+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: MLB vs MLBPA 2021 negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    This thread is about the labor negotiations, and the union is focused on increasing the revenue that goes to players, not creating loopholes for teams to keep salaries low.

I believe in the NBA, if a team doesn't hit the floor, they pay out the amount up to the floor to their players, which you could do in MLB also. I suspect the union would look for something like that if they want to a floor/ceiling paradigm. And I suspect teams like Oakland and Tampa would find ways to game that (e.g., taking on bad contracts to get prospects, etc.) to their advantage.
    The salary floor in the NBA is 90% of the salary cap.
    I’m not sure MLB Union would want a floor and a cap like that.
    The median team salary in MLB is $158 mil, the mean is $127mil. If that (the median)became the cap then the floor would be $142mil. A huge stretch for some teams and a huge decrease for others. I doubt if the union would go for it.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Or you could have an either/or clause in there. Teams that don't meet the salary floor AND don't meet some sort of team-based performance clause (e.g. at least one 81 win season in a two year span perhaps?) forfeit x% of their revenue share? And like the lux tax the first time your trip it the penalty kicks in and gets worse until you remedy it?

If a team can operate in that sweet spot where they don't overpay for talent but build a system where they can win (or at least not consistently have tanked seasons) then more power to them. But teams that simply don't want to invest and innovate cuz it's easier to sell of parts when they start getting expensive and collect their revenue sharing checks need a fire lit under them.
    Is it that teams simply donít want to invest? Or donít have the $ to invest. Iím in the market for a new car but Iím not buying a Bentley or Maserati because I canít afford it, not because I donít want to invest in it.

You bring up a good point about teams trading players who potentially are getting more expensive. The solution may be a salary cap so they can keep those players. But the Union shouldnít and wouldnít ever agree to that. The revenue sharing check is a rich teams way of paying off other teams in order to avoid a salary cap is my guess.

NYYF Legend

the union is focused on increasing the revenue that goes to players.
    What confuses me about this is why the union rejected the expanded playoffs, which would obviously increase revenue for the sport as a whole.

To me, it's more about winning and losing negotiations, which to me is very pig-headed and short-sighted by the union.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    The salary floor in the NBA is 90% of the salary cap.
    Iím not sure MLB Union would want a floor and a cap like that.
    The median team salary in MLB is $158 mil, the mean is $127mil. If that (the median)became the cap then the floor would be $142mil. A huge stretch for some teams and a huge decrease for others. I doubt if the union would go for it.
    I wasn't putting parameters on it - MLB and the union can do whatever they want, and it doesn't have to resemble the NBA. My point is, if the union negotiates and gets a floor, they aren't going to want it to be one that teams can get around - that's not in their interest.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    What confuses me about this is why the union rejected the expanded playoffs, which would obviously increase revenue for the sport as a whole.

To me, it's more about winning and losing negotiations, which to me is very pig-headed and short-sighted by the union.
    I'm not sure what the union's long term vision is here. The owners seem to be remaking the game and the union seems to be watching and occasionally dragging their heels, but not really having an impact.

NYYF Legend

The owners seem to be remaking the game and the union seems to be watching and occasionally dragging their heels, but not really having an impact.
    This is a good take. The age-old perception that both sides are all about greed and sharing/not sharing is probably true, but IMO the owners have more of a big-picture vision of how this game needs to evolve in order to revitalize it, whereas the players' union seems more concerned about the "now" and "what's in it for me?"

My guess is a very expensive staff of attorneys have to "coach" Tony Clark regularly to make sure future generations of ML ballplayers are being considered.

I don't think there's a right or wrong here - it's just the way things are.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Question is can an agreement be reached with no lockout or strike. Last time I really worried was in 2002.

I read MLBPA rejected expanded playoffs because they believed owners would have less incentive to spend on players salaries.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    I read MLBPA rejected expanded playoffs because they believed owners would have less incentive to spend on players salaries.
    I'm not understanding - please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    I don't remember hearing this, but it is a little surprising that something that doesn't radically extend the "work year" but that drives significantly more revenue into play didn't get worked out. I'm glad it didn't as a fan, but the player's union should have used this as a chip to get a larger share of the larger pool of revenues, which has been shrinking over time. Salaries have not kept up with revenue growth. Maybe they tried and just couldn't come to terms, dunno.

I'm not understanding - please explain.
    I think the theory is with expanded playoffs you the bar to get into the "crapshoot" is lowered, so you don't need to necessarily go gang-busters on salaries to get there. Maybe?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't remember hearing this, but it is a little surprising that something that doesn't radically extend the "work year" but that drives significantly more revenue into play didn't get worked out. I'm glad it didn't as a fan, but the player's union should have used this as a chip to get a larger share of the larger pool of revenues, which has been shrinking over time. Salaries have not kept up with revenue growth. Maybe they tried and just couldn't come to terms, dunno.

I think the theory is with expanded playoffs you the bar to get into the "crapshoot" is lowered, so you don't need to necessarily go gang-busters on salaries to get there. Maybe?

Man that seems like a reach and is an uncertain outcome, vs. the reality of increased revenues when all the organizations are screaming for them. If smaller market teams can increase their chances of making the playoffs and earning additional revenues, that helps all the players on those teams. The players' union could have easily negotiated for a larger slice of the revenues in exchange for the expanded playoff format, IMO.

NYYF Legend

There are players without jobs (i.e. Andujar & Bruce?) because the players' union didn't agree with the universal DH.

Just not understanding why this hasn't been agreed upon - can someone explain to me what the union gains by not adopting the universal DH this year?

So now we're going to have to worry when our pitchers have to bat in NL ballparks this season? As injury-prone as pitchers seem to be these days?

I just don't get it.

Thread Information