+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 48 88 95 96 97 98
Results 2,426 to 2,438 of 2438

Thread: Boxing, anyone?

Re: Boxing, anyone?

i like only MMA fights and love that

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

I haven't commented on this so-called fight, but I'd meant to, so here goes:

I've never heard of any boxer headlining a match where it's his first fight. Yet Conor McGregor gets $100m to Floyd Mayweather's $200m. All this for a non-title match that's basically an exhibition match.

McGregor has never made more than $20m per fight before, yet somehow wanted 80% of the purse. Unheard of, since Mayweather got $100-120m for fighting Pacquiao.

McGregor saying he's black from the waist down and referring to Mayweather as a "boy" is ridiculous and insulting on every conceivable level. I have no respect for either fighter, since this is basically a WrestleMania type of hyped grudge match.

I first heard of Irish boxers when Gerry Cooney fought George Foreman (which was billed as "The Puncher vs The Preacher"), when Foreman, who'd been a preacher, came out of retirement. Cooney later fought Larry Holmes for the title.

Interestingly, Cooney's corner demanded and received equal payment vs Holmes, which was unprecedented. Both got $10m for the fight, and Cooney was billed as The Great White Hope by the media. Even more interesting, Cooney was ahead on the judges' card before Holmes knocked him out.

For fights between boxers and wrestlers, the last I remember was between Muhammad Ali and Antonio Inoki, a Japanese wrestler and hi-level martial artist. Due to the restrictions placed on Inoki, due to Ali's camp trying to avoid any obscene damage being dealt, Inoki fought the entire fight on his back, kicking at and messing up Ali's legs.

The most colorful part of that fight actually preceded it. Ali attended a wrestling match and saw in the ring the beloved "Gorilla" Monsoon. All 6'5" and 400 lbs of him. Ali, in street clothes, took off his shirt, pointed at and taunted Gorilla Monsoon, declaring "You can't beat no boxer". Monsoon, unfazed, reached down, picked Ali up over his head, spun him around and promptly dropped his arse on the canvas.

That was what made both great fighters so special. May they both rest very peacefully.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

This can't possibly be a good use of $100.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

The winnah ... and STILL undefeated at 50-0 ... by a TKO in the 10th.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

I thought it was a good show in my mind.

In terms of outjabbing and trying to score points and also create angles to neutralize Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s counterpunching, I thought Conor McGregor did well in those first three rounds.

However, boxing is a different animal from mixed martial arts in terms of punches thrown, volumes, quality damage, generalship, stamina and experience in one aspect of the fight game.

I also say that Conor should've been docked points for his hammer fists on Floyd, but referee Robert Byrd only gave him warnings.

This is also why Money is 50-0: his boxing IQ. Once he figured out Conor's gameplan and angles from his jab, he turned on the aggression and landed some powerful shots which rocked and wobbled Conor. Since Conor lasted 25 minutes in MMA, boxing is a different where it's 36 minutes. Conor was gassed after the seventh round and Floyd stopped him.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Another title fight @ T-Mobile Arena tonight on PPV.

Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin defends his middleweight title against Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez on Mexican Independence Day.

I'm going with Canelo over GGG via decision 116-112.

I think this fight will be exciting since both men like to throw flush punches and will clamor for a rematch, but I like Canelo's jab to be a little more effective to set up his offense especially in the later rounds.

Wow! What a fight inside Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena.

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin fought to a draw! Scores were 118-110 for Canelo, 115-113 for GGG and a 114-114 draw.

Both men traded nasty punches. Triple G got clobbered, but showed that he had a very sturdy chin and Canelo showed that he evolved as a fighter.

However, my beef is one judge scoring 118-110 in favor of Canelo. It was a 116-112 and 115-113 fight that could've went either way or a 114-114 draw.

I had it 115-113 for GGG where Round 5 was crazy and my candidate for Round of the year to go along with Fight of the Year.

I think boxing should go back to odd number rounds, not necessarily 15, but if the judges declared a championship fight a draw, add a sudden victory round where the winner of that round wins the fight.

Just Adelaide Byrd being Adelaide Byrd. Absolutely shameful that she continues to get gigs like this.

Chris Mannix called it 3 days ago.

Same sh*t, different year. I had it 114-114, should have been a draw or 115-113 in favor of GGG. I don't see how Canelo did enough to hand the man the first loss of his career AND take his belts. I hate boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Same sh*t, different year. I had it 114-114, should have been a draw or 115-113 in favor of GGG. I don't see how Canelo did enough to hand the man the first loss of his career AND take his belts. I hate boxing.
    I saw the fight on Sunday here in the Philippines.

I had it 115-113 for Canelo where in my opinion, Canelo was the busier fighter and went forward to land arguably the more thudding shots.

GGG did create a cut on Canelo's left eye, but didn't do anything to follow up his jab with more shots that further damage Canelo's eye.

Throwing in the network towel: HBO to end boxing coverage after 45 years
    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/hbo-throws...2481--spt.html

Thread Information