+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

The Official America's Team Analysis Thread

As the Dallas Cowboys fanbase within the NYYFans community continues to grow, this can be the place where we talk about them, since, well, I bring them up a lot, and people always reply, whether with coherent discussion or incoherent drunken mockery.

Whether you love them or love to hate them, the reality is that YOU care about the Cowboys, even if it's only like Sox fans care about the Yankees.

So discuss away...
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

Released Outright

Re: The Official America's Team Analysis Thread

I'll be honest, I really don't care about the Cowboys

Other than passively rooting against Parcells.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euclis

Exactly. I loved seeing the Giants beat him last year.

Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar

Look Natalie, we don't need another analysis thread about the Patriots.

JMHO
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Look Natalie, we don't need another analysis thread about the Patriots.

JMHO
    That's not even funny.

Incidents & Accidents FoulkeLore's Avatar

Sorry my sentiments exactly. I'll be passively rooting for Bledsoe because he was a total class act the way that he handled his departure here. I'm not sure Buffalo fans feel the same way.

Write it down. Dallas is playoff bound.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

In the spirit of the "analysis" mentioned in the thread title, may I ask why you think that is (I happen to agree with you)?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
    In the spirit of the "analysis" mentioned in the thread title, may I ask why you think that is (I happen to agree with you)?
    Why I think Dallas will play in January...
    - easier schedule
    - moving to a 3-4 alignment (getting Jets Ferguson for NT is a big step)
    - improvements in DB
    - great FA pickups (Henry, Fergie, Rivera)
    - depsite what you think of Bledsoe, he's a big improvement over what they had last year
    - TE Mark Whitten is the best TE Bledsoe will throw to since Ben Coates in New England
    - NFC is still a weaker conference
    - most of the malcontents are gone
    - two 1st round picks

What remains to be done...
    - I dislike their WRs though Keyshawn is a good possesion WR
    - They need DE help in their 3-4 (3-4 DEs aren't that hard to find)
    - depth at RB (can Julius Jones endure a full season?)

NYYF Legend

Got my pen ready?

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer
    Got my pen ready?
    Yeah, like I was way off.

NYYF Legend

Passive rooting is still rooting.

America's team my ass... Wheres George when I need him...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN
    Part of why I started this was to bait him into coming back, wherever he's been.

Hey Nat, I just want to say that I hope Drew has a good year for your team.

I'm not saying which one.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball: Boras's Holdouts
    NYYFans Fantasy Football: Norwood's Wide Rights

Part of why I started this was to bait him into coming back, wherever he's been.
    I believe he was a bad boy and if on vacation for the time being...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN
    Right here, Brother!

Man, I think that some of Troy's Concussions & Brain Damage somehow transferred to Natasha.

Let's get it right, DodgerGirl: It's SOUTH America's Team. The Tainted Star lost any perceived Glory a long, long, long time ago!

As always, I absolutely salute your Loyalty. Your lack of Taste, however leaves much to be desired.

ONE of these days, you will hopefully outgrow your youthful stupidity and classlessness. I will be awaiting that day, at Lambeau, to greet you and welcome you.
    America's Team??? The Cowboys??? Good Lord!!! You just CAN'T be THAT Stupid!!!! Hell, the next thing you know, you'll be tap dancing in Princeton, New Jersey!!!!!!

Brett is Great. Brett is Good. You should thank Brett for your Food!

TWELVE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

NYYF Legend

BTW, YESTERDAY I got Brett's book via FedEx. It is signed my Brett and Brett's Mom. Included was the NFL DVD of Brett "In Their Own Words" or whatever it's called.

In the beginning of the DVD, Brett makes me ill by stating that, as a child, he was a fan of the Saints and the Cowboys. He says that he used to imagine himself being Archie Manning or Roger Staubach......
    Natasha, I will get this DVD burned and I'll send it to you. I challenge you to watch this DVD and continue to have your insane, Princeton Tap Dancing 850 SAT scoring Favre-Hating Ass, uh, continuing to hate Favre.
    BTW, the Book even came with actual pictures of Brett & Mrs. Favre signing MY book.

Brett is Awesome. He's just a genuinely Good Guy. And, you'll be happy when he leaves 'cause we're probably gonna go into the Dark Ages just like where South America's Most Wanted Team has been for the past decade or so.

ONE thing I'll always Cherish is standing in the very next urinal, urinating at the same time as Irv Favre while he told me just how much of an Asshole Warren Sapp is! AND, then sitting next to him at the bar and having him pass me a HUGE mason jar filled with Moonshine. (I already talked about that night here.)

Go Pack Go!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by #1PaFan
    America's Team??? The Cowboys??? Good Lord!!!
    Eh. We didn't ask for it, it was basically dropped on us in the '70s. I think it's overblown, just as so many other little monikers or slogans in football are. They just seem to stick around and be affiliated with some teams, no matter how successful they are or aren't. Personally, I'm just not a big nickname or slogan guy. Even when we were winning titles in the early 90's, I wasn't going around saying, "Yes! We ARE America's Team!" I'm a diehard fan, I'm just not a zealot that feels the need to glorify the old days to make myself feel better when we're down.

The Dallas Cowboys: America's Team
    Overdone, but invariably associated with them for decades, win or lose. 9 years since their last title.

The Oakland Raiders: Commitment To Excellence.
    Even though it's been over 20 years since they won a title and they now fluctuate between good and bad, it sticks.

The Bears:The Monsters of the Midway.
    Under .500 in the playoffs since their last title 20 years ago.

Green Bay: Titletown.
    Maybe once, but with 1 title in last 35 years and extended mediocrity throughout the 70's and 80's, it's not necessarily up to date. Last title 8 years ago.

The Browns: The Dawg Pound.
    They're Dawgs, all right. No titles in the last 40 years, and the original Dawg Pound was cute but never saw a championship. Great for the local dog mask industry, though.

The Redskins: The Hogs(Hawgs).
    With Danny Snyder in charge, the only things that make the players hogs is how much they make when he signs them in free agency. Last title 14 years ago when Hogs really meant something, but you still see people wearing dresses with fake pig noses.(Tradition or cult? )

The Giants: The Big Blue Wrecking Crew. The only recent wrecking going on was the Ravens demolishing them in the SB 5 years ago. Last title 15 years ago. Some of them are big and blue, though. (Mostly from going through training camp with Coughlin. )

New Orleans: The Aints.
    Okay, that one works. With 1 playoff victory and 0 titles in almost 40 years, it's completely appropriate.

The Eagles. No catchy nicknames, but I can't stand them so I had to bring them up. Actually, I can't listen to the song "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" because they played it as the Eagles theme song the other time they went to the SB and choked.

We now return you to your original programming.

NYYF Cy Young

The Cowboy's was my second favorite team until Jerry Jones got rid my Tom L and Tony D and ever since then, I don't like them.

FIY, that is going on 20 years strong
    You have a begining and end, but how you live the middle is important.

My Nana 1919-2003

NYYF Legend

Rivera, Henry, and Ferguson are officially ours. http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_80...FA96CAE002FF7B

$28 million in bonuses for 3 guys (10 for Henry, 9 each for Rivera and Ferguson)... that's a lot of money, especially considering that Rivera and Ferguson are on the wrong side of 30. These moves definitely patch up a lot of the glaring needs we had going into the offseason--I like the way they're going through and systematically making our team better. Despite what he said a few weeks back about looking toward the year after next and the long term as goals for getting back to the top, it's now clear that Jerry is making a push for THIS YEAR.

Next on the checklist, Woody's replacement and a defensive end.

Do you see either of these needs being met in free agency, or will they do it through the draft? Or maybe even through using guys already on the roster (such as letting Lynn Scott try his hand at starting at SS going into the season, like I keep bringing up)?

Rivera, Henry, and Ferguson are officially ours. http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_80...FA96CAE002FF7B

$28 million in bonuses for 3 guys (10 for Henry, 9 each for Rivera and Ferguson)... that's a lot of money, especially considering that Rivera and Ferguson are on the wrong side of 30. These moves definitely patch up a lot of the glaring needs we had going into the offseason--I like the way they're going through and systematically making our team better. Despite what he said a few weeks back about looking toward the year after next and the long term as goals for getting back to the top, it's now clear that Jerry is making a push for THIS YEAR.

Next on the checklist, Woody's replacement and a defensive end.

Do you see either of these needs being met in free agency, or will they do it through the draft? Or maybe even through using guys already on the roster (such as letting Lynn Scott try his hand at starting at SS going into the season, like I keep bringing up)?
    The consensus is these contracts are front loaded so they won't have as big an impact on the cap in a few years. If Rivera and Ferguson give us 3 solid years each they'll be worth it. Henry's deal works out to around $5M a year, and that's honestly not that bad for an above average CB with his size. The franchise tender for a CB is around $8.9 million. Winfield got a contract that paid him around $5M last year, but with the rise in the salary cap, that would
    work out to over $6M.

Jerry has said FS would be addressed in free agency. I don't know who he has in mind, but Dwight Smith and Dexter Jackson's names have come up, along with Kenoy Kennedy and Idrees Bashir. Arturo Freeman and Antuan Edwards are other possibilities.

DE will depend on whether they go to a 3-4 or stick with the 4-3, and that will be dictated by who's available in FA and the draft. Marques Douglas would fit and be available, and Marcus Spears, possibly Merriman in the draft would fit well also. If they go 3-4, they also have to bolster the LB corp. An experienced guy like Edgerton Hartwell is possible at ILB, and OLB could be addressed in the draft. We've got players that would fit for depth on the team.

If they stay with the 4-3, they'll either draft a DE or go with a tweener DE/OLB hybrid player like Tuck, maybe Cody.

One thing that would aid in the transition to a 3-4 is, the DL is already an occupy and engage/play the run type. That's one reason why we don't get as much pressure on the QB, coupled with the fact that we don't have a true pass rushing OLB to attack from the outside.

As far as the how appropriate this thread is, if there can be a thread about a NE team and a west coast team on a NY board, there can be one for the 'Boys in the interest of fairness.

As far as being the Patriots, we've only got a couple of ex-Patriots. We've actually been closer to becoming the Jets. If you get confused, just call us the Cowjetriots.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK913
    The consensus is these contracts are front loaded so they won't have as big an impact on the cap in a few years. If Rivera and Ferguson give us 3 solid years each they'll be worth it. Henry's deal works out to around $5M a year, and that's honestly not that bad for an above average CB with his size. The franchise tender for a CB is around $8.9 million. Winfield got a contract that paid him around $5M last year, but with the rise in the salary cap, that would
    work out to over $6M.

Jerry has said FS would be addressed in free agency. I don't know who he has in mind, but Dwight Smith and Dexter Jackson's names have come up, along with Kenoy Kennedy and Idrees Bashir. Arturo Freeman and Antuan Edwards are other possibilities.
    You're right, that it does seem like, though we're throwing a lot of money at these guys, it's being done fairly intelligently. I never want to experience the horrors of salary cap hell again, and I'm sure Jerry doesn't either.

Like I said in the FA thread, of all those names, should we indeed go the FA route, I'd like Kennoy Kennedy. I follow the Broncos pretty closely, and I always liked what I saw from him. He also compares well statistically to what Woody gave us.

This is misleading, certainly this should be about the Pittsburgh Steelers!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good thoughts here, guys. The FA signings have been good short-term solutions, as JJ & Tuna are going for the quick kill. In the "anything goes" NFC, this may work out in the end. What makes it even better is the $$$ spent on Rivera, Ferguson, Hardy, and Bledsoe is not long-term impact. making it easy to get replacements for them in a few years. And, yes, I LOVE the Bledsoe signing. It wasn't his fault that Buffalo didn't make the playoffs, and he STILL led them back from 0-4. He'll be another great mentor for Henson after getting Vinny last year.

As for the draft, I was originally hoping that Antrel Rolle or Pac-Man Jones would fall to 11, with either Pollack, Spears, or one of the Codys at 20. But, since that's looking less and less likely every day, I'd like to see the OLB/DE Merriman at 11. The last time Tuna had a player like him on the board, his name was John Abraham. At 20, maybe WR??? Oklahoma's Mark Clayton will be available, but since we have enough possession guys, I wouldn't mind Troy Williamson from South Carolina. I also wouldn't mind taking another D-lineman like the guys I mentioned above (IF they're still on the board).

If you smell what The Ox is cookin'.....

Thread Information