+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 120 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 70 ... LastLast
Results 476 to 500 of 2989

Thread: Who am I?

  1. #476
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Oh! Also about that Stocking team. They began the season winning 22 games, then tied one, then won 4 more - a 26 - 0 - 1 start to the season! Later they won 8 in a row and then 13 in a row, and a 15 game winning streak!

    They did lose 2 games in a row one time. First to the St Louis Brown Stockings and then right after to the Chicago White Stockings - who would later turn into today's Chicago Cubs. Actually, the Boston Red Stockings lost to that Chicago team twice that season - two of the eight losses Boston had!

  2. #477
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Who am I? #85

    I was the first pitcher to ever hit a home run in post season play. It just so happened to come off a future Hall of Fame pitcher as luck would have it.

    Speaking of post-season play, my son also played in the big leagues ... some fifteen years after I retired ... but he never was able to hit any home runs while in post season play unfortunately. He did however, hit more regular season home runs than I did.

    We would pitch in three World Series games for the teams we were on, starting two games and winning one game out of the eight combined World Series games our teams would win in those two different World Series. Our combined post-season ERA would be 2.00 ... and we would also have one pitching loss between us.

    My son and I also happened to play for the same ball team ... some years apart of course ... for a combined 12 seasons of play between us. Together we would win 177 times in our 325 starts, with 26 games won by shut-out. Per season, that would mean we would start an average of 27 games a year, winning right around 15 games in a season, while averaging more then 2 shut-outs a year ... all if we had been one player. We totaled 31 saves also in that time.

    Funny thing. For the two of us, in both of our final seasons as Major League players, we would happen to play for another, yet same ball club once again!This time our playing days would be twenty-four years apart from each other. We would win 10 games when pitching in combination with this different and final team for each of us.

    One last thing though. I don't think that I ever honestly said for sure about us ... ... that the both of us were actually really pitchers when we were both players in the Major Leagues.

    Who am I?

  3. #478
    Member
    26xwc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vermont

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Who am I? #85

    I was the first pitcher to ever hit a home run in post season play. It just so happened to come off a future Hall of Fame pitcher as luck would have it.

    Speaking of post-season play, my son also played in the big leagues ... some fifteen years after I retired ... but he never was able to hit any home runs while in post season play unfortunately. He did however, hit more regular season home runs than I did.

    We would pitch in three World Series games for the teams we were on, starting two games and winning one game out of the eight combined World Series games our teams would win in those two different World Series. Our combined post-season ERA would be 2.00 ... and we would also have one pitching loss between us.

    My son and I also happened to play for the same ball team ... some years apart of course ... for a combined 12 seasons of play between us. Together we would win 177 times in our 325 starts, with 26 games won by shut-out. Per season, that would mean we would start an average of 27 games a year, winning right around 15 games in a season, while averaging more then 2 shut-outs a year ... all if we had been one player. We totaled 31 saves also in that time.

    Funny thing. For the two of us, in both of our final seasons as Major League players, we would happen to play for another, yet same ball club once again!This time our playing days would be twenty-four years apart from each other. We would win 10 games when pitching in combination with this different and final team for each of us.

    One last thing though. I don't think that I ever honestly said for sure about us ... ... that the both of us were actually really pitchers when we were both players in the Major Leagues.

    Who am I?
    I believe you are Jim Bagby Sr. and Jim Bagby Jr.

  4. #479
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by 26xwc
    I believe you are Jim Bagby Sr. and Jim Bagby Jr.
    The Wizard can not be stopped!

  5. #480
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Updated to right now ... which is during a 1-1 tie in the top of the 8th inning at Shea between the Cardinals and Mets.

    How come I can't find the answer to #79? Have I missed who did it?

    # 79
    # 80 Joe Torre (soxfansince67)
    # 81 Tommy Henrich (Paiglee)
    # 82 Goose Goslin (soxfansince67)
    # 83 Jack Quinn (26xwc)
    # 84 Quinn (soxfansince67)
    # 85 Jim Bagby Sr. & Jim Bagby Jr. (The Wizard - 26xwc)

  6. #481
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by soxfansince67
    Thanks Dave, I hope you enjoyed Disneyland, the Kids are only young once so grab all the goodtimes you can with them now.

    I myself am just about on my way to Texas to see my 19 year old son off to Iraq, so needless to say I'd rather be going to Disney.

    To answer your first question, I met Goose in 1969, the year after he was inducted into
    the Hall of Fame, my Eighth Grade Wood Shop teacher was his neighbor and took me to meet him. The stories he told about the game and the players were amazing.

    As to your second question, I'll give you a few clues that should help you figure out who the second is.

    His entire career which spanned 18 seasons was played all with the same team. During that time he was an All Star 12 times, A Gold Glover 10 times, Home run Champ eight times, led the league in RBI, BB,and (unfortunely) K four times each,
    he was also League MVP three times and World Series MVP once.

    All in All a very impressive resume, I met and worked with him while co-ordinating a Charity event in college( I still wonder how I ended up paying for lunch?).

    In any case Dave have fun with your kids now, that's far more important than anything else.

    Alan
    Had anyone else read this? I sorta gave an answer to this little question Allen had for me. He understood being a Red Sox fan. Everyone else already know who this is? If not - make a guess then.

    Alan's ... Who am I? #86

    His entire career which spanned 18 seasons was played all with the same team. During that time he was an All Star 12 times, A Gold Glover 10 times, Home run Champ eight times, led the league in RBI, BB,and (unfortunely) K four times each, he was also League MVP three times and World Series MVP once.

    All in All a very impressive resume, I met and worked with him while co-ordinating a Charity event in college( I still wonder how I ended up paying for lunch?).

    Who am I?

  7. #482
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Who am I? #87

    My career looked like what follows ... but lacking 4 seasons. I might be in the Hall of Fame ... but would it be as a visitor or a player? I could of been an MVP. Maybe a MVP more than one time! You decide what could be true just based on the following numbers I have:

    In these 13 years of play I did the following: First of all I am a pitcher. When I pitched during these years my ERA was 3.58. I won 119 times. I lost 106 times. That is a winning percentage of (.529). When I wasn't pitching in games during these thirteen seasons, my ball clubs were to go 1051 - 951. (.525) My teams were in two World Series during this time.

    Now some more of what I did in those thirteen years:

    I pitched in 327 games. I started 245 times and completed 119 of those games, 12 being a complete game shut-out for me. I had 20 saves and finished a total of 56 games. I gave up 113 home runs in the 1879 innings I pitched. I gave up 1793 hits, walked 828 batters while striking-out 978.

    Who am I?

  8. #483
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Had anyone else read this? I sorta gave an answer to this little question Allen had for me. He understood being a Red Sox fan. Everyone else already know who this is? If not - make a guess then.

    Alan's ... Who am I? #86

    His entire career which spanned 18 seasons was played all with the same team. During that time he was an All Star 12 times, A Gold Glover 10 times, Home run Champ eight times, led the league in RBI, BB,and (unfortunely) K four times each, he was also League MVP three times and World Series MVP once.

    All in All a very impressive resume, I met and worked with him while co-ordinating a Charity event in college( I still wonder how I ended up paying for lunch?).

    Who am I?
    Are you Michael Jack Schmidt?

  9. #484
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Who am I? #87

    My career looked like what follows ... but lacking 4 seasons. I might be in the Hall of Fame ... but would it be as a visitor or a player? I could of been an MVP. Maybe a MVP more than one time! You decide what could be true just based on the following numbers I have:

    In these 13 years of play I did the following: First of all I am a pitcher. When I pitched during these years my ERA was 3.58. I won 119 times. I lost 106 times. That is a winning percentage of (.529). When I wasn't pitching in games during these thirteen seasons, my ball clubs were to go 1051 - 951. (.525) My teams were in two World Series during this time.

    Now some more of what I did in those thirteen years:

    I pitched in 327 games. I started 245 times and completed 119 of those games, 12 being a complete game shut-out for me. I had 20 saves and finished a total of 56 games. I gave up 113 home runs in the 1879 innings I pitched. I gave up 1793 hits, walked 828 batters while striking-out 978.

    Who am I?
    Subtract his 4 best years, and you're pretty darned close to Hal Newhouser, so I'll guess him.

  10. #485
    Forum Regular
    soxfansince67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Stones throw away from Pawtucket

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Johnny Podres
    Stay safe E Co. 1/67 AR BN

  11. #486
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman
    Are you Michael Jack Schmidt?
    Ron (hellonewman) is back again with another correct answer ... this time #86 with his guess of Mike Schmidt.

    I wonder why he couldn't pick up the lunch tab instead of Allen?

  12. #487
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by soxfansince67
    Johnny Podres
    Allen (soxfansince67) has been doing a great job since deciding to come into this thread!

    Allen has the right answer to #79 with his guess of Johnny Podres.

  13. #488
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman
    Subtract his 4 best years, and you're pretty darned close to Hal Newhouser, so I'll guess him.
    And right before Allen made his guess of Johnny Podres for #79, hellonewman was correct once again with his quess to #87! Hal Newhouser was right!

    How did you get the answer to that one so fast? And without those 4 years from 43' to 46' ... do his numbers look worthy enough for Copperstown? A tough call.

    Three of those four seasons were actual war years when many stars in baseball were off and away at war ... and the fourth season in 1946 - was when all the regular Major League stars were back from WWII and trying to knock off the rust from not having played at this level from anywhere between one to three years that had been lost years in their profession of Major League baseball.

    A good example of a Yankee player that was not up to par in 1946 was Joe DiMaggio. I sort of look at those four years - instead of just three years ... as not quite being up to par as normal until the 1947 season finally came.

    None of those players were any younger, be they baseball stars or just even the everyday regulars that had been very good when they went away ... and none pulled off numbers that could be looked at as anywhere near something out of the ordinary ... as when compaired with the likes of numbers of an older Barry Bonds for example ... in his advanced age that found him turning things extremely around ... and doing so without losing any seasons to a war like those World War II guys ... or to advanced age.

  14. #489
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Who am I? #88

    Looking back, when Yankee Stadium opened it's doors for play, straight-away center field was pretty damn deep. Whitey Witt was the first to play the position of center regularly. Whitey led the league in fielding at .979 that first Stadium season and had 14 assists with 4 double plays on the year.

    Years later, Joe DiMaggio would come along and grace center field. Before one new season for him, there were some modifications done at Yankee Stadium. The new deepest part of center field was brought in some 26 feet. Joe looked pretty good in the new center field for the most part, fielding at .962 and leading the league in put-outs with 413. Joe displayed a strong arm and he managed to have 21 assists and 4 double plays that season of change.

    Ever wonder how strong an arm both those players had? Have you ever heard or seen anything about how far a toss one of those guys could make? Just for fun, lets put a chalk line out there in the deepest part of center field at Yankee Stadium ... on the field where Joe D played that season. And just to give a player some room for a running start ... we'll put that chalk line at16 feet away from the deepest part of the center field fence.

    Pretty far out there! How far do you think that someone ... anyone at any time in baseball ... could throw a ball in distance from out there? How about Mickey Mantle ... because he'd be comfortable throwing a ball from out there ... being that the fence would remain at that same distant position for the whole time he played center field in his Yankee career.

    In a demonstration of sorts, do you think there is anyone at all that could possibly reach the center of home plate in distance... on the fly! That would be one heck of a long way for a throw to travel in the air! That demonstration is where I enter this picture.

    I played just a few seasons in the Major Leagues. I didn't even hit for a career average higher then .240 in my brief time in the Majors ... while playing for two teams. The first team I played for only used me in left field. However, the next team I was with tried me out in center field for almost a handful of games. They decided the best position for me would be in right field.

    With my second club I played a total of 57 games in the outfield my first season. While playing in the outfield for them, I fielded at .984 with 113 put-outs. I also had 10 assists along with 2 double plays.

    You now may be wondering why I've talked so much about center field at Yankee Stadium ... since my playing time found me mostly in the right field position. The answer is because center field is so deep out there in New York.

    Like Mantle, DiMaggio, and maybe Witt ... I also had a strong arm. If for demonstration purposes I was to throw a ball from a chalk line made on the ball field for the team I played on ... say ... out in deep right-center field there ... that line would have to be somewhat beyond that outfield fence. How far past the front of the fence in the deepest part of right-center you may be wondering? Well ... right about at 52 more feet away is all!

    I have thrown a ball that total distance on the fly in a demonstration ... all the way and far enough on the fly in distance to put the ball right on the middle of home plate!!

    Some estimates say that when I released the ball from my throwing hand, it was traveling at a speed of one hundred and twenty miles an hour!

    Who am I?

  15. #490
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Who am I? #89

    I'm the only Major League All-Star Game player that has ever had a perfect 1.000 batting average and a slugging average as high as mine is at 2.667 in career all-star play. I was able to do it without the benefit of ever being named as a starter for a game in the two games in which I played. In fact, I was just one extra-base hit away from doing something very special that would of been pretty amazing for anyone to do in an all-star game. If only I had been given the chance for it with just one more at-bat in that game.

    My having accomplished this in all-star play with a bat was something I could point-out has having had done that was better than what a pair of guys I especially knew had ever done when they had played in the all-star games between them. In later years I would find that my all-star games facts would make for me a good addition when defending myself in Holiday gatherings with family and friends ... if talk ever turned to all of our combined baseball batting feats.

    Who am I?

  16. #491
    Forum Regular
    soxfansince67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Stones throw away from Pawtucket

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Vince Dimaggio who was a Double short of the cycle in 1943
    Stay safe E Co. 1/67 AR BN

  17. #492
    Member
    26xwc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vermont

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Who am I? #88


    Looking back, when Yankee Stadium opened it's doors for play, straight-away center field was pretty damn deep. Whitey Witt was the first to play the position of center regularly. Whitey led the league in fielding at .979 that first Stadium season and had 14 assists with 4 double plays on the year.

    Years later, Joe DiMaggio would come along and grace center field. Before one new season for him, there were some modifications done at Yankee Stadium. The new deepest part of center field was brought in some 26 feet. Joe looked pretty good in the new center field for the most part, fielding at .962 and leading the league in put-outs with 413. Joe displayed a strong arm and he managed to have 21 assists and 4 double plays that season of change.

    Ever wonder how strong an arm both those players had? Have you ever heard or seen anything about how far a toss one of those guys could make? Just for fun, lets put a chalk line out there in the deepest part of center field at Yankee Stadium ... on the field where Joe D played that season. And just to give a player some room for a running start ... we'll put that chalk line at16 feet away from the deepest part of the center field fence.

    Pretty far out there! How far do you think that someone ... anyone at any time in baseball ... could throw a ball in distance from out there? How about Mickey Mantle ... because he'd be comfortable throwing a ball from out there ... being that the fence would remain at that same distant position for the whole time he played center field in his Yankee career.

    In a demonstration of sorts, do you think there is anyone at all that could possibly reach the center of home plate in distance... on the fly! That would be one heck of a long way for a throw to travel in the air! That demonstration is where I enter this picture.

    I played just a few seasons in the Major Leagues. I didn't even hit for a career average higher then .240 in my brief time in the Majors ... while playing for two teams. The first team I played for only used me in left field. However, the next team I was with tried me out in center field for almost a handful of games. They decided the best position for me would be in right field.

    With my second club I played a total of 57 games in the outfield my first season. While playing in the outfield for them, I fielded at .984 with 113 put-outs. I also had 10 assists along with 2 double plays.

    You now may be wondering why I've talked so much about center field at Yankee Stadium ... since my playing time found me mostly in the right field position. The answer is because center field is so deep out there in New York.

    Like Mantle, DiMaggio, and maybe Witt ... I also had a strong arm. If for demonstration purposes I was to throw a ball from a chalk line made on the ball field for the team I played on ... say ... out in deep right-center field there ... that line would have to be somewhat beyond that outfield fence. How far past the front of the fence in the deepest part of right-center you may be wondering? Well ... right about at 52 more feet away is all!

    I have thrown a ball that total distance on the fly in a demonstration ... all the way and far enough on the fly in distance to put the ball right on the middle of home plate!!

    Some estimates say that when I released the ball from my throwing hand, it was traveling at a speed of one hundred and twenty miles an hour!


    Who am I?
    Glen Gorbous, played for the Reds and Phillies from 1955-1957.
    Holds the World record for the longest throw at 445 ft. 10 inches

  18. #493
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by 26xwc
    Glen Gorbous, played for the Reds and Phillies from 1955-1957.
    Holds the World record for the longest throw at 445 ft. 10 inches

    Really? Holy poop! Where do you come up with 445 feet and 10 inches?

  19. #494
    Member
    26xwc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vermont

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Really? Holy poop! Where do you come up with 445 feet and 10 inches?


    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recb...n.shtmllongest baseball throw

  20. #495
    Released Outright Jenn6812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Georgia

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by 26xwc
    I checked to see the answer to this one but couldn't see that answer you gave Dave. All the link said was that it was a Baseball Almanac Error. Thought I'd tell you.

  21. #496
    Member
    26xwc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vermont

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn6812
    I checked to see the answer to this one but couldn't see that answer you gave Dave. All the link said was that it was a Baseball Almanac Error. Thought I'd tell you.
    Sorry,lets try this one

    http://thelongestlistofthelongeststu...m/long197.html

  22. #497
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by 26xwc

    She is right nearby so I'll show her.

    Well I'll be ... you got the answer right on the chalk mark!

  23. #498
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Who am I? #90

    I'm the only pitcher that lost a home run due to the way the old home run rule was set up. I was the only player to lose a home run in that season. I was credited with only a single even though I hit that ball over the fence.

    Now on the mound in the year I lost my home run I had the 2nd most wins on my team. It was the best winning percentage year in my career. I gave up a league high number in home runs that year. (I'm a right-handed pitcher by the way).

    I pitched in three World Series and never lost a game in the five games I pitched for a Series total of 10.2 innings. My ERA in World Series play was 1.23 earned runs less than my regular season career ERA in which I won 40 more games than what I lost.

    Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 10-26-06 at 09:17 AM.

  24. #499
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Who am I? #91

    If only we had taken the first game of our double-header that I pitched one past day long ago, my team would of got an important sweep after winning the second game that afternoon. We would of then had first place at that time, and a good psychological advantage against our opponent, and also, be up seven wins to four on the season series.

    Things could of then turned out a lot different then for the final standings on the year. I sure wish I wasn't the last pitcher with a certain added credential to have done what I did in Major League play.

    The game that day cost my team a win ... but cost someone else a home run in the process. The batter that hit the ball over the right field fence had done it with a base runner on first. That guy on first came around to score the only run to be allowed in the contest for his team's 1-0 victory.

    The big lug that hit the ball was awarded a triple in that game ... which record books would later show him having totaled in his career an amount right at 30 while playing with this team.

    At the end of my pitching career, my pitching numbers were found to be worthy enough to later find myself selected to a place in Cooperstown at the age of eighty. I was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame thirty-three years after that guy that missed out on a home run had taken his own seat there.

    It just so happens that the number thirty-three also is exactly half of the number of home runs I gave up in my career that is shown in today's record books. But now ... you know what the real truth should of been ... and that other guy really had one less triple!

    Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 10-26-06 at 09:18 AM.

  25. #500
    Forum Regular
    soxfansince67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Stones throw away from Pawtucket

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    All things considered, I'd say you are Stan Coveleski.

    Had it not been For Babe's "Triple " that day we may well have had to listen to chants of 1916 instead of 1918.
    Stay safe E Co. 1/67 AR BN

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts