+ Reply to Thread
Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 117 118 119 120
Results 2,976 to 2,989 of 2989

Thread: Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Re: Who am I?

Indeed you are Clank, who shared rightfield for the 1970 Yankees with Jim Lyttle, and with Ron Woods, who is making an appearance in the "year you were born" thread in ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Indeed you are Clank, who shared rightfield for the 1970 Yankees with Jim Lyttle, and with Ron Woods, who is making an appearance in the "year you were born" thread in ATM.
    Sharing right field with Jim Lyttle and Ron Woods should be a clear sign that your career is just about done.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

TEN HUT!

I had a pretty distinguished MLB career, not HOF-worthy or anything but quite solid. If I'd been able to make my MLB debut before age 27, and pitched beyond 37, I might have piled up a lot of wins, but I won a goodly amount as it was.

I pitched for good teams and bad teams, but I was fortunate later in my career to pitch for 3 straight pennant winners (and one WS winner) ... on 2 different teams. In my prime I was a workhorse: One year i led the majors in wins, pitching appearances and sadly, hits allowed. Wonder if anyone else ever achieved that "Triple Crown"?

I led the majors in wins twice, in winning percentage once, in innings pitched once, in homers allowed once, in hits allowed twice. All in all not bad for a boy from tobacco country.

I batted left and threw right, not unusual for a pitcher like me but brought it up because it's unusual for non-pitchers.

AT EASE!
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 03-22-18 at 04:44 AM.

NYYF Legend

General Crowder reporting for duty SIR
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    General Crowder reporting for duty SIR
    AFFIRMATIVE.

For a great low rate you can get online, go to General Crowder and save some time.

NYYF HOF

In a game in 1999, I was in a starting lineup but never got on the field, and I wasn't injured or ejected. Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Cal Ripken

NYYF Legend

Cal Ripken
    If you are referring to the game that ended his starting streak I recall that the O's manager handed the umpire the lineup card without his name and the Umpire was like "are you sure?".
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

oh well. Best I could do given the paucity of hints.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    In a game in 1999, I was in a starting lineup but never got on the field, and I wasn't injured or ejected. Who am I?
    I remember a couple years ago the Rays turned in a bad lineup card and lost the DH before the game. I think the manager listed 2 people at 3rd base and no one at DH and the DH was lost and the Pitcher (James Shields I think) had to bat.

I can't recall the year that happened but it was well after 1999.

I'm guessing something similar happened to a team in 1999 but given the dearth of clues I have no idea what team it was or who the player was.

Found it https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ement/2402957/

On July 22, 1999, the Cleveland Indians hosted the Toronto Blue Jays. Indians manager Mike Hargrove listed cleanup hitter Manny Ramirez as the designated hitter and number 7 hitter Alex Ramirez as the right fielder. However, the wrong Ramirez—Manny — played right field in the first inning instead of Alex. What happens in terms of the designated hitter?
    Alex Ramirez was out of the game and Nagy had to bat 7th.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF HOF

I was talking about Alex Ramirez. I don't remember the details about Ripken. What search terms did you use to find it on USA Today?

For Tampa Bay's mistake, I'm wondering if computers that statistics get put in would complain about teammates listed starting in the same position like how computers didn't like when Jean Segura reached second, ran back, and the umpires let him steal first.

NYYF Legend

I did a google search for “mlb manager submitted illegal lineup” or something like that
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    like how computers didn't like when Jean Segura reached second, ran back, and the umpires let him steal first.
    Huh what? Germany Schaefer did this in the 1910s and I thought it was outlawed after that?

Huh what? Germany Schaefer did this in the 1910s and I thought it was outlawed after that?
    According to Wikipedia:

In the eighth inning of a game on April 19, 2013, Segura stole second base, and then "stole" first base, then was thrown out trying to again steal second base.

After Segura singled and stole second, and Ryan Braun walked,[11] Segura and Braun attempted a double steal. However, Segura retreated to second after the pitcher Shawn Camp threw to third base instead of pitching. With both Segura and Braun standing on second base, both were tagged, and by baseball's rules it was Braun who was out. However, Segura thought that he himself was out and began to head back to the Brewers' dugout (which happened to be on the first-base side of the field), until first base coach Garth Iorg instructed Segura to stand on first base, where he was ruled safe. Two pitches later, Segura was caught stealing second base.

The play resulted in much confusion regarding whether or not Segura should have been allowed to retreat to first base after he had legitimately occupied second base.[13] The umpires allowed it under a rule that specifies only that a player may not retreat if the intent is to "confuse the defense or make a travesty of the game,"[14] as Segura was doing no such thing but was simply confused. MLB later declared that the ruling on the field was wrong, as a rule forbidding a player from reaching a base after "abandoning the effort" at baserunning should have superseded the rule invoked when calling him safe, and that Segura should have been called out at first base.

Thread Information