pelfrey on the 7-day DL with a strained lat as per BA's Daily Dish.

NYYF Triple Crown

Miller probably is trying to become a Super 2, rather than having to wait for the full arb clock to run.

Then again, someone with more knowledge of the subject explaining it better would probably be for the best. I just have the idea that under a certain number of innings pitched, but in the top 15% of the league as decided by an arbitrator, prospects can become Super 2 and opt for higher arbitration payouts or an earlier FA after a specific amount of ML time. Someone who understands it full yexplaining would be much appreciated.

Registered

Matt Garza: 2.2IP 8-H 7-ER 2-BB 2-K 2-HR (ML debut)

Some call him the Twins Philip Hughes and the best pitcher in the Minors.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEBERG18
    Matt Garza: 2.2IP 8-H 7-ER 2-BB 2-K 2-HR (ML debut)

Some call him the Twins Philip Hughes and the best pitcher in the Minors.
    He is the Twins Phil Hughes but some say he is the best in the minors but,
    Most say Hughes is.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Thread Information