+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Greatest Yankee momemt you witnessed?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    I remember that. Even the Dodgers third base coach made the comment that that was the best fielding display by a third baseman he had ever seen.
    When Nettles robbed yet another Dodger, the camera panned to Tommy Lasorda in the Dodger dugout shaking his head and saying 'That motherfu**er".
    which was out of respect for Nettles's play.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wexy
    When Nettles robbed yet another Dodger, the camera panned to Tommy Lasorda in the Dodger dugout shaking his head and saying 'That motherfu**er".
    which was out of respect for Nettles's play.
    No human being had any business making those plays.

Had he not made those plays the Dodgers would have no doubt won that game (to go up 3-0) and the World Series.
    Just win!

Released Outright

2001 LCS Game 7. It doesn't get any better then that, sitting in a dorm full of Red Sox fans and watching that come back off Pedro. Classic

Sadly, I've only seen 3 games in person in all my life. But I was there when Derek Jeter hit his first grand slam. Doesn't really compare to all the other stuff people are talking about here, but it's all I've got, lol. I've seen lots of great stuff on tv, but that's the best thing I ever saw live.
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=3][SIZE=1]RIP Cory Lidle. Forever a Yankee. [/SIZE]

I [B]still[/B] believe.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Chris Chambliss' HR to win the 1976 ALCS. That was awesome.

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Quote Originally Posted by 26xwc
    Chris Chambliss' HR to win the 1976 ALCS. That was awesome.
    Yes it was. I can still se him running around the bases tackling fans left and right until he somehow managed to get to home plate. IIFC, the pitcher who gave up the homer was Mark Litell. He was a pretty good reliever who was never the same after that.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

A very cool regular season game I went to....back in 2000 (I wanna say August??) against Oakland.

We were down 1 going into the 9th....Bernie leadoff with a HR into the upper deck to tie the game. Crowd of course went nuts, and right in the middle of a Bernie curtain call....Isringhausen threw his 1st pitch of the next AB to Justice, and Justice launched one into the bleachers.

2 HR's on 2 pitches...Yanks win

If I list them all, I'd make some of you envious--used to have a partial season ticket plan but economic hard times forced me to drop it, which I was extremely unhappy about, and still am.

But if I had to name only one (and it's hard, I was privileged enough to be there for so many great moments from 1998-2001, and yes, I was there for Game 7 of the ALCS in 2003, which was a definite highlight), I'd say it was David Cone's perfect game, which took place on Yogi Berra Day at the Stadium. Considering it was Yogi Berra Day, I was surprised at the less than sell-out crowd, only about 41,000 or so, I recall. Granted, the game was against the Montreal Expos, but who doesn't like Yogi? Plus, Don Larsen was there, so the only pitcher-catcher team that pitched a perfect game in the World Series was there, plus Joe Torre, who saw the Larsen perfect game, was in the house, and on top of that, it was Joe Torre's birthday that day, July 18th. So it seemed that something special was bound to happen on such a happy day.

The reason why I choose this memory is that, perfect games are so rare, impossible to predict in advance, and nail-bitingly suspenseful, exciting and thrilling to watch unfold. Beginning in the 7th inning, we watched every play in the field and every pop fly, hoping the perfecto would stay intact. And the ninth inning was as electric and thrilling as anything I've experienced, because I realized I was about to see something so rare and hard to do, as were the other fans, which contributed to the sense of excitement--it was collective anticipation and excitement. I may never see another one of these, in-person, in my lifetime.

Games 4 and 5 of the 2001 World Series.

Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS is a distant 3rd.

1977 world series, reggie's 3rd homer. i was 7 years old, and if i died at that moment, i would have been OK with it.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Game 3 of the 1978 World Series (10/13/78). Insane plays by the Yankees 3rd baseman...

Turned the series around and put the Yankees on the path to a second straight World Championship that capped my favorite season ever.
    I was there too!
    Sitting in the RF bleachers!!
    Sitting, thinking, sinking, drinking.......

NYYF Triple Crown

Top two that I attended were Rags' no hitter vs. the Sox in 1983 (on my birthday) which was the game made me a Yanks fan and Clemens 300/4000 game vs St Louis (which also had a nice Tino moment).

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by DJSANGEL
    Awww, and no thanks for getting you to that fav Yankee moment and your butt in those seats??? I'm surprised....
    Well, I didn't want to say anything here, but since you mentioned it first...

Of COURSE I will always be FOREVER grateful for you getting me to those games! that should go without saying, but I will say it here again--THANK YOU!
    To paraphrase Joe DiMaggio..."Every day, I thank the good lord for making me a Yankee fan"

THERE IS MORE TO BASEBALL THAN JUST NUMBERS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spiritof27
    Sadly, I've only seen 3 games in person in all my life. But I was there when Derek Jeter hit his first grand slam. Doesn't really compare to all the other stuff people are talking about here, but it's all I've got, lol. I've seen lots of great stuff on tv, but that's the best thing I ever saw live.
    Hey... That's great too! And the memory is YOURS!
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

NYYF Legend

August 6, 1979: In a night game following the funeral of Thurman Munson, Bobby Murcer drives in all five runs as the Yankees top Baltimore 5–4. Murcer has a 3-run home run and a 9th inning 2-run single. October 4, 1995: Jim Leyritz’s 2-run HR in the bottom of the 15th inning gives NY a 7-5 win over Seattle for their 2nd consecutive win.... i have a few more i need to think about...

Father has been a Yankee season holder since the 60's, and me personally since '91.

I didn't find my wife until '97, and lived in the city from '93-'00. So, I'd average 30-50 games per year, spiking in the summer of '93 when I attended 78 games (69 homes games, 9 away games in Boston and Baltimore).

So..... I've seen Abbott's and Gooden's no-no's, and Wells' perfecto. Missed Cone's perfect game, but was at Moose's near-perfecto in Fenway a few years back.

I've been to every single postseason game since '95, so you could go down the list and there are some amazing moments. But, for me, the two biggest moments happened the same night.

Girardi's triple in Game 6. My seats are in section 14, and looking up at the mezzanine and upper deck after the triple they were actually swaying. Just the loudest I've ever heard an outdoor stadium sound (the loudest indoor event was during the national anthem of Game 7 of the '94 Stanley Cup finals). The second moment was when Mo struck out the last batter of the 8th. The excitement in the crowd was amazing.

The strangest moment during this run was the last out of the '99 series. It seemed like the Yanks simply won a big game, not the WS.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    A very cool regular season game I went to....back in 2000 (I wanna say August??) against Oakland.

We were down 1 going into the 9th....Bernie leadoff with a HR into the upper deck to tie the game. Crowd of course went nuts, and right in the middle of a Bernie curtain call....Isringhausen threw his 1st pitch of the next AB to Justice, and Justice launched one into the bleachers.

2 HR's on 2 pitches...Yanks win

Yep. I remember that one very well, since it was either the final night or one of the big moments in the first Survivor- and my wife doesn't quite grasp the "2-minute" rule with baseball. I left the room for a drink, came back to see Survivor playing, and by the time I got the remote back the Yanks had already won.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by KENMonteSS86
    Well, I didn't want to say anything here, but since you mentioned it first...

Of COURSE I will always be FOREVER grateful for you getting me to those games! that should go without saying, but I will say it here again--THANK YOU!

As many have said before time and time again, You should never ASSUME that something should go without saying...and if it goes without saying why have to say it again? Maybe because it was never said in the first place......of course you know all too well the old addage......

Nevertheless, now that it actually has been said(or written in this case)....your welcome

NYYF Legend

Bucky F...cking Dent(telecast)

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Reggie`s 3 dingers is up there too.

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Keep em coming. This is great.

Stat Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    Jim Abbot's no-hitter against the Indians in late 1993. To me, everything else pales in comparison to this game.
    my best, and first, yankee experience. 6 years old at the time. sold me on the yankees forever.
    Check out my blog where I talk about the Yankees, Sports in general, Movies, and Life (ha) http://onyourmarcgetsetgo.blogspot.com/

June 24, 1973.... the Yankees won both games of a doubleheader (back in the good old days when teams used to play Sunday doubleheaders) against Billy Martin's Detroit Tigers at the old stadium in front of a Ballday crowd of 65,000 fans. The Yanks came back in the late innings to win the first game 3-2 on a Thurman Munson single and Graig Nettles hit a home run off Mickey Lolich in the bottom of the ninth to win the second game 2-1. The Yankees finished that day in first place in the AL East and it was my first game at Yankee Stadium... I'll never forget it.

Tino. BK Kim. Halloween. Mr. November. Totally worth the $300 to sit in the bleachers. Hearing Schilling serenaded with "Schilling's Gay" (and he threw a ball into the stands to mollify the guy) and having Kim serenaded with "Ichiro" chants. Priceless.

NYYF Legend

My self and my family went to Yogi Berra day which we almost passed on because it was raining.Good thing we didn't because that was Cone's Pefect game.

Thread Information