+ Reply to Thread
Page 489 of 491 FirstFirst ... 389 439 479 486 487 488 489 490 491 LastLast
Results 12,201 to 12,225 of 12269
    NYYF Legend

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

I'm not seeing how we can say they didn't retire the batter. If Greg Bird grounds into a simple 4-6 force out at 2nd to end the inning, we don't say they got Bird out?

I thought maybe the batter had singled and all kinds of mayhem ensued on the basepaths ...

NYYF Legend

I think I got it now. There was one man left on base, the batter who wasn't retired.

It's probably clearer if you see it ... Or maybe not. I wouldn't want to hear Sterling try to make sense of it!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I think I got it now. There was one man left on base, the batter who wasn't retired.
    He wasn't left on base. He never reached base because the tag on Calhoun was unnecessary. Calhoun was forced out for the third out when Profar threw to Odor. The batter hit into a force out. Semantics I guess but I'm not sure why people are saying the batter wasn't retired. Just because they didn't throw to the base he was running to? To me, if you get a batter to strike out or hit into an out, you've retired him.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    He wasn't left on base. He never reached base because the tag on Calhoun was unnecessary. Calhoun was forced out for the third out when Profar threw to Odor. The batter hit into a force out. Semantics I guess but I'm not sure why people are saying the batter wasn't retired. Just because they didn't throw to the base he was running to? To me, if you get a batter to strike out or hit into an out, you've retired him.
    He’s retired in the sense that he's 0 for that at-bat. Nevertheless, he’s scored as having reached first base safely on the fielder's choice and is ciunted as a man left on base

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He’s retired in the sense that he's 0 for that at-bat. Nevertheless, he’s scored as having reached first base safely on the fielder's choice and is ciunted as a man left on base
    OK, I wasn't aware that LOB is an individual stat in the baserunning sense. (I know it's an individual stat in the hitting sense.)

Daniel Murphy to the Cubs, Matt Adams to the Cards. Murphy's numbers on the year are down quite a bit, but that's mostly due to a terrible June when he was returning from injury.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cubs-...183313661.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/nationals-t...184505621.html

Harper was claimed on waivers by the Dodgers - will the Nats listen to what LA has to say? Edit - never mind, apparently waivers have already expired so Harper's staying put.

Brian McTaggart

Astros to add LHP Framber Valdez to roster. They optioned Cionel Perez post game last night.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...r-11010779.php

Although relatively small at 5-11 and 170 pounds, Valdez complements his major league-caliber first name with a curveball that routinely registers in the 76 to 80 mph range and features good shape and late bite. He attacks the strike zone with a low-90s sinker and is working on a change-up.

Yankees should called up Sheffield too.

Jake Kaplan

Verified account

@jakemkaplan
    12m12 minutes ago
    More
    The Astros will swap lefthander Cionel Perez, who’s been optioned to Triple A, for lefthander Framber Valdez, who will be called up from Triple-A Fresno.

Valdez, who will be active for the Astros’ bullpen game tonight, has a 4.11 ERA in 103 innings across Double A and Triple A this season. The 24-year-old lefthander had been scheduled to start tonight for Fresno.

@jakemkaplan
    Follow Follow @jakemkaplan
    More
    Valdez would have been Rule 5 eligible if not added to the roster this winter, so apparently the Astros had already decided they would protect him. They currently have 39 players on their 40-man roster.

12:54 PM - 21 Aug 2018

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/m...217032085.html

“I was one of those guys that struck out with the bases loaded,” Riddle said. “All I had to do was hit a fly ball and the game is over. Especially things have been going well for me in that situation, but I let everybody down.”

“Limiting damage is very important as a starter and you have to stay true to what your strengths are,” Lopez said. “Every pitch is important and you have to execute and stay focused.”

“We definitely had an opportunity to win the game and had a little bit of jitters at first,” Dean said. “I’m still adjusting to the pitching up here, but I think I’m handling myself pretty well for the most part.”

Susan Slusser

Verified account

@susanslusser
    Following Following @susanslusser
    More
    Fernando Rodney, in demand here with local media, predicts the A’s will go to the World Series.

uh no Rodney. maybe 2022

NYYF Legend

I'm sorry for the confusion. I know the batter was retired in the sense that it's an out in his batting average. I meant that the actual force outs and tag outs on the play did not include the batter.

NYYF Legend

Edwin Diaz got his 50th save. He's on pace to tie Francisco Rodriguez's record of 62. Diaz is 24 and is the first pitcher to have 50 saves in a season at 24 or younger.

St. Louis's Dakota Hudson became the fifth pitcher since 1990 to allow at least 3 runs, throw at least 7 pitches, have all of his pitches be strikes, and get a loss. Baseball-reference does not have pitch counts for every game going farther back.

Tampa Bay's Ryan Yarbrough has 124 2/3 innings, 6 starts, and 26 relief appearances. He could become the first pitcher with at least 150 innings and at least 30 relief appearances since Tim Wakefield in 2002.

J.D. Martinez has a chance to be the first player to win a batting triple crown on a team that won at least 100 games. The most wins by a team with a batting triple crown winner was 98 by Detroit with Ty Cobb in 1908. I'm going to check the records of teams with players who won pitching triple crowns later.

Toronto's Kendrys Morales homered for the seventh consecutive game. The record is eight.
    Last edited by EvanJ; 08-26-18 at 02:43 PM.

NYYF Legend

Because he last pitched 8 days ago, Kimbrel came in down 9-1, which was the final score. It was Kimbrel's 531st game and the first time he came in down at least 8. The biggest deficit Rivera came into was 10.

Washington beat the Mets 15-0 by scoring 8 in the eighth and 6 ending with a grand slam in the ninth. Steven Matz allowed 1 run in 7 innings. I wonder what the record is for smallest percentage of a team's runs allowed that were allowed by the losing pitcher.

Edit: Washington became the first team since 1908 (probably ever) to go at least 3 consecutive games without scoring and score at least 15 in their next game.
    Last edited by EvanJ; 08-26-18 at 09:37 PM.

@gregorMLB
    Follow Follow @gregorMLB
    More
    McKinney has reached base in all eight games he has received an at-bat in since joining #BlueJays. In nine games overall, he's batting .407 (11-for-27).

Yankees traded wrong guy. Should've been Shane stinking Robinson. Cashman gave him up too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @gregorMLB
    Follow Follow @gregorMLB
    More
    McKinney has reached base in all eight games he has received an at-bat in since joining #BlueJays. In nine games overall, he's batting .407 (11-for-27).

Yankees traded wrong guy. Should've been Shane stinking Robinson. Cashman gave him up too easily.
    They needed Happ. Sometimes you don't get something worthwhile just by giving up your most useless junk.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @gregorMLB
    Follow Follow @gregorMLB
    More

Yeah, because that is who the Jays wanted for a top tier pitcher the Yankees desperately needed.

NYYF Legend

Jakob Junis pitched his first career complete game in a 6-2 win hosting Detroit. Junis is 4-0 against Detroit and 3-12 against everybody else, with 1 win each against the Yankees, Mariners, and White Sox. Three of the wins over Detroit, including tonight and a game I went to in Kansas City, had Matthew Boyd start for Detroit.

NYYF Legend

By having a sacrifice bunt and grounding into a double play, Andrew Benintendi made all three outs of the bottom of the seventh inning, during which Boston scored 11. Boston leads 14-6.

Edit: Boston won 14-6. Miami's Drew Rucinski, Adam Conley, Drew Steckenrider, and Javy Guerra became the first group of four teammates since 1908 (probably ever) to allow at least 2 earned runs and at least 2 hits in 2/3 of an inning or less.

NYYF Legend

Milwaukee's Christian Yelich became the second player since 1908 to hit for the cycle, have at least 6 hits, and reach base in every plate appearance. The only other player since 1908 to do that was Ian Kinsler for Texas against Baltimore on April 15, 2009. Milwaukee won 13-12 at Cincinnati in 10 innings.

@BryanHoch
    Included in this good read from @feinsand -- why Brian Cashman said it "just wasn't a choice" to get Justin Verlander last year:

https://www.mlb.com/news/oral-histor...de/c-292468194

Brian Cashman, Yankees general manager: We couldn't financially make it work. … It's easy when you go through that process, and it's like, ownership's not taking on that contract. OK.

That left the Astros, whose rotation had been ravaged by injuries for the past two months. The two GMs had spoken the night before, but neither believed they were close enough to think a trade would take place.

NYYF Legend

Seattle's Edwin Diaz has had 1 save in his team's last 7 games and 4 saves in his team's last 15 games. His pace has decreased to 60, which would be short of Francisco Rodriguez's record of 62 in 2008. Diaz has 51, which is tied for the most in a year since 2009.

No idea where to post this so here will have to work.

Remembering Marvin Miller on Labor Day

As I have noted several times over the past several years, Labor Day is the only major holiday Major League Baseball refuses to recognize. Oh, it knows it’s Labor Day — it happily schedules a bunch of Monday day games to take financial advantage of people who have the day off — but it doesn’t give a rip about the purpose of the holiday. Mostly because it doesn’t give a rip about labor in general. At every turn, Major League Baseball and its owners have sought to run roughshod over its workers, be they players, front office staff, stadium employees, you name it.
    It is impossible to overstate Miller’s impact on Major League Baseball. While some — including Hall of Fame voters — have long given Miller short shrift (or piled on utter disdain), baseball today cannot be understood without understanding Marvin Miller’s contributions. He was a truly transformative figure who, after Jackie Robinson, did more to correct the excesses and injustices delivered onto players by baseball’s ruling class than anyone.
    Whether or not Miller ever makes the Hall of Fame, baseball would not be what it is today, both as a business and a game, without Marvin Miller. Indeed, you can count the people who have made as great or greater a contribution than Miller to the context in which the game is played on one hand. In this regard his legacy is inviolate.

The game will never see his like again. Would that the powers that be in Major League Baseball acknowledge that and, in some way, big or small, make note of it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    No idea where to post this so here will have to work.

Remembering Marvin Miller on Labor Day
    As I’ve said many times, Marvin Miller is unquestionably the most important figure in baseball in the last 70 years. No one else comes close.

Hall of Fame arguments are moot until he gets elected, because it’s not a Hall of Fame without Marvin Miller.

P.J. ZIEGLER

Verified account

@PJFOX8
    Follow Follow @PJFOX8
    More
    Josh Donaldson was 1-2 with a Grand Slam in his rehab start with the #Clippers today. #Indians

NYYF Legend

Boston's Rick Porcello got his third hit of the season. He became the first AL pitcher to get 3 hits in a season since Bud Norris for Houston and Baltimore in 2013 and the first pitcher to get 3 hits for one AL team in a season since Baltimore's Zach Britton in 2011. Britton had 5 hits that year, which is the record for an AL pitcher in one season with interleague play.

Thread Information