+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

April 25 Yankee History

Note: I've decided it's too cumbersome to make it a huge string with one day added after another. I welcome feedback on that.-K

On April 25, 1965, Mel Stottlemyre battled Rudy May of California in a scoreless duel won 1-0 by the Yanks on a fourth-inning Mickey Mantle home run.

Two years later to the day, Whitey Ford beat the White Sox at the Stadium, 11-2. He surrendered eight hits and upped his record to 2-1. It was his last major league win.

One year ago the Yanks ran into something they were not accustomed to, an effective start by a Ranger in Texas. But Mike Mussina more than matched Colby Lewis, leaving with a 3-1 lead on Jason Giambi's run-scoring single and a two-run jack by Nick Johnson. Juan Acevedo allowed a tainted run in the bottom of the ninth while cashing in the 3-2 win.

Bernie Williams delivered Chuck Knoblauch, who had led off by being hit with a pitch, with the game-winner on this day in 1999 in a 4-3, 11-inning victory over the Jays in the Bronx; Jason Grimsley picked up the win.

Scott Brosius's singleton homer did not offset the five unearned runs that resulted from his two miscues on April 25, 2001, as the visiting Mariners whipped the Yankees in the Bronx by the same 7-5 score by which they had won the day before.

The reason owners go off the deep end and fire managers is that they hope to get a bump out of it for the team. So I'm sure Mr. Steinbrenner felt he had done the right thing on April 25, 1982, when he replaced Bob Lemon with Gene Michael. Shane Rawley pitched the Yanks to a 3-1 victory over the Tigers that evening, with Goose Gossage garnering the save.

Jack Chesbro posted the first of 41 wins in 1904 when he pitched the Yanks to a 4-1 victory in Washington on April 25.

Righty reliever David Weathers had worn out his welcome in the Bronx through ineffective pitching that culminated in four runs allowed in one third of an inning in a 9-3 loss to the White Sox on this day in 1997. He would be "designated for reassignment" the following day.

Back-to-back homers by Todd Walker and Christian Guzman off Ramiro Mendoza in the third inning got the Twins started toward a 6-1 win over the home-standing Yanks on April 25, 2000.

An ugly day for Billy Martin: He was pelted with marshmallows by fans in Minnesota during a 10-3 loss of his A's to the Twins on April 25, 1980. Martin had had a fight with a marshmallow salesman his last time in the Twin Cities, serving as Yankee Manager at that time.

Babe Ruth pitched 10 innings in defeating the Yankees, 4-3, at the Polo Grounds on April 25, 1916.

On this day in 1933, Russ Van Atta shut out the Senators 16-0 in his Yankee debut.

For Yankee birthdays, click here
    [url]http://www.takehimdowntown.com[/url]

Yeah it's tough to keep up with it day in and day out...We've all tried and we all appreciate the effort !!
    "Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
    UACC: Universal Autograph Collectors Club

#1 BronxBomber Enthusiast JeanC's Avatar
    Country living at ITS BEST! Indiana of Course!
    Knuckles, Thanks for the memories!
    Yankees Are Still the Best in the MLB! Better than ALL the Rest!!!!!

Re: May 6

Originally posted by Knuckles
    [B]

On May 6, 1962, Mickey Mantle hit home runs from both sides of the plate in a game for the ninth time in his career in an 8-0 win over Washington in the second of two. It was Jim Bouton's first career win. Roger Maris preceded The Mick's first shot with one of his own. Although the nationals won the opener, 4-2, Mantle accounted for the Yankee scoring in that contest with a portsided blast.

Power-hitting Mickey Mantle gave the Yanks every opportunity to sweep two against Washington on May 6, 1964. He chipped in a tater to go with the two by Hector Lopez and one by Roger Maris to carry Jim Bouton to a 9-2 win in the first game, then drilled a three-run shot off Claude Osteen in the second contest to give the Yanks a 4-0 lead.

The Yankees turned their first-ever triple play on May 6, 1911, in a 6-3 win over the Red Sox.

For Yankee birthdays, click here

Awwwwww This were some great days for my favorite Roger Maris & My Next Favorite Guy Mickey Mantle!!

Thanks again for the Memories! They were swwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeet!!!

Way to go Roger & Mickey for giving the Yankee fans to see homeruns on the same day for a Great Yankees win!

I can just imagine this is one day that Mel Looks Back on & Smiles especially when we play the sux!

I can remember my Daughter coming home & saying to us that she was sorry to hear that one of our favorite singers had just passed away...I had forgotten it was the day before our wedding anniversary, thanks Kuckles I was just thinking of that that other day that is what day it was that Frank passed away.

Hey but you mentioned Mickey again!

And Im glad to remember about Bernie in fact he celebrated the anniversary today of his grandslam with his 2nd homerun of the season!
    Burn BABY Bern!!!!!

And the sound of the Italian Name Al Cicotte is like Yankee Music to my ears! I imagine Bob Sheppard misses saying that name too! ]

Thanks Again Knuckles!

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.
    Thanks again Knuckles. Always enjoy taking a look at your baseball history.

June 2 is a sad day in Yankee land, as Lou Gehrig was lost to amyotropic lateral sclerosis, the condition that is more famously known as his disease, on this day in 1941.
    Yes, but sixteen years before, on the same day Gehrig died -- June 2, 1925, was the day of Wally Pipp's famous "headache"... and even though the Streak began the day before when Lou pinch-hit, this was more or less the day it symbollically began. Weird.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

Re: June 18

Tino Martinez also provided the game winner one year later as the Yanks took the third game of their first interleague series with the Mets, at Yankee Stadium. Chad Curtis and Cecil Fielder homers gave the Yanks the lead, but the Mets tied it against the superb David Cone on a balk. But Tino's 10th-inning single to left field plated Paul O'Neill and won it (and that series two games to one) for the Yanks, 3-2.
    Great game -- likely because I attended. It was the first game I'd been at since one the previous year where we left in the eighth and Tino hit a homer in the ninth. I was so mad at my parents for making me leave early and missing Tino's homerun, so this hit kind of made up for it. Not to mention Coney was perfect into the sixth. It was an afternoon game, I remember, and I had a final exam at the same time as the game -- but my mom managed to sweet-talk the principal into allowing me to take it that morning so I could go to the game -- something completely unprecedented, as they never change finals times unless you have some sort of life-or-death excuse. It was one of many instances where I forewent school for the Yankees. Ah, those were the days....

By the way, I got an A+ on the final.

Thanks, always fun to read
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

NYYF Legend

For those of you who didn't know, Dr. Bobby Brown, a great third baseman for the Yanks later became the American League president.

NYYF Legend

Re: August 6

It was August 6, 1979, in a night game after the funeral for Yankee catcher Thurman Munson that his teammate and friend Bobby Murcer drove in all five runs of a Yankee win. Murcer had a three-run homer and then chipped in with a two-run ninth-inning single to beat the Orioles, 5-4.

I was at a holiday inn in Amsterdam New York at a high school friends wedding. . I remember being in the room when the news came across the TV. I could not believe it… when we got back home on Monday a friend talked me into going to the game that night (I think it was a Monday). I said I really don’t want to go it was a long weekend. He said the Yankee’s might not even show up tonight they had to go to the funeral. I said then why are we going to go … he said it would be history tonight. No matter what happen we will remember it forever… well we went and bobby murcer won the game…I still get goose bumps thinking about that game. Sat in the loge section. I remember a family getting up in the 7th inning to leave. I said you can’t leave now. The Yankees are not going to lose… the 2 young girls about 12 and 14 begged their parent to stay but the father said we will listen to it in the car… as they walked out I said you will be sorry about leaving…my friend was right i will remember it forever

I, too, have always had problems with Ripken for other reasons, but never doubted for a second that he "legitimately" broke Lou's record. That was such a magical night -- I guess especially for me, feeding my just-beginning interest in baseball history. I believe that was really the first game I ever watched on TV attentively from start to finish, and I still kinda get chills seeing the "2130" on the warehouse change to "2131" and Whitney Houston's "One Moment In Time" blasting from all corners of the stadium as Cal took his victory lap, the silhouette of Lou Gehrig's face superimposed. Wow. I can't believe it's nine years ago already.

NYYF Legend

I distinctly remember the 1961 game when Ford won his 23rd....that was my team of all time until 1998! It was also my 22nd birthday.

Re: October 6

Suffering from the loss of his father, Robert, Mort Cooper of the Giants pitched against the Yanks in a World Series game on October 5, 1943, and beat the New Yorkers 4-3. Marty Marion and Ray Sanders homered in the win.
    what?
    Vic Raschi and Allie Reynolds combined to beat the Dodgers, 3-2, in Brooklyn, evening the Series for the third time in 1952, despite the Carl Furillo ninth-inning catch that robbed Tony Lazzeri of a home run.
    what?

Re: Re: Re: October 6

It seems that there is something else there to which you're objecting. A more complete question than "what?" would be appreciated.
    I'm not objecting to anything. I was only curious about those two facts, because in 1943, the Yankees played the Cardinals, not the Giants, and in 1952, Tony Lazzeri had already been dead for a few years. I did not realize you compile these data yourself.

Yankee Stadium History?

Was Yankee Stadium ever segregated (I assume it was)? If it was, when did they integrate seating? Where were African American fans required to sit? What year did the stadium integrate?

Any answers---or recommendations for resources to look at---would be great.

Chris61
    Chris61

NYYF Legend

Re: Daily Yankees History

Does anyone know what ever happened to Chad Curtis? Is he still playing somewhere or is he retired from baseball?

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I see that Knuckles mentioned Alan Wiggins in his post of Jan.9

Wiggins died tragically in 91, but it's nice to see his daughter is excelling.
    Check out this article:
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...04-406690.html
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Re: January 21

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles
    As a Yankee fan, I have often expressed pique at what I consider to be Hall of Fame snubs. I feel both Don Mattingly and Thurman Munson were on top of their games long enough to merit entrance, and in my opinion, Roger Maris's incredible feat in 1961 qualifies him for the honor all by itself. But those three really are minor irritations when you compare them to what happened on January 21, 1971, when Yogi Berra was denied entry in his first year of eligibility. In recent years, Kirby Puckett has made it, and Ozzie Smith and Willie Stargell were voted in on their first tries. How is it possible that the three-time American League Most Valuable Player Yankee catcher wasn't?
    Even as a Red Sox fan, I don't see how Berra wasn't in on the first try. I think it took 270 votes to get elected and Yogi was at the top of the list with 242... so no one was elected but I'm not sure about the Old-Timers Committee choices.

But it gets worse. On January 21, 1953, Dizzy Dean and Joe Gordon were feted by the Hall, but Joe DiMaggio, the man who would be honored as the "greatest living ballplayer" for more than 30 years, did not get the votes to enter on his first try either.
    Dizzy made it with 209 votes... he finally made it after many years of voting. Bill Terry just missed again with 191 votes - 198 were needed, and Bill Dickey missed again with 179. Both would make it in 1954 though.

For the life of me I can't understand Mr. DiMaggio not making it right off the bat. In 1953 he received 117 votes! Again in 1954 he fell short of the 189 needed to be elected with 175 votes! Hell... Rabbit Maranville made it with 209 votes! Maybe the fact that 2 Yankee's had made it had something to do with "Joltin' Joe" not getting in again. It wasn't until 1955 that he led the class in!

Addicted Member

The words "former Yankee star hurler" and "Doug Drabek" probably shouldn't be used together. What's amazing is that he was acquired with Kevin Hickey for Roy Smalley, then traded with Logan Easley and Brian Fisher for Rick Rhoden, Cecilio Guante and Pat Clements. That's a whole heap of garbage in, garbage out... only Drabek went on to do well with the Pirates.
    Read the Daily News' [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/touchingbase/"]Touching Base[/URL], now in blog form!

Wasn't it this date in 1912 that the Yankees played in pinstripes for the first time?

You replied eight minutes after I put up the April 12 Yankee history, which I did at 10:21 pm on April 11. The Yankees wearing the Pinstripes for the first time was the lead item in my April 11 history, which you can see by scrolling up the page, just above April 12. So yes, you were right, because it was still April 11 when you asked.

And in a couple of hours, April 13 will be here. There is nothing automated about this, and I have been making it to midnight less and less of late.

YANKEE BASEBALL!!!
    Oops, sorry Knuckles. Guess that's why you're the boss

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

June 25, 1941

Breaking the record set by Wee Willie Keeler in 1897, Joe DiMaggio runs his hitting streak to 45 consecutive games, with a home run off of Red Sox hurler Heber Newsome.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Thanks Knuckles I always like the Daily Yankees History thread.

Thread Information