+ Reply to Thread
Page 302 of 303 FirstFirst ... 202 252 292 299 300 301 302 303 LastLast
Results 7,526 to 7,550 of 7558
    NYYF Legend

Re: The New York Mets Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Perhaps MLB should step in and find ownership that would do what it takes to put a major league team on the field, or at least do what it takes to build towards that.

The Mets are an embarrassment to MLB and New York.
    Tough to justify because they actually do spend more than people think. Believe it or not, before the Yankees' Happ/Britton/Lynn parlay the Mets' payroll was only about $10M lower than the Yankees. So it's not cheapness as WFAN callers seem to think. It's not lack of spending, it's BAD spending.

Despite the Madoff clawbacks the Wilpons aren't financially insolvent like McCourt was in Los Angeles and they're not blatantly tanking like Loria did in Miami or like his successor Bruce Sherman (using Derek Jeter as his hand puppet) is doing now in Miami.

MLB really has no recourse here in my amateur opinion. Wilpon Mets gonna be Wilpon Mets.

NYYF Legend

Among the Mets' 25 man roster, Robert Gsellman leads in wins and saves. I wonder when the last time a pitcher did that this late in a season. His 6 wins are tied for the team lead with sick Syndergaard, and his 5 saves are most other than traded Familia. Imagine if deGrom wins the ERA title and has fewer wins than one of his teammates without any starts.

According to https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...018-misc.shtml the Mets have the fourth highest payroll in MLB at $188,840,844, which is $28,097,812 higher than the Yankees, who are tenth. Baseball-reference says that may not include transactions during the season.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

From the news radio, there's a real website called:

freetherapyformetsfans.com

, which relocates to:

https://umahealth.com/mets

So now they have their own crying board. Hilarious.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Among the Mets' 25 man roster, Robert Gsellman leads in wins and saves. I wonder when the last time a pitcher did that this late in a season. His 6 wins are tied for the team lead with sick Syndergaard, and his 5 saves are most other than traded Familia. Imagine if deGrom wins the ERA title and has fewer wins than one of his teammates without any starts.

According to https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...018-misc.shtml the Mets have the fourth highest payroll in MLB at $188,840,844, which is $28,097,812 higher than the Yankees, who are tenth. Baseball-reference says that may not include transactions during the season.
    Jacob deGrom should've been the first player traded. They could've gotten 4 blue chippers for him.

Total payroll could just mean that you've taken on bad contracts via trade. Speaking of which:

If a team trades for a player making a lot of money, does the payroll take into account that the team getting the player also receives money from the other team?

If signed mid-season, does the payroll take into account that the player's salary was not for the full year?
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

deGrom is on pace to become the first pitcher in the modern ERA with at least 200 innings, an ERA under 2.00, and fewer than 10 wins. The only previous times that happened were in 1886 and 1875. deGrom's ERA is currently better than those times in the 1800s.
    I'm not sure if the two eras are comparable, since they pitched 600 innings in the 1880s. I think that a rotation was 2 men at the time, and there was no bullpen.

Also, there were no non-white players back then.

Not sure if this was that last time, but in 1977 Bill Campbell led the Red Sox in both wins and saves (and truly led them - no ties, no one like Familia who actually led the team but wasn't on the roster at the end due to a trade). He did the same the prior year for the Twins.

John Hiller did the same for the Tigers in 1974.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Not sure if this was that last time, but in 1977 Bill Campbell led the Red Sox in both wins and saves (and truly led them - no ties, no one like Familia who actually led the team but wasn't on the roster at the end due to a trade). He did the same the prior year for the Twins.

John Hiller did the same for the Tigers in 1974.
    Those are more recent than the first one that popped into my head, which was Elroy Face in his 18-1 season out of the Pirates bullpen in 1959. His 10 saves led the team, but, his 18 wins only tied him with Vernon Law.

NYYF Legend

deGrom became the 11th pitcher since 1908 to have at least 7 consecutive quality starts that he did not get a win in. The only other active pitcher to do that was Jeff Samardzija in 2013 and 2014. deGrom is only the pitcher to do that in at least 7 consecutive starts in one year since 1988. The record for consecutive starts doing that is 9 by George Bell in 1910. Bell had a 2.64 ERA that year but went 10-27 and led MLB in losses.

11 runs in their last 6 games. Unfathomable.

Zack Wheeler can pitch. Finally.

NYYF Legend

Jose Bautista is 0-for-his last 23 to lower his average to .198.

NYYF Legend

Jose Bautista is 0-for-his last 23 to lower his average to .198.
    Wait'll that makeup game against the Yankees.

Andy Martino

Verified account

@martinonyc
    Following Following @martinonyc
    More
    Degrom will face the Yankees on Monday

Jayson Werth took his Mets hate to an extreme level

https://nypost.com/2018/08/08/jayson...extreme-level/

He hates mets, perfect as Yankee.

“The only team I didn’t call? The Mets … I wouldn’t play for them.”

did he retired? Yankees looking for a bat.

NYYF Legend

From June 23, 2018 through August 3, 2018, the New York Mets' Jacob deGrom had 7 consecutive quality starts that he did not get a win in. That was tied for the fourth longest streak since 1908. The streak ended with an 8-0 win today. Brandon Nimmo and Austin Jackson had 3 hits and 3 RBI. In his 300th career plate appearance, deGrom walked with the bases loaded for the first time.

David Lennon

Verified account

@DPLennon
    Follow Follow @DPLennon
    More
    Jacob deGrom will pitch vs. #Yankees on Monday. Callaway said they lined that up to happen. #Mets

Why Is Jose Reyes Still Playing For The Mets?

Kind of a long read but I like how it summarizes the failures of the organization over Reyes's career.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    Why Is Jose Reyes Still Playing For The Mets?

Kind of a long read but I like how it summarizes the failures of the organization over Reyes's career.
    Because they signed him at age 16 and throughout it all they haven’t forgotten that?

Another Wheeler gem. Better late than never for that Beltran trade to work out.

David Wright will be activated for the last weekend of the season, and then call it quits. He was a helluva player, and seems like a good guy - glad he gets to step out onto the field one last time.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/13/mets-g...one-last-game/
    Last edited by Mr. Mxylsplk; 09-13-18 at 03:53 PM.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try to watch that. At least his first AB.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

In under 24 hours, the Mets got four hits and four runs from pitchers, including Steven Matz's first career home run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    David Wright will be activated for the last weekend of the season, and then call it quits. He was a helluva player, and seems like a good guy - glad he gets to step out onto the field one last time.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/13/mets-g...one-last-game/
    David Wright and Jose Reyes together on the field one last time.

NYYF Legend

Before tonight's game in Boston, the Mets have a better record this month. The Mets are 9-3 and Boston is 8-3. The Mets have been at least 10 games under .500 after their last 75 games, and they will be 9 under if they win tonight.

Thread Information