+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Pearl Jam Thread

I saw PJ on 9/8/98 at the Meadowlands, the night McGwire broke the HR record. I remember seeing something going on in a box that had a tv on, and Eddie made mention of it on stage. Was anyone else there?

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan
    I saw them in Maine (in a basketball gym that held 8000) as well as Hartford. Very intense shows.

As much of the band has said, Matt Cameron saved them. I really think they were considering hanging it up after Jack Irons left, and it being so suddenly. To come right in and start touring immediately for them was a blessing. I'll always look at Matt as the drummer for Pearl Jam more than the drummer for Soundgarden, but that's just me.

I assume you've been to most of the NY shows. Some of the MSG shows have been legendary (9-11-98 and both 03 MSG shows), and the 3 nights at Jones Beach were fun. They've been good to that area, as well as Boston
    I don't remember the exact date, but I saw them at MSG in September of 98. Simply amazing.

NYYF Legend

As for the 1996 tour, I remember how intense those shows were. I was at both Randalls Island shows
    I went to one of those with my entire family and our family friends -- can't believe it was over 10 years ago now. Definitely one of the best concerts I've still ever been to.
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Anyone else get the Eddie Vedder solo album? It's really good, in a different way. Has the same feel as Lost Dogs did. I'm diggin it.

Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by In Mo I Trust
    I saw PJ on 9/8/98 at the Meadowlands, the night McGwire broke the HR record. I remember seeing something going on in a box that had a tv on, and Eddie made mention of it on stage. Was anyone else there?
    My best friend was at that show, and remember how Ed and someone else used ping-pong paddles and balls to recreate McGwire's HR that night. He also said that it was an intense show.

I saw them in Maine (in a basketball gym that held 8000) as well as Hartford. Very intense shows.

As much of the band has said, Matt Cameron saved them. I really think they were considering hanging it up after Jack Irons left, and it being so suddenly. To come right in and start touring immediately for them was a blessing. I'll always look at Matt as the drummer for Pearl Jam more than the drummer for Soundgarden, but that's just me.

I assume you've been to most of the NY shows. Some of the MSG shows have been legendary (9-11-98 and both 03 MSG shows), and the 3 nights at Jones Beach were fun. They've been good to that area, as well as Boston
    I think you are correct in your estimation. The first time around, Jack Irons saved the band from going under back in 95 (don't get me started about Dave A.). Then, when he left at the beginning of 98, they could've gone under again and Superdrummer came in to rescue the band. As much as I love Soundgarden, Matt Cameron is Pearl Jam's drummer. PJfan, do you remember how, for a couple of years, Matt was their "temporary" drummer?

As for shows, I've been to all of the 1996 and 1998 NYC shows, 2000 in Philly, 2003 in NYC and Toronto, and 2005 in Montreal. My wife and I would have gone to see them last year if she didn't give birth to our daughter!

NYYF Legend

Does anyone know of anyplace where I could download the 9/8/98 show at the Meadowlands? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by In Mo I Trust
    Does anyone know of anyplace where I could download the 9/8/98 show at the Meadowlands? Thanks.
    Try this site; it might help:

http://www.pearljamlive.com/

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown Bomber
    That's a great video.

Matt Cameron just seems like a perfect fit for the band. He doesn't put himself out there, and never seems like he's looking for any attention (the exact opposite of Dave A......I also like the fact that he comes off kind of, I don't know, geeky, but in a good way ) I remember reading an article with him, and how he had to learn 75-80 songs prior to the Yield tour, and did it in just about two weeks. He's amazing.

I've seen them 30+ times now, and rarely have ever seen them have an "off" night. My buddy and I followed them in 2000 out to Ohio, and saw both Ohio shows, 3 Jones Beach shows, Saratoga, and then both Boston shows. I flew to Seattle for the Groundworks benefit in 2001, and just recently went out to Chicago for Lollapalooza. They're the only band I'll really travel a good distance to see. And seeing them multiple times is so worth it, because of how much they change their set night to night.

And yes, Rhody, the Into The Wild soundtrack is great. It has some great tracks on it...No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Rise, Far Behind, Society, ect......I enjoy them all.

I've seen them 30+ times now, and rarely have ever seen them have an "off" night. My buddy and I followed them in 2000 out to Ohio, and saw both Ohio shows, 3 Jones Beach shows, Saratoga, and then both Boston shows. I flew to Seattle for the Groundworks benefit in 2001, and just recently went out to Chicago for Lollapalooza. They're the only band I'll really travel a good distance to see. And seeing them multiple times is so worth it, because of how much they change their set night to night.

And yes, Rhody, the Into The Wild soundtrack is great. It has some great tracks on it...No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Rise, Far Behind, Society, ect......I enjoy them all.
    Wow...I wish I could have seen them that much. I've only gotten to see them twice. I think my world would stop if Bono came out at a show I was at.

Listening to the 9/1/05 show from the Gorge...this'll get me through the afternoon.

Congrats to Ed on winning a Golden Globe for his song "Guaranteed."

As for Ed, he was supposed to be at the Brian Leetch retirement ceremony last night, but couldn't make it due to scheduling conflicts.

Congrats to Ed on winning a Golden Globe for his song "Guaranteed."

As for Ed, he was supposed to be at the Brian Leetch retirement ceremony last night, but couldn't make it due to scheduling conflicts.
    It's ridiculous that he was snubbed from the Oscars. You can't tell me that there were five songs better then one of his 11 off that soundtrack.

NYYF HOF

It's a shame he didn't get nominated for an Academy. I read somewhere that the music from Into the Wild was not eligible due to it being too "lyrical" or something like that. Apparently, the Academy only wants music that is more composition than anything else.

Me thinks they didn't want to risk putting a microphone in front of Ed during an election year. It would have been great to see him perform, though.

It's a shame he didn't get nominated for an Academy. I read somewhere that the music from Into the Wild was not eligible due to it being too "lyrical" or something like that. Apparently, the Academy only wants music that is more composition than anything else.

Me thinks they didn't want to risk putting a microphone in front of Ed during an election year. It would have been great to see him perform, though.
    I don't think that's it. Disney songs win it every year. Elton John won Oscars for the Lion King and those are "lyrical" songs.

As for the mic part, that may be true, but I always thought the Oscars were as left leaning as Eddie is.

NYYF HOF

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008...rules-snu.html

I guess this is what I meant. This explanation is more detailed, but still doesn't make much sense.

Eddie Vedder's work for Into the Wild was also disqualified for Original Score nomination because it's too "song-based," and the Academy wants the category to concentrate on composers creating dramatic scores. That said, Vedder didn't even get a song nomination, though Alan Menken's three cheeze-oid balads for Enchanted got nods. Cue vomiting.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008...rules-snu.html

I guess this is what I meant. This explanation is more detailed, but still doesn't make much sense.

Eddie Vedder's work for Into the Wild was also disqualified for Original Score nomination because it's too "song-based," and the Academy wants the category to concentrate on composers creating dramatic scores. That said, Vedder didn't even get a song nomination, though Alan Menken's three cheeze-oid balads for Enchanted got nods. Cue vomiting.
    Wow...that makes a lot of sense!

Did you know....

I have a beer w/the manager of Pearl Jam often...

[

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonYankee
    Did you know....

You're kidding...right???

Pearl Jam will headline Bonnaroo:

http://www.bonnaroo.com/

And Eddie Vedder will have a short, solo tour of the West Coast to promote his "Into the Wild" record.
    http://www.pearljam.com/news/index.php?what=News#242

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonYankee
    Did you know....

With Kelly Curtis? Are you for real? Give us details, if you may

And Boogie.....there's nothing more I'd rather do than head out west and see Ed doing some solo shows. I just don't think I'm going to have the time to do so.

I'll think about Bonaroo, but I don't think I'll be able to swing that either. I did Lollapalooza last summer, and while it was fun, I think I'm getting too old for the festivals I think I'll wait and try and see them when they're on their own.

If you're to believe some fans out there (specifically from the PJ board I visit), some who have met the guys over the past few weeks say that they are playing more than a handful of shows this summer. Someone said that Mike said they would be playing the Austin City Limits Music Festival this summer, and Jeff apparently said that they were going to be spending more than a week or so in Tennessee for Bonnaroo.

And finally, someone has a source that they'll be playing NY in either June or July, so take that for what it's worth. I would definitely be in NY for a show this summer, if that ends up being true.

Sorry for the long post.

With Kelly Curtis? Are you for real? Give us details, if you may

And Boogie.....there's nothing more I'd rather do than head out west and see Ed doing some solo shows. I just don't think I'm going to have the time to do so.

I'll think about Bonaroo, but I don't think I'll be able to swing that either. I did Lollapalooza last summer, and while it was fun, I think I'm getting too old for the festivals I think I'll wait and try and see them when they're on their own.

If you're to believe some fans out there (specifically from the PJ board I visit), some who have met the guys over the past few weeks say that they are playing more than a handful of shows this summer. Someone said that Mike said they would be playing the Austin City Limits Music Festival this summer, and Jeff apparently said that they were going to be spending more than a week or so in Tennessee for Bonnaroo.

And finally, someone has a source that they'll be playing NY in either June or July, so take that for what it's worth. I would definitely be in NY for a show this summer, if that ends up being true.

Sorry for the long post.
    It's all good with the long post. I enjoy PJ banter! As for the shows, I do hope they play some NYC-area shows. I haven't seen them since 2005 when they did the Canadian shows. Just like you, I am getting older now and with a family, it gets more difficult to attend a show. Bonnaroo would be very nice, but the thought of being stuck in the middle of sweaty fans in the Southern sun just doesn't appeal to me.

Are you referring to the PJ forum over on their website? I used to go on that site all the time, but then, too many numbskulls started posting and I lost interest.

It's all good with the long post. I enjoy PJ banter! As for the shows, I do hope they play some NYC-area shows. I haven't seen them since 2005 when they did the Canadian shows. Just like you, I am getting older now and with a family, it gets more difficult to attend a show. Bonnaroo would be very nice, but the thought of being stuck in the middle of sweaty fans in the Southern sun just doesn't appeal to me.

Are you referring to the PJ forum over on their website? I used to go on that site all the time, but then, too many numbskulls started posting and I lost interest.
    Numbskulls...on an internet message board? Get outta town!

I'm with you on the whole Bonnaroo thing. No desire to bake in the heat with 90,000 stinky people.

It'd make me so happy to have them play a few shows in the east coast this summer.

Thread Information