+ Reply to Thread
Page 118 of 120 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 115 116 117 118 119 120 LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 2989

Thread: Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Re: Who am I?

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Well I guess we can rule out Ron Blomberg ...

Are you Billy North?
    Yes Billy North is correct.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...orthbi01.shtml

Sorry for the delay. Forgot to check this thread over the weekend.

Bill North came up with Cubs and ended his career with the Giants.

In between he was traded to Oakland where he had his best seasons leading the league is SB in 74 & 76.

Would likely have been a 3rd but

However, on September 20, in a loss to the Minnesota Twins, North tripped over first base; the resulting ankle sprain not only cost him the American League stolen base title (his 53 steals placed him second, only one behind Tommy Harper), it also sidelined him for the remainder of the season and cost him the chance to play in the post-season.
    Here is his wiki page where I picked out a few of the clues along with the one above https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_North
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Royce Clayton
    Good answer, though I'm partial to Lonnie "Skates" Smith as a go-to answer.

For the Yankee Stadium trivia question, my fallback used to be "Bullet" Bob Turley. These days, though, the answer is always, "Someone from the last 20 years, or Lou Gehrig."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

I'm another pitcher who peaked as a rookie. In fact I did it in the same town as the other recently mentioned super-rookie, but with a different franchise. Unfortunately, unlike him, my MLB career ended two years after it started, and more than two-thirds of my career wins were in that rookie season. But I accomplished something as a rookie that only Mark Fidrych, Fernando Valenzuela and Hideo Nomo matched. I was known for a "trick pitch" that was more famously adapted by another, better pitcher who broke into the majors about 30 years later in a city less than 50 miles from the one I pitched in. I'm sure Yankee fans know him although most of them don't remember me. My son made it to the major leagues as a light-hitting outfielder, batting .190 in a career spanning five seasons -- three of them with a team that eventually moved to the city where I pitched!

Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Are you Dave Stenhouse who started the 1962 All-star game?
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Good answer, though I'm partial to Lonnie "Skates" Smith as a go-to answer.
    I earned my nickname through my odd-looking recoveries from bad defensive positioning. After my playing career ended, I acknowledged that I had intentions to murder baseball executive John Schuerholz.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Are you Dave Stenhouse who started the 1962 All-star game?
    I am indeed Washington Senator (v2.0) Dave Stenhouse, briefly acknowledged as the master of the knuckle-curve -- which my son Mike could never hit in the backyard, even when he was playing for the Montreal Expos.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I earned my nickname through my odd-looking recoveries from bad defensive positioning. After my playing career ended, I acknowledged that I had intentions to murder baseball executive John Schuerholz.
    I also played in the World Series with 4 different teams, winning championships with 3 of them.

NYYF Legend

I also played in the World Series with 4 different teams, winning championships with 3 of them.
    would have been all 4 if you hadn't let Chuck Knoblauch fake you out in 1991.

would have been all 4 if you hadn't let Chuck Knoblauch fake you out in 1991.
    Knoblauch's decoy didn't work as well with Enrique Wilson.

NYYF Legend

Knoblauch's decoy didn't work as well with Enrique Wilson.
    Speaking of a guy who seemed to be running with skates on ... at least on that play.

NYYF Legend

Stupid b-r.com. If you search for "Billy North," you're taken directly to the page of Billy Northam, who played in 90 games for the 1951 Alexandria Aces of the C-level Evangeline League. (Looks like all the teams were about sea-level, too, or at least bayou-level.)

In order to find Billy North, you have to know to search for "Bill North." Now, maybe "Bill" was his preference, and he was dubbed "Billy" by condescending PR departments or sportswriters (much as Roberto Clement was known as "Bobby" early in his career). But even if that was true of North, he was universally known as "Billy" throughout his career. Stupid b-r.com.
    b-r.com is stupid about that, but a Yahoo advanced search for "Billy North" within baseball-reference.com found Bill North.

I had a year when I pitched for two teams, and I had an ERA over 10 with both of them. However, I wasn't all bad. The most wins I had in a season was 5, and I had an ERA under 1 that year. Out of all the pitchers with a season with an ERA under 1 and at least as many innings as I had that year, one of them had a different year with an ERA over 20, with no inning requirement that year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    b-r.com is stupid about that, but a Yahoo advanced search for "Billy North" within baseball-reference.com found Bill North.

I had a year when I pitched for two teams, and I had an ERA over 10 with both of them. However, I wasn't all bad. The most wins I had in a season was 5, and I had an ERA under 1 that year. Out of all the pitchers with a season with an ERA under 1 and at least as many innings as I had that year, one of them had a different year with an ERA over 20, with no inning requirement that year.
    You are a needle in a haystack.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Judge Crater?

You are a needle in a haystack.
    Judge Crater?
    I swear I just posted an answer to this, but it somehow disappeared into the aether. This one was completely solvable.

You are Dennys Reyes, which is apparently Spanish for "someone always needs a lefty reliever." You pitched for 15 seasons (1997-2011) with the Dodgers, Reds, Rockies, Rangers, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Royals, Padres, Twins, Cardinals, and Red Sox. Tried as a starter but more often used as a LOOGY, frequently having fewer IP than appearances, you generally put up an ERA in the mid-4s or higher, with a WHIP of about 1.6. But in 3 seasons with the Twins (well, 2 out of the three seasons, anyway) you were really very good, including your standout 2006 campaign: 5-0, 0.89, 0.987 WHIP.

Judging from your picture and your listed size - 6'3", 250 - you might have been called El Guapo if the name hadn't already been taken.

The other pitcher you refer to is Eric O'Flaherty, who was released earlier this year by the Braves, after squeezing only 12 seasons out of being a lefty reliever. In 2011, in an earlier tour with the Braves, O'Flaherty went 2-4, 0.98. Three years earlier, with Seattle, he had given up 15 earned runs on 16 hits, 4 walks, and 2 hit batsmen in 6.2 inning, for a 20.25 ERA. Opposing batters hit .457/.524/.800 off him that year. Not as bad as Bob Kammeyer's historic 1979 season, but bad enough.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Kammeyer managed an ERA+ of 2 in 1979. I don't know how you can score even that high if you give up 8 earned runs and never get an out.

Kammeyer managed an ERA+ of 2 in 1979. I don't know how you can score even that high if you give up 8 earned runs and never get an out.
    I was wondering how you could leave a pitcher out there to take that kind of beating, but it turns out the Yankees had played 5 games in the previous 3 days. Plus, Martin was managing, and he probably got off on humiliating the kid.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

At least he didn't walk anyone.

and JL kudos to you on solving that one I really didn't even know where to begin.
    Baseball is life;

At least he didn't walk anyone.

and JL kudos to you on solving that one I really didn't even know where to begin.
    Wins=5, ERA<=1. Nick Maddox, 1907; Buck O'Brien, 1911; and Dennys Reyes, 2006.
    - Barry Manilow

You may have heard a variation of my name quite a lot recently.

Iíll just say, good thing my career ended before that variation came into the zeitgeist, and before the Chris Berman/ESPN-ization of nicknames (and Lord knows if I played for the Yankees at any point since the very late 1980s what homer call I would be tagged with by Sterling)!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. Rogers View Post

Iíll just say, good thing my career ended before that variation came into the zeitgeist, and before the Chris Berman/ESPN-ization of nicknames (and Lord knows if I played for the Yankees at any point since the very late 1980s what homer call I would be tagged with by Sterling)!
    You are someone with very vague clues.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. Rogers View Post

"Pebbly Jack" Glasscock?
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

I was looking for a player with the nickname 'Stormy Daniels' but the closest I found was Storm Davis and that's didn't really fit.
    Baseball is life;

I was looking for a player with the nickname 'Stormy Daniels' but the closest I found was Storm Davis and that's didn't really fit.
    Storm was part of the Great Davis invasion of the 1980s. Everywhere you looked, there was another guy named Davis. Ron, Mark, Mike, Jody, Chili, Storm, Eric, Glenn, Alvin, and a few other minor Davises. (Fun fact: Storm's parents took Glenn under their wing, and the two were basically raised as brothers, though they are not related.)
    - Barry Manilow

"Pebbly Jack" Glasscock?
    Uhhhh...no...

Think popular culture you must!

Search your feelings...

Thread Information