+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: New Music

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: New Music

Thoughts on the new, final Tribe Called Quest album? Yes it's really a QTip & Friends project, but it still manages to have a Tribe feel most of the time. Obviously the standout is We the People which was released at the exact right time, down to the day for it to have the most cultural impact. Other hits are Dis Generation, Melatonin and Ego.

After listening to the new Metallica more my 3 favorite songs are ManUNkind, Atlas Rise and Spit out the Bone.

All great picks.

Man UnKind is still my favorite track. Next is Spit Out The Bone. Also really dig Confusion. Those are my top three. Title track is badass also.

I saw they're headlining some festival in Columbus OH next year but any word on a proper tour?

Can someone please explain why I'm seemingly the only person in the world who thinks Beyonce is one of the most overrated artists of the century?

I freely admit her music isn't for me, but I can understand how people like her music. What I don't understand is why she's considered a goddess or the best ever at making that type of music. What sets her apart from any of the two dozen other solo black female R&B/Pop artists?

Beck isn't my cup of tea either, but I saw this comparison and it made me laugh.

-Number of individuals credited on the album (excluding the artist):
    Beyonce: 74
    Morning Phase: 15

-Number of Producers:
    Beyonce: 16
    Morning Phase: 1

-Number of instruments (not vocals) performed by the artist on the album:
    Beyonce: 0
    Morning Phase: 15
    So again, what makes Beyonce so special?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I saw they're headlining some festival in Columbus OH next year but any word on a proper tour?
    They always do a tour. I'm not paying the ridiculous money they charge anymore so I pass on them now. But I'm fairly certain if one isn't scheduled yet there will be soon.

I'm with you on Beyoncé. She's crap to me but that's not my music. I'm not a good judge of her talent. I hate pop music.

New NIN today! Only 5 songs sadly.
    IN THESE TIMES OF NEARLY UNLIMITED ACCESS TO ALL THE MUSIC IN THE WORLD, WE’VE COME TO APPRECIATE THE VALUE AND BEAUTY OF THE PHYSICAL OBJECT. OUR STORE’S FOCUS IS ON PRESENTING THESE ITEMS TO YOU. VINYL HAS RETURNED TO BEING A PRIORITY FOR US - NOT JUST FOR THE WARMTH OF THE SOUND, BUT THE INTERACTION IT DEMANDS FROM THE LISTENER. THE CANVAS OF ARTWORK, THE WEIGHT OF THE RECORD, THE SMELL OF THE VINYL, THE DROPPING OF THE NEEDLE, THE DIFFICULTY OF SKIPPING TRACKS, THE CHANGING OF SIDES, THE SECRETS HIDDEN WITHIN, AND HAVING A PHYSICAL OBJECT THAT EXISTS IN THE REAL WORLD WITH YOU… ALL PART OF THE EXPERIENCE AND MAGIC.

DIGITAL FORMATS AND STREAMING ARE GREAT AND CERTAINLY CONVENIENT, BUT THE IDEAL WAY I’D HOPE A LISTENER EXPERIENCE MY MUSIC IS TO GRAB A GREAT SET OF HEADPHONES, SIT WITH THE VINYL, DROP THE NEEDLE, HOLD THE JACKET IN YOUR HANDS LOOKING AT THE ARTWORK (WITH YOUR ................ING PHONE TURNED OFF) AND GO ON A JOURNEY WITH ME.
    -TRENT REZNOR
    https://store.nin.com/collections/mu...digital-object

Last week I was listening to Opie's show while sunning on the beach and Craig Gass, of all people, brought in a band that he heard and was wildly impressed with, The Struts. They played a couple of songs and I have to say, they sounded pretty decent, though somewhat commercial and contrived...at least to these ears after a few beers on that hot sand.

I have been absolutely addicted to Chevelle's newest album lately. The North Corridor. Its the best album they've released since Wonder What's Next. That's saying alot since it was 12 years ago.

I think Punchline and Shot From A Cannon may be my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I have been absolutely addicted to Chevelle's newest album lately. The North Corridor. Its the best album they've released since Wonder What's Next. That's saying alot since it was 12 years ago.

I think Punchline and Shot From A Cannon may be my favorites.

I saw you posted and I foolishly hoped it was news on new Tool. Sigh.

This is still good though.

I saw you posted and I foolishly hoped it was news on new Tool. Sigh.

This is still good though.
    trust me I'm all over it when I see news but the news I see is never any different than the previous. They're working on it is all anyone will say. Adam Jones drops some tidbits but nothing indicating time frame or even where they are.

In other news A Perfect Circle has made new music. It was announced a tour and an album this year. And I'm so looking forward to that. I saw them live twice, absolutely amazing shows.

Oh by the way.....
    3,941 days since the last T00L album. We're 39% into possibly Maynard James Keenan's biggest middle finger to the industry and fans, ever. Last album was titled 10,000 Days.

Not new, but I just stumbled upon this. Tears For Fears covering Radiohead's Creep. From about 3 years ago. Its pretty damn impressive. Have a listen! (warniing: some language, a few f bombs)

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

“Losers look stuff up while the rest of us are out carpin’ all them diems”

NYYF Legend

Probably of interest only to Steve... (and even so, possibly not even to Steve)

There is this tremendous Genesis Tribute Band called - The Musical Box.
    They perform near perfect recreations of Genesis concerts from the 70's. They are spot on. I've seen them a dozen times, give or take.

Anyway, they had a guest drummer for one of their songs in a concert late last month.

Here is the video. Some interesting comments below the video as well.

Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NPR released their annual list of 100 artists to watch at SXSW. There's a playlist you can stream on Spotify and they also have a zip file of all 100 songs for free download if you want.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/01/517751061/the-austin-100

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Probably of interest only to Steve... (and even so, possibly not even to Steve)

There is this tremendous Genesis Tribute Band called - The Musical Box.
    They perform near perfect recreations of Genesis concerts from the 70's. They are spot on. I've seen them a dozen times, give or take.

Anyway, they had a guest drummer for one of their songs in a concert late last month.

Here is the video. Some interesting comments below the video as well.

Damn I love early Genesis. The pretension is so palpable, but so what.
    Mr Coffee: "I definitely think people are overreacting to the Arpaio pardon."

Awesome NIN news!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ls-eps-w485980

Trent Reznor Announces Trilogy of Nine Inch Nails EPs

'Not the Actual Events' is the first of three EP installments rock band will release this year

-snip-

"Did you know Not the Actual Events was the first part of a trilogy of related EPs that will be released about 6-8 months apart? Now you do," he wrote in the message. If the band is on schedule, the second EP should arrive around July 23rd, ahead of Nine Inch Nails' first scheduled tour date at FYF Fest in Los Angeles. The final EP would come out by the end of 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Damn I love early Genesis. The pretension is so palpable, but so what.
    Yeah, man. A Trick of The Tail.... ever listen to Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood"? Reminds me a lot of earlier Genesis stuff.

Nine Inch Nails and A Perfect Circle on one bill! That's amazing by itself. Plus Gojira, Stone Sour and Mastadon makes it even better. Oh yeah, and someone named Ozzy is also playing with a guy named Zakk Wylde. Others are Five Finger Death Punch, Suicidal Tendencies, Halestorm, Marylin Manson

http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/06/06...jira-and-more/

Aftershock Festival

Nine Inch Nails and A Perfect Circle on one bill! That's amazing by itself. Plus Gojira, Stone Sour and Mastadon makes it even better. Oh yeah, and someone named Ozzy is also playing with a guy named Zakk Wylde. Others are Five Finger Death Punch, Suicidal Tendencies, Halestorm, Marylin Manson

http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/06/06...jira-and-more/

Aftershock Festival
    Wow...where is that taking place?

There's no way I would watch Ozzy perform now. He was terrible back in 2002 when I saw Ozzfest. Can't imagine 15 years later. Just give it up dude.

Wow...where is that taking place?

There's no way I would watch Ozzy perform now. He was terrible back in 2002 when I saw Ozzfest. Can't imagine 15 years later. Just give it up dude.
    its in Sacramento California. I hope NIN and APC tour together. They did once before it was an amazing evening of music. They are both on the top of live performances of all time with me.

Yeah I think with Ozzy it's just a nostalgic thing. I'd see him again. Especially with Zakk Wylde. They are great together. I got to see them once before and it was fun. I gotta give Ozzy credit for him being able to even try.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Yeah, man. A Trick of The Tail.... ever listen to Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood"? Reminds me a lot of earlier Genesis stuff.
    I *love* Fish-era Marillion. My first exposure to that band was the video of their pop-hit "Kayleigh" back in '85. I bought the CD, Misplaced Childood in maybe the second batch of discs I ever bought. Late '86 or early '87. Atmospheric without being ambient. I really like that album. Definitely a lot of parallels to early Genesis, notably Fish to Peter Gabriel..

As for new music...I'm digging the new War on Drugs, LCD Soundsystem's "Call the Police" and last year's Car Seat Headrest effort, Teens of Denial.
    Mr Coffee: "I definitely think people are overreacting to the Arpaio pardon."

its in Sacramento California. I hope NIN and APC tour together. They did once before it was an amazing evening of music. They are both on the top of live performances of all time win me.

Yeah I think with Ozzy it's just a nostalgic thing. I'd see him again. Especially with Zakk Wylde. They are great together. I got to see them once before and it was fun. I gotta give Ozzy credit for him being able to even try.
    Oh, haha not going to see that show then. Can't fly cross country to see a concert. Would be nice if NIN and APC toured together again though. Super psyched for the new EPs coming out later this year. Always interesting when Trent makes music. I think he also did the score for the Ken Burns' Vietnam doc coming out this fall.

Yeah Zakk was playing with him back in the Ozzfest days when I saw him. I always felt Sharon kept forcing him out on the road. It was sad. Now he's 68.

I can't wait for the new NIN albums. APC promised a new EP this year as well. Now only if T00L will finish their recording.

I heard Trent was working with Ken Burns but I wasn't sure on what though.

Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (Live At Capitals Summertime Ball)

Thread Information