• Yes

23 40.35%
  • No

34 59.65%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Do you approve of Brian Cashman

IMO 63% of 54 responses on a discussion board that seems intent on defending the right to insult and disrespect this organization more than insisting on respectful, constructive opinions about the team doesn't really sway me to formulate any overall consensus about how the overall Yankee fanbase feels about any given subject, and in particular, this one.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    IMO 63% of 54 responses on a discussion board that seems intent on defending the right to insult and disrespect this organization more than insisting on respectful, constructive opinions about the team doesn't really sway me to formulate any overall consensus about how the overall Yankee fanbase feels about any given subject, and in particular, this one.
    Would you really prefer a discussion board that limited discussion to the expression of positive opinions? Is it really insulting or disrespectful to the organization to criticize their GM with specific and detailed arguments?

OK, hereís a respectful, constructive opinion. I love the Yankees, but even one's deepest love can show room for improvement. The Yankees could be even better than they are, perhaps, by constructively improving their roster management, player development (especially regarding pitching), and drafting, among other things. All of these are finally under the direction of their general manager, but that should not be considered a negative or disrespectful opinion about him. Maybe he just needs more support from us.

If you poll the Reddit portion of the fanbase (R/NYYankees) it would be more like 100% approval. I like Reddit for a lot of subjects, but baseball is not one of them. The homerism is like nothing I’ve seen before. Yesterday there was a Gardner thread (I checked it out because I knew it would be very different from here) with over 900 upvotes and 200+ comments raving about the re-signing.

The 60/40 in one direction or the other that you’ll find here is a lot more realistic. And you get 10X better content with much better and more informed posters. This tight knit community is the best place there’s ever been online for Yankee and baseball discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    If you poll the Reddit portion of the fanbase (R/NYYankees) it would be more like 100% approval. I like Reddit for a lot of subjects, but baseball is not one of them. The homerism is like nothing Iíve seen before. Yesterday there was a Gardner thread (I checked it out because I knew it would be very different from here) with over 900 upvotes and 200+ comments raving about the re-signing.

The 60/40 in one direction or the other that youíll find here is a lot more realistic. And you get 10X better content with much better and more informed posters. This tight knit community is the best place thereís ever been online for Yankee and baseball discussion.
    Do they explain in words why they like Gardner?
    ďIt's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.Ē
    ― Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    So roughly 63% of us disapprove. How does this work now? Do the admins send this on to Hal for the firing or do we just e-mail Cashman and fire him directly?

I propose not telling Cashman. Just let him come into the office and find someone else's name on the door and sitting in his desk. He knows he has only won 1 WS in the last 20 years. He doesn't need it explained to him.
    I laughed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Would you really prefer a discussion board that limited discussion to the expression of positive opinions? Is it really insulting or disrespectful to the organization to criticize their GM with specific and detailed arguments?

OK, hereís a respectful, constructive opinion. I love the Yankees, but even one's deepest love can show room for improvement. The Yankees could be even better than they are, perhaps, by constructively improving their roster management, player development (especially regarding pitching), and drafting, among other things. All of these are finally under the direction of their general manager, but that should not be considered a negative or disrespectful opinion about him. Maybe he just needs more support from us.
    No one is saying that you cannot be critical of the team, GM, manager or players but it is astonishing how the same negative narrative gets beaten to death on a near daily basis. Like someone mentioned about Reddit which I do not follow I can say that the Facebook Yankee fans are not nearly as negative and are far more positive about the Gardy signing than this forum. It's borderline depressing to visit this forum. The more negative and hyperbolic you are, the bigger fan you are some how.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

OK, here’s a respectful, constructive opinion. I love the Yankees, but even one's deepest love can show room for improvement. The Yankees could be even better than they are, perhaps, by constructively improving their roster management, player development (especially regarding pitching), and drafting, among other things. All of these are finally under the direction of their general manager, but that should not be considered a negative or disrespectful opinion about him. Maybe he just needs more support from us.
    I agree with your entire post. I am by no means insinuating the limiting of any type of discussion on a discussion board lol. Believe it or not, I'm also (at times) very criticial of Yankee moves/decisions/philosophies, lol. Never is anything peachy keen, there's always room for improvement.

I was just commenting about the lack of validity these results have in my mind. 63% of nothing = nothing, yet a couple of folks are claiming the outcome is definitive.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

I agree with your entire post. I am by no means insinuating the limiting of any type of discussion on a discussion board lol. Believe it or not, I'm also (at times) very criticial of Yankee moves/decisions/philosophies, lol. Never is anything peachy keen, there's always room for improvement.

I was just commenting about the lack of validity these results have in my mind. 63% of nothing = nothing, yet a couple of folks are claiming the outcome is definitive.
    I think itís representative of the views of active posters on this board, but is anybody really arguing that this poll is representative of Yankee fans as a whole? Wasnít part of the point just to show how variable/biased internet polls can be depending on who is polled?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    No one is saying that you cannot be critical of the team, GM, manager or players but it is astonishing how the same negative narrative gets beaten to death on a near daily basis. Like someone mentioned about Reddit which I do not follow I can say that the Facebook Yankee fans are not nearly as negative and are far more positive about the Gardy signing than this forum. It's borderline depressing to visit this forum. The more negative and hyperbolic you are, the bigger fan you are some how.
    I honestly don't understand the "excessive negativity" movement here. The day this place stops allowing a variety of people to express a broad range of opinions is the day I stop posting. As you can see publicly, I voted "yes" in this poll but that doesn't mean that a) everything is rainbows and unicorns or b) that people that have a more critical opinion than me are just trying to rain on anyone's parade. They are fans that want to see a winner, invest a ton of time and energy clearly into this team, and have every right to express their frustration with FO decisions they disagree with or players on-field or off-field performance.

I got accused of "excessive negativity" in the Andujar threads a few seasons ago during some ongoing debate around whether he would ever be adequate defensively at 3B. There was a lot of back and forth. I absolutely expect that the "excessive positivity" crew would have come back and "paged" me (as was done in the Gardner thread) to remind me that they were right and I was wrong. Which is fine. Totally ok admitting when I am wrong, and can appreciate a little good-humored ribbing. Self-deprication as a sports fan is cathartic if one is not wound super tight.

So I just went out and looked at a few Yankee fan pages on Facebook. They are as you describe - very positive. But at least the ones I've seen don't appear to be visited regularly by people that want to discuss the game and this team at the depth we have here. I don't come here for pom poms; I come here to learn from and debate with other passionate fans of the team. In fact, one of the things I miss about this place is some of the older personalities we had here that were NOT fans of the team. We still have some active Red Sox fans here that add a lot of value, but I miss a few of them that would talk a little trash. The occasional troll attempts can be entertaining IMHO.

I think this site is an excellent collection of fans, both in terms of acumen and in terms of personalities. It is pretty well moderated IMHO. And, rather than continually making passive-aggressive comments like is being done here, you can also self-moderate. Use the ignore function if a particular poster gets under anyone's skin. I know I'm on a few ignore lists of forumers here

Bringing it back... why is it necessary to be positive about the Gardner signing? I have been a Cashman supporter, I have been a huge Gardner booster for over a decade, I love this team... but I think that was absolutely a bad decision. Should I not post why I feel that way, and if someone responds can that dialogue not continue? Isn't that the whole point?

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    Do they explain in words why they like Gardner?
    Not really. Itís mostly people just writing different versions of ďGARDY PARTY!Ē an expression Iíve never heard before. Guess itís a Reddit thing.

NYYF Legend

The 60/40 in one direction or the other that youíll find here is a lot more realistic. And you get 10X better content with much better and more informed posters. This tight knit community is the best place thereís ever been online for Yankee and baseball discussion.
    I really agree with you here. That's why I read this board daily, and why I feel comfortable enough to post my thoughts.

I think it's fair to say that a 60-40 split who disapprove of Brian Cashman as a GM is very realistic for the fanbase as a whole. But IMO it doesn't sway me from my own opinion, which polls can sometimes do.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I honestly don't understand the "excessive negativity" movement here. The day this place stops allowing a variety of people to express a broad range of opinions is the day I stop posting. As you can see publicly, I voted "yes" in this poll but that doesn't mean that a) everything is rainbows and unicorns or b) that people that have a more critical opinion than me are just trying to rain on anyone's parade. They are fans that want to see a winner, invest a ton of time and energy clearly into this team, and have every right to express their frustration with FO decisions they disagree with or players on-field or off-field performance.

I got accused of "excessive negativity" in the Andujar threads a few seasons ago during some ongoing debate around whether he would ever be adequate defensively at 3B. There was a lot of back and forth. I absolutely expect that the "excessive positivity" crew would have come back and "paged" me (as was done in the Gardner thread) to remind me that they were right and I was wrong. Which is fine. Totally ok admitting when I am wrong, and can appreciate a little good-humored ribbing. Self-deprication as a sports fan is cathartic if one is not wound super tight.

So I just went out and looked at a few Yankee fan pages on Facebook. They are as you describe - very positive. But at least the ones I've seen don't appear to be visited regularly by people that want to discuss the game and this team at the depth we have here. I don't come here for pom poms; I come here to learn from and debate with other passionate fans of the team. In fact, one of the things I miss about this place is some of the older personalities we had here that were NOT fans of the team. We still have some active Red Sox fans here that add a lot of value, but I miss a few of them that would talk a little trash. The occasional troll attempts can be entertaining IMHO.

I think this site is an excellent collection of fans, both in terms of acumen and in terms of personalities. It is pretty well moderated IMHO. And, rather than continually making passive-aggressive comments like is being done here, you can also self-moderate. Use the ignore function if a particular poster gets under anyone's skin. I know I'm on a few ignore lists of forumers here

Bringing it back... why is it necessary to be positive about the Gardner signing? I have been a Cashman supporter, I have been a huge Gardner booster for over a decade, I love this team... but I think that was absolutely a bad decision. Should I not post why I feel that way, and if someone responds can that dialogue not continue? Isn't that the whole point?
    Excellent post. Excessive Negativity seems like a gray area. To me it's beating a dead horse as in repeating the same negative point over and over again thinking that if you wait a day or cross post in another thread it's a new point of view. As I said earlier does someone acting this way make them a bigger or better fan than someone who doesn't? Does complaining corelate to caring more than others?

I don't have anyone on ignore and don't want to have to go there. I don't expect Pom Poms but would expect that a fan forum of a team expected to win the AL would not be so depressing.

NYYF Legend

Not really. Itís mostly people just writing different versions of ďGARDY PARTY!Ē an expression Iíve never heard before. Guess itís a Reddit thing.
    That's John Sterling's HR call for Gardner and it's been said many times on YES.

NYYF Legend

Excellent post. Excessive Negativity seems like a gray area. To me it's beating a dead horse as in repeating the same negative point over and over again thinking that if you wait a day or cross post in another thread it's a new point of view. As I said earlier does someone acting this way make them a bigger or better fan than someone who doesn't? Does complaining corelate to caring more than others?

I don't have anyone on ignore and don't want to have to go there. I don't expect Pom Poms but would expect that a fan forum of a team expected to win the AL would not be so depressing.
    Agreed. It's definitely annoying when people keep bringing up the same thing over and over and over again. I just gloss over their post and move on with my life, but to each their own.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Everyone has their own posting style. 28 flavors, you're going to like some more than others.
    If you gotta a problem with Luis Cessa, you gotta a problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Everyone has their own posting style. 28 flavors, you're going to like some more than others.
    and I like you more than Cherry Garcia!
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

I’m not so quick to label posts or posters as “negative” as I see it get thrown around too much. This place is home to some of the most passionate and knowledgeable fans around offering a variety of experiences and views.

It may right now seem to have more of a cynical or extra critical vibe than before. Coming off another early postseason exit, in a series that contained a flurry of head scratching decisions, I think it’s fair to think that many fans no longer hold the rosey outlook we had for this organization that we did around 2017. We all want this team to succeed and we invest more time and energy into following their every move in detail. Look no further than the discussion around Gardner’s buy-out from last year, how and when it applies, and what the implications of it are. Very in depth and well researched info by a bunch of our friends there. This site is my central hub for everything baseball. I visit Trade Rumors, Fangraphs occasionally, and BRef when I want to look something up quick. But NYYF is my spot.

It’s also a much more civil place to shoot the crap with everybody than other corners of the ‘net. It’s way better than the over the top snarkiness of early 2000’s internet (remember Fire Joe Morgan?) Shout out to Matt and the moderating team for doing a thankless job.

You’d have to go back a while, but this board was brimming with positivity post—World Series 2009. Joe Girardi and Cashman were lauded for everything they did (Ninja Cash!) for a few years while that trophy was still shiny.

Maybe now it’s swung the other way. The internet has also changed over the last decade and Twitter, Reddit, etc are more popular. Back in the day the Joba and Hughes threads would go hundreds of pages. Now it’s a smaller community here. But a lot of people are tired of the team doing the same things over and over and getting the same results. We all want a winner. We’re Yankee fans dammit.

I think we are also a group here that skews a little older than those other platforms. We’ve lived through a lot more with this team than many of the younger fans on say R/NYYankees that I referenced earlier. They seem to be much more inline with the organization and far less critical. I can tell you that’s not what I’m looking for. Also if you post something that people disagree with there, your post can be “downvoted” and thus buried at the bottom of the page to be ignored. That format doesn’t really encourage discussions at all.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the rambling. I love this place, and disagreeing is ok! It’s what we are here for. We love the Yankees and want them to succeed. That’s what’s behind every single persons post! I just don’t want to see anybody leave the group over any of this. Everybody is a valued member.

That's John Sterling's HR call for Gardner and it's been said many times on YES.
    Ok thanks. Can’t say I remember hearing it on YES but I will take your word. Sterling, I love the man, love his smooth voice, but haven’t really listened to a radio broadcast since Suzyn joined. (I listen to the opposing booth with MLB At Bat when I can’t watch)

Iím not so quick to label posts or posters as ďnegativeĒ as I see it get thrown around too much. This place is home to some of the most passionate and knowledgeable fans around offering a variety of experiences and views.

It may right now seem to have more of a cynical or extra critical vibe than before. Coming off another early postseason exit, in a series that contained a flurry of head scratching decisions, I think itís fair to think that many fans no longer hold the rosey outlook we had for this organization that we did around 2017. We all want this team to succeed and we invest more time and energy into following their every move in detail. Look no further than the discussion around Gardnerís buy-out from last year, how and when it applies, and what the implications of it are. Very in depth and well researched info by a bunch of our friends there. This site is my central hub for everything baseball. I visit Trade Rumors, Fangraphs occasionally, and BRef when I want to look something up quick. But NYYF is my spot.

Itís also a much more civil place to shoot the crap with everybody than other corners of the Ďnet. Itís way better than the over the top snarkiness of early 2000ís internet (remember Fire Joe Morgan?) Shout out to Matt and the moderating team for doing a thankless job.

Youíd have to go back a while, but this board was brimming with positivity postóWorld Series 2009. Joe Girardi and Cashman were lauded for everything they did (Ninja Cash!) for a few years while that trophy was still shiny.

Maybe now itís swung the other way. The internet has also changed over the last decade and Twitter, Reddit, etc are more popular. Back in the day the Joba and Hughes threads would go hundreds of pages. Now itís a smaller community here. But a lot of people are tired of the team doing the same things over and over and getting the same results. We all want a winner. Weíre Yankee fans dammit.

I think we are also a group here that skews a little older than those other platforms. Weíve lived through a lot more with this team than many of the younger fans on say R/NYYankees that I referenced earlier. They seem to be much more inline with the organization and far less critical. I can tell you thatís not what Iím looking for. Also if you post something that people disagree with there, your post can be ďdownvotedĒ and thus buried at the bottom of the page to be ignored. That format doesnít really encourage discussions at all.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the rambling. I love this place, and disagreeing is ok! Itís what we are here for. We love the Yankees and want them to succeed. Thatís whatís behind every single persons post! I just donít want to see anybody leave the group over any of this. Everybody is a valued member.

Ok thanks. Canít say I remember hearing it on YES but I will take your word. Sterling, I love the man, love his smooth voice, but havenít really listened to a radio broadcast since Suzyn joined. (I listen to the opposing booth with MLB At Bat when I canít watch)
    Fire Joe Morgan was excellent. Pure snark, sure, but he was so damn good at it...

I can't think of any posters on this board that wouldn't admit there are things Cashman does well. Other than perhaps drafting, I think most agree on his strengths and weaknesses. Just 63% think the weaknesses are enough to be fired and 37% say they aren't.

My guess is posters there seem younger and Brett is the guy who has been there for their entire fandom.

I don't want to start that discussion here again but they see him as a franchise legend like Bernie or Jeter and the only reason I can see people thinking that is because they didn't actually see Bernie and Jeter's full career.

Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    I can't think of any posters on this board that wouldn't admit there are things Cashman does well. Other than perhaps drafting, I think most agree on his strengths and weaknesses. Just 63% think the weaknesses are enough to be fired and 37% say they aren't.
    Fair perspective I suppose but the chasm is greater than that IMO. Some subset of the 37% (myself included) believes he is nowhere near the line of being even considered to be fired. I consider him to be the best GM we've had (and there are many reasons why he could be the best but not have the highest championship win %) and amongst the best GMs in the game. That will probably seem like outlandish homer-ism to some but I think those closest to his role (our owners, other GMs, ...) would generally agree with me. I typically am very frustrated with my teams' GMs so my belief in him is not systemic of how I view the moves that all my team's make. I used to lose sleep over old Yankees' GMs making bad moves but, with Cashman, I lose no sleep. I used to be skeptical of Cashman'a free agent signings but I think he has gotten much better on that front (although there are certainly moves he didn't make which I think he should have - with Ryu being my most recent example).

I mean he's a good player, hardly ever injured so I can see why he's liked. On this board he's disliked because we have to have him since there's 3 other OFs who can't stay on the field.
    ďIt's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.Ē
    ― Epictetus

The veteran locker room leader thing annoys me. It’s just something thrown around because he’s been here a long time. Judge is the same age as Jeter was when he was named captain. According to Klapish’s book everyone looks up to Stanton (and CC when he was here). How many “leaders” can they really have?

He’s the last guy with a ring. He was a young part time player on that team. I don’t get why Gardner’s ardent supporters feel the need to inflate his accomplishments. If he was as great or important as they claim, they wouldn’t need to do that.

He’s been a solid, average to above average contributor. I’ve never denied that. But it’s been time to move on for a few years already.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    I mean he's a good player, hardly ever injured so I can see why he's liked. On this board he's disliked because we have to have him since there's 3 other OFs who can't stay on the field.
    But the options aren't Gardner or nothing. The options are Gardner vs an entire field of players that can be traded for or signed. Considering, 4th OFer on the Yankees is a full-time position, greater emphasis should have been placed on upgrading that position.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    But the options aren't Gardner or nothing. The options are Gardner vs an entire field of players that can be traded for or signed. Considering, 4th OFer on the Yankees is a full-time position, greater emphasis should have been placed on upgrading that position.
    The Yankees treatment of Gardner mystifies me. When he was younger, I did think he was a bit underappreciated, but I'm not clear how he morphed into a Jeter-type legacy player. Given the frailty of their OFs, I'm not clear why they don't cast a wider net to find a guy who could put up better numbers. I'm curious if they considered any second tier FAs, or thought about who someone like Andujar could bring back -- e.g., another player like him who doesn't quite fit on his current team, but could potentially blossom in the right situation?

Thread Information