+ Reply to Thread
Page 483 of 490 FirstFirst ... 383 433 473 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 ... LastLast
Results 12,051 to 12,075 of 12237
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    San Francisco Giants closer Hunter Strickland pulled a Kevin Brown, but even worse. OUCH!
    https://www.sfgate.com/giants/articl...l-13008665.php
    We old folk know that Doyle Alexander invented the punch-a-wall injury long before Kevin Brown.

NYYF Legend

The Mike Troutest thing ever is that he's on pace to have the single greatest season in MLB history and hasn't won American League Player of the Week once this year. Or last year. Or in 2016, either. Last time he won: July 12, 2015. He's just that good every week.
    https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...677624320?s=19

People really take him for granted.

Not much of a playoff race going on in the AL. Angels are 7.5 out for a wildcard. Long way to go but for now it’s 5 teams doing well and every other team isn’t.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Not much of a playoff race going on in the AL. Angels are 7.5 out for a wildcard. Long way to go but for now it’s 5 teams doing well and every other team isn’t.
    Yup.

Right now, it's pretty much Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, Indians and Mariners.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    San Francisco Giants closer Hunter Strickland pulled a Kevin Brown, but even worse. OUCH!
    https://www.sfgate.com/giants/articl...l-13008665.php
    Couldn't have happened to a worse person in MLB. Karma for beaning Harper.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I'd still argue that the Mariners are going to come back to the pack in a big way. The question is can the Angels take advantage. Except for Trout, they seem to be walking around in a daze since the Ohtani injury.

I'd also say that the Twins have 86/87 win capability, but they've dug themselves such a deep hole. It's a steep climb out.

Hanley Ramirez being involved in a drug ring is very hilarious to me.

NYYF Legend

Boston came back to beat Seattle 14-10. Seattle's Nelson Cruz became the first player since 1908 (probably ever) to have at least 2 home runs, at least 4 hits, and at least 7 RBI in a game his team lost by at least 4 runs.

NYYF Legend

ESPN says that Oakland will call up Edwin Jackson to start tomorrow. Jackson has spent this year in the minors so far, but Oakland has 5 injured starters. Jackson will tie Octavio Dotel's record of 13 teams played for.

NYYF Legend

Yesterday at the Mets, the Dodgers scored 8 runs on 7 solo home runs and 1 grounded into a double play, which does not give the batter an RBI. They became the first team since 1908 (probably ever) to score at least 8 runs and have the same amount of home runs and RBI.

NYYF Legend

Very interesting article about Greinke fielding bunt.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ill-world-best

Ex-Boston Red Sox outfielder Chris Young on Mike Trout vs. Mookie Betts debate: 'You're good either way'

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/inde...rt_river_index

Young said Tuesday that the two players prepare for games much differently from each other, with Betts being the more cerebral of the two.

"Trouty is so athletically gifted and is such a natural at the game that he kind of just shows up and trusts his instincts," Young told MassLive.com. "I think Mook is more of a thinker. He's more of a diligent worker as far as being more methodical in the way he goes about his business. He does his research and asks a lot of questions. He's always trying to make adjustments with his game."

Mookie's smart player and thinker.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Jayson Werth retires. He had some very good years. He played the game hard and well. Peace out.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...to-retire.html
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Zack Greinke went 2-for-3 with 1 run, 1 RBI, and 1 stolen base in Arizona's 4-0 win in which Miami had 10 hits. He made it the 88th time since 1908 and the first time since 1995 that a pitcher had at least 2 hits, at least 1 run, at least 1 RBI, and at least 1 stolen base. He became the eighth pitcher since 1908 and the third pitcher since 1935 to do that in a game that his team did not allow a run in, and here is the list:

1. New York Giants' Joe McGinnity vs. St. Louis on July 30, 1908
    2. Kansas City Packers (Federal League)'s Chief Johnson vs. Buffalo on August 14, 1915 in Game 1 of a doubleheader
    3. St. Louis Terriers (Federal League)'s Doc Crandall vs. Baltimore Terrapins on September 22, 1915 in Game 2 of a doubleheader
    4. Cincinnati's Dolf Luque vs. New York Giants on May 18, 1923
    5. St. Louis's Dizzy Dean vs. Philadelphia on September 8, 1935 in Game 1 of a doubleheader
    6. Minnesota's Luis Tiant vs. Detroit on April 26, 1970
    7. Chicago Cubs' Rick Sutcliffe vs. Montreal on April 17, 1987
    8. Arizona's Zack Greinke vs. Miami on June 28, 2018

Miami made it the 58th time since 1908 that a team had at least 10 hits, 0 runs, and 0 walks.

NYYF Legend

In a 17-7 loss hosting Washington last night, Philadelphia's Nick Pivetta and Hector Neris became the first teammates since 1908 (probably ever) to allow at least 5 runs and at least 3 home runs in 1 2/3 or fewer innings.

Alex Rodriguez: Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez are better power duo than Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...630-story.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Alex Rodriguez: Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez are better power duo than Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton
    Endlessly fascinating. Does the team with the best "power duo" win a prize? I'm not sure I even know (or care) what a "power duo" is. When I'm looking for a "power trio" though, I usually settle on Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Endlessly fascinating. Does the team with the best "power duo" win a prize? I'm not sure I even know (or care) what a "power duo" is. When I'm looking for a "power trio" though, I usually settle on Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

Not a big Dino, Desi & Billy fan?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Not a big Dino, Desi & Billy fan?
    I literally had not heard of them until your post. Wow what a decade for nepotism, I had thought Gary Lewis and Nancy Sinatra was bad enough.

Having seen them now, all I can say is MMM-BOP! Hanson stood on the shoulders of midgets.

NYYF Legend

Colorado sent down Jon Gray. He has a 5.77 ERA and a 3.08 FIP. That's because his BABIP is .386, which is by far the worst of the 88 pitchers with enough innings to qualify. The second worst BABIP is Nick Pivetta at .333. The middle two BABIPs are .284 and .283, so Pivetta is closer to the median than the Gray. According to Fangraphs, the last pitcher with a BABIP of .386 or worse was .414 by The Only Nolan (a strange name) in 1884. The worst BABIP in a complete season in the 1900s or 2000s was .364 by Happy Finneran in 1918. Lee Sweetland was at .357 in 1930, and the worst BABIP since then (and the worst BABIP by a player current fans will know) was .355 by Kevin Brown in 1994. The median BABIP for 9,848 pitcher seasons is .279, so 2018 is close to that. The worst BABIP by a Yankee was .339 by Pineda in 2016. Fangraphs has the Yankee record at .342 by Charlie Shields, but that was in 1902 and other sources changed 1901 and 1902 to not being part of the Yankees. The best BABIP ever is .155 by Ed Cushman in 1884, and the best in the last 111 years was .202 by Dave McNally in 1968. The lowest BABIP by a Yankee was .208 by Tommy Byrne in 1949, and the best by a Yankee in the 1990s or 2000s was .245 by Hideki Irabu in 1998. Among active players, the highest was .352 by Robbie Ray in 2016, and the lowest was .216 by Marco Estrada in 2015. Milwaukee's Chase Anderson has a .209, so he could finish with the lowest BABIP by an active player.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    At this point he is right, and sad to say, it's not that close looking at production..

However, so what? If this were the NBA we'd be screwed.. But if you compare the bottom of the their lineup to ours, that's also a mismatch.. The Sox can rake, but are a bit top heavy..
    Their first 6 hitters are as good, if not better, than ours..

But once Gary comes back, we have guys like Bird, Andu and Gley down there when at full strength.
    I'm terrified when we have to face Mook, JD, Beni.... But Brock Holt, Sandy Leon, Christian V, even JBJ, there are landing spots on their lineup. There are none in ours..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

I prefer pre "Power Windows" Rush myself.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6106537-v...partners/41255

​Breaking news: the only thing filled with more threats and fewer punches than a brawl in a baseball game is a brawl by fans on their way to the baseball game. Yankees and Red Sox fans got into it on Sunday night on the train and to no one's surprise it doesn't look like anyone connected on a single punch.

NYYF Legend

Washington's Tanner Roark allowed 9 runs in 7 innings. He became the 1,201st pitcher since 1908, the 25th pitcher (24 including Jaime Navarro who did it twice) since 1983, and the first pitcher since Edwin Jackson on August 3, 2011 to allow at least 9 runs and pitch at least 7 innings. Boston leads 9-3 in the ninth.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/...v7yofmnt60VbN/
    “They’re a good team; you want to do well against them,” said Newcomb, who fired just 35 strikes in 70 pitches on a steamy night when his shirt and cap were drenched in sweat before the end of a two-run first inning. “But good lineups beating you, it happens obviously. Something that, when you look at that start and they did well against you, them being a good lineup’s gonna be a reason why. (It was) not having my best stuff, though, more than the lineup.”

“Yeah, it was a hot day, it was definitely humid, sweating a good amount,” he said. “Everybody (had the same conditions) though. It was something that was tough to deal with, another thing to kind of work with out there.”

Newcomb was one strike away from making it out of the first inning unscathed, before Giancarlo Stanton hit a two-out, two-strike single and Aaron Hicks hit a two-run homer to the short right-field porch at Yankee Stadium.

“Yeah, I mean balls get kind of sucked up out there (in right field), so that’s just frustrating,” he said. “Nevermind the base hit before, that was pretty frustrating as well. But just exactly that – a little frustrating, just kind of got me a little bit.

Braves manager Brian Snitker said of Newcomb’s performance: “Just seemed like it was one of them days. Didn’t seem like he was hurting or anything like that, just having a hard time controlling everything. That’s it. Just one of them days.”

As for the heat and humidity playing a factor with gripping the ball, Snitker said, “That didn’t help, I know that. But everybody has to do that. I just think he kind of was off with everything, pretty much. It was a grind for him.”

Thread Information