+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Peyton Manning near unanimous MVP

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1963651

Michael Vick received the other vote. Yes, Michael Vick, he of the 78.1 QB rating...

Re: Peyton Manning near unanimous MVP

Atlanta writer I presume...congrats Peyton!

What a shocker! I am floored
    "A failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough."- Christian Nestell Bovee

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Congrats Manning...now lets see you win when it really matters...On the road in January.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Congrats Peyton on your second straight MVP.

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Released Outright

Congrats on your 2nd straight MVP, Peyton!

NYYF HOF

Not really a surprise, what dumbass voted for Vick over Peyton?
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

NYYF Legend

Now let's see if this guy can win the big game. We have known for a long time since Tennessee that he was a hell of a QB. But he couldn't beat Florida. Now let's see if he can finally beat the Pats. Even if he beats them, he still needs to win the SB to complete what would be the best season ever by a QB. He's not there yet.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast
    Not really a surprise, what dumbass voted for Vick over Peyton?
    writer from Detroit defends his pick

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0501/11/f01-56421.htm

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan
    writer from Detroit defends his pick

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0501/11/f01-56421.htm
    What an idiot. Yes, Vick is crucial to Atlanta but not having an adequate backup screwed them as much as anything last year. Gee, I wonder if Indy would be as good without Peyton in the lineup?

that's right

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
    Now let's see if this guy can win the big game. We have known for a long time since Tennessee that he was a hell of a QB. But he couldn't beat Florida. Now let's see if he can finally beat the Pats. Even if he beats them, he still needs to win the SB to complete what would be the best season ever by a QB. He's not there yet.
    Yes. Barry Bonds still needs to lead his team to a World Series victory in order to really be considered a great baseball player. We all know that individuals win championships, not teams.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
    He *has* won big games, he just hasn't been able to beat the Pats. They are a very good team, they have a very good defense, etc. so yeah, he, like many other QB's, teams, has struggled against them. Also, whether he and the Colts beat the Pats or not (it's not just about Peyton beating them, it's a *team* effort), he still at least had the best regular season ever by a QB. Some people think you have to win the SB to be considered a great, one of the best ever, etc. QB's, and some don't. Personally, I don't. Winning the SB is a *team* effort, no one QB can do it alone.

Hitman- Not a chance in hell Indy would be as good w/o Peyton.

Mean WOOOOOOOOOOOO By God Gene S2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bakntime
    Yes. Barry Bonds still needs to lead his team to a World Series victory in order to really be considered a great baseball player. We all know that individuals win championships, not teams.
    Baseball and football are miles apart in this case. A single player has much more value in football than in baseball. Manning controls the ball on every offensive play, or about 60 times a game. Barry Bonds is lucky to face 4 good pitches a night.
    It is what it is but it ain't what you think
    I say we stomp him! Then we tattoo him! Then we hang him! And then we kill him!
    I say we let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by S2
    Baseball and football are miles apart in this case. A single player has much more value in football than in baseball. Manning controls the ball on every offensive play, or about 60 times a game. Barry Bonds is lucky to face 4 good pitches a night.

Good point...It would be much differnet if Manning goes down than if Bonds goes down. Bonds play Left Field and sees 4 At bats a game. Manning IS the offense!
    "A failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough."- Christian Nestell Bovee

that's right

The point is still valid, and certainly not "miles apart." The quarterback may be more influential than a single offensive baseball player, but football teams consist of a much larger number of players, and need to execute on offense, defense, and special teams to win.

Manning is no more influential than a starting pitcher on the given day that he pitches. If his offense doesn't hit for him and gets shut out, how can the starting pitcher win? Peyton and the offense can score 30-40 points, but if the opposition scores more, then they'll lose.

No single player wins a game in any team sport without some supporting cast. Peyton Manning is the best QB in football right now. Anyone who wants to dispute that fact by saying he "hasn't won anything," especially a Sox fan, should take a look at how they used to defend Pedro, Manny, etc, against the same accusations before the Sox won in 2004.

Mean WOOOOOOOOOOOO By God Gene S2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bakntime
    The point is still valid, and certainly not "miles apart." The quarterback may be more influential than a single offensive baseball player, but football teams consist of a much larger number of players, and need to execute on offense, defense, and special teams to win.

Manning is no more influential than a starting pitcher on the given day that he pitches. If his offense doesn't hit for him and gets shut out, how can the starting pitcher win? Peyton and the offense can score 30-40 points, but if the opposition scores more, then they'll lose.

No single player wins a game in any team sport without some supporting cast. Peyton Manning is the best QB in football right now. Anyone who wants to dispute that fact by saying he "hasn't won anything," especially a Sox fan, should take a look at how they used to defend Pedro, Manny, etc, against the same accusations before the Sox won in 2004.
    That still doesn't dismiss the notion that the single most dominant force in other sports (Shaq, Manning) have more to do with their teams success (or lackethereof when said player is hurt) than the single most dominant offensive player in baseball (Bonds).

And Bonds has been historically ridiculous for 4 straight years now, with only 2 postseason appearances to hang his hat on. You can argue that if Manning puts up ridiculous numbers (or any other player in football, Faulk, Warner, Sanders, etc) 4 straight years, then his team will be in the postseason 4 straight years.
    It is what it is but it ain't what you think
    I say we stomp him! Then we tattoo him! Then we hang him! And then we kill him!
    I say we let him go.

NYYF Legend

I'm going to fundamentally agree with you, sorta. Manning can't win a game all by himself, but it sure is within his power to LOSE it all by himself. If he plays well, that doesn't necessarily win the Colts the game, but if he chokes, the Colts are finished guaranteed. Winning is a team effort, which isn't necessarily the case with respect to losing.
    NYYFFFL: Impact Litigators

Peyton is just a placeholder until Eli becomes the perennial MVP.
    TRUCK FUMP

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Oh, good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
    Oh, good grief.
    I guess you didn't get my dry wit.
    TRUCK FUMP

NYYF Legend

The person who voted for Vick should have his voting privileges revoked.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    The person who voted for Vick should have his voting privileges revoked.
    Along with his eyes, ears and brain examined.

Congrats to Peyton on being the MVP 2 years in a row! Go Colts!

NYYF Legend

I guess you didn't get my dry wit.
    No, I did, but I'm certain at least 35% of your brain believes it. I've seen you talk like that too many times to believe it's 100% a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35
    No, I did, but I'm certain at least 35% of your brain believes it. I've seen you talk like that too many times to believe it's 100% a joke.
    Honestly, I don't, but I want to.
    TRUCK FUMP

Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar

Eli does remind me of Tom Brady.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Thread Information