+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 165 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Re: Mixed Martial Arts - UFC, PRIDE FC, etc.

By the way -- and I know it's only been one fight -- but these guys on this The Ultimate Fighter look far more well-rounded and athletic than the guys on the first season.

Send Lawyers Guns and Money

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic
    Good point. I did not like Melvin prior to the fight -- he seemed cocky as hell -- but you could tell he was genuinely humbled after losing.
    I didn't like him either, which is exactly why I didn't want him to get eliminated. Usually the least likeable guys are the most entertaining. And it was funny as hell watching him piss everybody off in the house telling them all how great he was.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somejerk
    I didn't like him either, which is exactly why I didn't want him to get eliminated. Usually the least likeable guys are the most entertaining. And it was funny as hell watching him piss everybody off in the house telling them all how great he was.
    And he wanted to challenge Matt Hughes to a fight? Matt Hughes is a great all-around fighter and he can snap on the rear-naked choke on Melvin. Melvin gave Josh his back too many times.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

The Ultimate Fighter 2 - Week 3 Recap via SpikeTV.com

No Pain, No Gain

As the fighters recap the Josh vs. Melvin fight, it is clear that Dana was right in his predictions that neither fighter would come out of this unscathed. Melvin broke his hand on Josh’s elbow and Josh hurt his arm blocking one of Melvin’s kicks. Josh is sent to the hospital to have it checked out.

Team Hughes comes home to find the kitchen a disgusting mess. It seems that Team Franklin is having trouble cleaning up and Team Hughes is tired of picking up the slack.

In the evening, Josh comes home with an announcement. His arm is broken. His fate in this competition, however, is still up in the air. Some of the fighters are hoping Josh will be allowed to stay.

The fighters gather in the UFC Training Center where Dana makes the official announcement that Josh is eliminated.

Coach Hughes must now contend with Rob, one of his heavyweights, who cannot seem to stop talking about his injured shoulder. Rob has complained about his sore shoulder to just about everyone -- and everyone is sick and tired of hearing about it.

This week, the heavyweights are up for elimination and compete in the Xtreme Right Guard Challenge. The fighters must tread water while working together to hold their team flag above the water. Rashad struggles right from the start and it’s not long before he drops his end of the flag in the water costing Team Franklin the challenge. Team Hughes is in the driver’s seat once again.

Team Hughes goes back to the gym where they decide that Rob will fight. Back at the Ultimate Fighter house, Dana announces the fight. Team Hughes has chosen Rob to fight Brad. Both fighters are both banged up – Brad has an existing knee injury to compliment Rob’s injured shoulder.

Since Josh’s departure was only due to injury, Dana decides to bring in a new welterweight. Jason Von Flue comes to the house and it is evident upon his introduction that he just might be replacing Luke as the weirdest guy in the house. Jorge takes an immediate disliking to Jason and wants him gone, pronto!

It’s off to the gym for the fighters. Coming in late to the game doesn’t mean Jason will be given a break and Matt Hughes puts him through the rigors of “hell day.” Matt sets out to break down Jason – and down he goes.

Fight day. Rob’s fears of making his shoulder injury worse during today’s fight are becoming stronger but he is committed to the fight now. There is no going back. Brad is looking to set a precedent with the other heavyweights and show that he is a force to be reckoned with. As both fighters enter the ring, the atmosphere is charged and ready to blow.

Dana introduces the fighters and the fight is on. Rob wastes no time and takes Brad down. Brad struggles to get off his back and defends Rob’s attacks from this position. Brad struggles to establish a chokehold but fails miserably. As he tries to get back to a standing position, Rob gets him in a guillotine choke. Brad frees himself only to have Rob come at him again. With his injured arm, Rob gets Brad in a chokehold and tries to crank it down, but he can’t maintain the pressure. It’s obvious when Brad frees himself that Rob’s bicep has torn and rolled down into his arm. The tables quickly turn and Brad catches Rob in a triangle choke and Rob taps out. Team Franklin finally has their first victory.

Rob has redeemed himself and has proven that he has the heart of a fighter. When that cage door closed, the shoulder was forgotten. But Matt still doesn’t think his heart was in the fight. He thinks the triangle choke came on slow and that Rob should have been able to thwart Brad’s winning move. Rob is disappointed that he lost. Matt, however, feels he’s in a “no lose” situation with Rob going out of the picture. Still appreciative of all his help, Rob thanks Matt for his support, and walks out with his head held high.

Rob’s last parting words, “My arms hurting worse, boys.”

The Ultimate Fighter 2 - Week 3 - Broadway's Post-Mortem

Rob MacDonald and Brad Imes fought in the Octagon this week and I gotta tell you, I gotta give respect to Rob. He fought with a torn labrum and Brad fought with a banged-up knee. Rob had some skills, but it's not easy winning a fight with one healthy arm. Just ask Forrest Griffin. If Rob was healthy, he could've won the fight, IMHO.

Brad didn't have a good lock on the triangle. I think it was more a fact of the pressure on the shoulder than the actual submission itself. I think team Hughes should have let him rest his shoulder a little more (strategically speaking)I thought both fighters looked a little sloppy. Maybe due to the injuries.

Rob was kinda smart in a way. What's better? Be a bitch like the rest and quit with no chance of a future with UFC? Or volunteer for a fight when you know you are too injured to win and tap to the weakest triangle in history after schooling the guy for the whole first round. That way you get to save face, go home, get your shoulder fixed for free and have a chance at a future UFC showing. Yeah, he manipulated the system a bit but he is thought of in higher regard than those bitches that quit during the first episode at least. Nice strategy in a no win scenario I thought.

Rob moaned and complained about it which got annoying and injuries do happen, but please take it like a true trooper instead of whining about it. If you've never injured your shoulder like that, it's pretty much the same as a meniscal tear in your knee. He'll probably be out for at least 6 weeks post op and even after that, it's around 3-4 months before it's all going to be fixed up. That shot of the labrum on top of his bicep. argh. He put it all on a guillotine on his bad shoulder not good.

Josh Burkman left the compeition due to a arm injury. UFC President Dana White was right that both Josh and Melvin Guillard left the octagon with injuries. Josh injured his arm while blocking one of Melvin's kicks. That smarts. Dana brought in Jason Von Flue as an alternate to replace Josh and already, tensions around the fighter house create a huge boil. Jorge Gurgel immediatedly hated Jason and wants him outta here. Jason had a rough day as he got thrased by Matt Hughes. I mean, coming in late in the competition doesn't give you a free ride. Welcome to show, Jason. You just got owned by Matt Hughes.

The next episode looks great. Seems that Hughes starts some ................ with Jorge Gurgel? I hope Jorge kicks some ass in the next episode. Jorge has been acting like a know it all coach from the first episode... if matt starts ................ with him, Jorge has it coming. If Jorge and Matt Hughes fight, Matt Hughes will cream Jorge. Memo to Jorge: Please be careful what you wish for.

NYYF Cy Young

Good episode. Some comments, questions, etc..:

Why even tell the other team you are hurt? That just gives them an excuse to pick you and exploit your weakness like Brad did to Rob. Just let the doctor know and your coach. You can ice the shoulder or whatever but don't go on and on about it if you have to fight for a 6 figure contract. You never know how things might turn out.

I do give him credit though for giving it a try; I think if healthy he would have won the fight. . . Nasty looking injury; I hope he can recover and get back into fighting. He might have a shot at making it to the UFC on his own.

Matt Hughes cracks me up. He is one bad a-- fighter. His attitude is just great; he does not want to hear excuses. Did you see his face after the fight? Rob was thanking him; but you could tell he was pissed Rob lost. He really didn't want to hear whatever Rob was saying. Matt thinks every fighter on his team should be as good as him; which is cool. It makes him the hard a-- coach; the guy that expects the best from his fighters.

The new guy Jason is out of Chuck Liddell's camp? Matt Hughes gave him the same workout and he could not take it. Don't talk trash; because Matt Hughes made him nearly pass out. Looks like Jason will be the new guy starting trouble in the house...

Did Brad get 5K for making Rob tap? I thought it was only for knockouts?

Finally, next week looks interesting. I don't think Jorge wants anything to do with Matt Hughes. If they did fight Hughes would slam him to the mat or work over his bad knee and make him tap in the first round! .. But how cool would that be, the contestant pisses off a coach so much they meet in the Cage for a match!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleG23

Why even tell the other team you are hurt? That just gives them an excuse to pick you and exploit your weakness like Brad did to Rob. Just let the doctor know and your coach. You can ice the shoulder or whatever but don't go on and on about it if you have to fight for a 6 figure contract. You never know how things might turn out.

I do give him credit though for giving it a try; I think if healthy he would have won the fight. . . Nasty looking injury; I hope he can recover and get back into fighting. He might have a shot at making it to the UFC on his own.

Matt Hughes cracks me up. He is one bad a-- fighter. His attitude is just great; he does not want to hear excuses. Did you see his face after the fight? Rob was thanking him; but you could tell he was pissed Rob lost. He really didn't want to hear whatever Rob was saying. Matt thinks every fighter on his team should be as good as him; which is cool. It makes him the hard a-- coach; the guy that expects the best from his fighters.

The new guy Jason is out of Chuck Liddell's camp? Matt Hughes gave him the same workout and he could not take it. Don't talk trash; because Matt Hughes made him nearly pass out. Looks like Jason will be the new guy starting trouble in the house...

Finally, next week looks interesting. I don't think Jorge wants anything to do with Matt Hughes. If they did fight Hughes would slam him to the mat or work over his bad knee and make him tap in the first round! .. But how cool would that be, the contestant pisses off a coach so much they meet in the Cage for a match!
    I agree on Rob telling the injury to the other team. Brad didn't tell his injury to the other team. Brad will get his 5K.

Matt Hughes does crack me up. I can tell he wasn't happy.

The New Welterweight

Jason von Flue (stats from Sherdog.com) 9-4-1 MMA Record

Win Nick Davanzo Submission (Choke) KOTC-Soboba 3/20/2005
    Draw Mac Danzig Draw GC 25-Gladiator Challenge 25 4/20/2004
    Win Chris Irvine Submission (Choke) WEC 8-Halloween Fury 2 10/17/2003
    Win Nick Gilardi TKO (Arm Triangle Choke) WEC 7-This Time It's Personal 8/9/2003
    Loss Bob Ostovich Submission (Heel Hook) Warriors Quest 2-Battle of Champions 8/1/2001
    Loss Jim Walker KO IFC WC 12-Warriors Challenge 12 4/11/2001
    Loss Ronald Jhun TKO IFC WC 10-Warriors Challenge 10 10/11/2000
    Win Eric Meaders Submission (Ankle Lock) CFF-The Cobra Classic 2000 8/26/2000
    Win Chris Ellerton Submission (Rear Naked Choke) IFC WC 8-Warriors Challenge 8 6/14/2000
    Win Mike Voltz Submission (Strikes) CFF-Cobra Open 3/11/2000
    Loss Toby Imada Submission (Armbar) IFC WC 4-Warriors Challenge 4 8/7/1999
    Win Dave Marinoble Submission IFC WC 3-Warriors Challenge 3 6/29/1999
    Win David Velasquez Submission (Choke) IFC WC 3-Warriors Challenge 3 6/29/1999
    Win Danny Gryder Submission IFC WC 3-Warriors Challenge 3 6/29/1999

He's from San Luis Obispo, California, Chuck Liddell's hometown. Jason didn't survive the workout and passed out and threw up. If Jason and Jorge Gurgel fought, I think Jorge will win it.

Was I the only one annoyed as hell over Rob whining about his injury? Sucks that it happened, but good Lord, he mentioned it about 46 times. Yeah, we get it. You are not 100% healthy.

One random observation - Matt Hughes must cut quite a bit of weight to fight at 170 pounds, because he looks really jacked in these episodes. He probably weighs about 190.

One random observation - Matt Hughes must cut quite a bit of weight to fight at 170 pounds, because he looks really jacked in these episodes. He probably weighs about 190.
    Matt Hughes is a weightlifting freak. He's the strongest 170 lb. fighter in MMA history.

The Ultimate Fighter 2 - Week 4 Recap via SpikeTV.com

Strategy
    The fighters re-cap the Rob vs. Brad fight. They give Rob credit for putting so much energy into his fight despite having a badly hurt right shoulder. The teams head home where Brad celebrates his first victory in the Octagon with a beer. Joe is ready to party and gets pretty rowdy despite a lack of drinking buddies.

Jorge advises his fellow Team Franklin welterweights, Anthony and Marcus, to keep their fight strategy secret from even the heavyweights on their own team. He tells Marcus and Anthony that the three of them are almost like a separate team and need to watch each other’s backs.

Jorge doesn’t waste much time in violating the code of secrecy he made earlier with Anthony and Marcus. He quietly reveals his team’s fight selection strategy to Joe in exchange for information about which welterweight Team Hughes is planning to pick next. After the conversation, Jorge immediately finds Marcus and lets him in on the secret but tells him they can’t tell Anthony. With that decision, Marcus and Jorge have forged a two-man alliance that they hope will get them to the finals. They have worked out an arrangement where Team Franklin welterweights will pick fights by seniority. Marcus, being the oldest of the three, will fight Joe if they win the next challenge.

Randy Couture welcomes the fighters to the “Hangman Challenge”. Three welterweights from each team climb onto an octagonal monkey-bar structure and fight their way to the center. The fighters use their legs to knock their opponents off the bars. Jorge succeeds in outlasting everyone else winning the challenge for Team Franklin.

Team Franklin meet at the gym to make their fight selection. Dana White warns them not to go after the strongest fighters so early.

The teams gather at the house where Dana announces that Team Franklin has chosen Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis to fight Joe “Daddy” Stevenson. Joe is stunned that they picked him. Matt Hughes is confident that Joe’s grappling skills will be too much for Marcus. As the meeting breaks up Matt tells Jorge that he knew he wouldn’t be fighting. Matt says there’s a difference between saying you want to fight and wanting to fight. Jorge is pissed off that Matt is questioning his character as a fighter and says he’s going to hurt one of his guys next time.

Marcus trains with boxing coach Peter Welsh and reveals that he has been keeping some of his skills secret so far in the competition. He says everyone thinks he’s just a boxer but he actually has a very solid ground game. He has also been pretending to be a right-handed fighter and plans to catch Joe off guard with his brutal southpaw. Marcus believes that winning this fight is critical for his career. If he doesn’t beat Joe he’s planning on hanging up his gloves.

The welterweight elimination fight is on. Marcus makes some tentative jabs but doesn’t land anything. Joe starts pressuring Marcus then grabs a leg and carries him across the cage where he body slams him, Matt Hughes-style. Joe gets side control over Marcus and attacks him with brutal elbow strikes. With less than a minute to go in round one, Marcus taps out and Joe is declared the winner. Holding back tears, Marcus says goodbye to his teammates. He leaves the UFC Training Center aware that his fighting days may finally be over.

Wow. The guy from Team Franklin got absolutely destroyed. Guy from Team Hughes was really tough. Loved that big slam he pulled off. And those vicious elbows to the face... yeesh... that had to hurt.

The Ultimate Fighter 2 - Week 4 - Broadway's Post-Mortem

What a bad case of strategy by "The Irish Hand Grenade" Marcus Davis and Team Rich Franklin. Why in the world will Marcus pick Joe Stevenson over a weak opponent? Marcus may have the size and reach advantage (3 inches taller at 5'10" over 5'7"), but Joe had the weight advantage (170 lbs. over 167). The only way Marcus wins is by stand-up. Marcus was being patient and waiting for his punch, but doesn't land anything. Marcus's weakness is on the ground. Joe knows that and picks Marcus and slams him to the cage, similar to Matt Hughes's power takedown slams. From that point on, Marcus tried some guillotine and arm-triangle chokes, but he wasn't comfortable on the ground. Joe had control on the ground and landed vicius elbows on Marcus's head and it went all downhill for Marcus. Joe defeats Marcus via TKO (Elbow Strikes).

The main idea of the show is to eliminate the weaker fighters first. Picking a tough guy against another tough guy early is not a good idea. You saw what happened in the brutal first welterweight fight between Melvin Guillard and Josh Burkman as both men went to the hospital and out of the contest (Melvin had a broken hand and was eliminated and Josh pulled out with a broken arm defending one of Melvin's kicks). If I was Rich Franklin, I would've jumped in there and make the decision with the team and talked it out. Marcus should've went with Jason von Flue to fight instead of Joe because Jason was rusty and missed two weeks of the competition. That could've been a better matchup for Marcus instead of Joe.

Speaking of going into messing people's minds, Matt Hughes likes to break fighters down mentally. Matt and Jorge Gurgel are at fighting words with each other.

Next week the Heavyweights are in the Octagon for elimination. We've yet to see "Big" John McCarthy in the octagon.

Wow. The guy from Team Franklin got absolutely destroyed. Guy from Team Hughes was really tough. Loved that big slam he pulled off. And those vicious elbows to the face... yeesh... that had to hurt.
    Those elbow strikes remind me of Gary Goodridge delivering a flurry of elbows on Paul Herrera back in UFC 8. Those were heavy elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55
    Those elbow strikes remind me of Gary Goodridge delivering a flurry of elbows on Paul Herrera back in UFC 8. Those were heavy elbows.

Yup, those were brutal.

Don't you enjoy watching the guys on Team Hughes fight? I love the slamming takedowns. This was one aspect that was missing on the show last year -- they did not have many, if any, fighters who could execute slamming takedowns.

Yup, those were brutal.

Don't you enjoy watching the guys on Team Hughes fight? I love the slamming takedowns. This was one aspect that was missing on the show last year -- they did not have many, if any, fighters who could execute slamming takedowns.
    I really enjoy watching the guys from Team Hughes fight. Very good takedown attacking and defending practices. I yelled a "holy sh*t" after Joe took Marcus up and slammed him to the ground, similar to Hughes's takedown on Frank Trigg in UFC 52.

As a reminder for die-hard MMA Fans:

PRIDE Fighting Championships present Bushido The Tournament

Fight Card

Welterweight Tournament Bouts

"The New York Bad Ass" Phil Baroni ( USA )
    vs.
    Ikuhisa “The Punk” Minowa ( Japan )

Masanori Suda ( Japan )
    vs.
    Murilo Bustamante ( Brazil )

Ryo Chonan ( Japan )
    vs.
    Dan Henderson ( USA )

Akihiro Gono ( Japan )
    vs.
    Daniel Acacio ( Brazil )

Reserve Bout

Ryuta Sakurai ( Japan )
    vs.
    Paulo Filho ( Brazil )

Lightweight Tournament Bouts

Takanori Gomi ( Japan )
    vs.
    Tatsuya Kawajiri ( Japan )

Naoyuki Kotani ( Japan )
    vs.
    Luis Azeredo ( Brazil )

Hayato “Mach” Sakurai ( Japan )
    vs.
    Jens Pulver ( USA )

Yves Edwards ( USA )
    vs.
    Joachim Hansen ( Norway )

Reserve Bout

Dokonjonosuke Mishima ( Japan )
    vs.
    Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett ( USA )

BUSHIDO THE TOURNAMENT will take place from the Ariake Coliseum in Japan and is scheduled to debut on North American pay per view via DIRECTV, DISH NETWORK, UrbanXtra, TVN1, VU!, and Viewer’s Choice Canada and Bell Express Vu!.

PPV Premiere Date: Sunday, September 25th, 2005
    Premiere Time: 9:00 pm EST , 6:00 pm PST

BUSHIDO THE TOURNAMENT will be available at a reduced rate of $24.95

Are you a MMA Fan who wants to re-live Season 1 of the Ultimate Fighter?

Well, you got it.

A 5-Disc DVD set of Season 1 of the Ultimate Fighter will be available on November 1st.

I really enjoy watching the guys from Team Hughes fight. Very good takedown attacking and defending practices. I yelled a "holy sh*t" after Joe took Marcus up and slammed him to the ground, similar to Hughes's takedown on Frank Trigg in UFC 52.

It's amazing to me how Matt Hughes himself, and the guys on his team, can pick up their opponents like a small child and slam the living crap out of them.

NYYF Cy Young

Good one-sided fight. That kid is going to be hard to beat, this season's Diego Sanchez?

The powerslam was great, Matt Hughes has taught him well.

Good one-sided fight. That kid is going to be hard to beat, this season's Diego Sanchez?

A lot of people say he is not that good standing up, though. We shall see if that's true, and if it is, if it comes back to haunt him.

One thing I don't get is why some of these fighters fight so conservative. I know it's easy for us to say, considering we are not the ones in the octagon, but that guy last night from Team Franklin should have just let his hands fly and go for the knockout. Instead, he was so terrified of being taken down that he did nothing.

You may have one chance in your entire life at this shot to be in the UFC. IMO, you can't fight so scared.

I say Joe could be this years Diego. He may be short in height, but he has the weight and strength capabilities.

A lot of people say he is not that good standing up, though. We shall see if that's true, and if it is, if it comes back to haunt him.

One thing I don't get is why some of these fighters fight so conservative. I know it's easy for us to say, considering we are not the ones in the octagon, but that guy last night from Team Franklin should have just let his hands fly and go for the knockout. Instead, he was so terrified of being taken down that he did nothing.

You may have one chance in your entire life at this shot to be in the UFC. IMO, you can't fight so scared.
    I agree, Marcus could've just throw one punch and then thrust forward, but didn't. Joe saw an opening, went down, hooked the leg, and body slams Marcus up against the cage. It was all downhill for Marcus since that slam.

The Ultimate Fighter 2 - Week 5 - Recap via SpikeTV.com

Leave It In The Octagon
    As the fighters recap the Joe vs. Marcus fight, one thing is clear; Marcus made a big mistake choosing to fight Joe. Joe is great at takedowns and Marcus never stood a chance. Coach Hughes thinks it was a bad coaching mistake made by Coach Franklin.

Matt continues to taunt Jorge by telling him that it’s obvious the only way he will fight is if Matt calls him out and forces him to fight. All the mental games are starting to get under Jorge’s skin.

Team Hughes head to the YMCA for training. Matt reveals he is concerned about the status of his heavyweights. They are all injured. Mike has a cut on his head and Dan and Tom are both nursing knee injuries. Being from Team Miletich, Matt thinks injuries are part of the sport and that fighters should suck it up and get through it.

The heavyweights compete in another Xtreme Right Guard Challenge: Rock ‘em Sock ‘em. The objective is to remove the other team’s socks. Team Hughes wins six socks to zero and the fighter selection is once again in Matt’s hands.

Dana announces that the fight will be between Tom and Rashad. Matt thinks Rashad is vulnerable because he has a cut over his eye and Matt questions his heart. Rich thinks Matt is definitely underestimating Rashad. Dana agrees with Matt and thinks Tom can take Rashad out.

Team Franklin adopts an unusual training practice, showing up at the gym in their “tighty whiteys.” When Rich sees his fighters standing at attention in their underwear he is disappointed that he didn’t get the tighty whitey memo.

Rich thinks Rashad is the sleeper in his heavyweight class. Rashad isn’t too concerned that he’s the smaller heavyweight but he knows he has to bring his ‘A’ game into the octagon.

Back at the house, Rashad cuts Tom’s hair. Tom confides in Rashad that he has some serious concerns about risking any more damage to his knee. He has a job and family to go back to when the competition is over.

It is the night before the fight and the guys are bored, so they decide to play a game of hide and seek. Sammy explains it was either that or setting something on fire.

Tom and Rashad both opt to stay out of all the mischief and decide to hang out together in the bedroom instead. They enjoy a little pre-fight night chatter.

It’s fight day. Both Tom and Rashad are confident they have what it takes to win this battle. Both fighters enter the octagon ready to seal each other’s fate.

Round one begins and almost a full minute goes by before Tom and Rashad make any contact. Tom seems to be doing just enough to defend himself against Rashad’s attacks and he is not making any aggressive moves himself.

Round 2 looks promising as Tom catches Rashad in a choke. But Rashad slowly works his way out of the hold. Rashad throws his knees again and Tom doesn’t do much to counter them. Then Tom makes some half-hearted attempts to punch Rashad.

In Round 3, Rashad gets Tom on his back but he can’t maintain the dominant position. Rashad attempts another attack but Tom manages to fend it off. Tom and Rashad spend a lot of time clenched together against the fence. Tom manages to elbow Rashad but doesn’t follow with any more attacks.

As the fight ends, Dana feels that Tom did nothing the entire fight. Dana thinks this is the worst fight he has ever seen in his whole life.

It’s no surprise when Rashad is declared the winner. Dana explains that it’s not about every fight being the most exciting fight, it’s about seeing two guys out there who really want it. He hopes that Rashad will show more heart in future fights.

Matt is extremely upset that Tom did not give 100% out there. Tom is disappointed with his performance in the fight. He knows this is the worst performance he’s ever given but feels, nonetheless, that this whole experience was a good learning opportunity.

The Ultimate Fighter 2 - Week 5 - Broadway's Post-Mortem

What a one-sided fight that was between Rashad Evans and Tom Murphy. Rashad completely dominated the fight. Tom had chances to capitalize on Rashad when he had his hands down, but didn't. I agree with coach Matt Hughes and UFC President Dana White, Tom didn't showed me that he want it more than Rashad. Rashad though likes to showboat, bobbing and weaving. What did Tom do? He just stands there instead of ramming forward.

The heavyweights from Matt's team have a lot of injuries. Matt has a lot of experience battling injuries during training in Pat Miletich's camp. Injuries are part of MMA folks. You need to toughen up.

Rich Franklin's team training philosophy was hilarious, showing up in their undies. Very hilarious.

It seems through 5 weeks, the welterweight fights are just flying IMHO, while the heavyweights are just sizing them up and then charging in. Team Hughes is down two heavyweights and Rich Franklin's squad is down two welterweights.

The mental bad blood between Hughes and Jorge Gurgel had the business end picking up. What will happen next week? Who knows.

NYYF Cy Young

The Ultimate Fighter 2 - Week 5 - Broadway's Post-Mortem

What a one-sided fight that was between Rashad Evans and Tom Murphy. Rashad completely dominated the fight. Tom had chances to capitalize on Rashad when he had his hands down, but didn't. I agree with coach Matt Hughes and UFC President Dana White, Tom didn't showed me that he want it more than Rashad. Rashad though likes to showboat, bobbing and weaving. What did Tom do? He just stands there instead of ramming forward.

It seems through 5 weeks, the welterweight fights are just flying IMHO, while the heavyweights are just sizing them up and then charging in. Team Hughes is down two heavyweights and Rich Franklin's squad is down two welterweights.

The mental bad blood between Hughes and Jorge Gurgel had the business end picking up. What will happen next week? Who knows.
    The Rashad / Tom fight was pretty boring. Rashad landed some solid shots but just really didn't do enough; actually they both didn't do enough IMO. I guess it's good to get rid of the weak fighters early so we can have some good matches in the semi's / finals. . . I know this, if two guys fight like that in the Finals LIVE on Spike TV they are probably going to be booed out of the building.

You can look at Rashad in two ways. Either you like him for his showboating or you hate him for doing it. I really don't mind it; because it adds some entertainment. It's going to get some people pissed like Matt Hughes next week, but the show needs something to pick up the pace. I think the showboating will be a topic in the future and people will want to knock him out because of it. Should be interesting.

Hughes/Jorge feud could be fun. Right now it's pretty one-sided as Matt is just mentally taking down Jorge. . .

I agree with you, up to this point the heavyweights have been a disappointment and the welterweights have been exciting. I can't wait until next week as they hype it up as the most brutal fight yet on the previews.

Thread Information