+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 161 162 163 164
Results 4,076 to 4,099 of 4099
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Re: Mixed Martial Arts - UFC, PRIDE FC, etc.

So far in the UFC in 2016.

'Ruthless' Robbie Lawler successfully defended his UFC Welterweight title after edging out 'The Natural Born Killer' Carlos Condit via split decision in UFC 195.

'The Dominator' Dominick Cruz won his second UFC Bantamweight title after dethroning T.J. Dillashaw via split decision in UFC Ultimate Fight Night 81: Dillashaw vs. Cruz in Boston.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

It's UFC 196 this Saturday from Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena on PPV.

Fresh off shocking 'Rowdy' Ronda Rousey to win the UFC Women's Bantamweight title at UFC 193, 'The Preacher's Daughter' Holly Holm makes her first title defense against former Strikeforce Women's Bantamweight champion 'Takedown/Cupcake' Miesha Tate who Rousey beat twice.

But the main event will see current UFC Featherweight champion 'The Notorious' and Irish MMA legend Conor McGregor trying another feat.

Fresh off knocking out Jose Aldo in 13 seconds at UFC 194 to unify the UFC Featherweight titles, McGregor moves up two weight classes to the UFC Welterweight division and take on Stockton, CA legend, Ultimate Fighter Season 5 Lightweight winner and 12-time UFC bonus winner Nate Diaz.

Two upsets in one night from Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena.

'Takedown' Miesha Tate came from behind by getting Holly Holm to the ground and choked her out with a rear-naked choke in the fifth round to snatch the UFC Women's Bantamweight title.

A possible Tate vs. Ronda Rousey 3 showdown perhaps.

And Nate Diaz made Conor McGregor get a taste of his own medicine when he landed some big shots on the feet with a bloodied eye and sank in his rear-naked choke to derail the Irish MMA legend.

What a wild three days for six-time Mixed Martial Arts Journalist of the Year Ariel Helwani.

First, Helwani was slapped with a lifetime ban from the Ultimate Fighting Championship after reporting the return of Brock Lesnar at UFC 200, hours before UFC announced it on the broadcast of UFC 199, without first notifying the promotion.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...8xBHNlYwNzYw--

And on Monday June 6, Dana White and the UFC brass lift the ban reinstated Helwani back to the promotion.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...02479-mma.html

Meanwhile at UFC 199, Ultimate Fighter Season 3 alum Michael 'The Count' Bisping knocked out Strikeforce's last Middleweight champion and defending UFC Middleweight titleholder Luke Rochhold to win the UFC Middleweight title and Dominick 'The Dominator' Cruz has 'The California Kid' Urijah Faber's number in UFC title fights again with another unanimous decision win to retain the UFC Bantamweight crown.

UFC 200's fight card on this Saturday's PPV has taken a devastating and horrific blow.

The unification UFC Light Heavyweight championship bout between UFC Interim Light Heavyweight titleholder Jon 'Bones' Jones and current UFC Light Heavyweight titleholder Daniel Cormier is in doubt.

The Zuffa brass decided to remove Jones from his title fight with Cormier after his potential doping violation.
    http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/16...n-removed-card

Social reaction: http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/16...-being-ufc-200

Former UFC Middleweight Champion 'The Spider' Anderson Silva will be Daniel Cormier's opponent in a non-title fight;
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/7/...-title-bout-at

The UFC Women's Bantamweight title fight between defending titleholder Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes will be the main event.

Fight Card
    Women's Bantamweight Miesha Tate (c) vs. Amanda Nunes (UFC Women's Bantamweight title bout)
    Heavyweight Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt
    Light Heavyweight Daniel Cormier (c) vs. Anderson Silva (Non-title bout)
    Featherweight José Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar (Interim UFC Featherweight title)
    Heavyweight Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne

Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
    Women's Bantamweight Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Peña
    Welterweight Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum
    Bantamweight T.J. Dillashaw vs. Raphael Assunção
    Lightweight Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marín

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
    Lightweight Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon
    Middleweight Gegard Mousasi vs. Thiago Santos
    Lightweight Jim Miller vs. Takanori Gomi

UFC 200 saw 'The Lioness' Amanda Nunes being Brazil's first ever women's UFC World Champion after taking the UFC Women's Bantamweight title after a dominating first-round rear-naked choke submission win over Miesha Tate.

Brock Lesnar doormats Mark Hunt for his first win in his return to the Octagon.

Daniel Cormier doormats Anderson Silva in a non-title bout.

Jose Aldo Jr. frustrated Frankie 'The Answer' Edgar en route to winning the UFC interim Featherweight title.

And Cain Velasquez rounded out the main card winners' list with a first round TKO triumph over Travis Browne.

I also enjoyed the fans inside Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena chanting 'Stand them up' during the Cormier-Silva fight.

UFC Deal Finalized: Ultimate Fighting Championship sold to WME-IMG for $4 billion
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...hite/86937834/

Brock Lesnar possibly tested positive.

Cannot believe that he's still juggling both UFC and WWE.

When asked about performance-enhancing drugs in the weeks before his comeback fight, Lesnar memorably said: "I'm a white boy and I'm jacked. Deal with it."
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/0...fc-return.html
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Brock Lesnar possibly tested positive.

Cannot believe that he's still juggling both UFC and WWE.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/0...fc-return.html
    Both Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones had their second tests positive.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...ap-story.html; http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/17...tic-commission

Chad Mendes suspended two years for anti-doping violations
    http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/c...olation-072016

A grudge match will be on display inside Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena this Saturday.

Current UFC Featherweight champion Conor McGregor will get his second crack at the UFC Welterweight champion Nate Diaz at UFC 202.

Diaz choked out McGregor in Round 2 at UFC 196.

Conor McGregor made history in the Ultimate Fighting Championship's debut in New York City last November 12.

By knocking out Eddie Alvarez inside Madison Square Garden at UFC 205, McGregor is the first titleholder of two different divisions at the same time in Featherweight and Lightweight.

McGregor is the third UFC fighter to win a title in two different divisions joining Randy Couture and BJ Penn.

Also, Miesha Tate retired from MMA after her decision loss to Raquel Pennington.

Tyron Woodley maintained his UFC Welterweight title via a majority draw and Joanna Jedrzejczyk maintained the UFC women's strawweight title via unanimous decision.

Amanda Nunes destroys Rowdy Ronda Rousey in 48 seconds. This was even more dominant than her loss to Holly Holm.

Rousey's boxing coach, Edmond Taverdyan, is the most criticized one in the sport. He tried to turn a very successful, world class judo/grappler into an overconfident stand up boxer with a stationary head. Horrendous results.

I think Rousey made $3 million, but that gravy train has ended for both her and Dana White. I'm guessing she is going to retire, especially with Cyborg looming as her next superfight. That would be a brutal, one sided beat down.

It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Amanda Nunes destroys Rowdy Ronda Rousey in 48 seconds. This was even more dominant than her loss to Holly Holm.

Rousey's boxing coach, Edmond Taverdyan, is the most criticized one in the sport. He tried to turn a very successful, world class judo/grappler into an overconfident stand up boxer with a stationary head. Horrendous results.

I think Rousey made $3 million, but that gravy train has ended for both her and Dana White. I'm guessing she is going to retire, especially with Cyborg looming as her next superfight. That would be a brutal, one sided beat down.

I would like to see a Amanda Nunes-Cris Cyborg matchup down the road.

Nunes is just an absolute animal.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Once Ronda got hit, she didn't have it. Must be getting hit in the face did something to her emotionally. Once Ronda got hit in the face, she looked completely lost.

Ronda threw about 4 kicks that looked as if a white belt did a failed kick that needed to extend fully.

Amanda came in with a plan: both barrels blazing, feet and head moving rapid-fire, and she went all rock 'em sock' em. She got in, got out. She left no room for Ronda to sneak in, overpower her and lock in that armbar.

Ronda seemed to have no plan. She looked totally stiff, uncoordinated as if she hadn't skipped rope or something.

Perhaps Ronda is well-prepared for her next SI swimsuit cover, but unless she properly trains physically and mentally, I don't see her being more than an athlete who's been properly scouted and couldn't adjust to more capable opponents.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Once Ronda got hit, she didn't have it. Must be getting hit in the face did something to her emotionally. Once Ronda got hit in the face, she looked completely lost.

Ronda threw about 4 kicks that looked as if a white belt did a failed kick that needed to extend fully.

Amanda came in with a plan: both barrels blazing, feet and head moving rapid-fire, and she went all rock 'em sock' em. She got in, got out. She left no room for Ronda to sneak in, overpower her and lock in that armbar.

Ronda seemed to have no plan. She looked totally stiff, uncoordinated as if she hadn't skipped rope or something.

Perhaps Ronda is well-prepared for her next SI swimsuit cover, but unless she properly trains physically and mentally, I don't see her being more than an athlete who's been properly scouted and couldn't adjust to more capable opponents.
    As Mike Tyson once so aptly put it - Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post

Ronda seemed to have no plan.
    See, this is why the boxing coach is being criticized so much. The plan may have been to stand and trade punches with a puncher. Rousey was outclassed in this area by both Nunes and Holm. She was an Olympic Judo expert with the world's best arm bar. And she decided to box on her feet- if that was indeed the plan, it's mind boggling.

Jon Jones tweeted that she probably needs to join a UFC training camp and go back to the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    As Mike Tyson once so aptly put it - Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
    I was thinking just that, but failed to mention it. It looked like former Rowdy Ronda Rousey was fighting off a swarm of bees.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

See, this is why the boxing coach is being criticized so much. The plan may have been to stand and trade punches with a puncher. Rousey was outclassed in this area by both Nunes and Holm. She was an Olympic Judo expert with the world's best arm bar. And she decided to box on her feet- if that was indeed the plan, it's mind boggling.

Jon Jones tweeted that she probably needs to join a UFC training camp and go back to the basics.
    I was expecting more wrestling moves from Ronda, and her non-commital and lame excuses for kicks is like seeing David Ortiz bunt.

It's like Ali-Frazier: boxer vs puncher, see who wins. Clearly, Ronda didn't know which one she was.

Amanda did what a world class slugger does: hit hard, hit fast, hit often, don't stand there and let them hit you back. Amanda moved all over the ring, thus forcing a very flat-footed Ronda to keep turning away, trying to gather her bearings, all while it looks like she's fighting either an octopus or a street gang.

Amanda's ferocious strength made me think that Ronda would have trouble overpowering her and locking in that armbar submission move. Amanda's speed made me think that you can't hit what you can't see.

Amanda seemed much stronger, craftier and much faster in the body, feet and head movement than did Ronda.

While I applaud Ronda for focusing much-needed attention to the UFC's exciting women's division, in order for her to continue competing further in the premier bantamweight division, her game plan and training routine will both need to change dramatically, since her weaknesses have been thoroughly exposed here.

Rousey appears to be a generational fighter, who was responsible for creating excitement in the women's division. She had the looks, personality, and skills- and before her, it was hard to imagine a female UFC fighter headlining a card.

I don't think we'll see her in the ring again, so here is a tribute to the style that Rousey never should have deviated from. True, the skill gap has tightened, but she was a judo/grappler at heart with a devastating arm bar.

NYYF Triple Crown

I was really rooting for Ronda and I really thought she was gonna close the deal. But she's not ready for this opponent. She's obviously physically prepared, I don't doubt her conditioning and she looks fitter than she's ever been and I thought she looked hot.

Mentally, I think she's still suffering from the adverse effects from her last fight. It's only one year and that's still fresh in her mind. You don't get over that kind of loss easily. She should've waited 2 1/2 - 3 years before fighting again and try to really improve her striking and defense from a legit training camp. But maybe that's a long time and she won't make 3 million+ if she waited that long.

If she wants to come back, she needs a different striking coach, a different training camp, etc... but that will be tough since she's loyal and seems firmly entrenched with Tarverdyan.

This made me appreciate GSP even more, a lot of people says he's boring and he just likes to hug and embrace opponents on the mat and win. But how did he get them on the mat in the first place? He's a legit striker too.
    Last edited by Vin; 01-04-17 at 04:47 PM.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I wonder how much of it was pure rage by Nunes for making $200k while Rousey made $3M?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I wonder how much of it was pure rage by Nunes for making $200k while Rousey made $3M?
    I know your post is somewhat tongue in cheek, but Nunes was thrilled with making 1/15th of what Rousey made. It was Nunes' biggest payday by far.

It's similar to when boxers lined up, hoping to get picked by Floyd Mayweather (or Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ali, etc...). They'd get $5 million (with zero PPV revenues), while Floyd would receive $20-30 million. But the $5 million would be their largest payday by far.

Here's Nunes discussing how happy she is with her money.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/Amand...ayday/10158384

Thread Information