+ Reply to Thread
Page 329 of 337 FirstFirst ... 229 279 319 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,225 of 8419
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    I swear to you when I had the page loaded before it was $142.2M for their total. Either way, my bad, thank you.

But that assumes $2M not $4M for Gardner (since his 2022 option price isn't known yet) and it has nothing for Wilson.
    The report for Gardnerís contract is $4 million guaranteed with a player option in the second year which makes it a two-year $4 million contract/$2M AAV.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    The report for Gardner’s contract is $4 million guaranteed with a player option in the second year which makes it a two-year $4 million contract/$2M AAV.
    But is it 4M guaranteed 2021 contract + 2022 player option, or 2021 contract + 2022 players option = 4m total?

That's where I'm unsure.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

The report for Gardner’s contract is $4 million guaranteed with a player option in the second year which makes it a two-year $4 million contract/$2M AAV.
    I think the AAV depends on the amount of the player option. Cot's is showing it as a $4 million 'estimated' AAV for 2021, meaning they don't have all the data yet either.
    Polite Red Sox fan

Fangraphs has 2021 at $4M too and the 2022 TBD. The player option has to be for some amount though. It can't be for zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    What if Gardner only spells Hicks once a week and Frazier plays every day. Will fans still be upset?
    I see about 0% odds of Gardner getting one start a week, so I think the question is moot... but playing along, yes.

Even if all the moons align and Gardner plays above his more recent production levels, and the new baseballs don't come back to bite him, and there are injuries where the 4OF role becomes more pronounced, etc... I think this move is a mistake for all the reasons I've mentioned. You'd only be adding a new one in this scenario, and that would be tying up $4MM in a guy getting what, 30 starts?

Quote Originally Posted by twsalso View Post
    What if Hicks doesn't play five days a week? What if Hicks spends three or four trips to the IR? What if Hicks bats .205?
    What if Britton's arm falls off and the Yankees need to acquire RP at the deadline?

We can do the what if game all day. The Yankees have depth in the OF and then some. Some of that depth has more ceiling than Gardner (now and especially down the road) and, importantly according to the way the team is run now, far less cost. Tauchman. Andujar. Gardner blocks them.

There were and remain other options if the concern is the health of one or more of the OF starters. Clinging on to veterans cuz "what if" or "they've earned it" prevents the team from learning what they have in terms of replacement value at a lower cost already in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    What if Britton's arm falls off and the Yankees need to acquire RP at the deadline?

We can do the what if game all day. The Yankees have depth in the OF and then some. Some of that depth has more ceiling than Gardner (now and especially down the road) and, importantly according to the way the team is run now, far less cost. Tauchman. Andujar. Gardner blocks them.

There were and remain other options if the concern is the health of one or more of the OF starters. Clinging on to veterans cuz "what if" or "they've earned it" prevents the team from learning what they have in terms of replacement value at a lower cost already in the system.
    Exactly. Plus the hope of ever getting Stanton back into the OF dwindles despite the fact that he's a solid OF defender and the DH providing no visible benefit to his health.

In the event that Hicks got injured and Tauchman was still second half 2020 Tauchman and not 2019/first half 2020 Tauchman, the team could always use Florial or Tauchman for defense and shift Judge or Frazier over to CF when they're behind and need to pinch hit. As much as I don't like to even think about it Wade can technically play OF if absolutely needed. Plus I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to acquire a half-way decent CF like Tim Locastro another guy Cash had in the system but gave away because he was clinging onto 40 man spots for guys he would later lose for nothing anyway. And this is all in worst case scenarios, we're not even thinking about if things actually go somewhat close to as expected or better.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    But is it 4M guaranteed 2021 contract + 2022 player option, or 2021 contract + 2022 players option = 4m total?

That's where I'm unsure.
    Jon Heyman has reported $4M guaranteed with player and team options for 2022. Since any dollars associated with the player option (and the year) are deemed guaranteed under the CBA, I assume those dollars are included in the guaranteed salary that he is reporting.

We really wonít know until the contract is announced, but at the moment thatís the best info I have seen.

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Who were they bidding against? I ask again.
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

NYYF Legend

Jon Heyman has reported $4M guaranteed with player and team options for 2022. Since any dollars associated with the player option (and the year) are deemed guaranteed under the CBA, I assume those dollars are included in the guaranteed salary that he is reporting.

We really wonít know until the contract is announced, but at the moment thatís the best info I have seen.
    Heyman also said:

@JonHeyman

Brett Gardner can make close to $11M over 2 years if the Yankees pick up the 2nd year option
    I think 4M will be the 2021 contract guarantee excluding the 2022 player option. We'll see.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Gardy, 2 years 5.15 million. Player and club option. 1.15 mil buy out

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/sta...556235272?s=21

NYYF Cy Young

Couldíve had the far more interesting / more upside David Dahl for that kind of money
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post

Straight up bidding against ourselves.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Straight up bidding against ourselves.
    Nobody can out fox Cashman.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Built-in discipline
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post

Wait wait wait... what if he DOESN'T decline, but rather picks up that player option... which if he gets injured or just outright sucks he may choose to do? The way I'm reading this, the Yankees can only exercise their team buyout if Gardner declines his player option first.

Brett Gardner's deal with the #Yankees is official. It's a a two-year, $5.15 million contract. He will earn $1.85 million in 2021 with a $1 million signing bonus. He has a $2.3 million player option for 2022. If he declines, Yankees have a $7.15M option with a $1.15M buyout.
    If this is the case, unless Gardner has a really strong season the Yankees have tied up a roster spot for '22 as well, unless they're willing to bite the bullet and just DFA the guy that "deserved" a send off in front of fans. Even at $2.3MM I'm not sure the Yankees would just cut him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    The Yankees have depth in the OF and then some. Some of that depth has more ceiling than Gardner (now and especially down the road) and, importantly according to the way the team is run now, far less cost. Tauchman. Andujar. Gardner blocks them.

Very well said. I don't know why this isn't acknowledged by the organization. Surely, they're not blind to it, if I can even see it!

I really would love for them to get Dustin Fowler back - he was just DFA'd by the A's yesterday.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    According to MLBTR : " Outfielder Brett Gardner re-signed with the Yankees for a $5.15MM guarantee, but at least a few other teams considered prying him out of New York. The Braves, Angels and Blue Jays all showed interest in Gardner during his long stay in free agency, per Heyman. "
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

I believe a straight up player option is considered guaranteed money by the CBA for tax purposes. But if it is a mutual player/team option, which I think it is, where both sides must decide to pick up the option, then I do not believe it is guaranteed.. In that case, only the buyout (I read it was 1.15 M) would be considered guaranteed unless the option gets picked up by both parties..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I believe a straight up player option is considered guaranteed money by the CBA for tax purposes. But if it is a mutual player/team option, which I think it is, where both sides must decide to pick up the option, then I do not believe it is guaranteed.. In that case, only the buyout (I read it was 1.15 M) would be considered guaranteed unless the option gets picked up by both parties..
    Except it is not a mutual option. In a mutual option, both parties have to say yes to the same deal.

Gardner has an option for his decision on 2022 at $2.3M. If he declines, the Yankees can retain his services at $7.15M or decline that option and pay him a buyout of $1.15M.

So 2 years/$5.15M/$2.575M AAV.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    This one doesn't look like a mutual option. Gardner has a player option. If he declines it, the Yankees have a team option.

The bottom line is he's guaranteed $5.15 million. The AAV therefore is $2.575 million per year.

The fun part is figuring out what happens if all options are declined at the end of 2021. It looks like in that case Gardner would get a total of $4 million for one season, and the AAV for 2021 would be adjusted to that.
    Polite Red Sox fan

NYYF Legend

Didn't Brett also get paid $2.5M when the Yanks declined the option?

So I guess his total pay for 2021 will be $7.65M as opposed to the $10M contract that was bought out?

$7.65M should get him about 300 ABs/80 games? That would be my guess.
    That's only about $90K per game, as opposed to the approximate $1M Gerrit Cole makes every game he starts.

The $2.35M savings went to Darryl O'Day, who will help Clarke Schmidt pace himself throughout his career.

lol good job of getting bang for the buck!
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Didn't Brett also get paid $2.5M when the Yanks declined the option?

So I guess his total pay for 2021 will be $7.65M as opposed to the $10M contract that was bought out?
    If he retires after 2021, he would get $4 million plus the $2.5 million for $6.5 million.
    Polite Red Sox fan

NYYF Legend

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/baseb...tyler-clippard

Clippard signs with the DBacks for Brett Gardner money. He is still carving out a lengthy ML career at age 36 now.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/baseb...tyler-clippard

Clippard signs with the DBacks for Brett Gardner money. He is still carving out a lengthy ML career at age 36 now.
    The Big Red Dog!!!
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

Thread Information