+ Reply to Thread
Page 305 of 306 FirstFirst ... 205 255 295 302 303 304 305 306 LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,625 of 7633
    NYYF Legend

Re: The New York Mets Thread

Cano had 4 hits to reach 2,503 and become the 101st player to 2,500, Nimmo hit an RBI double to end his 0-for-28, Alonso hit the game-winning 449 foot home run, and Diaz allowed a run and had bases loaded with one out up 7-6 then got a strikeout and forceout for the save.

NYYF Legend

On Friday, Cano went 1-for-5. He didn't run to first in the process of grounding into a double play, and he defended himself by saying he didn't run because the scoreboard incorrectly said there were 2 outs. He went 0-for-3 yesterday. He is 0-for-3 with two double plays grounded into, and the Mets trail 3-0 in the eighth, as they are likely to be swept by Miami. The Mets have 2 hits, and if they don't get any more, they will have consecutive games with 2 or fewer hits. The Mets have had two streaks of that, which were when they were horrible in 1965 and 1967.

Edit: The Mets got out 1-2-3 in the ninth and lost 3-0. Sandy Alcantara pitched a shutout with only 89 pitches. Newsday said Cano didn't run in his double play on Friday because he thought there were 2 outs, but video shows him arguing that the ball was foul during the play. The ball hit home plate but balls that start foul and are touched in fair territory are fair. The other way for the ball to have been foul was if it Cano in the batter's box, but it didn't look like it did to the umpires or me.

Cano’s work rate; file that under things I don’t miss.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

Robinson Cano

Went from:
    Beloved Yankee
    to
    Unknown Mariner
    to
    Cheating Mariner
    to
    Hated Met

But the guy has a lot of dough.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Robinson Cano

Went from:
    Beloved Yankee
    to
    Unknown Mariner
    to
    Cheating Mariner
    to
    Hated Met

Slow Mo Cano...
    'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

Robinson Cano

Went from:
    Beloved Yankee
    to
    Unknown Mariner
    to
    Cheating Mariner
    to
    Hated Met

and JAY....ZEEEEE showed he's an agent to be reckoned with. He made a Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can! Seattle state of mind!

I've been having fun with some Mets fans I know who are shocked and outraged that Robbie doesn't hustle. I could have told y'all, Metsies lol. We were lucky, 30 HRs, .320 average and great 2B play, you live with the junk. 88 OPS+ like he's turning in now? Not so much.

I hope Diaz goes on to a long and successful career as Mets closer because the Mets just swallowed The Mother of All Poison Pills to get him. How much money do they owe Robbie?
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    and JAY....ZEEEEE showed he's an agent to be reckoned with. He made a Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can! Seattle state of mind!

I've been having fun with some Mets fans I know who are shocked and outraged that Robbie doesn't hustle. I could have told y'all, Metsies lol. We were lucky, 30 HRs, .320 average and great 2B play, you live with the junk. 88 OPS+ like he's turning in now? Not so much.

I hope Diaz goes on to a long and successful career as Mets closer because the Mets just swallowed The Mother of All Poison Pills to get him. How much money do they owe Robbie?
    They owe him 5 years, $120 million. Some of which Seattle is kicking in but I couldn’t find the exact amount. They did dump the salaries of Bruce and Swarzak in the deal though. Not exactly an attractive deal for what essentially was a hard throwing reliever.

So glad the Yankees didn't retain him. His lackadaisical play was often defended by many fans but it was going to become a major issue once his production fell off a cliff, which it has since he was caught using PEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by GleyToe18 View Post
    So glad the Yankees didn't retain him. His lackadaisical play was often defended by many fans but it was going to become a major issue once his production fell off a cliff, which it has since he was caught using PEDs.
    A few years ago when the Yankess were playing the Mets and I remember when Tex was on first with two outs and it was a walk off situation. Someone hit a short fly to the outfield that was misjudged and Tex came all the way around to score and win the game. I said to myself if it was Cano he would of been on second base, and on a good day maybe 3rd.

Cano's lack of hustle drove me nuts. So glad we passed on him.
    'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Where are the posters who kept arguing, even into last year, that the Yankees should have caved to Cano's demands and signed him?

Hal should have approved Cashman's request to trade him at the deadline that year. And of course they should not have used the money to give Ellsbury that contract, Cashman's worst mistake of the last decade imo. But signing Cano would have been stupid as well.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    They owe him 5 years, $120 million. Some of which Seattle is kicking in but I couldn’t find the exact amount. They did dump the salaries of Bruce and Swarzak in the deal though. Not exactly an attractive deal for what essentially was a hard throwing reliever.
    from Cots

acquired by NY Mets in trade from Seattle 12/3/18, with Mariners paying Mets $20M as part of the deal ($5M in Dec. 2018 and $3.75M each Dec. 1, 2019-22)
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Making the Cano deal a little worse, Kelenic has been awesome so far this year.

I can't imagine that Cano has been too happy with his playing situation since leaving the Yankees, but he traded away the honor of finishing with the Yankees and possibly a few rings, a number retirement and a plaque for a few extra million dollars. He should have taken the 7-year deal he was offered.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I can't imagine that Cano has been too happy with his playing situation since leaving the Yankees, but he traded away the honor of finishing with the Yankees and possibly a few rings, a number retirement and a plaque for a few extra million dollars. He should have taken the 7-year deal he was offered.
    I guess it's easy for you to walk away from $87M. I wish I had Bub's financial security.
    Baseball is life;

Cano is out of the lineup. Too late, you should’ve taken him out yesterday. This looks like a weak move, let him hear the crowd.

NYYF Legend

Cespedes, multiple ankle fractures https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...res-ranch.html
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I guess it's easy for you to walk away from $87M. I wish I had Bub's financial security.
    We went all over the average salary for 7 years vs. 10 years back when he left, including the endorsements he walked away from and everything else that could have made up the difference, and I have no interest in rehashing that all over again. So now he has 4 more guaranteed years after this one at $24 million per year, so he has the player option to loaf and mail it in the rest of the way if he wants to.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    We went all over the average salary for 7 years vs. 10 years back when he left, including the endorsements he walked away from and everything else that could have made up the difference, and I have no interest in rehashing that all over again. So now he has 4 more guaranteed years after this one at $24 million per year, so he has the player option to loaf and mail it in the rest of the way if he wants to.
    $87M is a ton of extra money to make up. It wasn't like "hey sure I'll leave $5M on the table" to play for the Yanks.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    $87M is a ton of extra money to make up. It wasn't like "hey sure I'll leave $5M on the table" to play for the Yanks.
    Just some bookkeeping here but it's $65M. You are conflating Ellsbury's 7/153 contract with the Yankees' 7/175 offer to Cano.

I'm also not sure how the difference between 7/175 and 10/240 is the difference between security and poverty for Cano but whatev.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

I think having an ex-agent as a GM is probably a bad sign in today's game where most teams use analytics to reveal that most players older than 30 or at least 33/34 are on the decline. Guys who are used to selling players like Lowrie or Cano are more likely to have blind spots.

The Cano trade was a bad one. The Mets did not have to tank, but they should not have given up top prospects to try to compete this year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    The Cano trade was a bad one. The Mets did not have to tank, but they should not have given up top prospects to try to compete this year.
    No idea what happened, the guy was lighting it up on fire in Spring training. Then the Mets happened

Calls a tool a tool

Washington also doesn't have a state income tax. And as far as endorsements, I don't see that. He wasn't very telegenic. Seems like he struggled with spoken English and didn't really improve with that the years he was here. JayZ promised him that. Did it ever materialize?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Just some bookkeeping here but it's $65M. You are conflating Ellsbury's 7/153 contract with the Yankees' 7/175 offer to Cano.

I'm also not sure how the difference between 7/175 and 10/240 is the difference between security and poverty for Cano but whatev.
    Oh I'm sorry. $65M, $87M either way it's a ton money and not chump change or even "a couple million"
    Baseball is life;

I heard some changes could be made in the Mets organization in the near future. A little birdie told me Buck Showalter is being considered.

They would be insane to pass him up. But this is The Mets.

NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Robinson Cano

Went from:
    Beloved Yankee
    to
    Unknown Mariner
    to
    Cheating Mariner
    to
    Hated Met

Cano was a flawed player, always. But he falls under the David Wells quote, which is so true.. paraphrasing a bit..

....When I was 19-4 with a sub 3 ERA, I was a bulldog, eccentric, battling everyman hero of the fans, when I could not get anyone out anymore, I was an overweight slob with an attitude problem... I never changed as a man, I just changed as a pitcher....

Cano dogging it to first and playing lackadaisically was mildly annoying, the sheepish grin was cute and charming while it happened... we smiled along with him.. but what we were smiling at was .320, 35, 120, and GG at second base, arguably the best player in the game at times before Trout came along.

Take those numbers away and you go from mildly annoying, but sheepishly cute and funny to lazy and stupid..

Manny was Manny until he stopped hitting, then Manny was a jacka$$..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Thread Information