Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar

Mo Vaughn blasts Troy Percival, Angels (35 expletives in 10 minutes!)

I must say that I love it when a true hatred comes out between two athletes. Wasn't Percival rumored to be traded to the Mets by the trade deadline this season? What I would pay to see that!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0326/1358287.html

Don't disrespect Mo Vaughn's leadership.

That's precisely what Anaheim Angels closer Troy Percival did in a Los Angeles Times article published Sunday, and his comments triggered an expletive-filled rage from Vaughn when he heard about it, the New York Post reported.

"Let me say this: Who the (expletive) is Troy Percival?" Vaughn bellowed Monday morning when interviewed by the newspaper. "What has he done in this game?

"Has he led his team to a pennant? Has he ever (expletive) pitched in a big game that meant something?"

Vaughn quickly hit the roof when he heard that Percival said in the Times story, "We may miss Mo's bat, but we won't miss his leadership. Darin Erstad is our leader."

A handful of Mets teammates watched in astonishment as Vaughn began venting a stream of 35 expletives in about 10 minutes. :finger3:

"This guy talks so much (expletive), and he hasn't even done (expletive)," Vaughn said of Percival. "He has the right to evaluate and analyze people, but what the hell has he done to deserve that right?

"He hasn't done (expletive) to lead them anywhere. I got hardware, I got playoff appearances, I got an MVP. I've been to the playoffs twice. What the hell has he done? Who the hell is he?"

The more Vaughn reflected on the Angels, the more his frustration flowed. The 34-year-old, who began his All-Star career with the Red Sox, signed with Anaheim after the 1998 season but spent three injury-plagued years out West.

"I tried to be cool here. I tried to be nice of this whole situation concerning the Angels all the way around," Vaughn told the Post. "Ain't none of them done a damn thing in this damn game, bottom line.

"They ain't got no flags hanging at friggin' Edison Field, so the hell with them."

The Los Angeles Times article described how the Angels expected to fill last year's leadership void. Vaughn missed the year with a ruptured biceps tendon in his left arm, and Erstad struggled through a divorce. The article noted that some teammates were critical that Vaughn "dallied" in the clubhouse during a late-season fight with Cleveland in 2000. There was also an allegation from an unnamed source that Vaughn went to Angels president Tony Tavares to get manager Terry Collins removed a few years ago, going over the head of former general manager Bill Bavasi at the time.

"I went out there and played when I didn't have to play," Vaughn said. "That organization frickin' destroyed my arm.

"They did a lot of (expletive) that I never even spoke about, and all I keep hearing from these people is this and that.

"I kept playing, they had surgery on (the arm) and infected it again. I had to rehab my whole situation by myself. So the Angels, they better leave me alone."

Vaughn saved his worst for Percival.

"(Expletive) Troy Percival. He ain't done (expletive) to be talking about anybody," Vaughn told the Post. "And he's a (expletive) pitcher, too.

"You don't even (expletive) play every (expletive) day and you're sitting there talking about position players who play every day."

NYYF Triple Crown

STL, MO--Supposedly Baseball Heaven, but I'll take the Bronx over STL anyday
    I guess Mo Vaughn still hasn't learned. They didn't want to hear him in Boston or Anaheim...mark my words, it won't be long before he's calling for Booby V's head and is crying for changes in Shea. All his hardware and his 2 measly trips to the post-season will be worth squat when October rolls around and the Muts find themselves STILL looking up at Atlanta.

The guy's a blowhard who refuses to just shut-up and play a la Jeff Nelson. Playing in NY is tough enough, and he's going to learn how that there's no room for bellyaching in Gotham.

Troy Percival is in Anaheim and is more familiar with the team than Mo is from NY. Troy can say whatever he wants as long as he's there and can evaluate the state of the Angels.

Frankly, I'm sick of these guys who cry to be traded or to be let out of a deal because they're unhappy. You signed the deal, play it out. If the team trades you for competitive reasons, so be it. And I know people will say Roger Clemens did the same thing in Toronto...I agree that was bull$hit and it took a long time for him to earn my respect.

Mo is going to be perfect for Shea, sitting next to "Press Conference" Piazza.

Mo Vaughn is starting to irritate me. He always feels the need to be the center of attention spewing ridiculous unimportant bs. IMO, Piazza and Alomar are the ones that are the best players on this team and the ones that should be getting all the attention. They obviously don't have the need to be the center of attention, so they don't mind, but I am tired of Vaughn. Im happy he is here, and I know he'll have a much much better yr than Zeile did, but Im getting tired of his mouth always goin.

Seems like Anaheim always badmouths their stars when they leave. When Jim Edmonds left they were saying he was a clubhouse cancer and lazy (people love him in St louis) and when Chuck Finley left they said he had no fire. Now this with Mo Vaughn. And why shouldnt Piazza have called a press conference? He didnt have a chance to talk to the press the day he got hit.

Originally posted by DannyAlmonte
    And why shouldnt Piazza have called a press conference? He didnt have a chance to talk to the press the day he got hit.
    Can you read the topic of this thread please? If you want to go back to 2 years ago and continue to beat a dead horse you have every right to, but start your own thread and take it there.

Can you say FAT? Actually, I'd take Percival on my team over Vaughn if I had the choice. Hey Mo, if you come into camp actually READY to play instead of being 30 pounds OVERWEIGHT....maybe THEN you could talk.....

Originally posted by pacewon

Can you read the topic of this thread please? If you want to go back to 2 years ago and continue to beat a dead horse you have every right to, but start your own thread and take it there.
    Where the hell did Piazza and press conferences fit in here? What did I miss?

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    I think that both Mo and Troy could've both exuded a lot more class. They sound like warring rich parents each trying to convince the public they've got what it takes, the other one doesn't. Makes you wonder how they even got along in the first place.

As to Piazza's press conference, I seem to recall Bob Gibson being famous for plunking batters and their teammates for Carla Everett-like behavior. Does anyone here remember anyone holding a press conference for this?

Look, give some reporter an exclusive, told them how you feel, about the controversy, your .583 BA against Clemens going into that game, your so-called "complete lack of respect" for that HOF-bound pitcher, but why do you need to assemble a group of reporters to say this? Being HBP is one thing.but why lose support by doing something like this? He could've just as easily held one for why his 24 teammates just stood there not defending him, which would've never have happened with Backman, Dykstra, Straw and cokehead Hernandez back in 1986.
    Originally posted by pacewon

DING, DING, DING. Finally someone can talk common sense to the usual Yankee haters.

Originally posted by PinstripePride

Where the hell did Piazza and press conferences fit in here? What did I miss?
    junkman called referred to the Mets' catcher as "Press Conference Piazza" just joking around. Then this DannyAlmonte character (that name sounds familiar ) tried to make an argument about something that happened nearly 2 years ago. Now, just as I expected, it appears as though the focus of this post is going to shift from Mo Vaughn versus Troy Percival to a Mets fans opinion versus many Yankee fans' opinions.

NYYF Cy Young

I like Mo, BUt, I think his coice of words, language and timing is unprofessional. I am sure Bobby and others are meeting with him to discuss the opportunistic NY media. He will probable be told to Shut Up like Fassell told the Giants. Sounds like sour grapes and poor discretion used by a Great Player and Humanitarian.

Best Regards, Brian

Just to continue the ridiculous convo. the reason PIazza called the press conference was to avoid being asked the same questions over and over again by the 10000000000000000 media members. He figured if he answered all the questions at the same time he'd wouldnt have to worry about being asked again and again. I don't see what the big deal is about that.

Butnud-Bombers.com
    And Once again the team chemistry will not be there for the Muts to win it this year!

I hope the next time Percival faces Mo, Troy beans him throwing 100mph. What a joke this Mo Vaughn is.

The Mets have always had great team chemistry. The players have always got along great, that was never the problem. THe problem has been putting enough runs up on the board to actually win games.

Originally posted by Squizzy
    Just to continue the ridiculous convo. the reason PIazza called the press conference was to avoid being asked the same questions over and over again by the 10000000000000000 media members. He figured if he answered all the questions at the same time he'd wouldnt have to worry about being asked again and again. I don't see what the big deal is about that.
    Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...... Piazza did not call that press conference to answer questions, he called it to sit down and bitch about not understanding that pitching inside is part of the game. In fact, I don't even remember him answering any question, just sitting down and starting with his "I have no respect for him" bull.................

Blah blah yourself. He did answer plenty of questions and said at the press conference that he wanted to answer all the questions now so he didnt have to spend weeks answering the same quesitons over and over again.

He understands pitching inside is part of the game, but throwing at somebody's head isnt. He's been hit several other times and never complained about it being intentional. Its not like he's freakin' Cryin' Brian Jordan who thinks anytime he is hit its on purpose.

I still don't see what the big fuss is about the press coference anyway. And I love how once CLemens is a Yank he's "just pitching inside" but when he was a Jay he was no doubt throwing at Brosius and Jeter :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to avoid discussing this topic from now on. The biases here are a little ridiculous.

What leadership did Vaughn show exactly in Anaheim? Yeah, Vaughn can flaunt his MVP awards and whatever playoffs experience (please, he was with the Red Sox, for crying out loud) he had, but what is that supposed to prove? Actions speak louder than words. He didn't help the Angels go anywhere so he should just shut his mouth.
    ~*~ Bleeding Maize and Blue since 2001 ~*~

That's one of the funniest articles i've read in a long time. Mo Vaughn has shown that he BELONGS in Shea Seriously, I feel bad for the 2 class acts that remain on that team (Al and Franco). I'm sure Mo and Robby are getting along fine. Maybe Robby will spit on Troy for Vaughn, later in the season..

NYYF HOF

Well, I will say this...Mo will definitely give the Mets some personality & swagger, provided he doesn't turn it on his teammates.

I would've liked to see the clip of that tirade!

When was the last time Vaughn played an entire season and contributed to his team. Oh yeah, two years ago. He's done some great things during his career but all of it was before he came to the Angels. Percival on the other hand has been an active part of the Angels for a lot longer than Vaughn. But in my opinion both players should have kept their comments to themselves.

-Deborah

NYYF MVP

Mt. Vernon, NY/ proudly born in the Bronx
    Too bad the NL East is playing the AL Central this season instead of the AL West. Mets vs. Angels would have been verrrrrrrrrrry interesting........

NYYF Triple Crown

STL, MO--Supposedly Baseball Heaven, but I'll take the Bronx over STL anyday
    Mo shut have just said "Whatever...." and be done with it instead of ranting and raving about all his "credentials." He hasn't done squat in 5 years. baseball has been better off without him.

Originally posted by cb2u

I would've liked to see the clip of that tirade!
    That would be interesting, to say the least!

Blah blah yourself. He did answer plenty of questions and said at the press conference that he wanted to answer all the questions now so he didnt have to spend weeks answering the same quesitons over and over again.
    Of course he's going to say that he called the press conference to answer questions but only because he's not going to come out like a man and say that he called it to bitch about being hit by a pitch.

He understands pitching inside is part of the game, but throwing at somebody's head isnt.
    What has Piazza ever done to show that he understands pitching inside is part of the game? Just as Roger said, Don Baylor had been hit over 400 times during his career and never called 1 press conference about it.

I think I'm going to avoid discussing this topic from now on. The biases here are a little ridiculous.
    I don't blame you, but just keep in mind that this topic had nothing to do with Piazza's press conference until you and another Mets fan had to add your two cents about something totally unrelated to the Vaughn/Percival fued.

FYI, Junkman was the one who brought up the "Press Conference" Piazza part, not me.

Thread Information