+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 2943

Thread: Who am I?

  1. #2901
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: Who am I?

    The player is Mike Glavine, who had 1 career hit in September 2003 with the Mets. https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00309140.shtml is about his debut. People were assuming that none of the players involved were pitchers.

  2. #2902
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    The player is Mike Glavine, who had 1 career hit in September 2003 with the Mets. https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00309140.shtml is about his debut. People were assuming that none of the players involved were pitchers.
    I wasn't assuming that at all. I looked at Walker Cooper, Larry Sherry, and even Rick Ferrell. But if you're going to use someone that obscure, you have to provide enough information to have a chance at figuring it out. If you just throw out the complete set of brothers in baseball history, with no foothold exc put random guessing, no one's going to accidentally hit on Mike Glavine. Ask the questions better and we have a chance - and more fun.

  3. #2903
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I wasn't assuming that at all. I looked at Walker Cooper, Larry Sherry, and even Rick Ferrell. But if you're going to use someone that obscure, you have to provide enough information to have a chance at figuring it out. If you just throw out the complete set of brothers in baseball history, with no foothold exc put random guessing, no one's going to accidentally hit on Mike Glavine. Ask the questions better and we have a chance - and more fun.
    I noted the same issue with the "players with same name" question from 7/1/17.

    Here's how you do it (from 6/21/10):


    Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Who am I #294

    I played for the Yankees, but I'm not one of those "true" Yankees ... you know, the kind that spend their entire career as a Yankee. I played for three major league teams in all, and got my knickname while playing for the Baltimore Orioles.

    I was one of the best pitchers in the league a few years, winning over 20 games twice and posting an ERA+ over 150, twice. My pitching career was shortened, though. I only threw about 1200 innings total. I did get to pitch in two post seasons, and pitched well, helping my team win World Series titles both years. I'm also a two time All Star, but didn't get to pitch in either game.

    Who am I?
    Off topic: Jenn was RO'ed?
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 09-09-17 at 05:31 PM.

  4. #2904
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I noted the same issue with the "players with same name" question from 7/1/17.

    Here's how you do it (from 6/21/10):




    Off topic: Jenn was RO'ed?
    Dave Visbeck, too. I wonder why.

  5. #2905
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    The player is Mike Glavine, who had 1 career hit in September 2003 with the Mets. https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00309140.shtml is about his debut. People were assuming that none of the players involved were pitchers.
    I was not assuming but most of the Pitcher/Brother combos there were 2 pitchers involved or they weren't on the same team. so I had to discard them. As I said way too many to check them all.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  6. #2906
    NYYF HOF


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: Who am I?

    My team lost the last 8 playoff games I played in. I played for 8 teams after my last playoff game.

  7. #2907

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    My team lost the last 8 playoff games I played in. I played for 8 teams after my last playoff game.
    Royce Clayton
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

  8. #2908
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    OK, I'm taking over. If we can't do this right, we won't do it at all. As they said in my home state of Tennessee, if you're going to do something, do it properly.

    My major league career spanned 18 seasons, but curiously, I only pitched in the majors for 8 of those many years. Strangely, I saved the best for first -- I am a pitcher who won 18 games in his rookie season, almost half of my career win total, and I led my league in shutouts. I also beat a team regarded as one of baseball's best FIVE TIMES that year!

    The shutouts I pitched that year would be the only ones I would ever pitch in MLB, though. My superb rookie pitching got me enough votes to finish 15th in League MVP voting that year. I helped my team to a 3rd place finish, but it was a distant 3rd. In my big year I unwittingly contributed to a hitting record -- twice.

    After that, my arm went bad. I was accused of faking but it really hurt. I was in the minors within a season after my great rookie year, but made it back within a few years to be a mainstay on the staff of a tail-ender.

    But I spent the rest of my career mostly in the minors. I did get back to the majors a few times. In fact I am one of the 10 oldest "true" MLB pitching staff members ever (meaning not a stunt appearance, I was an ongoing member of the staff).

    Oh yes, the record-setter who victimized me twice in my great rookie year also beat me on the mound once in a future season. Who am I?

  9. #2909
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Who am I?

    Are you Hod Lisenbee

    Impressive going 5-2 against the 27 Yankees who only lost 44 games that year.

    I'm guessing the great who took you deep and beat you later on was none other than the Bambino who managed to log 2 more pitching wins after 1927. My guess is one of them was against you.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  10. #2910
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Are you Hod Lisenbee

    Impressive going 5-2 against the 27 Yankees who only lost 44 games that year.

    I'm guessing the great who took you deep and beat you later on was none other than the Bambino who managed to log 2 more pitching wins after 1927. My guess is one of them was against you.
    Nice job: https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...93009280.shtml
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  11. #2911
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Are you Hod Lisenbee

    Impressive going 5-2 against the 27 Yankees who only lost 44 games that year.

    I'm guessing the great who took you deep and beat you later on was none other than the Bambino who managed to log 2 more pitching wins after 1927. My guess is one of them was against you.
    Correctamundo

  12. #2912
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I can't believe they relieved me with a terrier in that game.

  13. #2913
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I can't believe they relieved me with a terrier in that game.
    And the terrier pitched better than you did, though not by much.

  14. #2914
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    And the terrier pitched better than you did
    Only because the Yankees called off the dogs.

    I just couldn't get Yats Wuestling out that day. Oh, how many pitchers have uttered that lament?

  15. #2915
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Correctamundo
    Well it was a lot easier with some actual clues.

    And baseball reference made it not too hard though my first couple forays lead to dead ends I finally hit on a way to approach the problem that went something like this...

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/mvp_cya.shtml

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/a...27.shtml#ALmvp

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...isenho01.shtml
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  16. #2916
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Well it was a lot easier with some actual clues.

    And baseball reference made it not too hard though my first couple forays lead to dead ends I finally hit on a way to approach the problem that went something like this...

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/mvp_cya.shtml

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/a...27.shtml#ALmvp

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...isenho01.shtml
    Yeah I took a tennis coach approach to this one, I wanted to make whoever took the serve run the baseline but I wanted them to get the return shot over the net.

    Edit: As a subtle hint, I intentionally capitalized "League" in "League MVP" because the MVP was awarded then by the leagues, not the BBWAA. But you obviously didn't need the hint.

    Your serve

  17. #2917
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Your serve
    I'm usually better at trying to solve these thing than ask them but I'll give it a whirl.

    I was highly touted bonus baby. Things started out pretty good but soon went south. In my career I smacked 76 balls over the wall. I know that doesn't sound like much being only 3 more than Lamar hit in just one season when he set the record but for MLB players with 10 more more major league wins on the mound the total ranks second only to Babe Ruth.

    Who am I?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  18. #2918
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm usually better at trying to solve these thing than ask them but I'll give it a whirl.

    I was highly touted bonus baby. Things started out pretty good but soon went south. In my career I smacked 76 balls over the wall. I know that doesn't sound like much being only 3 more than Lamar hit in just one season when he set the record but for MLB players with 10 more more major league wins on the mound the total ranks second only to Babe Ruth.

    Who am I?
    You are Rick Ankiel...only 38 this year, and in some parallel universe you're still a useful, crafty left-handed starter nearing the end of a Hall of Fame career.

  19. #2919
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You are Rick Ankiel...only 38 this year, and in some parallel universe you're still a useful, crafty left-handed starter nearing the end of a Hall of Fame career.
    Worst case of Steve Blass Disease since Steve Blass. Mark Wohlers and now Dellin Betances have had milder strains of it but Ankiel's was terminal. It was really painful to watch.

  20. #2920
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You are Rick Ankiel...only 38 this year, and in some parallel universe you're still a useful, crafty left-handed starter nearing the end of a Hall of Fame career.
    I figured that one would be too easy. I tried to keep clues minimal but he's still too fresh in everyones mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Worst case of Steve Blass Disease since Steve Blass. Mark Wohlers and now Dellin Betances have had milder strains of it but Ankiel's was terminal. It was really painful to watch.
    Yeah that was painful to watch him self destruct on the mound in the playoffs like that.

    I still remember a throw he made from deep in the outfield on a line to 3rd base to nail some one. I dead panned it saying, "he's got a good arm maybe he should try pitching"
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  21. #2921
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Who am I?

    Let me try another one here -

    My 11 year career began and ended in the National league tough I'm more remembered for what I did the American League.

    I twice lead the AL in stolen bases and it would have been 3 times if I didn't trip over 1st base costing me the rest of the season and my first chance at post season baseball.

    My speed also helped me to record more putouts than any other outfielder in the league on two occasions.

    And even thought I was more know for my speed and defense I was my franchises first ever designated hitter!

    Despite my injury that cost me the first post season I did get a chance to play in 3 of the next 5 post seasons but while I was a league average hitter for my career I was down right dreadful in post season play going just 3 for 59.

    Who am I?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  22. #2922
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

    And even thought I was more know for my speed and defense I was my franchises first ever designated hitter!
    Well I guess we can rule out Ron Blomberg ...

    Are you Billy North?

  23. #2923
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Well are you? (TBH know you are because your long silence sent me to B-Ref. I'll post a new one in the next few days if anyone cares -- actually even if anyone doesn't)

  24. #2924
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Well are you? (TBH know you are because your long silence sent me to B-Ref. I'll post a new one in the next few days if anyone cares -- actually even if anyone doesn't)
    Stupid b-r.com. If you search for "Billy North," you're taken directly to the page of Billy Northam, who played in 90 games for the 1951 Alexandria Aces of the C-level Evangeline League. (Looks like all the teams were about sea-level, too, or at least bayou-level.)

    In order to find Billy North, you have to know to search for "Bill North." Now, maybe "Bill" was his preference, and he was dubbed "Billy" by condescending PR departments or sportswriters (much as Roberto Clement was known as "Bobby" early in his career). But even if that was true of North, he was universally known as "Billy" throughout his career. Stupid b-r.com.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  25. #2925
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Well are you? (TBH know you are because your long silence sent me to B-Ref. I'll post a new one in the next few days if anyone cares -- actually even if anyone doesn't)
    Royce Clayton

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 7 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts