+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 80 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The Official America's Team Analysis Thread

As the Dallas Cowboys fanbase within the NYYFans community continues to grow, this can be the place where we talk about them, since, well, I bring them up a lot, and people always reply, whether with coherent discussion or incoherent drunken mockery.

Whether you love them or love to hate them, the reality is that YOU care about the Cowboys, even if it's only like Sox fans care about the Yankees.

So discuss away...
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

Released Outright

Re: The Official America's Team Analysis Thread

I'll be honest, I really don't care about the Cowboys

Other than passively rooting against Parcells.

NYYF Legend

Rivera, Henry, and Ferguson are officially ours. http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_80...FA96CAE002FF7B

$28 million in bonuses for 3 guys (10 for Henry, 9 each for Rivera and Ferguson)... that's a lot of money, especially considering that Rivera and Ferguson are on the wrong side of 30. These moves definitely patch up a lot of the glaring needs we had going into the offseason--I like the way they're going through and systematically making our team better. Despite what he said a few weeks back about looking toward the year after next and the long term as goals for getting back to the top, it's now clear that Jerry is making a push for THIS YEAR.

Next on the checklist, Woody's replacement and a defensive end.

Do you see either of these needs being met in free agency, or will they do it through the draft? Or maybe even through using guys already on the roster (such as letting Lynn Scott try his hand at starting at SS going into the season, like I keep bringing up)?

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euclis

Exactly. I loved seeing the Giants beat him last year.

Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar

Look Natalie, we don't need another analysis thread about the Patriots.

JMHO
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Incidents & Accidents FoulkeLore's Avatar

Sorry my sentiments exactly. I'll be passively rooting for Bledsoe because he was a total class act the way that he handled his departure here. I'm not sure Buffalo fans feel the same way.

Write it down. Dallas is playoff bound.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Look Natalie, we don't need another analysis thread about the Patriots.

JMHO
    That's not even funny.

NYYF Legend

Write it down. Dallas is playoff bound.
    In the spirit of the "analysis" mentioned in the thread title, may I ask why you think that is (I happen to agree with you)?

NYYF Legend

Passive rooting is still rooting.

America's team my ass... Wheres George when I need him...

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
    Rivera, Henry, and Ferguson are officially ours. http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_80...FA96CAE002FF7B

$28 million in bonuses for 3 guys (10 for Henry, 9 each for Rivera and Ferguson)... that's a lot of money, especially considering that Rivera and Ferguson are on the wrong side of 30. These moves definitely patch up a lot of the glaring needs we had going into the offseason--I like the way they're going through and systematically making our team better. Despite what he said a few weeks back about looking toward the year after next and the long term as goals for getting back to the top, it's now clear that Jerry is making a push for THIS YEAR.

Next on the checklist, Woody's replacement and a defensive end.

Do you see either of these needs being met in free agency, or will they do it through the draft? Or maybe even through using guys already on the roster (such as letting Lynn Scott try his hand at starting at SS going into the season, like I keep bringing up)?
    The consensus is these contracts are front loaded so they won't have as big an impact on the cap in a few years. If Rivera and Ferguson give us 3 solid years each they'll be worth it. Henry's deal works out to around $5M a year, and that's honestly not that bad for an above average CB with his size. The franchise tender for a CB is around $8.9 million. Winfield got a contract that paid him around $5M last year, but with the rise in the salary cap, that would
    work out to over $6M.

Jerry has said FS would be addressed in free agency. I don't know who he has in mind, but Dwight Smith and Dexter Jackson's names have come up, along with Kenoy Kennedy and Idrees Bashir. Arturo Freeman and Antuan Edwards are other possibilities.

DE will depend on whether they go to a 3-4 or stick with the 4-3, and that will be dictated by who's available in FA and the draft. Marques Douglas would fit and be available, and Marcus Spears, possibly Merriman in the draft would fit well also. If they go 3-4, they also have to bolster the LB corp. An experienced guy like Edgerton Hartwell is possible at ILB, and OLB could be addressed in the draft. We've got players that would fit for depth on the team.

If they stay with the 4-3, they'll either draft a DE or go with a tweener DE/OLB hybrid player like Tuck, maybe Cody.

One thing that would aid in the transition to a 3-4 is, the DL is already an occupy and engage/play the run type. That's one reason why we don't get as much pressure on the QB, coupled with the fact that we don't have a true pass rushing OLB to attack from the outside.

As far as the how appropriate this thread is, if there can be a thread about a NE team and a west coast team on a NY board, there can be one for the 'Boys in the interest of fairness.

As far as being the Patriots, we've only got a couple of ex-Patriots. We've actually been closer to becoming the Jets. If you get confused, just call us the Cowjetriots.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN
    Part of why I started this was to bait him into coming back, wherever he's been.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK913
    The consensus is these contracts are front loaded so they won't have as big an impact on the cap in a few years. If Rivera and Ferguson give us 3 solid years each they'll be worth it. Henry's deal works out to around $5M a year, and that's honestly not that bad for an above average CB with his size. The franchise tender for a CB is around $8.9 million. Winfield got a contract that paid him around $5M last year, but with the rise in the salary cap, that would
    work out to over $6M.

Jerry has said FS would be addressed in free agency. I don't know who he has in mind, but Dwight Smith and Dexter Jackson's names have come up, along with Kenoy Kennedy and Idrees Bashir. Arturo Freeman and Antuan Edwards are other possibilities.
    You're right, that it does seem like, though we're throwing a lot of money at these guys, it's being done fairly intelligently. I never want to experience the horrors of salary cap hell again, and I'm sure Jerry doesn't either.

Like I said in the FA thread, of all those names, should we indeed go the FA route, I'd like Kennoy Kennedy. I follow the Broncos pretty closely, and I always liked what I saw from him. He also compares well statistically to what Woody gave us.

NYYF Legend

This is misleading, certainly this should be about the Pittsburgh Steelers!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey Nat, I just want to say that I hope Drew has a good year for your team.

I'm not saying which one.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball: Boras's Holdouts
    NYYFans Fantasy Football: Norwood's Wide Rights

Part of why I started this was to bait him into coming back, wherever he's been.
    I believe he was a bad boy and if on vacation for the time being...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

I can't decide if I like what the 'boys have done, or if I don't. (keep in mind I hate them, and would "like" to see it blow up in thier face)

And why are there so many "official" threads, but no "Official Giants thread?" We've got an official Pats, Jets, Cowboys, Raiders, I think I even saw an official Quad Cities Steamwheelers thread kicking around. Why no official Big Blue thread? (this should open the door for a slew of jokes)

And if you're gonna ask why I don't start one...I don't start threads, I just ruin other people's.
    There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

sorry, Nat, but the boys have been irrelevant for years

good luck to Bledsoe, though

In the spirit of the "analysis" mentioned in the thread title, may I ask why you think that is (I happen to agree with you)?
    Why I think Dallas will play in January...
    - easier schedule
    - moving to a 3-4 alignment (getting Jets Ferguson for NT is a big step)
    - improvements in DB
    - great FA pickups (Henry, Fergie, Rivera)
    - depsite what you think of Bledsoe, he's a big improvement over what they had last year
    - TE Mark Whitten is the best TE Bledsoe will throw to since Ben Coates in New England
    - NFC is still a weaker conference
    - most of the malcontents are gone
    - two 1st round picks

What remains to be done...
    - I dislike their WRs though Keyshawn is a good possesion WR
    - They need DE help in their 3-4 (3-4 DEs aren't that hard to find)
    - depth at RB (can Julius Jones endure a full season?)

NYYF Legend

Why I think Dallas will play in January...
    - easier schedule
    - moving to a 3-4 alignment (getting Jets Ferguson for NT is a big step)
    - improvements in DB
    - great FA pickups (Henry, Fergie, Rivera)
    - depsite what you think of Bledsoe, he's a big improvement over what they had last year
    - TE Mark Whitten is the best TE Bledsoe will throw to since Ben Coates in New England
    - NFC is still a weaker conference
    - most of the malcontents are gone
    - two 1st round picks

What remains to be done...
    - I dislike their WRs though Keyshawn is a good possesion WR
    - They need DE help in their 3-4 (3-4 DEs aren't that hard to find)
    - depth at RB (can Julius Jones endure a full season?)
    Thanks, Mark2. Only thing I don't fully agree with is your assessment of the WRs, mainly because I think Glenn, still a speedy guy with terrific hands, should be in the mix of positives IF he can stay healthy. We saw, for all the faults the Woody-less defense had, that the offense was functioning fairly-to-incredibly well UNTIL Terry was injured in Green Bay, despite having dubious production out of the RB position. Other than that, yeah, they need some more help there, but I think that MAYBE (definitely only a maybe, but a possibility nonetheless) can come from some of the young guys they have hanging around.

Also, with respect to schedule, they have to play the AFC West next season, which has quite a few sweet offensive teams. But on the other hand, the NFC West, which they also have to play, remains thoroughly crappy until I see otherwise. It's always difficult to judge a schedule as "easy" or "hard" other than in retrospect, going by final records.

By the way, that's Jason Witten, not Mark Whitten--you're gonna be hearing/seeing/reading his name A LOT for years to come, so may as well get it right.

Anyway, I'm excited that a respected "outsider" such as yourself finally believes in my team. Based on your predictions toward the end of last season though, that may or may not be a good thing.

Anyway, I'm excited that a respected "outsider" such as yourself finally believes in my team. Based on your predictions toward the end of last season though, that may or may not be a good thing.
    In 2004, I was telling you that Dallas will struggle and they did.

NYYF Legend

In 2004, I was telling you that Dallas will struggle and they did.
    Yes, but for reasons fairly different than what actually transpired. I can't say for certain, but I'm telling you, minus all those injuries (ESPECIALLY Woody's... the effects of a loss of a priceless guy like that can't be overstated) and Quincy's drug problem, things might have been a lot different. "JMHO "

Yes, but for reasons fairly different than what actually transpired. I can't say for certain, but I'm telling you, minus all those injuries (ESPECIALLY Woody's... the effects of a loss of a priceless guy like that can't be overstated) and Quincy's drug problem, things might have been a lot different. "JMHO "
    Woody lost for camp, then the season. Position filled by 2nd round bust and role player. We lost an experienced player and veteran leadership.

Carter released early in camp. Casts a shadow over camp, projected backup thrust into starting role. The performance at QB might not have differed much, but it did a number on the team psyche.

Mitchell released in camp. Penciled in as the nickle corner, he lost his game and was cut, leaving late round picks and UFAs as CB depth.

DTs Blade and Stewart released in camp after showing up out of shape and regressing, leading to a minor carousel at the tackle position next to Glover. Ugh. The run defense suffered without a true hole plugger.

Peterman goes down in preseason. He was expected to push for a job at guard, at the very least provide solid depth.

Jones goes down early, Eddie George is the main RB. Subtract running game. Jones would have had it rough early, but there was still more potential there.

Hunter goes down early. Started a rotation of 4 players at RCB before settling on an UFA off the Ravens PS.

Glenn goes down. Our primary big play/deep threat receiver. Remove the deep threat, you start seeing the line stacked more.

Campbell goes down. Primary and best blocking tight end gone. Affected our running game and pass protection.

Bryant traded. He had talent but was a malcontent who couldn't control himself. Addition by subtraction, but it hurt to bring a WR into the system midseason. Further damaged the passing game. Late round picks pushed into service.

Despite all that, we managed to play better the second half until we hit NO. That was an ugly game. That was worse to me than the blowout against GB, because we had won two straight, including a tough win at Seattle, then we were completely flat against the Saints.

Even before the season I didn't figure us as legitimate contenders, but if even half of those things hadn't gone down we would have been a markedly different team last year. Between the shuffling in the secondary and the blows to our offense we were probably lucky to get out of the year with 6 wins.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN
    Right here, Brother!

Man, I think that some of Troy's Concussions & Brain Damage somehow transferred to Natasha.

Let's get it right, DodgerGirl: It's SOUTH America's Team. The Tainted Star lost any perceived Glory a long, long, long time ago!

As always, I absolutely salute your Loyalty. Your lack of Taste, however leaves much to be desired.

ONE of these days, you will hopefully outgrow your youthful stupidity and classlessness. I will be awaiting that day, at Lambeau, to greet you and welcome you.
    America's Team??? The Cowboys??? Good Lord!!! You just CAN'T be THAT Stupid!!!! Hell, the next thing you know, you'll be tap dancing in Princeton, New Jersey!!!!!!

Brett is Great. Brett is Good. You should thank Brett for your Food!

TWELVE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

Thread Information