+ Reply to Thread
Page 499 of 500 FirstFirst ... 399 449 489 496 497 498 499 500 LastLast
Results 12,451 to 12,475 of 12478
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

The Dodgers and Astros have a chance at having three pitchers with at least 13 wins and a winning percentage of at least .750. If both teams do that, it will happen more times this year than in the last 57 years combined. The last time at least three teammates did that was when the 2001 Mariners had Paul Abbott, Freddy Garcia, Jamie Moyer, and Aaron Sele be the only group of four teammates to do that. Before them, the last team was the 1961 Yankees with Luis Arroyo, Whitey Ford, and Ralph Terry.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I sometimes think the SNY production people read this forum -- the Mets did a whole thing with this on the broadcast last night. They used Spy vs. Spy for the uniforms, also something I'd mentioned in the Game Thread: Jerry Seinfeld's member in the dream sequence where it plays chess against his brain.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I sometimes think the SNY production people read this forum -- the Mets did a whole thing with this on the broadcast last night. They used Spy vs. Spy for the uniforms, also something I'd mentioned in the Game Thread: Jerry Seinfeld's member in the dream sequence where it plays chess against his brain.
    I wonder if they know they own this forum.
    Just win!

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I wonder if they know they own this forum.
    Maybe that’s why effdamets is no longer an active user.

Cute story about Altagracia Alvino, mother of Vlad, grandmother of Vlad Jr, who pretty much every home game cooks up massive quantities of dominican food for anyone in the clubhouse (visiting team too), who wants some. Our very own Luis Severino is one of her many fans (her daughter in law cooks for him here in NY).

Before one game in Toronto this season, Alvino’s delivery to the Yankees’ clubhouse was devoured so quickly that Severino requested a special order through the daughter-in-law. He received it the next day.

There is only one rule for those receiving Alvino’s food at the stadium: Wash and send back the plastic container. When Severino’s didn’t come back after one game, Alvino sent another the next day plus a note on top: “Return the container.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/s...mid=tw-nytfood

NYYF Legend

So now ESPN has resorted to showing naked photos of Christian Yelich to try and spice up their broadcasts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Cute story about Altagracia Alvino, mother of Vlad, grandmother of Vlad Jr, who pretty much every home game cooks up massive quantities of dominican food for anyone in the clubhouse (visiting team too), who wants some. Our very own Luis Severino is one of her many fans (her daughter in law cooks for him here in NY).

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/s...mid=tw-nytfood
    Thanks, that is a lovely story.

And what in the world was all that code in your post when I went to quote it?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Thanks, that is a lovely story.

And what in the world was all that code in your post when I went to quote it?
    Weird, I don't know what I did.

NYYF Legend

Horrible story involving a Rays prospect:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...nt/2134031001/

Montgomery Biscuits pitcher Blake Bivens is mourning the loss of his wife, child and mother-in-law after they were found dead in a triple homicide in Virginia on Tuesday, according to reports.

NYYF Legend

Terrible.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Starters have a 4.5089 ERA, and relievers have a 4.5091 ERA. I don't think ESPN is including today's St. Louis at Milwaukee game. Adding in that game and the beginning of today's Yankee game, starters drop to 4.5076, and relievers drop to 4.5079. If ESPN is including the St. Louis at Milwaukee game already and you just add in the beginning of today's Yankee game, starters still have a slightly better ERA. Whether starters or relievers have a better ERA could be decided at 7:00 P.M. or later if any of the games on the last day take a long time. On the last day, every game starts from 3:05 P.M. to 3:15 P.M. Opponents' average, slugging, and OPS are better for relievers, and opponents' on base percentage is better for starters because relievers have a higher walk rate.

NYYF Triple Crown

https://www.reviewjournal.com/videos...n/?jwsource=cl Luke voit Clone? reminds me of Voit.

For the first time since June 16 when the Diamondbacks were 38-35, they are not 2 games within .500 either way. That's a stretch of 62 games straight being at .500, 1 or 2 games away. Which I believe I heard is an MLB record.

Tough night for Ohtani last night, going 0 for 8 with 4 strikeouts. Haven’t heard much about him this year.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    For the first time since June 16 when the Diamondbacks were 38-35, they are not 2 games within .500 either way. That's a stretch of 62 games straight being at .500, 1 or 2 games away. Which I believe I heard is an MLB record.
    I tweeted about that. The old record was 56 games. Read twitter.com/EvanJ3535 (you have to join to follow someone, but you don't have to log in to read it FYI it uses Pacific time if you don't log in).

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Tough night for Ohtani last night, going 0 for 8 with 4 strikeouts. Haven’t heard much about him this year.
    He has a .844 OPS. Last year he had a .925.

Baltimore's Jonathan Villar stole second, third, and home, but I can't find out how rare that is. From 1908 to the present it was the 1,832 time that a player stole at least 3 bases, and I'm not checking that many box scores.

The Mets trailed 1-0, tied it, and scored 5 in the eighth and 5 in the ninth against the Phillies bullpen. The Phillies scored 4 in the bottom of the ninth to lose 11-5. Todd Frazier hit 3 run home runs in the eighth and the ninth. He tied his career-high with 6 RBI, which he did on May 9, 2016 in the White Sox's 8-4 win at Texas. The Mets ended their 6 game losing streak.

Ronald Acuna Jr. has 36 home runs and 31 stolen bases. He's tied for third in MLB in stolen bases, and he leads the NL, which has Washington's Trea Turner second with 29. He has to lead his league in stolen bases while having 40 home runs.
    I'm going to check if that has happened before. Alfonso Soriano led the AL with 41 stolen bases when he hit 39 home runs in 2002.

Edit: Nobody has ever hit at least 40 home runs and led his league in stolen bases.
    Last edited by EvanJ; 08-31-19 at 08:17 PM.

NYYF Legend

This is the eighteenth season of the Cy Young Predictor, and Verlander is on pace to have one of the highest AL scores ever. If he starts every 5 games, he would get 4 more starts and be in line to start the first playoff game. I did his pace assuming he will get 5 more starts, and he's on pace for 207.4. The only higher AL scores are his 241.3 when he won MVP and Cy Young in 2011 and Barry Zito's 212.6 in the first season of the formula in 2002.

NYYF Cy Young

List of all players who have stolen second third and home in the same inning:

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/fea...ird_home.shtml
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Triple Crown

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/05/as...low_twitter_si

Great article to read.
    Much of how the Astros operate is secretive, but one of their career-altering pitching strategies is ridiculously simple, as
    @stephapstein
    discovered

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/05/as...low_twitter_si

Great article to read.
    Much of how the Astros operate is secretive, but one of their career-altering pitching strategies is ridiculously simple, as
    @stephapstein
    discovered
    Said the righthanded Verlander, who came in 2017 from the Tigers in a blockbuster August 31 deal, “A guy like [deadline acquisition Zack] Greinke who’s been around forever, we’ve been able to, as pitchers, talk to him about some stuff he hadn’t really thought of before.”
    Oh yeah? Like what?
    “I can’t get too far into that.”

the thought that someone like Greinke would "not have thought" about something pitching-wise and could improve going to Houston is terrifying
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

NYYF Legend

Buster Olney tweeted that Boston allowed 9 walks. I liked his tweet because it helped me find this rare event that I just tweeted:

"It was the first time in over 13 years and fourth time from 1908 to the present that a losing team allowed 2 or fewer runs, 2 or fewer hits, and at least 9 walks. Teams are now 29-4 (.879) when allowing that. My source is the Baseball-Reference Play Index."

Minnesota won 2-1. The game ended when J.D. Martinez doubled off the Green Monster and Eddie Rosario threw Rafael Devers out at home. Losing pitcher Andrew Cashner allowed no hits and 3 walks. Matt Barnes allowed the game-winning single to score a runner inherited from Cashner.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    the thought that someone like Greinke would "not have thought" about something pitching-wise and could improve going to Houston is terrifying
    Whatever it is, it would be worth a deep dive into the adjustments he makes as an Astro in 2019 and again in 2020 when he has a full offseason to work on any mechanical adjustments.
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

NYYF Legend

https://twitter.com/SamAdamsTV/statu...37113369120773 shows Jake Diekman with two holds in one day with -1 days rest because of a suspended game started in Detroit and finished last Friday in Oakland.

NYYF Legend

MLB wrote about eight surprising statistics leaders including Jose Abreu leading the AL in RBI. It's his sixth season, and in five of them he had at least 25 HR and at least 100 RBI. Last year he didn't do that because of injury. 92 players of whom 6 are active have at least five seasons of 25+ HR and 100+ RBI. The other five active players are Pujols thirteen times, Cabrera twelve times, Encarnacion six times, Arenado five times, and Braun five times. Abreu is 32 and made his MLB debut at 27, so he won't finish with as many seasons as other players. Only 38 players have done that in at least seven season, 31 have done that in at least eight seasons, and 20 have done that in at least nine seasons. A-Rod did it the most times with fourteen, followed by Pujols and Ruth with thirteen.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    MLB wrote about eight surprising statistics leaders including Jose Abreu leading the AL in RBI. It's his sixth season, and in five of them he had at least 25 HR and at least 100 RBI. Last year he didn't do that because of injury. 92 players of whom 6 are active have at least five seasons of 25+ HR and 100+ RBI. The other five active players are Pujols thirteen times, Cabrera twelve times, Encarnacion six times, Arenado five times, and Braun five times. Abreu is 32 and made his MLB debut at 27, so he won't finish with as many seasons as other players. Only 38 players have done that in at least seven season, 31 have done that in at least eight seasons, and 20 have done that in at least nine seasons. A-Rod did it the most times with fourteen, followed by Pujols and Ruth with thirteen.
    Definitely feel like he's an underrated player.

Thread Information