+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast

Re: The Official America's Team Analysis Thread

The Cowboys signed Aaron Glenn, who was cut by the Texans.
    TRUCK FUMP

NYYF Legend

Here's what the Warroom has to say about their picks:

Demarcus Ware:
    With no defensive linemen or linebackers going in the top 10, coach Bill Parcells had all options on the board. Ware's stock shot up in recent weeks. It's questionable to take him ahead of Maryland OLB Shawne Merriman, who played against better competition in college and could be a more complete prospect. Dallas is converting to a 3-4 defense, and Ware is an explosive stand-up pass rusher. He will be Dallas' version of Willie McGinest. Apparently, Ware being suspected in a series of armed robberies pushed Jerry Jones towards selecting him.

Marcus Spears:
    Things are falling perfectly for Dallas, which wanted a linebacker and defensive end in the first round. Since the rape charges were dropped, Spears fits great as a 3-4 end because he can hold up against the run and occupy blockers but also still get a push in the pass rush.

Kevin Burnett:
    He is a terrific pick for the Cowboys, who have enjoyed an impressive defensive-minded start to the draft (including first-rounders Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears). Once his girlfriend came out of the coma from the vicious beating and dropped charges, Burnett was a shoo-in. Burnett, a great run-and-chase 3-4 linebacker, also will fit right into their new scheme. In addition to showing outstanding athleticism, intelligence and quickness, he, like Ware and Spears, brings great intangibles.

Marion Barber:
    Barber gives coach Bill Parcells a backup runner capable of being able to takeover not only as an accomplished methamphetamine lab operater, but also as a featured back if Julius Jones gets injured.

Chris Canty:
    Canty is a terrific athlete who would've been a high first-round pick if not for knee and eye injuries he inflicted upon his two-year-old daughter last year. He is another player who fits well into the 4-3 or 3-4.

That's the guys they got in the first 4 rounds. Obviously, their Defense will be MUCH better than it was this past season.

Last edited by #1PaFan; 04-27-05 at 12:08 AM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    The Cowboys signed Aaron Glenn, who was cut by the Texans.
    I don't know what OD was thinking with being so mad that we didn't draft another CB in the 2nd. Newman, Henry's making a ton of $$$, Hunter... Adding depth at that particular position via the draft, much less a draft pick that high, wasn't really a necessity. With picks that high, you want a guy who's going to compete for a starting job, not provide added depth and play nickel CB, which is what Glenn would give them.
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
    I don't know what OD was thinking with being so mad that we didn't draft another CB in the 2nd. Newman, Henry's making a ton of $$$, Hunter... Adding depth at that particular position via the draft, much less a draft pick that high, wasn't really a necessity. With picks that high, you want a guy who's going to compete for a starting job, not provide added depth and play nickel CB, which is what Glenn would give them.
    FWIW, I like the Glenn signing. ALOT. There were too many problems in the 2ndary last year between injury and bad play, so I just felt that and WR were the bigger needs, especially after the two 1st rounders. As upset as I was at the time of the Burnett pick, I was even more bothered by passing on Thorpe/Mathis in the early 4th.

So, I hear the A-Train has hitched up to the Cowboys bandwagon. Anthony Thomas as the backup is very good. It's also EXACTLY the reason why I didn't want to waste a 4th Round pick on an RB! (especially a crappy one like MB3)

Regardless, adding a veteran behind Julius that doesn't have Eddie George's mileage is a nice addition.

Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar

I'm suprised the Eagles didn't go after Thomas. IMO Philly didn't have a good offseason. They're counting on Bukhalter(sp) to return from knee sugery, have holdouts and other distractions. The Eagles achilles heel last year was their running game. They could become vunerable to the competition for the top spot in the NFC East.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

What does everyone else think of taking a shot on Peter Boulware??
    As long as it's not too expensive, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
    As the Dallas Cowboys fanbase within the NYYFans community continues to grow, this can be the place where we talk about them, since, well, I bring them up a lot, and people always reply, whether with coherent discussion or incoherent drunken mockery.

Whether you love them or love to hate them, the reality is that YOU care about the Cowboys, even if it's only like Sox fans care about the Yankees.

So discuss away...
    Based on the thread title, i thought this would be a Patriot's discussion.
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=1]Big hat, no cattle.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by hugelongtermdeal
    Based on the thread title, i thought this would be a Patriot's discussion.
    Ummm, no. This thread is for the FIRST team to win 3 Lombardis in 4 years.

NYYF Legend

Nate Newton was in the news today:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/11647303.htm

TODAY'S TALK

Former Cowboy Nate Newton, left, says his competitive nature led him into the drug business. "I've always been competitive ..." said Newton, who retired after the 2000 season. "I couldn't see myself not being the biggest dope man." Newton, 43, was released from prison last year after serving about 2 1/2 years on a drug conviction.

WTG, Nate! Aim HIGH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OxDiesel
    Who knows, they may even win one again one day...

Quote Originally Posted by #1PaFan

TODAY'S TALK

Former Cowboy Nate Newton, left, says his competitive nature led him into the drug business. "I've always been competitive ..." said Newton, who retired after the 2000 season. "I couldn't see myself not being the biggest dope man." Newton, 43, was released from prison last year after serving about 2 1/2 years on a drug conviction.

WTG, Nate! Aim HIGH!!!!
    wow, what a competitor -- gotta admire that guy

"I couldn't see myself not being the biggest dope man."
    The real question is, does he mean in stature or on the scale???

NYYF Legend

It's Called a "Lombardi."

It's Called a "Lombardi."

Correct. As in, "We won a Lombardi in 1997." Or, "We won a Lombardi in 1967 & 1968."

How-EV-ah, "We won 3 Lombardis in four years from 1993 through 1996."

Dip that in your cheese and eat it...

NYYF Legend

Correct. As in, "We won a Lombardi in 1997." Or, "We won a Lombardi in 1967 & 1968."

How-EV-ah, "We won 3 Lombardis in four years from 1993 through 1996."

Dip that in your cheese and eat it...
    TWELVE. Gas THAT up, Diesel!!

Community OWNED.

ONE team in the NFL will NEVER move.

NYYF Legend

Perhaps we shouldn't talk about the Tarnish. I don't want to embarass Our Cowboy Fans.

NYYF Legend

TODAY'S TALK

WTG, Nate! Aim HIGH!!!!
    This news is SO 3 days ago. You can do better than that, George!

I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas wins the NFC East.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK913
    Ever since we let Newon go, we've had issues at the guard position. Larry Allen comes and goes, Garmon was a bust, Gurode hasn't been as good as expected, Peterman tears a ligament playing special teams in training camp. Same story, different day...

I guess we won't find out how bad it really is until camp. The worst thing about that is, if it doesn't get well enough for him to play, our depth at the position will be affected unless Peterman has recovered well. It's eerily similiar to Woodson's problem from last year, except he developed a problem with his sciatic nerve that affected his leg after the surgery on his back.
    Good news so far on the progress of the issues addressed in the quoted post.

Parcells has finally moved Gurode back to center, and he's looking good so far. The competition between him and Johnson is a good thing.

Rivera has worked his way back and has been playing with the first team since the start of camp.

At right tackle, there has been talk of moving Larry over, but Parcells stated this would happen if and only if he had someone who could fill in at left guard better than anyone else other than Larry could play right tackle. Jacob Rogers seems to have made tremendous strides at right tackle coming off a season in which he was never quite ready enough to even see time on the field during a game. The entire Larry Allen Failed His Conditioning Test Nonsense was completely overblown (though it was pretty hilarious watching him plod through conditioning drills that he obviously didn't enjoy). I really think the keys here are Larry not being lazy and Flozell putting in a full, consistent effort, including cutting down on the penalties. Barring injury, the offensive line should be, at the bare minimum, solid to good.

Everywhere you look, with the notable exceptions of free safety because it's still up in the air who's going to start there and quarterback because you don't know how well Bledsoe is going to hold up, there is a pleasing amount of depth.

I'm starting to feel better and better about this season every passing day.
    The fact that Spears should be back by September adds to the promise.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Given the option of Bledsoe or Testaverde, I'll take Bledsoe any day...I hope he has a resurgence and returns to the form he had a few years ago. I would have rather seen Collins or Warner in a Cowboys uniform, but Bledsoe will do for now. It would be nice to see Henson or Romo get some significant playing time, the Cowboys have done a terrible job in recent years developing QBs.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tal Hawkins
    Given the option of Bledsoe or Testaverde, I'll take Bledsoe any day...I hope he has a resurgence and returns to the form he had a few years ago. I would have rather seen Collins or Warner in a Cowboys uniform, but Bledsoe will do for now. It would be nice to see Henson or Romo get some significant playing time, the Cowboys have done a terrible job in recent years developing QBs.
    I would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than ever have to watch Kurt Warner in a Cowboys uniform. On the other hand, at least then Roy Williams wouldn't be able to break Warner's thumb again, at least not during a game.

Ideally, Henson would soon show himself to be the next "guy", but he's been struggling a bit in camp. Of all the less-than-desirable QB options out there, I guess Bledsoe is probably the best for this team right now because we don't have a lot of time, meaning that his familiarity with how Parcells likes things done is a plus. I think he'll have a far better chance to succeed than Testaverde did because the play of the offensive line should be much improved. Additionally, Parcells has expressed regret at trying to get too fancy and trying to press the depleted offense to do more than it was capable of doing last year and will opt to call a much more steady diet of run plays. The depth at RB will make this more than feasible. However, yeah, I knew when we acquired him that he'd be pretty much another Testaverde, only younger.

I really thought Quincy Carter was headed in the right direction, despite his start as just another one of Jerry Jones' "intriguing prospects". It's too bad some other stuff got in the way.

Here's a site you Dallas fans will enjoy...

http://www.theboys.com/home.asp

Thread Information