+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New Music

\m/ rise against. \m/

Re: New Music

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    My pick was "Catch 33" by Meshuggah. Followed by Children Of Bodom's "Are You Dead Yet?"
    \m/ children of bodom.

between the buried and me's "alaska" is another outstanding one.
    last.fm | myspace
    "i like my coffee black. just like my metal."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wexy
    Now that commercial radio is dead in New York and its virtually impossible to hear anything new, where does an old guy like me find a radio station that isn't mired in the mid twentieth century?
    Satellite radio has been a Godsend for me Wexy. I've discovered so many great new bands since I subscribed to Sirius last year. I'm sure XM subscribers would say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TannerBoyle
    - Arctic Monkeys- these guys are gonna be hot sh1t this summer, I can already tell after a few listens through the album. they're just regular dudes singing about regular things rather than the whiny woe-is-our-world stuff you're hearing from a lot of their counterparts these days
    They are absolutely huge in England right now. I just started listening to them and I'm not sure if I like them yet. I think they will be more of an acquired tase. I'm debating whether or not to go see them at the 9:30 club in March.

- Thievery Corp "Cosmic Game"- Saw these guys spin at their club in DC last weekend, and finally got around to getting one of their albums. It's pretty funky, down-tempo kind of stuff. Good background music for when you have people over for a couple of cocktails, grown-up style (not that I do that too often, but hey)
    It's not their best album but still pretty good. Theivery Corp is excellent chill out/lounge music. Where in DC did you see them? They don't play live very often. Or at least in the past they haven't.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithers
    \m/ children of bodom.

between the buried and me's "alaska" is another outstanding one.
    I just got into Bodom about two years ago. Definately see why they get the press they do in Revolver. One of the best metal bands out there right now.

I expected more out of Shadow's Fall's album. It was alright, nothing bad, just nothing great.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We’re all going to die. Come watch TV.”

NYYF HOF

Personally, I have been listening to The Mars Volta's new cd called Frances the Mute. I've had it for a few months, but been playing it a lot lately. It rocks hard.

I really got into TMV when Scabdates came out a couple years ago. They are a little out there, but definitely my style.
    "A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever." - Don Mattingly's Plaque in Monument Park

Pick me. Choose me. Love me. SuperMario66's Avatar
    Just between I wish I could and I don't know

i listen to rock, anything from slayer to dashboard. these were my top ten albums for 2005.

1. secret lives of freemasons - this was built to make you dance
    outstanding post-hardcore band, not too much screaming, but this album still blows my mind. http://www.myspace.com/secretlivesofthefreemasons
    2. jacks mannequin - everything in transit
    something corporate's singer andrew mcmahon's side project. pop music at its finest. http://www.myspace.com/jacksmannequin
    3. panic! at the disco - a fever you cant sweat out
    fall out boy's little brother. catchier than the flu. http://www.myspace.com/panicatthedisco
    4. the receiving end of sirens - between the heart and the synapse
    experimental rock. up and coming band sure to make a splash soon. http://www.myspace.com/thereceivingendofsirens
    5. darkest hour - undoing ruin
    best metal album of 2005. amazing guitar players. http://www.myspace.com/darkesthour
    6. cartel - chroma
    pop-punk of the starting line/fall out boy sound. one of the best singers i've heard. http://www.myspace.com/cartel
    7. everytime i die - gutter phenomenon
    hardcore with a small bit of southern sound. http://www.myspace.com/everytimeidie
    8. the academy is . . . - almost here
    another pop rock band. they will be on TRL very soon. http://www.myspace.com/theacademyis
    9. funeral for a friend - hours
    hard rock band from england. http://www.myspace.com/funeralforafriend
    10. thrice - vheissu
    i'd hope some people would know who these guys are. http://www.myspace.com/thrice

in 2006, check out:

thursday - to be titled
    versus the mirror - to be titled
    forgive durden - wonderland
    AHHHHH! The secretmasons! Sorry, I have become farmiliar with them recently due to reasons I would rather not get into. Their music is a little harder than I tend to like, but they aren't bad. They are actually playing in Tulsa next Friday.

BTW - I actually like a lot of those other bands. I might have more to say if seeing the secretmasons (as Cory and I confusedly call them) didn't freak me out.
    --Misti

Has anybody noticed we have a color option called "lemon chiffon?"

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boo_427
    Personally, I have been listening to The Mars Volta's new cd called Frances the Mute. I've had it for a few months, but been playing it a lot lately. It rocks hard.

I really got into TMV when Scabdates came out a couple years ago. They are a little out there, but definitely my style.
    I liked them better when they were "At the Drive In". I saw TMV open for System of a Down and it was like Rush meets Yoko Ono. Prog rock with screechy yelping voice. Absolutely horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    Satellite radio has been a Godsend for me Wexy. I've discovered so many great new bands since I subscribed to Sirius last year. I'm sure XM subscribers would say the same thing.

They are absolutely huge in England right now. I just started listening to them and I'm not sure if I like them yet. I think they will be more of an acquired tase. I'm debating whether or not to go see them at the 9:30 club in March.

It's not their best album but still pretty good. Theivery Corp is excellent chill out/lounge music. Where in DC did you see them? They don't play live very often. Or at least in the past they haven't.
    I'm planning to go see Arctic Monkeys at the 9:30 Club- haven't been there in a while.

Thievery actually owns 18th Street Lounge, which is where they played. It was pretty cool but we didn't know they were playing until we got there and there was a huge line. A little too crowded for my tastes. I'd just as soon go when the regular house DJ's are playing similar style stuff, without all the hipster kids who get all dressed up to go out 'clubbing.'

What stations on XM do you listen to for new rock? I just got it a few months ago and have mostly listened to sports stations and the decades. (I have a short commute- spring and summer finds me in the car much more often and I'll need a lot more music, plus the Yankees.)

\m/ rise against. \m/

i saw them at roseland ballroom this past cinco de mayo. they played for 2 and half hours, and stopped playing for maybe a total of 5 minutes. it was unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario66
    AHHHHH! The secretmasons! Sorry, I have become farmiliar with them recently due to reasons I would rather not get into. Their music is a little harder than I tend to like, but they aren't bad. They are actually playing in Tulsa next Friday.

BTW - I actually like a lot of those other bands. I might have more to say if seeing the secretmasons (as Cory and I confusedly call them) didn't freak me out.
    i'm dying to see them, but they've cancelled the last two times they were scheduled to come to jersey. apparently they'll be here in april though.
    last.fm | myspace

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    I liked them better when they were "At the Drive In". I saw TMV open for System of a Down and it was like Rush meets Yoko Ono. Prog rock with screechy yelping voice. Absolutely horrible.
    Didn't say you had to like it. Their live shows are really intense, either you like them or you don't.

And what is the deal your negativity? The bored is littered with negative posts from you, I would expect that from or others but not you G.
    "A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever." - Don Mattingly's Plaque in Monument Park

NYYF HOF

i saw them at roseland ballroom this past cinco de mayo. they played for 2 and half hours, and stopped playing for maybe a total of 5 minutes. it was unreal.
    That is what I meant by intense. Those guys work really freakin' hard on stage. Admittedly I am more of southern rock/jam genre, but TMV throws it down.

NYYF Legend

I'm planning to go see Arctic Monkeys at the 9:30 Club- haven't been there in a while.

Thievery actually owns 18th Street Lounge, which is where they played. It was pretty cool but we didn't know they were playing until we got there and there was a huge line. A little too crowded for my tastes. I'd just as soon go when the regular house DJ's are playing similar style stuff, without all the hipster kids who get all dressed up to go out 'clubbing.'

What stations on XM do you listen to for new rock? I just got it a few months ago and have mostly listened to sports stations and the decades. (I have a short commute- spring and summer finds me in the car much more often and I'll need a lot more music, plus the Yankees.)
    I actually have Sirius so I'm not familiar with many of XM's rock stations, but I'm pretty sure they have a channel called Ethyl that features new Indy/Alternative music. Sirius has a similar channel called Left of Center.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Didn't say you had to like it. Their live shows are really intense, either you like them or you don't.

And what is the deal your negativity? The bored is littered with negative posts from you, I would expect that from or others but not you G.
    Really? I don't even notice. What else was I negative about, Mr "That was the worst hour of 24 ever"?

Not into the British feel of the arctic monkeys.
    --Misti

\m/ rise against. \m/

i can see why people wouldn't like the mars volta. in fact, i can see why people don't like a lot of the music i do. its very . . . out there. two examples:

HORSE the band http://www.myspace.com/horsetheband
    the fall of troy http://www.myspace.com/thefalloftroy

bands like these you either love or hate. oddly enough they're going on tour together with poison the well.
    last.fm | myspace

poison the well.
    sick band...

I'm gonna make a suggestion to you. Two bands. They're pretty much the best of Long Island underground metal. I see them whenever I can.

Year Of Confession

The Dahmer Project

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. We’re all going to die. Come watch TV.”

"Z" by My Morning Jacket. You can thank me later

Here's a streaming sample of their song "Off the Record." Windows Media Format (click)
    And another one: "Wordless Chorus"

Okay guys - please check this band out. They are so so so good.

http://www.myspace.com/theherofactor
    --Misti

Sweet. I can't wait to get home and check out all these bands.

NYYF HOF

Really? I don't even notice. What else was I negative about, Mr "That was the worst hour of 24 ever"?
    Good point!

But can you argue that point about 24? We can in the 24 thread anyway.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc39
    "Z" by My Morning Jacket. You can thank me later

Here's a streaming sample of their song "Off the Record." Windows Media Format (click)
    And another one: "Wordless Chorus"
    I will second My Morning Jacket. They put on an excellent live performance. Great driving music.

Sweet. I can't wait to get home and check out all these bands.
    I think the answer to this question:
    Now that commercial radio is dead in New York and its virtually impossible to hear anything new, where does an old guy like me find a radio station that isn't mired in the mid twentieth century?
    is this thread now. This may turn into the coolest thread, ever.

NYYF Legend

Since I have DirecTV, what is the station that I should be listening to for new music
    Thanks
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

\m/ rise against. \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    I think the answer to this question:
    is this thread now. This may turn into the coolest thread, ever.
    this is true. i'm surprised there isn't a "What song are you listening to?" thread in the post count party.
    last.fm | myspace

Since I have DirecTV, what is the station that I should be listening to for new music
    Thanks
    I don't know channel numbers, but Ethel is alternative rock, the Loft is good acoustic rock, Hear Music is coffeehouse stuff (it's what they play in Starbucks), and XM Cafe is soft alternative.

NYYF Legend

I don't know channel numbers, but Ethel is alternative rock, the Loft is good acoustic rock, Hear Music is coffeehouse stuff (it's what they play in Starbucks), and XM Cafe is soft alternative.
    Thanks
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Thread Information