+ Reply to Thread
Page 495 of 495 FirstFirst ... 395 445 485 492 493 494 495
Results 12,351 to 12,372 of 12372
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Minnesota leads MLB in OPS at .849, and Houston is second at .833. Five of Minnesota's nine starters today have a higher OPS than every other team. The last team to have an OPS of at least .849 was Boston's .851 in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Nick Markakis has 2,293 hits, 997 RBI, 1,079 runs, 866 walks. He's close to being the 82nd player with at least 2,300 hits, 1,000 RBI, 1,000 runs, and 850 walks. I know 2,300 and 850 are not milestone amounts, but it's still an accomplishment. In his first 12 years, he had enough plate appearances to qualify 11 times, had 2,052 hits, and wasn't an All-Star. He was an All-Star for the first time last year. Among the active or recent players 36 or older who didn't do that are:

Jose Bautistia: 1,496 hits and 975 RBI
    Edwin Encarnacion: 1,755 hits
    Robinson Cano: 592 walks
    Mark Teixiera: 1,862 hits
    Jimmy Rollins: 936 RBI and 813 walks
    Ryan Braun: 1,852 hits and 559 walks
    Vladimir Guerrero: 737 walks
    Adrian Beltre: 848 walks
    Edgar Martinez: 2,247 hits
    Joe Mauer: 2,123 hits and 923 RBI
    Ichiro Suzuki: 780 RBI and 647 walks
    Nelson Cruz: 1,614 hits and 565 walks
    Lance Berkman: 1,905 hits

A-Rod, Jeter, Williams, Mantle, Gehrig, and Ruth are the only players to do that who spent a long time with the Yankees.

NYYF Triple Crown

@JackCurryYES
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Umpire Angel Hernandez was shifted from Yankees-Jays to the Mets-Giants series in New York tonight. Crew Chief Tom Hallion has a concussion so Hernández is replacing him as the acting crew chief. It was not a disciplinary move after Hernandez’s rough night in Toronto.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @JackCurryYES
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Umpire Angel Hernandez was shifted from Yankees-Jays to the Mets-Giants series in New York tonight. Crew Chief Tom Hallion has a concussion so Hernández is replacing him as the acting crew chief. It was not a disciplinary move after Hernandez’s rough night in Toronto.
    So he does a crap job and gets "REWARDED" for his efforts. Something has to be done about the umpiring.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

NYYF Legend

I made a bunch of tweets about Houston's win at Seattle today. https://twitter.com/EvanJ3535/status...04657454604288 is the first one. You do not have to be logged in to read Twitter, but if you are not logged it in uses Pacific time.

Tyler Austin hitting clean up for San Francisco tonight.

Edit: Also in this game, Mark Melancon intentionally walked Cody Bellinger.

NYYF Legend

Austin has a .800 OPS but strikes out a ton.

The Dodgers have four of the top ten in the NL Cy Young Predictor, and none of them are Kershaw! Hyun-Jin Ryu has a 1.35 ERA. The last pitcher to have an ERA that low was Bob Gibson in 1968, and before him Walter Johnson in 1918!

NYYF Legend

Yesterday Milwaukee won at Houston 6-3 in 14 innings. Houston became the first team from 1908 to the present (probably ever since there used to be much fewer strikeouts per game) to have their pitchers have at least 24 strikeouts and 0 or 1 walk in a loss.

Holy crap, the Padres scored 7 unanswered runs in the 8th and 9th inning (6 in the 9th) to tie the game.

NYYF Legend

The Padres won that game 16-12 and won 14-13 today. I wonder how rare it is to allow at least 12 runs in 2 wins in one series.

Tampa Bay's Avisail Garcia hit a foul pop up that scored Kevin Kiermaier. First baseman Pujols caught it at the bullpen mound facing away from home plate. By definition, a ball caught by an infielder is never a "fly," so it wasn't a sacrifice fly. I think it's unfair that he didn't get an RBI because if he hit the ball to the same place, Kiermaier scored the same way, and the ball had been caught by the right fielder instead, he would have gotten an RBI. A basket is worth the same amount of points regardless of whether the shooter was defended by a center, forward, or guard, so why should whether or not a batter gets an RBI be determined by a fielder's position that's irrelevant to how the run scored?

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    The Padres won that game 16-12 and won 14-13 today. I wonder how rare it is to allow at least 12 runs in 2 wins in one series.

Tampa Bay's Avisail Garcia hit a foul pop up that scored Kevin Kiermaier. First baseman Pujols caught it at the bullpen mound facing away from home plate. By definition, a ball caught by an infielder is never a "fly," so it wasn't a sacrifice fly. I think it's unfair that he didn't get an RBI because if he hit the ball to the same place, Kiermaier scored the same way, and the ball had been caught by the right fielder instead, he would have gotten an RBI. A basket is worth the same amount of points regardless of whether the shooter was defended by a center, forward, or guard, so why should whether or not a batter gets an RBI be determined by a fielder's position that's irrelevant to how the run scored?

why is a ball caught by an infielder never a fly? Would this problem arise also if a 2B is shifted into shallow RF, catches a (non)-flyball and a runner tags and scores from third?
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

NYYF Triple Crown

Yandy Diaz placed on 10-day IL.
    Diaz has been placed on the 10-day injured list due to a right hamstring injury. The Rays recalled Daniel Robertson from Triple-A in a corresponding roster move.

NYYF Legend

On Tuesday, Mookie Betts became the first Red Sox to hit a go-ahead home run in the 13th inning or later of a game the Red Sox lost since July 1, 2004, when Manny Ramirez homered off Tanyon Sturtze in the game known for Jeter flying into the stands as Michael Kay described it. Jayson Stark did not mention the Jeter part.

Oakland’s Frankie Montas suspended 80 games for banned substance.

NYYF Legend

That's big news. Montas allowed 1 earned run in 8 innings of Oakland's win over Tampa Bay that ended after midnight our time. He's 9-2 with a 2.70 ERA and eighth in the AL Cy Young Predictor. Maybe he would have been an All-Star. Oakland is percent points behind Cleveland, 0.5 behind Texas, and 1 game behind Boston, who has Wild Card 2. If you believe that the Yankees don't need help to make the playoffs and that Oakland could help keep Boston out of the playoffs, it's bad news. If you look at head-to-head games, it's good news because Oakland has played both series against Boston and hasn't played us. Montas started in one of the two series against Boston and got a loss when he allowed 7 runs of which only 1 was earned.

In his third start of the season and first start after the 60 day injured list, Cleveland's Mike Clevinger sprained his ankle and went on the 10 day injured list.

NYYF Legend

Oh Frankie.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

NYYF Legend

I'd say his suspension kills my fantasy team, but that team is in last place 31 games out of first in a 20 team league. But this might kill his keeper value.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'd say his suspension kills my fantasy team, but that team is in last place 31 games out of first in a 20 team league. But this might kill his keeper value.
    Get this.... on my roto team I got destroyed in my OF and it killed my power and OBP.
    Judge
    Gallo
    Pollock
    Pence

Meanwhile Harper isn't Harper. Devers and Segura keep missing time. And I just lost Mondesi which hurts my SB.

I'm worried I won't be able to catch up even when my team is whole again.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Get this.... on my roto team I got destroyed in my OF and it killed my power and OBP.
    Judge
    Gallo
    Pollock
    Pence

Meanwhile Harper isn't Harper. Devers and Segura keep missing time. And I just lost Mondesi which hurts my SB.

I'm worried I won't be able to catch up even when my team is whole again.
    My teams have been a cluster#### of injuries all year so yeah I get where you're coming from. Just one of those years.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Cy Young

Dodgers have a .780 record at home.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

Tyler Webb, who had a 4.50 ERA in 7 games for the Yankees in 2017 with no decisions or save opportunities, got 1 out for his first career save. St. Louis wanted Jordan Hicks to get a 5 out save, but he got 4 outs and left with right triceps tendinitis.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Dodgers have a .780 record at home.
    Figures in a season the Yankees go to Dodgers Stadium.

Thread Information