+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing, anyone?

Re: Boxing, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by PlsDontTearDownY.S.
    Hagler / Hopkins would be a dream match. Did you see the Cotto/Corley fight last night?
    Saw the fight, and while I think that Cotto would have eventually won the fight, the ref messed up by stopping the fight early.

But Chop-Chop exposed Cotto on a couple of fronts: A lefty can easily counter Cotto's left hook with an overhand right (Floyd Mayweather) and someone with more punching power could have finished him off (Kostya Tszyu).

Nonetheless, there aren't many Light Welterweights who will weigh in unofficially at 157 like Cotto did- and that's a huge advantage. I still see Mayweather outboxing Cotto, and Tszyu stopping him via TKO.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FoodNetwork
    Saw the fight, and while I think that Cotto would have eventually won the fight, the ref messed up by stopping the fight early.

But Chop-Chop exposed Cotto on a couple of fronts: A lefty can easily counter Cotto's left hook with an overhand right (Floyd Mayweather) and someone with more punching power could have finished him off (Kostya Tszyu).

Nonetheless, there aren't many Light Welterweights who will weigh in unofficially at 157 like Cotto did- and that's a huge advantage. I still see Mayweather outboxing Cotto, and Tszyu stopping him via TKO.
    Terrible stoppage. Corley was clearly trying to buy time, it was a voluntary knockdown and everyone knows it. But Cotto still would have won the fight, and I think he learned an important lesson being in trouble early like he was.

I can see Cotto vs. Tzuyu down the road, but I think Cotto's handlers are smart enough to wait on it for now. I think Cotto would waste Mayweather, Floyd can't hurt him and Cotto has deceptive speed...Mayweather would have to be like Sweet Pea to beat him. Also, don't forget Arturo Gatti, that guy's totally changed his style and become a much more focused and smarter boxer.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Whoa. Manny Pacquiao vs. Erik Morales for the vacant super-featherweight title, Saturday March 19 on PPV from Vegas. This could be fight of the year.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Whoa. Manny Pacquiao vs. Erik Morales for the vacant super-featherweight title, Saturday March 19 on PPV from Vegas. This could be fight of the year.
    And I'll be in attendance
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I love both these boxers. I think I'm going to have to root for my man Pacquiao though.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch
    And I'll be in attendance
    You gotta give us a full report. The fight, the ladies, everything.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Triple Crown

I cant wait to see PacMan vs. El Terrible. Its gonna be a helluva fight.

I'm going to have to wait for the encore next week it'll be on the same night as Fernando Vargas' comeback.
    [IMG]http://johnedwards.com/assets/downloads/email-signature.jpg[/IMG]

NYYF Legend

You gotta give us a full report. The fight, the ladies, everything.
    No doubt, no doubt!

NYYF Legend

And the Mayweather/Gatti fight is on!

http://cbs.sportsline.com/boxing/story/8276499

June 25, in AC. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, reps Jersey like Arturo Gatti. Mayweather will get KTFO, Atlantic City is Gatti territory.

Also, Miguel Cotto will finally fight in New York, at the Garden June 11th, which just so happens to be the day of the 116th street party and the day before the Puerto Rican day parade...it's gonna be a wild weekend in Manhattan!
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Damn what a fight! Snatch Catch definitely got his money's worth. The Morales / Pacquiao rumble was one of those few sports events that actually lived up to the hype. It was a nonstop, thrilling slugfest. Morales won on a unanimous decision, 115 - 113 but there were no true losers in this fight... I thought it should have been a draw. After watching the fight, one thing for sure is that Pacquiao showed that he has a chin made of iron and the heart of a lion, fighting against a bigger and more experienced fighter. Pacquiao had his eye split open in round 4 by a headbutt ( unintentional ), and not only did he finish the fight, he didn't get knocked down once and he almost knocked Morales to the canvas in the 12th. There has to be a rematch, forget about Morales / Barrera 4, there needs to be a Pacquiao/Morales 2.

http://www.espn.go.com/sports/boxing...ory?id=2017471
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

No one better than my main man, Francois Botha
    Tanyon is the Manyon

NYYF Legend

Damn what a fight! Snatch Catch definitely got his money's worth. The Morales / Pacquiao rumble was one of those few sports events that actually lived up to the hype. It was a nonstop, thrilling slugfest. Morales won on a unanimous decision, 115 - 113 but there were no true losers in this fight... I thought it should have been a draw. After watching the fight, one thing for sure is that Pacquiao showed that he has a chin made of iron and the heart of a lion, fighting against a bigger and more experienced fighter. Pacquiao had his eye split open in round 4 by a headbutt ( unintentional ), and not only did he finish the fight, he didn't get knocked down once and he almost knocked Morales to the canvas in the 12th. There has to be a rematch, forget about Morales / Barrera 4, there needs to be a Pacquiao/Morales 2.
    It was one of the top three sporting events I've ever been to. I cannot even express to you the energy that was in the building...I was rooting for Pacman, but the crowd was about 70 percent for Morales; there was an UNBELIEVABLE Mexican population there.

The thing is, though, by the end of the fight everyone was just standing and applauding no matter WHO landed shots. It was so freaking intense, and those moments in a fight where the crowd starts to stand up and go swell, as one (or in this case BOTH) of the fighters start throwing and landing combinations happened at least 5 times per ROUND.

Every single time one of them would look like he had the other one reeling, he would get countered with an even better combo! It was incredible. Just incredible.

I ended up chatting up a press guy who was taking pics for his TV show that he hosts on boxing in Vegas. He predicted everything to a TEE, including ALL of the undercard fights. It was insane, and at the end of the night he gave me his card and told me to e-mail him and he will send me all the pics from the fight that I want.

I walked out of the MGM wanting to fight anyone that moved. My buddy that came to the fight wasn't even a big sports fan, but he heard the buzz that was going on the couple of days prior, and said "Why not?". So he came with me, and the two of us ended up so into the fight that whenever they started going into one of their crazy slugfests, we would jump up with the rest of the crowd and start swinging at the air like we were in the ring! It was that intense and captivating of an event to be at...and the 3 hours we spent at the Bellagio buffet with bottomless champagne prior to heading over to the fight certainly helped thing along a bit...

On a funny note, there was a pretty sizable Singaporan presence at the fight, and I was sitting next to an elderly couple who had flown to Vegas from Singapore just for the fight. The whole night the wife kept feeding me lines in her native language to scream in a bellowing voice. Things like "Knock him out!" and "Don't stop hitting him!". Over and over, I kept yelling these things, and everytime I did the whole part of the crowd that was there for Pacman would start laughing and screaming along with me. It was way too much fun...

NYYF Legend

It was one of the top three sporting events I've ever been to. I cannot even express to you the energy that was in the building...I was rooting for Pacman, but the crowd was about 70 percent for Morales; there was an UNBELIEVABLE Mexican population there.

The thing is, though, by the end of the fight everyone was just standing and applauding no matter WHO landed shots. It was so freaking intense, and those moments in a fight where the crowd starts to stand up and go swell, as one (or in this case BOTH) of the fighters start throwing and landing combinations happened at least 5 times per ROUND.

Every single time one of them would look like he had the other one reeling, he would get countered with an even better combo! It was incredible. Just incredible.

I ended up chatting up a press guy who was taking pics for his TV show that he hosts on boxing in Vegas. He predicted everything to a TEE, including ALL of the undercard fights. It was insane, and at the end of the night he gave me his card and told me to e-mail him and he will send me all the pics from the fight that I want.

I walked out of the MGM wanting to fight anyone that moved. My buddy that came to the fight wasn't even a big sports fan, but he heard the buzz that was going on the couple of days prior, and said "Why not?". So he came with me, and the two of us ended up so into the fight that whenever they started going into one of their crazy slugfests, we would jump up with the rest of the crowd and start swinging at the air like we were in the ring! It was that intense and captivating of an event to be at...and the 3 hours we spent at the Bellagio buffet with bottomless champagne prior to heading over to the fight certainly helped thing along a bit...

On a funny note, there was a pretty sizable Singaporan presence at the fight, and I was sitting next to an elderly couple who had flown to Vegas from Singapore just for the fight. The whole night the wife kept feeding me lines in her native language to scream in a bellowing voice. Things like "Knock him out!" and "Don't stop hitting him!". Over and over, I kept yelling these things, and everytime I did the whole part of the crowd that was there for Pacman would start laughing and screaming along with me. It was way too much fun...

Ahhhh yes! Isn't it great when something actually lives up to its hype? Awesome. It must have been unbelievable to be there in person...there are few things as intense as a prize fight between two guys who mean as much as these guys do to their paesanos. The Trinidad/Vargas fight comes to mind. When there is national pride on the line, few sports events can compare to a prize fight in terms of intensity and crowd involvement.

I saw the fight at the Hooters in Wayne, which is out in the boonies, and even there the Filipinos and Mexicans showed up and were going crazy watching it. But it wasn't just them, the whole restaurant was off the hook...every round, every combination...I can't wait for the rematch.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Ahhhh yes! Isn't it great when something actually lives up to its hype? Awesome. It must have been unbelievable to be there in person...there are few things as intense as a prize fight between two guys who mean as much as these guys do to their paesanos. The Trinidad/Vargas fight comes to mind. When there is national pride on the line, few sports events can compare to a prize fight in terms of intensity and crowd involvement.

I saw the fight at the Hooters in Wayne, which is out in the boonies, and even there the Filipinos and Mexicans showed up and were going crazy watching it. But it wasn't just them, the whole restaurant was off the hook...every round, every combination...I can't wait for the rematch.
    Wow, I definitely messed up his nationality!

By the way- is that the one right off 22 by Willowbrook? If so, we used to watch NFL there a LOT.

NYYF Legend

Wow, I definitely messed up his nationality!

By the way- is that the one right off 22 by Willowbrook? If so, we used to watch NFL there a LOT.
    That's the same Hooters. My dude's girl lives in Montclair, and we were chilling out by her place getting some pregame in before the fight started...not quite Vegas, but it was a star studded evening out there in Wayne...NORE was in the house.

On a side note, you plan on going to the Gatti/Mayweather fight in AC this June?
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

That's the same Hooters. My dude's girl lives in Montclair, and we were chilling out by her place getting some pregame in before the fight started...not quite Vegas, but it was a star studded evening out there in Wayne...NORE was in the house.

On a side note, you plan on going to the Gatti/Mayweather fight in AC this June?
    Nowwe[radio edit] Onthe Run Eating. Loved him on his first album and even moreso on The War Report

After what I saw in Vegas, I'd be inclined to...Is it supposed to be as good?

NYYF Legend

Nowwe[radio edit] Onthe Run Eating. Loved him on his first album and even moreso on The War Report

After what I saw in Vegas, I'd be inclined to...Is it supposed to be as good?

The fight itself could possibly be as good. The atmosphere obviously won't be
    (Vegas > AC , also the national pride) but it's going to be pretty damn intense. An Arturo Gatti fight in NJ is a great night...he's the one fighter out there that represents Jersey, and almost all of his recent fights have been held in AC. The place is going to be be going crazy for Gatti..it's a Jersey thing. I can't remember the last time east coast fight fans have gotten behind a home fighter like they have for Arturo Gatti. I'm definitely going, and the clubs in AC are full of freaky women for the post fight celebrations.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

The fight itself could possibly be as good. The atmosphere obviously won't be
    (Vegas > AC , also the national pride) but it's going to be pretty damn intense. An Arturo Gatti fight in NJ is a great night...he's the one fighter out there that represents Jersey, and almost all of his recent fights have been held in AC. The place is going to be be going crazy for Gatti..it's a Jersey thing. I can't remember the last time east coast fight fans have gotten behind a home fighter like they have for Arturo Gatti. I'm definitely going, and the clubs in AC are full of freaky women for the post fight celebrations.
    Tickets go on yet? What do you think its going to run?

Could make for an interesting road trip...

NYYF Cy Young

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ESPNSports/story?id=604830

Bernard Hopkins vs. Jermaine Taylor July 16th

Should be a great fight! Worth getting on PPV or wait until it comes on HBO?

-Triple G

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by TripleG23
    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ESPNSports/story?id=604830

Bernard Hopkins vs. Jermaine Taylor July 16th

Should be a great fight! Worth getting on PPV or wait until it comes on HBO?

-Triple G
    Woooow. Didn't expect this. I think Jermaine is the real deal but I think this might be too big a step too soon in a career.
    [IMG]http://johnedwards.com/assets/downloads/email-signature.jpg[/IMG]

I long for the Sugar Ray Leonard days. I loved watching him box.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by yanksrule51
    Woooow. Didn't expect this. I think Jermaine is the real deal but I think this might be too big a step too soon in a career.
    He sure looked sharp in his last fight. I think it will be a good fight; but you might be correct. Hopkins has so much experience he might be able to use that to his advantage to wear down Taylor. . . Taylor is going to have to fight the best sooner or later and I think 20+ fights should be enough for him.

-Triple G

NYYF Legend

Tickets go on yet? What do you think its going to run?

Could make for an interesting road trip...

Tickets are not on sale yet, but the cheapest seats will probably start at 50 and go up from there.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

NYYF Legend

Tickets are not on sale yet, but the cheapest seats will probably start at 50 and go up from there.
    I'm perfectly content with the cheapies. Do you usually go lower down?

NYYF Legend

I like the cheap seats. You can't really get a bad seat in Boardwalk Hall anyway, it's not a huge arena...it's gonna be LOUD in there. 98% Gatti fans.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

Thread Information