+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 114 115 116 117
Results 2,901 to 2,915 of 2915

Thread: Who am I?

NYYF HOF

Re: Who am I?

The player is Mike Glavine, who had 1 career hit in September 2003 with the Mets. https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00309140.shtml is about his debut. People were assuming that none of the players involved were pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    The player is Mike Glavine, who had 1 career hit in September 2003 with the Mets. https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00309140.shtml is about his debut. People were assuming that none of the players involved were pitchers.
    I wasn't assuming that at all. I looked at Walker Cooper, Larry Sherry, and even Rick Ferrell. But if you're going to use someone that obscure, you have to provide enough information to have a chance at figuring it out. If you just throw out the complete set of brothers in baseball history, with no foothold exc put random guessing, no one's going to accidentally hit on Mike Glavine. Ask the questions better and we have a chance - and more fun.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I wasn't assuming that at all. I looked at Walker Cooper, Larry Sherry, and even Rick Ferrell. But if you're going to use someone that obscure, you have to provide enough information to have a chance at figuring it out. If you just throw out the complete set of brothers in baseball history, with no foothold exc put random guessing, no one's going to accidentally hit on Mike Glavine. Ask the questions better and we have a chance - and more fun.
    I noted the same issue with the "players with same name" question from 7/1/17.

Here's how you do it (from 6/21/10):

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Who am I #294

I played for the Yankees, but I'm not one of those "true" Yankees ... you know, the kind that spend their entire career as a Yankee. I played for three major league teams in all, and got my knickname while playing for the Baltimore Orioles.

I was one of the best pitchers in the league a few years, winning over 20 games twice and posting an ERA+ over 150, twice. My pitching career was shortened, though. I only threw about 1200 innings total. I did get to pitch in two post seasons, and pitched well, helping my team win World Series titles both years. I'm also a two time All Star, but didn't get to pitch in either game.

Who am I?
    Off topic: Jenn was RO'ed?
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 09-09-17 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I noted the same issue with the "players with same name" question from 7/1/17.

Here's how you do it (from 6/21/10):

Off topic: Jenn was RO'ed?
    Dave Visbeck, too. I wonder why.

NYYF Legend

I was not assuming but most of the Pitcher/Brother combos there were 2 pitchers involved or they weren't on the same team. so I had to discard them. As I said way too many to check them all.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF HOF

My team lost the last 8 playoff games I played in. I played for 8 teams after my last playoff game.

My team lost the last 8 playoff games I played in. I played for 8 teams after my last playoff game.
    Royce Clayton
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

NYYF Legend

OK, I'm taking over. If we can't do this right, we won't do it at all. As they said in my home state of Tennessee, if you're going to do something, do it properly.

My major league career spanned 18 seasons, but curiously, I only pitched in the majors for 8 of those many years. Strangely, I saved the best for first -- I am a pitcher who won 18 games in his rookie season, almost half of my career win total, and I led my league in shutouts. I also beat a team regarded as one of baseball's best FIVE TIMES that year!

The shutouts I pitched that year would be the only ones I would ever pitch in MLB, though. My superb rookie pitching got me enough votes to finish 15th in League MVP voting that year. I helped my team to a 3rd place finish, but it was a distant 3rd. In my big year I unwittingly contributed to a hitting record -- twice.

After that, my arm went bad. I was accused of faking but it really hurt. I was in the minors within a season after my great rookie year, but made it back within a few years to be a mainstay on the staff of a tail-ender.

But I spent the rest of my career mostly in the minors. I did get back to the majors a few times. In fact I am one of the 10 oldest "true" MLB pitching staff members ever (meaning not a stunt appearance, I was an ongoing member of the staff).

Oh yes, the record-setter who victimized me twice in my great rookie year also beat me on the mound once in a future season. Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Are you Hod Lisenbee

Impressive going 5-2 against the 27 Yankees who only lost 44 games that year.

I'm guessing the great who took you deep and beat you later on was none other than the Bambino who managed to log 2 more pitching wins after 1927. My guess is one of them was against you.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Are you Hod Lisenbee

I'm guessing the great who took you deep and beat you later on was none other than the Bambino who managed to log 2 more pitching wins after 1927. My guess is one of them was against you.
    Nice job: https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...93009280.shtml
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Are you Hod Lisenbee

Correctamundo

NYYF Legend

I can't believe they relieved me with a terrier in that game.

I can't believe they relieved me with a terrier in that game.
    And the terrier pitched better than you did, though not by much.

NYYF Legend

And the terrier pitched better than you did
    Only because the Yankees called off the dogs.

I just couldn't get Yats Wuestling out that day. Oh, how many pitchers have uttered that lament?

NYYF Legend

Correctamundo
    Well it was a lot easier with some actual clues.

And baseball reference made it not too hard though my first couple forays lead to dead ends I finally hit on a way to approach the problem that went something like this...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/mvp_cya.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/a...27.shtml#ALmvp

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...isenho01.shtml
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information