+ Reply to Thread
Page 399 of 450 FirstFirst ... 299 349 389 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 409 449 ... LastLast
Results 9,951 to 9,975 of 11232
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Interesting Baseball News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Williams will be fired for sure.

Papelbon will be playing for another team next year, of that there is no question. Even if the Natinals have to pay 80% of his salary to pitch for someone else I'd say the odds of him ever throwing another pitch for them is quite small . What happened in the dugout was toxic and that on top what happened with the bullpen dynamic that help contribute to their downward spiral out of the contention after they acquired him.
    Exactly. Williams would have been fired regardless of this incident, now there's absolutely no way they can keep him after he claimed he didn't know about the incident which either shows him as incompetent or a liar.

Papelbon might not have been back anyway since their cliff dive correlates pretty closely to when he joined the team. Totally not all on his back, but compound his pretty terrible performance along with the fact that he's a total ass and now he's accosted the franchise who they're trying to keep past the next 3 years and he's gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Ted Werner can afford Zimmerman and extend Strasburg, but I agree he'll probably let Zimmerman walk so they can focus efforts on extending Harper.

Scherzer, Strasburg, Gonzalez, Fister, Ross.

They'll let Zimmerman walk and re-up Fister, is what I'm thinking..Fister can probably be had before he declares for FA given he's only pitched 200 IP once. He could be a decent, cheap in-house alternative for a 4th slot.. Ross is going to shoot up that rotation really nicely too.
    I agree that Lerner can afford to keep both Zimmermann and Strasburg but, as you said, they need to sign Harper eventually. It's a matter of personal preference, but Strasburg's constant injuries worry me and he's under contract for another year, so they could deal him for a pretty sizable haul, whereas Zimmermann would just walk for a draft pick. I'd personally invest the money in him rather than Stras.

I also think Giolito being ready and as highly touted as he is along with the emergence of Ross changes things. That's why I'd be surprised if Fister is back.

After thinking about our bullpen woes, wouldn't you like to have a guy with Papelbon's stats on a ~1 year deal? And you could get Papelbon cheaper now, compared to when RAJ was shopping him. Craig Kimbrell has 2-3 more years, depending on the team option in '18.

I know it's hard to imagine certain Red Sox players, like him, playing in pinstripes. I'm still annoyed about when he wanted to close over Mo in the All Star game in YS. But he'd go a long way towards shoring up our bullpen.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    After thinking about our bullpen woes, wouldn't you like to have a guy with Papelbon's stats on a ~1 year deal? And you could get Papelbon cheaper now, compared to when RAJ was shopping him. Craig Kimbrell has 2-3 more years, depending on the team option in '18.

I know it's hard to imagine certain Red Sox players, like him, playing in pinstripes. I'm still annoyed about when he wanted to close over Mo in the All Star game in YS. But he'd go a long way towards shoring up our bullpen.
    Let me think. No.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's not that I can't stand him, it's that he no longer has that overpowering fastball that he commanded so well with late movement. He's basically a 91-92 guy at this point which, IMO would get beat up in the AL. If you were getting the 94-97 guy backed up by that nasty splitter I might be able to overlook the douchebaggery. However, in that hypothetical he'd probably still be with Boston or would cost a fortune on the FA market.

NYYF Legend

hmm clubhouse cancer who will displace one of our two best pitchers in the rolls they have dominated in...yeah umm pass.

Oh and I never want to see him in pinstripes...ever. Not since the ASG @ Yankee stadium where he said he should be closing instead of Mo.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

let papelbon clean the bathroom or something
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Agreed. We probably need EvanJ to investigate, but I'm wondering if there's *ever* been a guy with a 201 OPS+ and only 96 RBI. The team needs work this off season. It doesn't need distraction, and it clearly needs a better manager who you can at least say of him 'set it and forget it'.
    Bonds in '03 is the only example that jumps to mind for a full season. He had a 231 OPS+ and only 90 RBI, with the obvious explanation being the crappy supporting cast and the 148 BBs.

.341 / .529 / .749, with 45 HR and only 90 RBI.

The next season he had a 263 OPS+ and only 101 RBI.

But yeah, when Bonds is the only example that comes to mind, your point is kind of validated that it's not frequent to be that offensively dominant and not be swimming in RBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post

Being 35 is irrelevant as many closers pitch into their 40's. His 10 year body of work as an elite closer weighs greater than the 2 most recent months. As someone else said if they want to trade him they will have no problem finding a team who will take on the full salary.
    You sure about that?

When the Phillies traded him, they had leverage as a trade deadline seller. The Nationals were fighting for their playoff lives, and the Phillies still had to eat $4.5MM of the remaining $4.8MM owed in 2015 to get the Nationals to take him. I don't think he's exactly increased his trade value of late.

NYYF HOF

Agreed. We probably need EvanJ to investigate, but I'm wondering if there's *ever* been a guy with a 201 OPS+ and only 96 RBI. The team needs work this off season. It doesn't need distraction, and it clearly needs a better manager who you can at least say of him 'set it and forget it'.
    There have been four times where a player played at least 140 games with an OPS+ of 201 or better and 96 or fewer RBI:

Mickey Mantle in 1957: 221 OPA+, 94 RBI
    Rogers Hornsby in 1928: 202 OPS+ 94 RBI
    Rogers Hornsby in 1924: 222 OPS+, 94 RBI
    Ty Cobb in 1910: 206 OPS+, 91 RBI

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I agree that Lerner can afford to keep both Zimmermann and Strasburg but, as you said, they need to sign Harper eventually. It's a matter of personal preference, but Strasburg's constant injuries worry me and he's under contract for another year, so they could deal him for a pretty sizable haul, whereas Zimmermann would just walk for a draft pick. I'd personally invest the money in him rather than Stras.

I also think Giolito being ready and as highly touted as he is along with the emergence of Ross changes things. That's why I'd be surprised if Fister is back.
    Zimmerman is a dime a dozen middle of the rotation, very good SP. Strasburg, if he stays healthy, is a generational type of talent. You're not building a boat to make sure it gets to Europe. You need some flash to get to the post season and succeed against the elite once you're there.

I can see Ross replacing Zimmerman's production pretty soon, too.

Edit: I'm not familiar with Giolito, admittedly. Let me finish my making dinner and I'll look into him.

Giolito is the most talented pitching prospect in the minors IMO.

Mid to upper 90s fastball, and dynamite curveball/changeup. Easily three plus pitches and the ability to hit 100mph on the gun, all in the prototypical pitcher's frame. Was a great draft pick even if they knew he needed TJS when he was selected.

NYYF Legend

AJ Preller basically handed the keys over to Rizzo in that deal that netted Ross and Turner.

Once Williams is gone, and presumably Papelbon is traded for a box of resin bags, this team's going to straighten out well.

NYYF Legend

Kershaw with a complete game, one hit shutout to clinch a playoff berth.

I would trade my left nut for a pitcher of Kershaw's caliber. I'd deal prime ARod and not think twice about it, either.

Limiting it to batting title qualifiers from 1920 on:

Ted Williams, 1957 - 233 OPS+, 87 RBI
    Barry Bonds, 2003 - 231, 90
    Rogers Hornsby, 1924 - 222, 94
    Mickey Mantle, 1957 - 221, 94 (NB - thanks to Mr. Williams, above, that 221 OPS+ didn't even lead the league.)
    Rogers Hornsby, 1928 - 202, 94
    Ted Williams, 1954 - 201, 89
    Bryce Harper, 2015 - 200, 96

Not surprisingly, it's mostly guys with great power and a whole lot of walks.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I would trade my left nut for a pitcher of Kershaw's caliber. I'd deal prime ARod and not think twice about it, either.
    PRIME A-Rod? 10 WAR A-Rod? I love Kersh, but I couldn't pull the trigger on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    PRIME A-Rod? 10 WAR A-Rod? I love Kersh, but I couldn't pull the trigger on that.
    Yeah, no way. Prime A-Rod playing 162 games with truly elite hitting, slugging, baserunning and defense at a premium position? I'd love to have Kershaw wearing my team's uniform, but I couldn't do that either.

Prime ARod was playing elite defense (he was probably the best defender at the position give or take) at SS while putting up .300/45/120. I don't think we're seeing that sort of player at that position again.

For any fellow central CTers, New Britain and the Atlantic League have approved a franchise playing there starting next season

Screw the Yard Goats
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Yeah, no way. Prime A-Rod playing 162 games with truly elite hitting, slugging, baserunning and defense at a premium position? I'd love to have Kershaw wearing my team's uniform, but I couldn't do that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Prime ARod was playing elite defense (he was probably the best defender at the position give or take) at SS while putting up .300/45/120. I don't think we're seeing that sort of player at that position again.
    The reason you make that deal and not think twice about it is the scarcity of elite, stud LHSP. Opportunity cost plays in here. Scarcity.

You can make up for the loss of ARod by increasing production at a few other positions, because it's easier to do that than it is to send arguably the game's best pitcher out there every 5th day.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    For any fellow central CTers, New Britain and the Atlantic League have approved a franchise playing there starting next season

Screw the Yard Goats
    Wasn't there a AA team there after the Yankees moved to Trenton?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Trading A-Rod (when he was the best player in baseball) for Kershaw is pretty insane.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Trading A-Rod (when he was the best player in baseball) for Kershaw is pretty insane.
    I'd also deal Lou Gehrig for Walter Johnson in a heartbeat. Translated: stud pitching usually renders gawdy numbers irrelevant. Translated further: it is the exception within the great hitters where you are great against all pitching. The venn diagram usually has a larger swath of 'bad ball hitting'.

The reason you make that deal and not think twice about it is the scarcity of elite, stud LHSP. Opportunity cost plays in here. Scarcity.

You can make up for the loss of ARod by increasing production at a few other positions, because it's easier to do that than it is to send arguably the game's best pitcher out there every 5th day.
    I'd say prime A-Rod is just as, if not more, scarce. Look through history and find 3 other SS that hit like A-Rod with great defense. Couple that with the fragility of pitching in general (though Kershaw has been durable), and I can't justify the trade.

Do you think Harper would be traded for Kershaw? I'd make that trade in a snap if I was LAD.

That said, I think it's hard to argue Kershaw is not the game's best pitcher.

NYYF Legend

I'd say prime A-Rod is just as, if not more, scarce. Look through history and find 3 other SS that hit like A-Rod with great defense. Couple that with the fragility of pitching in general (though Kershaw has been durable), and I can't justify the trade.

Do you think Harper would be traded for Kershaw? I'd make that trade in a snap if I was LAD.

That said, I think it's hard to argue Kershaw is not the game's best pitcher.
    No I don't, but that's because both teams are coming from positions of strength when it comes to SP.

As for ARod's being more scarce than a Kershaw?

Take a look at WaaWL%. It takes a league average team throughout a player's career, injects that player into it, and you wind up with a career winning percentage. Kershaw's is .641. ARod's is .526.

That of course factors in what I know to be true: aces are more important than great hitters.

Thread Information