+ Reply to Thread
Page 478 of 490 FirstFirst ... 378 428 468 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 488 ... LastLast
Results 11,926 to 11,950 of 12237

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

I read somewhere that the doctor would clear him to pitch again but would not clear him for the remainder of 2018 so he heals up properly. Obviously baseball takes the back seat in these types of situations, but it is still great to hear Farquhar will be able to play the sport he loves.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    I read somewhere that the doctor would clear him to pitch again but would not clear him for the remainder of 2018 so he heals up properly.
    You may have read it in the third paragraph of the story I linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    You may have read it in the third paragraph of the story I linked to.
    Lmao my bad I didn't actually read the article. I just read the quote you put in your post.

Fighting Buckshowalters and O's 2 winning streak. break up O's.

What..

What is the point of this?
    keithlaw‏Verified account @keithlaw 1h1 hour ago

tough call for David Hess of the Orioles - making his major league debut today on short rest (last pitched 5/8, 84 pitches, 7 innings)

3 replies 1 retweet 7 likes

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    What is the point of this?
    He's their 18th best prospect, but only 12th best pitching prospect. Apparently he's viewed as fodder.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletic..._medium=social

“I didn’t feel myself get tagged,” Olson said. “There are professionals looking at it, I trust that I did get tagged. I don’t know, I think they have super slo-mo. It’s hard to tell from the replay I saw. If he got anything, it was just barely any jersey.”

Olson said he doesn’t have a “huge array of slides,” but did the best he could, and he arched his back away from Sanchez when he saw he was reaching back for him. “I guess not enough,” he said.

Whatever the case, it was very close. Gardner said he thought Olson was safe, too, until he saw the replay. “It wasn’t even close once you saw the replay,” he said. “The camera, once they slow it down, it doesn’t lie. It’s obviously a bang-bang play.”

“We’re on the wrong side of that every single time, it seems like,” A’s manager Bob Melvin said of call reversals. “The call was out, they said they saw some sort of touch there. There’s not much we can do about it.”

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/s...51102728179712
    @mike_petriello

xwOBA is a relatively simple stat that doesn't try to do more than it does, but I have to say, the top names on the leaderboard (min 100 PA) are really, really satisfying:

.520 -- Betts
    .466 -- Freeman
    .465 -- Harper
    .464 -- Trout
    .455 -- Votto
    .452 -- JD M
    .450 -- Bryant

Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera 'so mad' about Robinson Canó suspension

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ion/613140002/

“That’s why I’m so mad,” Cabrera said. “He’s a Hall of Fame player.”

“He play every day,” Cabrera said. “He do everything right. Now everybody is going to write all this stupid (crap).”

Cabrera said he doesn’t care what others think about Canó.

“I know Canó for a lot of years and I know he didn’t cheat,” Cabrera told the Free Press. “I’m (expletive) mad right now.

“His doctor prescribed the medication. I think he got all the paperwork. Why he get positive? I don’t understand that. If it’s something for him to get better.”

Asked if he’s ever concerned about medication he takes in the offseason, Cabrera said: “No, because I live in Miami. If I lived in Venezuela, I might test positive, too. If I need some medicine, I gotta take (it).

“If I gotta take something to get better if I’m sick, I’m going to take it. I’m going to do the same thing Canó do because I need it. If I’m in Venezuela, not here in the United States.”

David Ortiz: Yankees lost out on Cano
    By ESPN.COM NEWS SERVICES via ESPN December 7, 2013

haha. We have Judge and Stanton.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/david-...ry?id=21134636

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera 'so mad' about Robinson Canó suspension

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ion/613140002/

“That’s why I’m so mad,” Cabrera said. “He’s a Hall of Fame player.”

“He play every day,” Cabrera said. “He do everything right. Now everybody is going to write all this stupid (crap).”

Cabrera said he doesn’t care what others think about Canó.

“I know Canó for a lot of years and I know he didn’t cheat,” Cabrera told the Free Press. “I’m (expletive) mad right now.

“His doctor prescribed the medication. I think he got all the paperwork. Why he get positive? I don’t understand that. If it’s something for him to get better.”

Asked if he’s ever concerned about medication he takes in the offseason, Cabrera said: “No, because I live in Miami. If I lived in Venezuela, I might test positive, too. If I need some medicine, I gotta take (it).

“If I gotta take something to get better if I’m sick, I’m going to take it. I’m going to do the same thing Canó do because I need it. If I’m in Venezuela, not here in the United States.”
    Interesting perspective about foreign doctors.

I'm still not buying it but at least it's a somewhat plausible explanation.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Interesting perspective about foreign doctors.

I'm still not buying it but at least it's a somewhat plausible explanation.
    I give no credence to any attempt at mitigation unless and until he specifies the medical condition that required administration of this particular diuretic, ideally with supporting lab tests, doctor's exam notes, etc. He has not done so. Yes, he has the right to keep his medical info confidential. And I have the right not to believe him without it.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I give no credence to any attempt at mitigation unless and until he specifies the medical condition that required administration of this particular diuretic, ideally with supporting lab tests, doctor's exam notes, etc. He has not done so. Yes, he has the right to keep his medical info confidential. And I have the right not to believe him without it.
    If the Lasix was prescribed for a legitimate medical condition, he should be able to produce this documentation, which would demonstrate that he was NOT taking the medication for its screening properties.

The fact that the Independent Program Administration either was not given this documentation - or rejected it - tells me that something was fishy in Denmark.

BTW - I really disagree with the timing of this announcement. It seems to me that he gave up this appeal knowing that he was effectively shortening the suspension, since he could not play for the next X number of weeks.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Not to change the subject (also being discussed in the Former Yankees Performance thread), but ...

So, why DO women have to play softball, not baseball? Discuss.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Not to change the subject (also being discussed in the Former Yankees Performance thread), but ...

So, why DO women have to play softball, not baseball? Discuss.
    This addresses a lot of your questions.

There’s some other salient points as women and baseball throughout the past 150 or so years, but here’s an interesting one:

Later in the century, Title IX, the 1972 law mandating gender equity in federally funded education programs, helped girls' sports grow. But it did not do much for women's baseball. Jocelyn Samuels, vice president for education and employment at the National Women's Law Center, explained that Title IX does not mandate the kind of sport programs schools should have... only that women and men's sports should be funded equally.

Attorney Sue Lukasik, an advocate of women's baseball, explained that because softball and baseball were deemed equivalent sports during the 1970s, schools were within their rights in denying girls baseball when softball was available.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    This addresses a lot of your questions.
    I've seen that page before (it's from 2005), probably when we had an earlier discussion on whether a woman could ever break into MLB. And I don't have "a lot" of questions. I have one:
    Why DO women have to play softball, not baseball?
    Here's a couple more tweets from Diamond:

alerting Yankees pitchers- dont throw curves and sliders any count to Altuve. Buster Olney

Verified account

@Buster_ESPN
    Following Following @Buster_ESPN
    More
    From Statcast: Jose Altuve is batting .363 vs. curves/sliders in 2018, the second-highest in MLB (Min. 30 at-bats).

7:32 AM - 19 May 2018

NYYF Legend

I've seen that page before (it's from 2005), probably when we had an earlier discussion on whether a woman could ever break into MLB. And I don't have "a lot" of questions. I have one:

My take is that it is a manifestation of the age-old predilection of males to protect females. It is certainly easier to get hurt playing hardball than softball, when speaking of adults, and this drives the decision about what children should play. . Headmasters and athletic directors have been male, looking back over recent decades. Parents are likely to buy into this. Add the universal constant of inertia and you have your answer.

I'd say the danger is overstated. As long as players are at parity in physical size and strength, I don't think the additional risk is material. Let the girls play.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

There's a young French woman who wanted to play in the World Baseball Classic. MLB said that any team that wants to sign her is allowed.

I wonder how the Rays attendance compares to the Eckerd College graduation at Tropicana Field. Wikipedia says Eckerd has 1,800 students, is Presbyterian, and is in Division II.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

This may deserve its own thread: Rays started a reliever in this weekend's games against the Angels...they brought in the stater in the second inning:
    http://www.tampabay.com/rays-plan-to...e9176be4d3cd0c
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb...211539139.html

“I was pitching well, keeping them off balance a little bit,” Skoglund said. “They changed their approach a little bit in the fourth inning.”

“First three innings, I thought he was really, really good,” Royals manager Ned Yost said. “He was pitching aggressively in. Then he just kind of lost command.”

Skoglund has mixed effective outings, like 7 2/3 innings of two-run ball against the Rays in his previous start, with games like Sunday.

After the third, Yost wanted to allow Skoglund to work out of difficulty.

“If he’s not totally overwhelmed, try to allow him to pitch through some trouble,” Yost said. “These are all learning opportunities. Adversity is good, games like this are good, if (he) reflects on it … I see bright spots in game like today, and I see where the lights go out. But they’re all good experiences.”

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/outf...st/c-277558694

So Astros placed Derek Fisher on DL with Digestive Issue? Do we really believe He's injured? He seems fine when He scored run other day. These teams taking advantage of Disable List. Yankees should do same with Gardner.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/outf...st/c-277558694

So Astros placed Derek Fisher on DL with Digestive Issue? Do we really believe He's injured? He seems fine when He scored run other day. These teams taking advantage of Disable List. Yankees should do same with Gardner.
    If he's not having medical issues then wouldn't they just option him out as he has options. Why clutter the DL and still pay him MLB wages.

Thread Information