+ Reply to Thread
Page 462 of 463 FirstFirst ... 362 412 452 459 460 461 462 463 LastLast
Results 11,526 to 11,550 of 11552
    NYYF HOF

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Kenley Jansen, who has 36 saves, and Craig Kimbrel, who has 32, have a chance to have at least 5 wins, at least 35 saves, an ERA below 2.00, and 0 losses. The only pitcher who ever did that was Joe Nathan in 2006. Rivera had 3 wins in 1998, which was his only season without a loss.

ESPN lists 1,314 hitters, and the bottom five in WAR includes two hitters with a combined 940 home runs, Bautista and Pujols. Three of the bottom ten in WAR have at least 20 home runs this year, those two players and Philadelphia's Tommy Joseph. In his career, Pujols has 0.99 WAR per 100 plate appearances with the Cardinals and 0.31 WAR per 100 plate appearances with the Angels. Pujols has 90 RBI, and he could become the first player with at least 100 RBI and negative WAR since Adam Dunn in 2009. In the 17 complete years starting in 2000 that ESPN has statistics for, the only players with at least 100 RBI and negative WAR were Dunn, Tony Batista in 2004, and Fred McGriff in 2000. Batista almost did it in consecutive years as he had 99 RBI and negative WAR in 2003.
    Last edited by EvanJ; 09-04-17 at 10:22 AM.

NYYF HOF

The Angels gave up a tying two run home run when the Athletics were down to their final out. The Angels scored 2 in the top of the eleventh to win 11-9. The Angels used three pitchers in the bottom of the eleventh, so winning pitcher Fernando Salas was the fourth-to-last pitcher on his team. It must be rare for the fourth-to-last pitcher on a team to get a win in extra innings.

JD Martinez hit 4 HRs. Damn they stole him.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    JD Martinez hit 4 HRs. Damn they stole him.
    Yes, they did. The package Arizona gave up was laughably bad. Cashman should definitely look to sign Martinez in the off-season. He'd be a great bat to have in the middle of the line-up.

Another reason I love Bruce Harper. He gives exactly zero shts.

Bryce Harper is recovering from a bone bruise sustained in a scary injury from a few weeks ago -- which means that in addition to his rehab and work at getting back on the field, the Nationals star has time to try new things.
    As he unveiled in a post on his Instagram Story on Tuesday, it looks as if he has (or is at least trying out) a new hairstyle:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/09/05/...bpr=5768707450
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

I wouldnt give a ................ about bryce's hair either if i was a retired nfl running back for the ny jets. 😂😂😂😂

Probably old news, but just visited this site for the first time.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

LMAO. Can this guy get any more corny? Corn rows? Really? Thought I saw it all. Hmm.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    I wouldnt give a ................ about bryce's hair either if i was a retired nfl running back for the ny jets. 😂😂😂😂
    ha ha i was thinking the same thing. good little 3rd down back though.

http://myalltimefavorites.com/wp-con...-York-Jets.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Kenley Jansen, who has 36 saves, and Craig Kimbrel, who has 32, have a chance to have at least 5 wins, at least 35 saves, an ERA below 2.00, and 0 losses. The only pitcher who ever did that was Joe Nathan in 2006. Rivera had 3 wins in 1998, which was his only season without a loss.

ESPN lists 1,314 hitters, and the bottom five in WAR includes two hitters with a combined 940 home runs, Bautista and Pujols. Three of the bottom ten in WAR have at least 20 home runs this year, those two players and Philadelphia's Tommy Joseph. In his career, Pujols has 0.99 WAR per 100 plate appearances with the Cardinals and 0.31 WAR per 100 plate appearances with the Angels. Pujols has 90 RBI, and he could become the first player with at least 100 RBI and negative WAR since Adam Dunn in 2009. In the 17 complete years starting in 2000 that ESPN has statistics for, the only players with at least 100 RBI and negative WAR were Dunn, Tony Batista in 2004, and Fred McGriff in 2000. Batista almost did it in consecutive years as he had 99 RBI and negative WAR in 2003.
    Pujols has always been a great situational hitter. WAR doesn't account for that. And of course WAR penalizes him for all those DPs he hits into.

NYYF HOF

Stephen Strasburg is third on his team with a 2.78 ERA. The last team to have three pitchers with enough innings to qualify and an ERA of 2.78 or lower was the 1985 Dodgers with Orel Hershiser, Fernando Valenzuela, and Bob Welch. John Smoltz never had enough innings to qualify with an ERA that low, and Tom Glavine did it three times.

Of the 22 players with the most intentional walks, only three spent the whole year in the AL. They are Trout, Judge, and Cano. J.D. Martinez changed leagues. 62.3% of the intentional walks have been by NL hitters. I don't have a way of knowing how many NL intentional walks were to the batter before the pitcher, but the leaders in intentional walks are good hitters who won't bat before the pitcher.
    Last edited by EvanJ; 09-08-17 at 08:14 PM.

NYYF HOF

Washington's Oliver Perez and Shawn Kelley became the 57th teammates since 1913 to allow at least 3 earned runs in 0 innings. Washington held on to beat Philadelphia 11-10. Max Scherzer got his 14th win, but I'm sure his team allowing 10 runs is not what he had in mind.

NYYF HOF

Buster Olney made an MVP Poll with Trout, Simmons, Machado, Judge, Ramirez, Schoop, and Altuve. I voted for Trout, and I have Judge and Altuve second and third in some order. I disagree with the fans who have Ramirez in second behind Altuve. Ramirez did well because he got 91% of the vote from Ohio, and Ohio (which has 16 House members) cast more votes than California, Illinois, and Florida combined (those states have 98 House members).

NYYF HOF

Rick Porcello got his 17th loss and could make 3 more starts. He could become the first pitcher to lead his league in losses with at least 20 losses on a first place team.

Every AL division has two teams above .500, one team at .500, and two teams below .500.
    Last edited by EvanJ; 09-10-17 at 06:42 PM.

NYYF HOF

Milwaukee's Zach Davies became the first pitcher to 17 wins, and he had 14 career wins before 2017. Rick Porcello leads with 17 losses. The last time the pitcher(s) with the most losses had at least as many losses as the pitcher(s) with the most wins was in 1981 when five pitchers had 14 wins and two pitchers had 14 losses. The last time the pitcher with the most losses had more losses than the pitcher with the most wins had wins was 1957 when Robin Roberts had 22 losses and Warren Spahn had 21 wins.

NYYF HOF

Mookie Betts became the 58th player since 1913 to have at least 2 home runs, at least 1 triple, and at least 6 RBI.

Miami's Dillon Peters is 0-1 with a 2.50 ERA through 3 career starts. He didn't get his first win because Miami blew a 7-2 lead and lost to Philadelphia 9-8 in 15 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Buster Olney made an MVP Poll with Trout, Simmons, Machado, Judge, Ramirez, Schoop, and Altuve. I voted for Trout, and I have Judge and Altuve second and third in some order. I disagree with the fans who have Ramirez in second behind Altuve. Ramirez did well because he got 91% of the vote from Ohio, and Ohio (which has 16 House members) cast more votes than California, Illinois, and Florida combined (those states have 98 House members).
    I voted Altuve and I don't even believe it should be close.

No single player has had a greater impact on his team's success this year. As good as Trout and Simmons have been, the Angels are likely going to miss the playoffs, so how valuable were they to their team? Same for Machado and Schoop in regards to the O's.

Judge would have had a shot if not for his terrible second half. While Ramirez has been great, I don't believe the Indians would have been a vastly different team without him.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I voted Altuve and I don't even believe it should be close.

No single player has had a greater impact on his team's success this year. As good as Trout and Simmons have been, the Angels are likely going to miss the playoffs, so how valuable were they to their team? Same for Machado and Schoop in regards to the O's.

Judge would have had a shot if not for his terrible second half. While Ramirez has been great, I don't believe the Indians would have been a vastly different team without him.
    And if the Angels make the playoffs, certainly possible, does that mean that Trout gets it? Look at the Angels roster and look at the Astros.

So Dusty Baker is still.......Dusty Baker

Eddie Matz‏Verified account
    @ESPNeddiematz

Very odd scene at Nats Park, where Dusty Baker leaves Max Scherzer - he of the recent neck injury - in the game to start the 7th inning of a meaningless game despite Scherzer's pitch count already being at 95. By the time Baker pulled Scherzer five batters (and no outs) later, Washington's ace had walked the bases loaded, given up the go-ahead hit, and thrown 116 pitches. Yikes.
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    So Dusty Baker is still.......Dusty Baker

Eddie Matz‏Verified account
    @ESPNeddiematz
    thats insane
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

That was as much (or maybe more) Scherzer's doing as Baker's. They discussed his length before the game, and Scherzer specifically wanted to get into the 110+ pitch range to build himself back up heading into the post-season.

Diamondbacks never should've changed their original uni and color scheme. They were unique and pretty cool. They've been wearing them as Throwback Thursday uni's this year. The red/white/black ones that came after were as bland as bland can be, and whatever the heck you call what they wear now with the weird patterns is horrendous.
    Bad manager.

Nathan Eovaldi is pitching for Durham in the Triple-A playoffs, and Kevin Cash is hoping for the 27-year-old to be a veteran influence with the Rays next season. There’s likely to be a spot or two open in the Rays rotation next season, and if Eovaldi can stay healthy (clearly a massive “if”), he could be a solid back-end of the rotation arm, or maybe even fire-arming relief pitcher (though the plan is starter to begin the season). https://www.draysbay.com/2017/9/15/1...ons-my-friends

Who has advantage next season ex Yankee Eovaldi knowing yankees hitters or vice versa yankees hitters?

NYYF HOF

From 1913 through 2016, there were 3 times when a team had 24 strikeouts. That has happened 3 times this year.

Boston became the first team to play 3 games lasting 5:50 or longer in one year.

Tampa Bay's Alex Colome, Austin Pruitt, and Chase Whitley became the 62nd group of at least 3 teammates since 1913 to allow at least 2 earned runs and at least 1 unearned run.

NYYF HOF

Jake Odorizzi became the 244th pitcher since 1913 to have at least 2 starts with 0 or 1 hit allowed and more runs than hits allowed. The only other active players with at least two of those games are Francisco Liriano, Chris Young (the pitcher, not the outfielder who went from us to Boston), Danny Salazar, Oliver Perez, Brandon Morrow, Brandon McCarthy, Sean Manaea, John Lackey, Ubaldo Jimenez, Edwin Jackson, Rich Hill, Jason Hammel, Brandon Finnegan, and Joba Chamberlain (who hasn't pitched since Milwaukee released him in Spring Training but hasn't retired either). 3 out of 15 of them have the first name Brandon.

Thread Information