+ Reply to Thread

At Least 20 Injured in Coors Field Escalator Accident

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0702/1576087.html

AP

DENVER -- At least 20 people were injured when a crowded Coors Field escalator suddenly accelerated after a Colorado Rockies game Wednesday night, fire officials said.

Assistant Fire Chief Larry Trujillo said most of the injuries were fractures, cuts and bruises. He said none appeared to be critical.

Cherri Brownfield was on the escalator, near the end, when it sped up.

"It's like it had no brakes and everybody was just piling up at the end of it,'' she said. "People were just falling on each other.''

The escalator was carrying fans from the upper level to the street after Colorado beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 6-2. The game was followed by a fireworks show.

Alex Frenier, a vendor at Coors Field, said people were screaming and falling down.

"I saw people's heads all hitting each other,'' he said. "I heard people's bodies banging against that thing.''

Nick Nossinger was watching the fireworks and saw the accident.

"People were just sliding down like an avalanche,'' he said.

The accident occurred at about 10:20 p.m., just after the fireworks ended, Rockies spokesman Jay Alves said.

Paramedics stationed at the stadium began treating the injured and called for help, said Tom Cribley, paramedic supervisor for Denver Health Medical Center. Eight ambulances took patients to four hospitals, he said.

Engineers examined the escalator and found no sign of structural failure, Trujillo said. City building inspectors planned to check for mechanical problems Thursday morning, he said.

Alves said Thursday night's game between the Diamondbacks and Rockies will go on as scheduled. He said the stadium's other escalators would be looked over before the game.

Coors Field has six escalators.

ooh, I heard about this. how scary must that have been! I hope everyone is okay...I'm not a huge fan of escalators...most cases, I'd rather take the stairs or the ramp...

Owner of a coconut bra. Yankchic22's Avatar
    Originally posted by b-ball-lunachick
    I'm not a huge fan of escalators...most cases, I'd rather take the stairs or the ramp...
    I always disliked escalators... Now I do even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Oh yeah, things are always better when Randi's around.

NYYF Legend

I always take the ramps down, Going up to the Tier, people stop at the top to see where their seats are without stepping to the side and off the escalator at the Stadium.
    Last edited by wexy; 07-03-03 at 07:41 PM.

I've never seen the escalators working after games at the Stadium and at the start there is usually an attendant monitoring the crowds, stopping people from going up until other folks have gotten off at the top. You should have heard the griping last week!!

NYYF Legend

There are escalators at Pro-Player where the Marlins play, but they only go to the Club Level. I usually take them "up"...but always take the ramps down. Good excercise after those hotdogs/peanuts..

Might it have something to do with the number of people/weight on the escalator going down? I'm not a mechanical engineer but possibly the weight factor triggered something to malfunction?

In any case...what a tragic situation..

Clay City, Indiana (Mayberry of the Midwest)
    Sad to hear that!
    Brian

GO YANKS!

Released Outright
    Tragic? Nobody died. It sounds like a highly disorganized game of Twister gone bad. This wasn't tragic, it was just a stupid accident that didn't result in anything all that horrible.

I much prefer escalators to ramps, especially since they waxed and buffed the ramps at Yankee Stadium with a slippery clear coat of shiny crap over the winter.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by CF#5
    Tragic? Nobody died. It sounds like a highly disorganized game of Twister gone bad. This wasn't tragic, it was just a stupid accident that didn't result in anything all that horrible.

I much prefer escalators to ramps, especially since they waxed and buffed the ramps at Yankee Stadium with a slippery clear coat of shiny crap over the winter.
    I saw today in the Times that nine people are still hospitalized and there were a bunch of broken ankles and deep lacerations. I think they were lucky noone was killed, It was also noted that there was another incident in May with 12 people being injured.

Not a joke CF

Released Outright

I was at a game at Giants Stadium coming down from the upper deck when the same thing happened. I'm not aware of anyone getting hurt, but it was becoming quite the logjam at the bottom, and my dad and I both just ran like hell to get out of the way of the crush coming behind us. I assume it corrected itself shortly after we got off, but if it didn't, people definitely would have been hurt.

NYYF Legend

God, CF #5 , can you take one day off from being a total asshole?????

Thread Information