+ Reply to Thread
    Devoted Member

2020 Hal Steinbrenner Performance Thread

For those of you who are business analysts: what would be the implications of a John Henry IPO for the Red Sox and NOT ONE for Hal?

What would be the implications for the 2 teams and the game itself if both the Sox and Yankees went the I.P.O. route?

Does it all make any difference?

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/10/i...port-says.html

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Re: 2020 Hal Steinbrenner Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    For those of you who are business analysts: what would be the implications of a John Henry IPO for the Red Sox and NOT ONE for Hal?

What would be the implications for the 2 teams and the game itself if both the Sox and Yankees went the I.P.O. route?

Does it all make any difference?

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/10/i...port-says.html
    IPOs mean shareholders, which means profitability is the #1 priority. Let the Red Sox go this route. Best thing that can happen to the Yankees because it means the Sox will never cut into profits to field a better team.

If Steinbrenner follows suit with the Yankees, turn out the lights, the party is over... My 44+ years as a passionate fan of the Yankees and MLB will have come to an end.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    IPOs mean shareholders, which means profitability is the #1 priority. Let the Red Sox go this route. Best thing that can happen to the Yankees because it means the Sox will never cut into profits to field a better team.

If Steinbrenner follows suit with the Yankees, turn out the lights, the party is over... My 44+ years as a passionate fan of the Yankees and MLB will have come to an end.
    So this is basically all but guaranteed to be something Hal does in the future lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but long-term profits have always been the #1 objective of the Yankees, just as it is for every other business. They just had the insight that fielding a good team by buying the best players is an outstanding strategy to increase profits due to the size of the NYC market. Nobody in MLB has spent more money on players than the Yankees over the past 20 years, and no team has been more profitable. If 20% of the team is publicly traded, this will have minimal impact on anything as it is a non-controlling stake.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but long-term profits have always been the #1 objective of the Yankees, just as it is for every other business. They just had the insight that fielding a good team by buying the best players is an outstanding strategy to increase profits due to the size of the NYC market. Nobody in MLB has spent more money on players than the Yankees over the past 20 years, and no team has been more profitable. If 20% of the team is publicly traded, this will have minimal impact on anything as it is a non-controlling stake.
    I also question if the Yankees will trade like a normal stock. The Fenway sports group is a more diversified operation than whatever a Yankees IPO would look like, and I wonder how many fans would buy a piece and hold it just to own a piece of the Yankees. Maybe that's a faulty assumption, but ~20% would be about a $1 billion (maybe there are more assets that could be involved?) so in the greater scheme of things it's not going to be a huge public company.

That said, I agree that the Steinbrenners would still retain control of the team, so it probably wouldn't affect much.

Thread Information