+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    World Series rosters

    Is there a website that would give me the rosters for all the Wolrd Series teams??? I'm looking for The Yankees now, but soon, I will want all of them. Thanks!

  2. #2
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Jersey somewhere
    Here it is. You'll have to deal with the LCS's and LDS's in years they were played also, but it shows stats on just about anyone who's laced up the cleats, even if for a short time.

    Remove the "/postseason" and peruse all around the site for all kinds of goodies. Not a person I've recommended this to failed to be impressed.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

  3. #3
    Dude, you rock.
    Thank you so much!!!!!!

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    Re: World Series rosters

    Hi,

    I agree that no one can fail to be impressed with BaseballReference.com - it is one amazing site.

    However, like with every other site I've found (e.g. BaseballAlmanac.com), it does NOT contain the full 25 man rosters. They only have the players that actually made it into at least one game.

    I've been working on this project for about a year and it's taken hours and hours to come up with what I have. I've written to beat writers in various MLB cities to try to find the information and have had some success. Digging through the Google News archives yielded some success. The only person that actually talked to me was the Dodgers' historian and he suggested digging through microfiche copies of the New York Times to try to find the information.

    I live in Canada so that's impossible, but maybe you are closer.

    For example. if you look at BaseballReference.com and look at the 2000 Yankees, you will find 22 players (Pitching + Batting) According to what I've been able to dig up, Dwight Gooden, Jason Grimsley and Chris Turner were the other three men who never got into a game.

    I would be very interested in anything you cam come up with. I have found that going back beyond 1982 has been pretty much impossible.

    Karl

  5. #5

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlM144
    Hi,

    I agree that no one can fail to be impressed with BaseballReference.com - it is one amazing site.

    However, like with every other site I've found (e.g. BaseballAlmanac.com), it does NOT contain the full 25 man rosters. They only have the players that actually made it into at least one game.

    I've been working on this project for about a year and it's taken hours and hours to come up with what I have. I've written to beat writers in various MLB cities to try to find the information and have had some success. Digging through the Google News archives yielded some success. The only person that actually talked to me was the Dodgers' historian and he suggested digging through microfiche copies of the New York Times to try to find the information.

    I live in Canada so that's impossible, but maybe you are closer.

    For example. if you look at BaseballReference.com and look at the 2000 Yankees, you will find 22 players (Pitching + Batting) According to what I've been able to dig up, Dwight Gooden, Jason Grimsley and Chris Turner were the other three men who never got into a game.

    I would be very interested in anything you cam come up with. I have found that going back beyond 1982 has been pretty much impossible.

    Karl
    One resource I've used for the same kind of project is MLB.com's Gamedays. Though its been acting wonky in recent months or so, just go into the archives of each series, going back to 2001, and just pick any game's Gameday, and it will list off to the side in the boxscore who was left in the pen and bench of each team for the game.

    Another resource, but OH BOY is it expensive, is to pick up the programs for the various rounds and such. Of course the problem there is sometimes the roster for a team will be the current 40 man roster, Boston in the 1990s did this, but it is a good resource to get a ballpark look at who is on the team that year at the time of the postseason.

  6. #6

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlM144
    I would be very interested in anything you cam come up with. I have found that going back beyond 1982 has been pretty much impossible.
    Karl
    Actually, look for this book, The World Series: Complete Play-By-Play of Every Game, 1903-1989 http://www.amazon.com/World-Play-Pla...6783962&sr=8-2

    It probably is out of print, but you can probably pick it up cheap at a used book shop, or Amazon or eBay.

    In it, it has the entire roster of every World Series participant from 1903 through 1989. Even if player never played in the series.

    It has notations of Play-In-Games/Series like the Bucky Dent game, and the Shot Heard Round The World series, but only the Box Scores/PBP. And strangely nothing on the League Championship Series, despite the concept enjoying its 20th season when this final edition of this book (They updated it a few times from the 70s through the 80s) came out.

    But its great for what you need with pre-1982 stuff.

  7. #7
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. Rogers
    Actually, look for this book, The World Series: Complete Play-By-Play of Every Game, 1903-1989 http://www.amazon.com/World-Play-Pla...6783962&sr=8-2

    It probably is out of print, but you can probably pick it up cheap at a used book shop, or Amazon or eBay.

    In it, it has the entire roster of every World Series participant from 1903 through 1989. Even if player never played in the series.

    It has notations of Play-In-Games/Series like the Bucky Dent game, and the Shot Heard Round The World series, but only the Box Scores/PBP. And strangely nothing on the League Championship Series, despite the concept enjoying its 20th season when this final edition of this book (They updated it a few times from the 70s through the 80s) came out.

    But its great for what you need with pre-1982 stuff.
    Do you still have a copy of the book? Wasn't Frankie Crosetti on the Yankees World Series roster for the 1941 World Series? Just didn't play because they had that Phil Rizzuto rookie starting.

  8. #8

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Do you still have a copy of the book? Wasn't Frankie Crosetti on the Yankees World Series roster for the 1941 World Series? Just didn't play because they had that Phil Rizzuto rookie starting.
    Yup! You sir, are correct.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    Re: World Series rosters

    Thanks very much, Steve. I will do that. It sounds perfect!
    Karl

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    Re: World Series rosters

    I found a used copy from amazon. Shipping is twice the cost of the book to Canada!! This will be great. All I would be missing are the 1992 and 1996 Braves rosters. I have 23 and 24 Braves respectively. It's been quite a challenge getting what I have. For example, I found the 1982 rosters by discovering a microfilmed copy of the Milwaukee paper's special World Series pullout in Google News Archive. I've been able to put together stuff piecemeal. it's actually been a lot of fun.

  11. #11
    Released Outright Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlM144
    I found a used copy from amazon. Shipping is twice the cost of the book to Canada!! This will be great. All I would be missing are the 1992 and 1996 Braves rosters. I have 23 and 24 Braves respectively. It's been quite a challenge getting what I have. For example, I found the 1982 rosters by discovering a microfilmed copy of the Milwaukee paper's special World Series pullout in Google News Archive. I've been able to put together stuff piecemeal. it's actually been a lot of fun.
    Good luck on your project, Karl.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    Re: World Series rosters

    Thanks a bunch, guys! It takes 2-3 weeks for the book to get here so I'll let you know when I get it.

    By the way, that Phil Rizzuto guy worked out all right, didn't he?

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by deranged2005
    Is there a website that would give me the rosters for all the Wolrd Series teams??? I'm looking for The Yankees now, but soon, I will want all of them. Thanks!

    You might be interested in a book I bought used for $10 from Amazon.com. It's' title is

    "The World Series: Complete Play by Play of every game, 1903-1989"
    David F. Neft author. It has the box score from every WS game during the period given.

    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  14. #14
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westchester-ish

    Re: World Series rosters

    I've had good luck getting info like this by emailing the research dept. at the Baseball HOF. research@baseballhalloffame.org

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    You might be interested in a book I bought used for $10 from Amazon.com. It's' title is

    "The World Series: Complete Play by Play of every game, 1903-1989"
    David F. Neft author. It has the box score from every WS game during the period given.

    Andy
    Sorry, I didn't see the post above that also cited this book. My bad

    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  16. #16
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by KarlM144
    Thanks a bunch, guys! It takes 2-3 weeks for the book to get here so I'll let you know when I get it.

    By the way, that Phil Rizzuto guy worked out all right, didn't he?
    Nah, he was a flash in the pan. He was one of my favorite players though.

    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: World Series rosters

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Do you still have a copy of the book? Wasn't Frankie Crosetti on the Yankees World Series roster for the 1941 World Series? Just didn't play because they had that Phil Rizzuto rookie starting.
    Tha amazing thing about that year was that the flashy feilding but no hit Crosetti was only 30 in 1941 when the 23 year old Scooter took over his job. Crow did go on to have an almost lifetime job with the Yankw as a coach. The Scooter never became a coach but he did do some time in the Broadcast booth. This was a great web site. Thanks Jersey Yank

    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    Re: World Series rosters

    Hi Steve,

    I got the book last week and it's great! Thank you very much for the advice. It's exactly what I was looking for. I got a hardcover version that was withdrawn from the Clearwater, FL library system. It's been used, but it's really in pretty good shape.

    I've found a couple of errors in it (1984 Padres and 1989 A's), but otherwise so far so good.

    Thanks everyone for the help.

    Karl

  19. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

    Re: World Series rosters

    P.S. Once I get finished working through the book, there will a web site that has the rosters aback to 1947 (the TV era)!! let me know if anyone is interested.

    Now, if I could only find the Braves rosters for the 1992 and 1996 Series. I have been able to piece together everything else from 1990 to the present. I wrote to the Journal-Constitution but they didn't respond. When I have a moment, I will email the Hall of Fame at the address you suggest, Yankeebot, and will also try my luck with the ball club directly.

    I am missing two players from the 1992 roster (found David Nied as #23) and one player from the 1996 roster. I'm almost positive one guy from the 1992 roster is a pitcher because I only have nine pitchers.

    Karl

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts