+ Reply to Thread
Page 489 of 489 FirstFirst ... 389 439 479 486 487 488 489
Results 12,201 to 12,208 of 12208
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

I'm not seeing how we can say they didn't retire the batter. If Greg Bird grounds into a simple 4-6 force out at 2nd to end the inning, we don't say they got Bird out?

I thought maybe the batter had singled and all kinds of mayhem ensued on the basepaths ...

NYYF Legend

I think I got it now. There was one man left on base, the batter who wasn't retired.

It's probably clearer if you see it ... Or maybe not. I wouldn't want to hear Sterling try to make sense of it!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I think I got it now. There was one man left on base, the batter who wasn't retired.
    He wasn't left on base. He never reached base because the tag on Calhoun was unnecessary. Calhoun was forced out for the third out when Profar threw to Odor. The batter hit into a force out. Semantics I guess but I'm not sure why people are saying the batter wasn't retired. Just because they didn't throw to the base he was running to? To me, if you get a batter to strike out or hit into an out, you've retired him.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    He wasn't left on base. He never reached base because the tag on Calhoun was unnecessary. Calhoun was forced out for the third out when Profar threw to Odor. The batter hit into a force out. Semantics I guess but I'm not sure why people are saying the batter wasn't retired. Just because they didn't throw to the base he was running to? To me, if you get a batter to strike out or hit into an out, you've retired him.
    He’s retired in the sense that he's 0 for that at-bat. Nevertheless, he’s scored as having reached first base safely on the fielder's choice and is ciunted as a man left on base

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He’s retired in the sense that he's 0 for that at-bat. Nevertheless, he’s scored as having reached first base safely on the fielder's choice and is ciunted as a man left on base
    OK, I wasn't aware that LOB is an individual stat in the baserunning sense. (I know it's an individual stat in the hitting sense.)

Daniel Murphy to the Cubs, Matt Adams to the Cards. Murphy's numbers on the year are down quite a bit, but that's mostly due to a terrible June when he was returning from injury.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cubs-...183313661.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/nationals-t...184505621.html

Harper was claimed on waivers by the Dodgers - will the Nats listen to what LA has to say? Edit - never mind, apparently waivers have already expired so Harper's staying put.

Brian McTaggart

Astros to add LHP Framber Valdez to roster. They optioned Cionel Perez post game last night.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...r-11010779.php

Although relatively small at 5-11 and 170 pounds, Valdez complements his major league-caliber first name with a curveball that routinely registers in the 76 to 80 mph range and features good shape and late bite. He attacks the strike zone with a low-90s sinker and is working on a change-up.

Yankees should called up Sheffield too.

Jake Kaplan

Verified account

@jakemkaplan
    12m12 minutes ago
    More
    The Astros will swap lefthander Cionel Perez, who’s been optioned to Triple A, for lefthander Framber Valdez, who will be called up from Triple-A Fresno.

Valdez, who will be active for the Astros’ bullpen game tonight, has a 4.11 ERA in 103 innings across Double A and Triple A this season. The 24-year-old lefthander had been scheduled to start tonight for Fresno.

@jakemkaplan
    Follow Follow @jakemkaplan
    More
    Valdez would have been Rule 5 eligible if not added to the roster this winter, so apparently the Astros had already decided they would protect him. They currently have 39 players on their 40-man roster.

12:54 PM - 21 Aug 2018

Thread Information