+ Reply to Thread
Page 472 of 482 FirstFirst ... 372 422 462 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 ... LastLast
Results 11,776 to 11,800 of 12047
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    well I’m definitely avoiding Rays starters in all my fantasy leagues now.
    They aren't going on 3 days rest. The times they do need a 5th starter they will make it a bullpen game.

They just aren't giving their "best 4 starters" extra rest.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Royals bring Moose back on a 1 year $6.5 million deal. I thought BorASS got his players the best deals? LOL! See this is what I mean about BorASS being bad for his clients as much as he is good for them. He cost Moose multi-millions of dollars for asking for way too man years.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

I don't like Boras in any way shape or form, but being fair and playing devil's advocate is there anyone who can honestly say they knew this was going to happen from the beginning and argued that Moustakas was better off accepting the QO from the Royals this offseason? He certainly was not going to get 9 figures or anything, but if someone mentioned a deal of say a 2 year 30 million with option for third year or something like that (not necessarily by the Yankees but any team in general), would anyone have bet that he will not be able to get that?

NYYF Legend

No he would not have gotten an offer like that because no team was going to hand over the Royals their first round pick for only 2-3 years of Moustakas.

Point about the short years , so instead lets say a 4 year 44 million deal with maybe an option for 5th...would that have been too crazy of a goal for a 29 years old solid 3B coming off 38HR year? I'm not saying pay him like a career allstar, but that deal is cheaper than what Headley got three years ago. Age 29 through 32 is not exactly too bad of a length for the team, but it gives some stability and certainly better than a one year QO IMO.

Again, I'm not trying to defend Boras, but Boras or not I honestly can't think of any agent that would've been able to read the market to the point where they would have suggested accepting an one year QO (and as a result having to compete with Machado and Donaldson) is better than testing the market as of November last year.

“Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    But A-Rod's not black.

NYYF Cy Young

Part of the government spending bill that Congress is going to be considering this week includes a provision that exempts minor league baseball players from federal labor laws. This is coming from years of lobbying by MLB due to lawsuits from minor leaguers about being illegally underpaid (some teams only pay their players $1,100 a month). Screw Manfred and the MLB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...mpression=true

Yankees and Red Sox to play a 2 game series in London in 2019.
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    Yankees and Red Sox to play a 2 game series in London in 2019.
    That would be like going to see Hamilton at the West End.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Yeah, why not just give them Padres-Marlins? It's not like they're into the Yanks-Sox rivalry over there.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Looking forward to doing that too!

Yeah, why not just give them Padres-Marlins? It's not like they're into the Yanks-Sox rivalry over there.
    Sure we are. (Remember when the US filmed a re-make of 'Fever Pitch' and set it in Boston? That got released in Europe too.)

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Baseball is trying to extend their brand into Europe. Giving them a Padres-Marlins series is not going to attract much attention.

And, I am certain that there are people in Europe who are into the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. Those two brands are known worldwide.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Baseball is trying to extend their brand into Europe. Giving them a Padres-Marlins series is not going to attract much attention.

And, I am certain that there are people in Europe who are into the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. Those two brands are known worldwide.
    I wonder what they'll use for a baseball stadium. If it were Marlins-Padres, they wouldn't have to worry about that - they could play in a sandlot with some bleachers set up.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Apparently it'll be the stadium they used for the 2012 Olympics. I used to live a few miles away. It's currently used for some athletics and for West Ham Football Club between August and May. Capacity around 50k, I think.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    Apparently it'll be the stadium they used for the 2012 Olympics. I used to live a few miles away. It's currently used for some athletics and for West Ham Football Club between August and May. Capacity around 50k, I think.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

There was no baseball in the 2012 Olympics. Baseball was dropped after the 2008 games but will return in 2020 in Japan. So basically it will a converted soccer stadium.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    There was no baseball in the 2012 Olympics. Baseball was dropped after the 2008 games but will return in 2020 in Japan. So basically it will a converted soccer stadium.
    Correct - sorry, I should have been more clear. It's the main stadium for the 2012 Olympics where the biggest events, including the opening and closing ceremonies, were held. Track and field basically all came from the stadium in Stratford, which was purpose-built for the occasion, then didn't have anyone else to use it, so it became a political football, until West Ham agreed to use it for . . . actual football. (Soccer.)

You can imagine my emotions, as a baseball fan, when it turned out the Olympics were going to be held within walking distance of my flat, but that baseball had been dropped from the events. That was the only ^&$%("! one I cared about!

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    Correct - sorry, I should have been more clear. It's the main stadium for the 2012 Olympics where the biggest events, including the opening and closing ceremonies, were held. Track and field basically all came from the stadium in Stratford, which was purpose-built for the occasion, then didn't have anyone else to use it, so it became a political football, until West Ham agreed to use it for . . . actual football. (Soccer.)

You can imagine my emotions, as a baseball fan, when it turned out the Olympics were going to be held within walking distance of my flat, but that baseball had been dropped from the events. That was the only ^&$%("! one I cared about!

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Fortunately, very few of the English will know the difference between a good stadium for watching baseball and a terrible one. London Stadium looks to be a terrible one.

It also looks like it will be about 600 feet to center field.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

A cricket ground would have been more appropriate, but they're obviously in use during the summer, and the preparation of cricket pitches is quite an art. Having MLB players sliding all over the middle wouldn't do. (Remember https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/sos...l-6313953.html?)

Additionally, the UK cricket grounds are generally low in capacity, 20k-25k max. Australia has some great ones, just over 100k in the MCG. (Over 120k in the 1970s!)

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Meh, if the Jacksonville Jaguars, until recently an awful team, were good enough for yearly dates in Wembley, the Marlins are.

Also I don't want the Yankees subjected to British food.

NYYF Legend

Now that's fearmongering. The players should also not leave their hotel either cause they might get hit by a double decker bus.

Meh, if the Jacksonville Jaguars, until recently an awful team, were good enough for yearly dates in Wembley, the Marlins are.

Or, God forbid, Aaron Judge losing another tooth while there.

NYYF Legend

Looks like you WILL be seeing us (some of us anyway), Saxmania!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Now that's fearmongering. The players should also not leave their hotel either cause they might get hit by a double decker bus.
    Now this is what I'm talking about. Those things are tall, menacing and drive on the wrong side of the road. Aaron Judge gets a bellyful of haggis, walks out into Piccadilly Circus and BLAMMO! It's all fun and games until your best home run hitter becomes an unwitting hood ornament.

Not to mention all the drunken baseball hooligans marauding the streets.

The Yankees should pull out of this series immediately.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Looks like you WILL be seeing us (some of us anyway), Saxmania!
    First beer's on me! I'll even find a cold one for you . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Thread Information