+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing, anyone?

NYYF Legend

Re: Boxing, anyone?

I've got a bunch of guys that are interested. One of them is a HUGE gatti fan.. Probably roll down no less than 30 deep and make Mayweather start my jeep...

We'll probably have 6-10 guys go down for real, though.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

You got to love the pre-fight trash talk. Mayweather said, " This fight may not even go three rounds" (among other things ) .... Gatti said, "Big mouths and glass chins run in the family." ( That's all he said ) The 8 or 9 Mayweather fans in attendance June 25th should let Mayweather do the talking, because Atlantic City is Gatti turf!

In other news, Bernard Hopkins nephew Demetrius fights tonight on ESPN Friday Night Fights.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Demetrius Hopkins (Bernard's nephew) won on a 10 round decision last night...he's got great hand speed and mobility and if he can hit harder he could very well become the next great Philly fighter with the last name of Hopkins. But he still needs work.

Jermain Taylor and Hopkins talked a little about the upcoming fight...I can't wait for this one. No real trash talking, but you can bet Hopkins will do his part to sell tickets the closer it gets to the fight.

Fernando Vargas fights tonight on HBO as he tries to climb the ladder in the middleweight division and get back to where he was before the Trinidad ( who clashes with Winky Wright on May 25th...talk about contrasting styles!) fight a few years back. HBO will also re-broadcast the AMAZING Morales / Pacquiao brawl from last week.

http://hbo.com/boxing
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

After watching the Pac-man/Morales fight, I had the fight 116-112 for Morales. Pacquiao doesn't fare too well with polished boxers, and so it wasn't too surprising that Morales was able to use his skills to beat Manny. Why Morales decided to go southpaw in the final round is beyond me; it nearly cost him the fight.

Vargas looked slow and stiff tonight, understandable due to his long absence from the ring. Yet a top-level Vargas would make the middleweight division very interesting, especially if Taylor defeats Hopkins and Wright beats Tito. While he may not have the tools he one had, a Vargas fight with any one of those guys would be exciting.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FoodNetwork
    After watching the Pac-man/Morales fight, I had the fight 116-112 for Morales. Pacquiao doesn't fare too well with polished boxers, and so it wasn't too surprising that Morales was able to use his skills to beat Manny. Why Morales decided to go southpaw in the final round is beyond me; it nearly cost him the fight.

Vargas looked slow and stiff tonight, understandable due to his long absence from the ring. Yet a top-level Vargas would make the middleweight division very interesting, especially if Taylor defeats Hopkins and Wright beats Tito. While he may not have the tools he one had, a Vargas fight with any one of those guys would be exciting.

Link

Pac was behind the ball early...there's no telling what might have happened without the headbutt. He clearly had the heart and toughness to stand in there with the bigger Morales..there definitely needs to be a rematch, I would much rather see that than EM-MAB 4, do you agree?

As far as Vargas goes, he was definitely rusty, and a little out of shape. But his return definitely makes things more interesting in the middleweight division, I wonder how good he will be now that he's changing up his style by becoming more of a boxer than the mauler he used to be.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by FoodNetwork

I thought Pacquaio came up big down the stretch. They both fought one hell of a fight. I had it 114-114 with Morales' little southpaw stunt costing him the win on my card.

Vargas isn't a pure boxer. I'm not sure if he's going to try and keep it up but he didnt seem very comfortable fighting the way he did on Saturday. I think he may have to since he has a shaky chin.

Some HBO boxing dates for the next few months:

4/9/05 - Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Mzonke Fana
    4/23/05 - Wladimir Klitschko vs. Eliseo Castillo
    4/30/05 - John Ruiz vs. James Toney
    5/14/05 - Felix Trinidad vs. Winky Wright
    5/21/05 - Lamon Brewster vs. Andrew Golota
    5/21/05 - Ricardo Mayorga vs. Alejandro Garcia (28-1, 28 KO's)

Some intriguing fights coming up. I'm glad to see some heavyweight action. Even if it is completely watered down, there's something about the big men duking it out that's fun to watch.

And how does John Ruiz keep getting fights??? He is the worst fighter I have ever seen.

The Mayorga fight should be bombs away.
    [IMG]http://johnedwards.com/assets/downloads/email-signature.jpg[/IMG]

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by yanksrule51
    I thought Pacquaio came up big down the stretch. They both fought one hell of a fight. I had it 114-114 with Morales' little southpaw stunt costing him the win on my card.

Some HBO boxing dates for the next few months:

4/9/05 - Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Mzonke Fana
    4/23/05 - Wladimir Klitschko vs. Eliseo Castillo
    4/30/05 - John Ruiz vs. James Toney
    5/14/05 - Felix Trinidad vs. Winky Wright
    5/21/05 - Lamon Brewster vs. Andrew Golota
    5/21/05 - Ricardo Mayorga vs. Alejandro Garcia (28-1, 28 KO's)

Some intriguing fights coming up. I'm glad to see some heavyweight action. Even if it is completely watered down, there's something about the big men duking it out that's fun to watch.

And how does John Ruiz keep getting fights??? He is the worst fighter I have ever seen
    I don't remember the score I gave the fight but I had Morales' winning; but much like you I could have taken away extra points for the last round. It was a hell of a fight, and I thought Morales' won it. He opened a big lead in my eyes and Pac just could not catch up. He tried though and that's what made the fight so good. They had some very nice exchanges; and I'm really surprised one of them did not get knocked down at least once.

Ruiz keeps getting fights because he beat Holyfield . . That has to be the reason; it gives him credibility even if Evander was toward the end of his career

I think Toney will win that fight vs. Ruiz probably by decision.

Trinidad / Wright should be an interesting fight. That one is on PPV though, so I will wait until it's on HBO

Seems Boxing is gaining some momentum. Can't wait for Hopkins / Taylor

-Triple G

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by TripleG23
    Ruiz keeps getting fights because he beat Holyfield . . That has to be the reason; it gives him credibility even if Evander was toward the end of his career
    I dont know what it is. Ruiz won the 2nd fight with Holyfield and the 3rd was the ugliest draw you'd ever want to see. After that he had a brutal fight against Kirk Johnson which ended on a DQ for Johnson, he got picked apart by Roy Jones, he had an ugly fight with Rahman, an ugly fight against Fres Oquendo, and somehow got a unanimous decision against Golota despite being knocked down twice and getting a point deduction. And he still gets meaningful fights somehow.

The best John Ruiz fight was his fight against David Tua that lasted about 10 seconds. I wonder where the Tuaman went?

NYYF Legend

I don't remember the score I gave the fight but I had Morales' winning; but much like you I could have taken away extra points for the last round. It was a hell of a fight, and I thought Morales' won it. He opened a big lead in my eyes and Pac just could not catch up. He tried though and that's what made the fight so good. They had some very nice exchanges; and I'm really surprised one of them did not get knocked down at least once.

I think Toney will win that fight vs. Ruiz probably by decision.

Trinidad / Wright should be an interesting fight. That one is on PPV though, so I will wait until it's on HBO

Seems Boxing is gaining some momentum. Can't wait for Hopkins / Taylor

-Triple G
    Ruiz keeps getting fights because there is nobody out there except the usual re-treads in the heavyweight division. The rest of boxing is definitely gaining momentum, with plenty of big fights and big names, but the heavys are a disaster. The only one who even slightly generates enthusiasm right now is Vitali Klitchsko.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
    Ruiz keeps getting fights because there is nobody out there except the usual re-treads in the heavyweight division. The rest of boxing is definitely gaining momentum, with plenty of big fights and big names, but the heavys are a disaster. The only one who even slightly generates enthusiasm right now is Vitali Klitchsko.
    Anybody remember Ike Ibeabuchi? That guy was a freakin beast. He would have restored energy into the Heavyweight division and got some people talking about boxing. I remember he absolutely destroyed Chris Byrd. Unfortunately, he had to lose his marbles.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=005981

NYYF Cy Young

The only one who even slightly generates enthusiasm right now is Vitali Klitchsko.
    I wonder if his brother can pull off some victories if they would fight each other? That might be an interesting heavyweight fight; but I do agree the heavyweight division is pretty weak right now.

-Triple G

NYYF Legend

I wonder if his brother can pull off some victories if they would fight each other? That might be an interesting heavyweight fight; but I do agree the heavyweight division is pretty weak right now.

-Triple G
    That would be one of very few interesting matchups, but I remember an SI story a couple years about the brothers in which they said they would never fight each other. Wladimir would get KTFO anyway, he has no chin and no stregnth past the early rounds.

Crazy as he was the heavyweight division needs more guys like Ikeabuchi. If Ricardo Mayorga suddenly gained 50 pounds then the heavys would be in business. Unfortunately, casual boxing fans don't get into the lower weight classes, they just want to see two giants pound each other.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Tickets are not on sale yet, but the cheapest seats will probably start at 50 and go up from there.
    Cheapest tix were $100, and they're already gone...
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by yanksrule51
    Anybody remember Ike Ibeabuchi? That guy was a freakin beast. He would have restored energy into the Heavyweight division and got some people talking about boxing. I remember he absolutely destroyed Chris Byrd. Unfortunately, he had to lose his marbles.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=005981
    He had outstanding hand speed and lots of power. He would have been undisputed champion now if he'd stayed out of jail. There's a new Nigerian guy who looks promising. He'll fight for a belt in a year or two.

NYYF Legend

Is anyone watching the Castillo/Correales fight on Showtime right now? It's a hell of a fight. Both guys are beaten up and conceivably the fight could be stopped for either one at any time. It's in the 9th round now are they are just throwing bombs at each other

NYYF Legend

That had to be one of the most exciting fights I've ever seen. Castillo knocked Correales down twice in 10th and it looked like the fight was seconds away from ending when Correales made an amzaing comeback and TKO'd Castillo w/ about 20 seconds left in the round.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    Cheapest tix were $100, and they're already gone...

Not really. I can get them, I totally understand if you don't want to pay upwards of $100 but I'm in there like swimwear.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    That had to be one of the most exciting fights I've ever seen. Castillo knocked Correales down twice in 10th and it looked like the fight was seconds away from ending when Correales made an amzaing comeback and TKO'd Castillo w/ about 20 seconds left in the round.

That was an AWESOME fight. What do you think about the stoppage? I thought it was a little early, considering how bad Corrales was hurt
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Big night in boxing tomorrow night. Zab Judah, undisputed welterweight champ, takes on Cosme Rivera in a mandatory defense that should be a good appetizer for ....

Tito Trinidad vs Winky Wright. This is a huge fight, the fans will be going wild and these are two of the best fighters of this generation. Winky Wright was slept on for years but he's proven himself time and time again. He's a slick southpaw with some power and top notch boxing skills. Most of us know what Tito brings...knockout power in both hands, heart and a straight forward style, a combination that leads to spectacular knockdowns and intense rounds.

I think this fight will be similar to the Morales - Pacquiao fight, because of the similarity in fighting styles of Tito and Morales...they come right at you, and that usually works against tough lefty fighters. But Wright is a smarter fighter than Pacquiao, and I can definitely see him having successful rounds.
    The problem Wright will run into is that he is not as powerful as Bernard Hopkins, so just boxing alone won't be enough to knock off Trinindad. He needs to hurt him or at least cut him, without leaving his face and body out there for Tito's straight rights and left hooks to connect with.

Tito wins on a stoppage in the 10th.

Also, for anyone who didn't see the Corrales/Castillo slugfest of epic proportions ( the last couple rounds were like Hagler/Hearns ) it will be replayed tonight at 11 eastern time on Showtime.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

That was an AWESOME fight. What do you think about the stoppage? I thought it was a little early, considering how bad Corrales was hurt
    Firstly, that might have been the best fight I've ever seen. I think it was even better than Ward-Gatti 1.

Secondly, the stoppage was not too early. Castillo was out. It was the right call and Castillo's corner didn't complain about it at all.

edit: And this fight on Saturday is going to be great too! It just won't be as good as Castillo-Corrales but it should be a great one. Lets go Winky!
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Firstly, that might have been the best fight I've ever seen. I think it was even better than Ward-Gatti 1.

Secondly, the stoppage was not too early. Castillo was out. It was the right call and Castillo's corner didn't complain about it at all.

edit: And this fight on Saturday is going to be great too! It just won't be as good as Castillo-Corrales but it should be a great one. Lets go Winky!
    I would have given Castillo two more seconds, that's it. It was not a bad stoppage, I just thought it was a little early given how bad Corrales hurt earlier in the round, and also because he spit out his mouthpiece twice to get extra rest on top of the standing 8. But it definitely did not tarnish one of the greatest fights ever.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Does anyone know if DishTV is showing the Trinidad/Wright fight tonight. I see where DirectTV is picking it up, but was wondering about DishTv.

What Channel, what time does it start?

Thanks for any/all help.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gringaloca
    Does anyone know if DishTV is showing the Trinidad/Wright fight tonight. I see where DirectTV is picking it up, but was wondering about DishTv.

What Channel, what time does it start?

Thanks for any/all help.

It's on HBO pay per view, if that's any help, I have cable
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Very dissapointed with the Wright-Trinidad fight. Terribly boring and one-sided. Trinidad has now retired from boxing.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Legend

When did he retire? I didn't know that...What Trinidad needs to do is retire his trainer, Trinidad Sr, because that was the most clueless corner I have ever seen in a big fight. NO strategy whatsoever besides, " get close and hit him hard"...not good.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Thread Information