+ Reply to Thread
Page 487 of 489 FirstFirst ... 387 437 477 484 485 486 487 488 489 LastLast
Results 12,151 to 12,175 of 12208

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

https://twitter.com/i/status/1024660909439021056

Neal Huntington been trying to acquire Archer since 2007

Last season as Angels manager for Mike Scioscia.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports Angels manager Mike Scioscia is expected to step down as manager at the end of the season.
    Citing sources, Rosenthal says the decision would be Scioscia's and would not be the result of pressure from the organization. The rest of the details are in the piece. Scioscia has been the Angels' manager since the beginning of the 2000 season. Both Scioscia and Angels general manager Billy Eppler declined comment for Rosenthal's piece. Aug 4 - 11:16 PM
    http://rotoworld.com/player/mlb/7406/mike-scioscia
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Legend

I read that Scioscia said he hasn't decided yet.

If Trout and Votto lead keep their league leads in on base percentage, it will be the first time the AL and NL had the same pair of on base percentage leaders for three consecutive seasons since Boston's Ted Williams and Pittsburgh's Elbie Fletcher from 1940 to 1942. The only other time it happened was by Gehrig and Pittsburgh's Arky Vaughan from 1934 to 1936.

NYYF Legend

Including today's off day, Atlanta starts with 108 games in 131 days. Subtracting the All-Star Break makes 127 days, which 19 fewer games than days. At that rate, they would have 9.5 fewer games than days for 54 games. They end with 54 games in 55 days, with 3 off days and 2 doubleheaders. They trail Philadelphia by 1.5 games, with 3 fewer wins and the same amount of losses. It may sound good to be even in the loss column, but it could be bad to have so little rest. They have 30 of 54 games at home, but they have a better winning percentage away.

NYYF Legend

The White Sox's Matt Davidson is trying to become Shohei Ohtani. In his first 212 games, he played DH, 1B, and 3B. On June 29, he pitched for the first time. In the 39 days from June 29 through yesterday, he pitched 3 scoreless innings. I wonder if a position player had ever had 3 consecutive scoreless appearances of at least 1 inning in 39 days before.

@GeorgeAKingIII
    Following Following @GeorgeAKingIII
    More
    Marlins CEO Derek Jeter will not attend the 20th celebration of the 1998 Yankees World Series Aug. 18 at Yankee Stadium but plans on sending a video tribute to the fans. Pitcher Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez is not on the list of those attending.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Interesting analysis of the Thurman Munson tragedy:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/s...h-yankees.html
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Philadelphia's Cesar Hernandez has a case for the best bunt ever. He scored on his bunt and two throwing errors.

Juan Soto of the Nats hit his 14th HR as a teen, passing Mickey Mantle on the list. Next up is Ken Griffey Jr with 16. He doesn’t turn 20 til October so has an outside chance at the record, 24.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Philadelphia's Cesar Hernandez has a case for the best bunt ever. He scored on his bunt and two throwing errors.
    And he didn't even need Tommy John's help.

NYYF Legend

Today at the Mets, Cincinnati's Michael Lorenzen pinch hit and pitched for the fourth time this year. He became the 16th pitcher since 1908 to have at least 4 games in a year that he pinch hit and pitched in, and the last pitcher to do that was Dennis Cook in 1990. The season record since 1908 is 15 times by Chubby Dean in 1939. Furthermore, Lorenzen is hitless in those games and no player has done that at least 4 times in a year since 1908 without having a hit in those games.

Zack Meisel

More
    Indians have officially released Zach McAllister.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Interesting analysis of the Thurman Munson tragedy:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/s...h-yankees.html
    Thank you so much for that.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

@BNightengale
    now5 seconds ago
    More
    Tough day for the #MLB scouting industry. The Seattle #Mariners lay off 10 scouts, five from professional side and five from amateur side. Brutal times

NYYF Cy Young

Like almost everyone here, I hate the Red Sox and love to see them lose, and there isn't much I like about their organization. However, none of it is personal. I just read that Jerry Remy has more health issues, and if you are so inclined, please pray for him.

https://www.boston.com/sports/media/...-cancer-battle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Like almost everyone here, I hate the Red Sox and love to see them lose, and there isn't much I like about their organization. However, none of it is personal. I just read that Jerry Remy has more health issues, and if you are so inclined, please pray for him.

https://www.boston.com/sports/media/...-cancer-battle
    Agreed! This is more about humanity than rivalry.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Hurrah!

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...yankee-stadium

Rookie right-hander Ariel Jurado will start on the big stage of New York's Yankee Stadium on Thursday.

Rangers manager Jeff Banister said there are no concerns about using Jurado, 22, in this situation

"This is an honor for me to pitch in a stadium that is so famous,'' said Jurado, speaking through an interpreter. "For me, I'm going to continue the same things I'm doing."

Jurado is 2-0 with a 2.45 ERA in his last two starts. He has had an effective sinker in each start and had eight ground-ball outs in each game.

Rookies are 3-3 with a 2.54 ERA for nine starts at Yankee Stadium this season. Rookies are 24-29 with a 4.98 ERA for 86 starts at the park since it opened in 2009.

NYYF Legend

Tonight at Toronto, Boston's Mookie Betts became the 21st player since 1908 to hit for the cycle with a hit in every at-bat, at least 2 runs, and at least 1 walk. The Red Sox lost 8-5, and it was the second time since 1908 that a player did that when his team scored 5 or fewer runs. The last time it happened was on July 25, 1912, when the New York Highlanders' Bert Daniels did it in a 6-4 loss hosting the Chicago White Sox. After that year, the Highlanders changed names to the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

A’s acquired Fernando Rodney. On purpose.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    A’s acquired Fernando Rodney. On purpose.
    I once heard Mike Mussina at a banquet say that Oakland A's fans were the worst he ever had to deal with as a visiting player, so this pleases me. Between Rodney and Familia, I'd love to own the Pepto Bismol concession at that stadium.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Tonight at Toronto, Boston's Mookie Betts became the 21st player since 1908 to hit for the cycle with a hit in every at-bat, at least 2 runs, and at least 1 walk. The Red Sox lost 8-5, and it was the second time since 1908 that a player did that when his team scored 5 or fewer runs. The last time it happened was on July 25, 1912, when the New York Highlanders' Bert Daniels did it in a 6-4 loss hosting the Chicago White Sox. After that year, the Highlanders changed names to the Yankees.
    Maybe the Red Sox will change their name next year to the Blue Garters.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Maybe the Red Sox will change their name next year to the Blue Garters.
    Little known fact: The Yankees were commonly referred to in public as the "Yankees" as early as 1904, their second year of existence. They just didn't change the letterhead until 1913. The name "Highlanders" was a stinkbomb from the get-go, never popular with fans or media.

Other little known fact: "Highlanders" wasn't a reference to Hilltop Park, their first stadium, as many believe. It was a Boer War (1899-1902) reference. Dispatches from the Boer War were a fixture in newspapers back then. The Yankees' first team president (rough equivalent of a modern GM) was a man with the last name Gordon. The most celebrated military unit of the Boer War was a Scottish infantry unit called Gordon's Highlanders. Get it?

Thread Information