+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 79 FirstFirst ... 27 67 74 75 76 77 78 79 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 1967

Re: The Official America's Team Analysis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    But Romo is only now getting healthy. Realistically, what could the Cowboys have gotten in return for an injured QB Who is 36 years old?

I could not disagree any more about trading Bryant. Yes, the Cowboys have shown that they can win without him this year. But when he is on the field, he makes the Cowboys all the more better. Opposing teams have to make stopping him a priority and if the don't, he has the ability to stretch the field and make game deciding plays. Using yesterday as an example, when the Steelers had to play him 1 on 1, as the rolled their coverage to the right side of the field, Bryant goes deep and the Cowboys turn a 3rd and 11, while losing the game, into a go-ahead TD of 50 yards
    I see your point about Bryant and I agree with your points....
    My point with Bryant is, if they unloaded him now, they could get pretty good value for him as well as open more cap room.

As or Romo, what will they get if they cut him? (I'm not sure about compensation in the NFL) I think there are teams in desperate need of a QB around the league. I believe they can get a decent take for him. Mostly because I believe Romo can still be a pretty good QB .

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I see your point about Bryant and I agree with your points....
    My point with Bryant is, if they unloaded him now, they could get pretty good value for him as well as open more cap room.

As or Romo, what will they get if they cut him? (I'm not sure about compensation in the NFL) I think there are teams in desperate need of a QB around the league. I believe they can get a decent take for him. Mostly because I believe Romo can still be a pretty good QB .
    That's a good question.

2JAY, or anyone else,

Do you know what the salary cap hit will be if Romo is cut after this season (probably before a roster bonus is due), compared to what is owed?

Thinking back to the situation of Peyton Manning, no team was going to trade for him. They knew that the Colts had a ~$20 roster bonus to pay him and that Manning would be getting cut before that date. You wait for him to be a FA and sign him to his new fair market value.

Same thing with Romo, depending on how his contract is worded. If he's too expensive to keep around as a backup, then he might have to be cut. And then a team will be able to sign him as a FA with his new market price, which will be lower than what his current contract would pay him.

NYYF Legend

From the different reports that I have seen, Romo's salary is $24.7 million cap hit for next year if he stays with the team. If Dallas were to trade him, they are still on the hook for $19.6 million but it would save the team about $5.1 million in cap room. If the team were to cut him by the June 1st deadline, the cap hit is spread over 2 years: $10.7 million in 2017 and $8.9 million in 2018.
    I think the key is, just how healthy does Romo believe himself to be and at age 36, can he stay healthy enough to realistically keep playing. Romo has had numerous back problems and just the way he sounded yesterday, it sure seems his days in Dallas are over.

NYYF Legend

A good solid win today, 27-17, against a rugged Ravens defense. The Cowboys really stated off slowly today but we're able to use ball control in the 2nd half as they had drives of 92, 88, 75, and 72 yards. Also Tony Dorsett was in attendance as Ezekiel Elliott broke his rookie rushing record of 1,007 yards that he set in 1977. Though Elliott did not reach 100 yards today, he was able to break Dorsett's record in only 10 games.
    As a side note, the great Emmitt Smith finished with 937 yards during his rookie season in 1990.

So.... not that I've read it here, but there are some fans saying the Elliott is 'as good as Emmitt'.
    I wonder if people realize just how good Emmitt Smith was. I really can't see any running, ever - being as good as Emmitt Smith.
    Elliott is a good back and I like him a lot. But the comparisons don't make sense... Certainly not 10 games into his career.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

So.... not that I've read it here, but there are some fans saying the Elliott is 'as good as Emmitt'.
    I wonder if people realize just how good Emmitt Smith was. I really can't see any running, ever - being as good as Emmitt Smith.
    Elliott is a good back and I like him a lot. But the comparisons don't make sense... Certainly not 10 games into his career.
    That's just how things are these days. Everything that happens is immediately the "best ever" or the "worst ever in history". It's all recency bias and the need to get more clicks/eyeballs. Easiest way to do that is to jump to the most extreme conclusion.

Elliot is great and fun to watch but I think any NFL caliber back would look amazing this year working with that O-line. The Dallas offensive line should win MVP this season.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    That's just how things are these days. Everything that happens is immediately the "best ever" or the "worst ever in history". It's all recency bias and the need to get more clicks/eyeballs. Easiest way to do that is to jump to the most extreme conclusion.

Elliot is great and fun to watch but I think any NFL caliber back would look amazing this year working with that O-line. The Dallas offensive line should win MVP this season.
    I couldn't agree with you more about the Dallas O line.

Here's a story:
    Back - a buncha years ago, I had been hanging out with Jerome Bettis. We were doing a charity event together. Over a few lemonades (he didn't drink) we were talking a little football. Bettis had only been in the league a few years. One of the people asked what Barry Sanders was like and how great it was to watch him. Jerome replied, "Barry is one of a kind, but the envy of the league's RBs is Emmitt Smith. He never gets touched running behind those giants up front. He'll last forever. Every RB around the league wants to be Emmitt"....

And so I started watching Smith after that. And I realized how great he was. It also made my appreciation rose high for guys like Sanders and especially, Walter Payton.
    Bettis sitting down with me, talking football was pretty awesome, I must say. He became one of my favorite players after that.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.Hitman23

NYYF Legend

That final game vs the Giants to win the division during the 93 season, was one of the greatest games that Emmitt ever had. Rushing for 168 yards, catching 10 passes, and all with a separated shoulder as that win carried the Cowboys into the postseason.

NYYF Legend

While nothing is better than beating the redskins, of course other than sweeping them, while they run their mouths, I still was not too happy with the Dez Bryant postgame circus. I understand pride and feeling the need to respond to Norman and his mouth, but it's not like he destroyed Norman with 10+ catches and 100+ yards. To me, let your game speak for itself and in the end, all that matters is that your team won.

NYYF Legend

What an ugly win but at least they went into a tough environment and were able to beat a team that has an outstanding defense. And I love to hear the Vikings bitch about the lack of of a penalty on their 2 point attempt when the referees had bad calls against the Cowboys as well. It's funny how that mystery holding call wiped out a 42 yard run by Elliott, that would have placed the ball inside the Viking 20, and the phantom hands to the face, when Scandrick was at the shoulders, nullified the Hitchens interception in Vikings territory. Yeah, the Vikings got screwed all right.

A game where both teams couldnt get out of there own way offensively. Difference in game was about a foot and a half short on Baileys 55 yd FG. Tough loss but a hot Tampa team up next. Now lets see how Dak responds.

NYYF Legend

At some point, this team needs to decide if they are a true contender or just a paper tiger. You cannot go into this game staying out all night, missing team meetings and expect to set a positive tone for the weekend. Thank you Lucky Whitehead.
    And for the second week in a row, this team had multiple opportunities to grab this game by the throat, only to shoot themselves in the foot with a stupid play.
    1) holding by Jones on the Beasley PR that would have placed the ball at the giant 28
    2) holding by Williams on a Beasley catch that would have set-up a 3rd and 1 at the giant 37
    3) Church dropping that sure fire interception in giant territory
    4)Dez and his magic mouth fumbling away his only catch of the night
    A team that has aspirations to go deep into the playoffs simply cannot play like this, which has now happened 2 weeks in a row, and expect to win. It is one thing to lose to a good team like the giants, but to lose because you keep making silly mistakes is unacceptable.

NYYF Legend

Maybe this will be a wake up call. The loss may turn out to be a good thing, better now than later? There was starting to be some hype around the team. Some of the same people crying Dak for MVP are wondering when he will be benched.

Almost back to square one West Texas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    At some point, this team needs to decide if they are a true contender or just a paper tiger. You cannot go into this game staying out all night, missing team meetings and expect to set a positive tone for the weekend. Thank you Lucky Whitehead.
    And for the second week in a row, this team had multiple opportunities to grab this game by the throat, only to shoot themselves in the foot with a stupid play.
    1) holding by Jones on the Beasley PR that would have placed the ball at the giant 28
    2) holding by Williams on a Beasley catch that would have set-up a 3rd and 1 at the giant 37
    3) Church dropping that sure fire interception in giant territory
    4)Dez and his magic mouth fumbling away his only catch of the night
    A team that has aspirations to go deep into the playoffs simply cannot play like this, which has now happened 2 weeks in a row, and expect to win. It is one thing to lose to a good team like the giants, but to lose because you keep making silly mistakes is unacceptable.
    Agreed.

NYYF Legend

It is hard to continue to bitch about a team that is 12-2 but here goes. While beating a good team like Tampa is always a good thing, how the Cowboys went about it, was not. Once again, for the 3rd week in a row, silly penalties made this a close game when Dallas should have won going away. And if this pattern continues, losing TDs because of a holding penalty Or penalties that cause the team to lose a 1st down and then miss a FG, will only make the Cowboys a 1 and done in the playoffs.

On the upside, David Irving completely took over the 4th quarter and was pretty much in Winstons face on every play

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    On the upside, David Irving completely took over the 4th quarter and was pretty much in Winstons face on every play
    Very true as he was basically a one man gang who could not be blocked for the entire 4th quarter. Were you happy with the play calling with Dallas marching and up by 3, with that Elliott sweep to the right side on 3rd and 2 at the 3:00 mark? A TD with that drive puts the game away and I thought Elliott through the middle would have been the better option as the O-line was winning the battles by then.

I hated the sweep. Keep running right at them, they could not stop Elliott. I hated more the botched reverse. I know there was a possibility of an incomplete, but I would have preferred play action to Witten there over the sweep.

They were also very lucky Winston missed Evans on that out and up. He was open.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    I hated the sweep. Keep running right at them, they could not stop Elliott. I hated more the botched reverse. I know there was a possibility of an incomplete, but I would have preferred play action to Witten there over the sweep.

They were also very lucky Winston missed Evans on that out and up. He was open.
    I hated that play with a passion as well. And while I know that botched play was not entirely his fault, but how much better would our special teams play be with Dwayne Harris still here. For all his speed, Whitehead struggles with ball security.
    And with the game on the line, how in the world did Evans get that open with double coverage?

Who is the ROY? Elliott or Dak?

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    This is a tough one in my opinion, they compliment each other so well. Zeke has been a beast, but Murray ran for 1800+ behind basically the same line 2 years ago. But you cant just throw anyone behind that line. Yes, McFadden ran for 1000+ yds last year(1000 yds to me isnt all that impressive), but he did only start 10 games he only put the ball in the endzone 3 times. Whereas Elliott has 16 total tds. But, McFadden had to deal with the likes of Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, and Kellen Moore.

Dak has protected the ball and has made the throws when he has had to, but they have kept the gameplan for him relatively low risk. But they have been able to do that because their 2nd and 3rd downs have been 5 yds and under. They have stayed out of long yardage situations because of Elliott.

So, if you have read this far you have probably figured out, I have no effin' clue...but I lean Elliott.

NYYF Legend

During Romo's tenure in Dallas, the one constant has been, is that when he has not played his replacements have pretty much struggled resulting in failure for the team. And when this year began, the feeling around Dallas was here we go again as the team is going to be led by a rookie QB that was not even highly drafted. I think that if Dak had been able to keep this team at or near the .500 mark, it would have been thought of as a success. Instead, he has led the team to one of its most successful regular seasons ever and Dak has been able to flourish. He has thrown for 3,630 yards, with 23 tds through the air and 6 tds on the ground while only throwing 4 interceptions. And I think even more important has been his ability to spread the ball around thus making the team more dangerous as you simply cannot stop Dez and shut the offense down. I agree that Elliott has been key and that his running ability has opened up the offense tremendously but my vote for ROY, despite the record setting numbers that Elliott has accomplished, would go to Dak due to the outstanding success that he has had at the most important position on the field.

NYYF Legend

I was honestly expecting a flat effort from Dallas last night as coming into the game, the lions had everything to play for while the Cowboys did not. I was impressed how the team responded to a lion team that really dominated the Cowboy defense for the 1st half. I did not understand, with a Dallas defense line that was extremely thin due to injuries, why the lions went away from Zenner after all his early success. But it was an outstanding job by Marinelli and his staff, for the defensive adjustments that they made at halftime as the Cowboys defense really contained Stafford in the 2nd half. I was also surprised that the Cowboys did not go with Romo with about 10 minutes left in the game as that seemed like the perfect time to get him so real game action. Of course with Dallas up by 21, I guess part of the thought process was that all he would have done is hand the ball off, but still he would have at least played. I am glad though that Dallas was smart enough, rookie rushing record be damned, to give Elliott most of the 2nd half off.

You ever wonder how different things might have been if Jerry drafted his beloved Manziel, instead of Martin?

You ever wonder how different things might have been if Jerry drafted his beloved Manziel, instead of Martin?
    I thank god everyday that Jerry wised up and listened to Stephen Jones. Which he had been for several years(as you can see how their drafts have gone). Jerry crackedslightly with Johnny, but gave in

Thread Information