+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New Music

New Music

Anyone picked up any good new music lately?

Went on a bit of a tear lately on allofmp3.com and snagged the following:

- Arctic Monkeys- these guys are gonna be hot sh1t this summer, I can already tell after a few listens through the album. they're just regular dudes singing about regular things rather than the whiny woe-is-our-world stuff you're hearing from a lot of their counterparts these days
    - DJ Muggs vs GZA "Grandmaster"- the Cypress Hill DJ paired with GZA from the Wu, interesting stuff because the production is completely unique and totally different from what you'd expect if you've heard Liquid Swords.
    - Wu-Tang Meets Indie Culture- another random matchup that works. a bunch of raps by underground-type guys, paired with Wu (Dreddie Kruger) beats. This one's gonna get heavy play in the ol' Ipod.
    - MF Doom and Danger Mouse "Danger Doom"- this album is inspired by Adult Swim from the Cartoon Network. I don't watch that very often so I'm missing out on some of the references but it's catchy as hell, and I wanted to see what Danger was getting into after the Grey Album
    - Thievery Corp "Cosmic Game"- Saw these guys spin at their club in DC last weekend, and finally got around to getting one of their albums. It's pretty funky, down-tempo kind of stuff. Good background music for when you have people over for a couple of cocktails, grown-up style (not that I do that too often, but hey)

I'm looking fwd to the Curious George sdtk by Jack Johnson, as well as Idlewild by Outkast. Anything else on the horizon people are anticipating?

NYYF Cy Young

Re: New Music

I'm loving the Arctic Monkeys as well. I got a CD of their's from their record company a month or so ago and I've been playing it a lot. I'm looking foward to the actual album. The CD I got has mostly demos.
    Never Trust A Man With No Shirt On

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I got the new Strokes cd the other day. I really hated their first one because the guy sounded like he was singing into a megaphone, but this one is really good. I recommend it.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by TannerBoyle
    - Arctic Monkeys- these guys are gonna be hot sh1t this summer, I can already tell after a few listens through the album. they're just regular dudes singing about regular things rather than the whiny woe-is-our-world stuff you're hearing from a lot of their counterparts these days
    Love the Arctic Monkeys. "Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts" is a cool tune.

I too am looking forward to the new Jack Johnson...he covered "We're Going To Be Friends", by the White Stripes, which is one of my favorite tunes.
    "God, I hope I wear this jersey forever." - Derek Jeter

Anyone picked up any good new music lately?

Went on a bit of a tear lately on allofmp3.com and snagged the following:

- DJ Muggs vs GZA "Grandmaster"- the Cypress Hill DJ paired with GZA from the Wu, interesting stuff because the production is completely unique and totally different from what you'd expect if you've heard Liquid Swords.
    - Wu-Tang Meets Indie Culture- another random matchup that works. a bunch of raps by underground-type guys, paired with Wu (Dreddie Kruger) beats. This one's gonna get heavy play in the ol' Ipod.

I'm looking fwd to the Curious George sdtk by Jack Johnson, as well as Idlewild by Outkast. Anything else on the horizon people are anticipating?
    I've enjoyed DJ Muggs vs. GZA so far (my fav. tracks are Exploitation of Mistakes, All in Together Now, and Unstoppable Threats). I have yet to get the Wu meets Indie Culture album, heard it's good though.

I'm not sure of what's on the horizon but I'm interested in "Killa Season" (out in Feb) now that I've heard Cam'ron's two jabs at Jay-Z. You either like Cam'ron or you don't I guess, I find him to be entertaining. Also would like to check out the new Thievery Corporation stuff. Didn't know there was a new Strokes CD out, gotta check that too.

This is the iTunes library I have so far with my girlfriend...So far about 6200 songs but I have yet to input about 3000+ more songs. Nothing really new here but maybe you see some things like "oh sh*t I don't have that".
    (It's an Excel spreadsheet file)
    www.chriscolina.com/library.xls

Tanner, what's the deal with allofmp3? says it's free? what's the catch?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    I got the new Strokes cd the other day. I really hated their first one because the guy sounded like he was singing into a megaphone, but this one is really good. I recommend it.
    I'll give you a pass on that because I know most of the music you like is good.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    I'll give you a pass on that because I know most of the music you like is good.
    Hey, I didn't go down the Coldplay route...I'm not a total sellout. Sometimes Slipknot doesn't go over well at the office ya know?

Hey, I didn't go down the Coldplay route...I'm not a total sellout. Sometimes Slipknot doesn't go over well at the office ya know?
    yeah I'm thinking our new national anthem won't work in a professional environment.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

yeah I'm thinking our new national anthem won't work in a professional environment.
    My co-worker loved Vermillion pt 2 when she heard it, then Before I Forget came on and that was the end of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42
    Tanner, what's the deal with allofmp3? says it's free? what's the catch?

It's a Russian site, and I don't fully know the deal (or if I should even have brought it up). But songs are dirt cheap, and priced according to length (0.05 to 0.15 roughly). I think the deal is you are actually paying for the bandwidth, not the song itself. I like it because you can encode the songs into whatever quality and file format you like.

Pick me. Choose me. Love me. SuperMario66's Avatar
    Just between I wish I could and I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBotz
    I'm loving the Arctic Monkeys as well. I got a CD of their's from their record company a month or so ago and I've been playing it a lot. I'm looking foward to the actual album. The CD I got has mostly demos.
    What is their music like?

Also, you guys should totally check out The Hero Factor. They are absolutely incredible.
    --Misti

Has anybody noticed we have a color option called "lemon chiffon?"

It's a Russian site, and I don't fully know the deal (or if I should even have brought it up). But songs are dirt cheap, and priced according to length (0.05 to 0.15 roughly). I think the deal is you are actually paying for the bandwidth, not the song itself. I like it because you can encode the songs into whatever quality and file format you like.
    Ahhh ok thanks.

Yeah I hear you, everyone's a bit paranoid of the RIAA and its' lawyers . However, they can kiss my ass, because I had 300 CD's stolen out of my car at school a few years ago...I had left em in the trunk by accident, I hope whoever did that sh*t dies a slow painful death. So yeah, 300 CD's at a rather conservative estimate of 12.99 to 14.99 each is $3900-4500 that I had spent over my lifetime ... so please forgive me if sometimes I don't feel like paying .99 cents to get a song from iTunes, usually a song that I had already paid for the f*cking right to listen to.

My co-worker loved Vermillion pt 2 when she heard it, then Before I Forget came on and that was the end of that.
    You know I often wonder what most people thought when they first heard "Wait and Bleed" and went out and bought the album. For a while most of the radio stations in NY only played the radio-version of it which is quite different then the album version. Can you just imagine the look of horror when they heard (SIC)?

I'm not overly fond of the 3rd album. If I wanted to hear Stone Sour type Corey I would have put on the Stone Sour album. Which isn't bad, but I expected Slipknot and those sounds are few and far between. It sucks that they took the turn they did. Corey had an awesome voice for that sound.

NYYF Legend

The Fray is an EXCELLENT new band - They have one song on the radio right now called "over my head", but I recommend the song "How to save a life" - the song is about how the singer tried to save the life of a friend of his who was addicted to crack - beautiful song.

NYYF Legend

Now that commercial radio is dead in New York and its virtually impossible to hear anything new, where does an old guy like me find a radio station that isn't mired in the mid twentieth century?
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by wexy
    Now that commercial radio is dead in New York and its virtually impossible to hear anything new, where does an old guy like me find a radio station that isn't mired in the mid twentieth century?
    I also find it very hard. I don't like much commercial radio but every now and then you find a diamond in the rough and now it's, like Wexy said, dead. And I'm tired of WBAB's same 25 songs. And The Bone doesn't come in for sh*t unless you live in the boonies on LI.

Quote Originally Posted by wexy
    Right here.

I pay for enough entertainment and I have a $300 MP3 player in my car. I know it's an awesome source, but I'm just not ready.

I pay for enough entertainment and I have a $300 MP3 player in my car. I know it's an awesome source, but I'm just not ready.
    Worth every penny. If you want to try it at work I can let you use my online account for a day. PM me.

\m/ rise against. \m/

i listen to rock, anything from slayer to dashboard. these were my top ten albums for 2005.

1. secret lives of freemasons - this was built to make you dance
    outstanding post-hardcore band, not too much screaming, but this album still blows my mind. http://www.myspace.com/secretlivesofthefreemasons
    2. jacks mannequin - everything in transit
    something corporate's singer andrew mcmahon's side project. pop music at its finest. http://www.myspace.com/jacksmannequin
    3. panic! at the disco - a fever you cant sweat out
    fall out boy's little brother. catchier than the flu. http://www.myspace.com/panicatthedisco
    4. the receiving end of sirens - between the heart and the synapse
    experimental rock. up and coming band sure to make a splash soon. http://www.myspace.com/thereceivingendofsirens
    5. darkest hour - undoing ruin
    best metal album of 2005. amazing guitar players. http://www.myspace.com/darkesthour
    6. cartel - chroma
    pop-punk of the starting line/fall out boy sound. one of the best singers i've heard. http://www.myspace.com/cartel
    7. everytime i die - gutter phenomenon
    hardcore with a small bit of southern sound. http://www.myspace.com/everytimeidie
    8. the academy is . . . - almost here
    another pop rock band. they will be on TRL very soon. http://www.myspace.com/theacademyis
    9. funeral for a friend - hours
    hard rock band from england. http://www.myspace.com/funeralforafriend
    10. thrice - vheissu
    i'd hope some people would know who these guys are. http://www.myspace.com/thrice

in 2006, check out:

thursday - to be titled
    versus the mirror - to be titled
    forgive durden - wonderland
    last.fm | myspace
    "i like my coffee black. just like my metal."

We should be getting a new Godsmack album in 06

"It will perk people's eyebrows up again," he said. "The first couple of records were kind of the same record, in a sense. They were sort of bordering that metal sound and then the third record had more rock mixed into it. [The Other Side] really softened up the sound. This one is more rock and roll, and some songs are very epic, in a Tool[-ish] sense.

Worth every penny. If you want to try it at work I can let you use my online account for a day. PM me.
    I can't listen to music at my desk anymore. I talk to customers now.

thanks though.

NYYF Legend

I recently aquired a Randy Newman CD from 1989.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithers
    5. darkest hour - undoing ruin
    best metal album of 2005. amazing guitar players. [url]
    My pick was "Catch 33" by Meshuggah. Followed by Children Of Bodom's "Are You Dead Yet?"

Thread Information