Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...2021-and-more/

Everyone is a FA this morning at 9am...
    ...but Option deadline is October 30
    November 1 is date to offer qualifying offers
    November 1 also ends the 5 day exclusive window with former team
    November 11 is last day to accept QO
    November 20 last day to add players to 40 man to avoid rule 5 draft.
    So Yankees have 5 days to sign DJ with no competition. Of course Cashman will wait and not make an offer.

Re: 2020-2021 offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    If he were a cab driver a laborer ect i wouldn't care.If he plays for a team i root for i do. IMO he projects an appearance that screams self and not team. The Yankees project an all about team professional appearance. Personal choice i guess.
    When you get up in the morning do you make your bed even though you will sleep in it just hrs after getting about your day? Who will see the bed isn't made? Who cares? But you probably do.
    But again, no one has addressed the central issue - why is long hair unprofessional? What about it is unprofessional? Are women with long hair unprofessional? You do understand that thinking long hair on men is "unprofessional" or rebellious or transgressive is a recent phenomenon, right? Check out American soldiers in the Civil War, for example. Here is an article discussing Civil War beards: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-in-one-chart/
    Last edited by matt2351; 10-28-20 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    A lot of options will be declined between now and Friday making them FAs, but teams still have exclusive negotitating rights through October 31.
    FA signings can begin on 11/1
    Thanks for clarification

Daniel Murphy”s option was declined so I’m guessing Cashman will go after him ASAP, he likes MVP types

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    But again, no one has addressed the central issue - why is long hair unprofessional? What about it is unprofessional? Are women with long hair unprofessional? You do understand that thinking long hair on men is "unprofessional" or rebellious or transgressive is a recent phenomenon, right? Check out American soldiers in the Civil War, for example. Here is an article discussing Civil War beards.
    I don't think long hair is unprofessional, nor are beards. What I personally don't want is a team that looks like the 2013 Red Sox where you can see bits of what they ate the week prior in their beards. They could probably loosen things up but I'd prefer they not eliminate entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So Yankees have 5 days to sign DJ with no competition. Of course Cashman will wait and not make an offer.
    And DJ has every right to say, " I'm going to wait and try total free agency in 5 days."
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't think long hair is unprofessional, nor are beards. What I personally don't want is a team that looks like the 2013 Red Sox where you can see bits of what they ate the week prior in their beards. They could probably loosen things up but I'd prefer they not eliminate entirely.
    2013 Red Sox won the WS. The 2013 Yankees finished 85-77 and in 3rd place in their division. I'll take those true big hairy monsters 10/10 over the "clean-cut" Yankees. Again, I am not saying there is direct relation between the Yankees policies and their lack of success, but I do think the style of thinking it represents is a big part of the problem.

NYYF Legend

Yeah, but last week’s food? They’re from New England. That could be chowder caught in those crumb catchers.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Yeah, but last week’s food? They’re from New England. That could be chowder caught in those crumb catchers.

NYYF Legend

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Kluber as a bounce back candidate if the price is right.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Wow, Indians place Hand on outright waivers.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Wow, Indians place Hand on outright waivers.
    Would Cashman pick up Hand and then let Britton go?

lol, Tony LaRussa

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Would Cashman pick up Hand and then let Britton go?
    He absolutely should.

Or claim Hand, re sign Britton and trade Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by HughesIsNasty View Post
    He absolutely should.

This is the route I would take. LAD might need a new closer.

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    lol, Tony LaRussa
    Will the White Sox DH bat 8th every game?
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

lol, Tony LaRussa
    Chosen as White Sox manager. Interesting move. Perhaps an overcorrection against the automaton managers?

NYYF Legend

We played this more than we did TecmoBowl back in college and the immediate afterlife.

“Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HughesIsNasty View Post
    He absolutely should.

I think Chapman has a NTC.

Hand and O’Day both declined on what seem like reasonable options. I’m not sure trading Britton or Chapman is an option in this market.

lol, Tony LaRussa
    I had hoped baseball was done with him as a manager. Can you imagine him with a 14 man pitching staff?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Tradition is a tough topic and I don't want to veer into the political here and have to suspend myself.

I will try to address this as best as I can, while trying to leave political philosophy out of the discussion. I am by no means a spring chicken, but I am on the younger side for our community. I have many friends in the generation just below mine and being a parent of a 9-year-old and a teacher, I spend a lot of time around younger folks. In my experience (and I believe data corroborates my anecdotal experience), younger generations do not love what they view as arbitrary rules. They generally are very open-minded when it comes to individual expression and they tend to look at attempts to curtail this expression as stodgy and representative of antiquated ideas. Let me try to concretize this - I don't think any of the folks here supporting the Yankees' policies would say that long hair on a woman is unprofessional, unserious, or any of the other things that have been said in this discussion. So, the issue isn't the hair length, it's a convention. That is the type of thing that doesn't map well with the younger demographics.

Additionally, let's try to remember when GSM III instituted the policy and what he might have been reacting to historically. We can look at other points of history when long hair on men conveyed high status and wasn't seen as unconventional and rebellious as it was in the wake of the 1960s. Fashion tends to not be static and what is considered rebellious now was once not considered as such.

I am not sure if that helped or made things more confusing, but I am finding this discussion stimulating.
    You can call me old fashioned (but these beliefs came before I was old) but women look incredible with long hair, men not so much. There are exceptions to this rule. I grew up with 80's hair metal. Loved the music, was confused by the look.

So it sounds like I'm sort of a little older than you, but your take on kids has always been like that. They don't (kind of a minority) want to conform to a certain look. You got the goths, punks, tattooed, pierced, funky dressing kids that just want to be different. There's still tons of kids that don't think long hair is cool.

I mean this is baseball, it doesn't typically attract kids that would be into the NBA style. No?

Personally at this point I don't really care how someone wants to rep theirselves. I keep my mouth shut at the risk of being outcast. That said I still like the professional look of the NYY. I wouldn't have cared if Jeter had hair down to his ankles and 2 sleeves of tattoos. It's just not something I'd do and maybe that's what it comes down to, people tend to gravitate toward like mindedness.

Not sure if that made any sense.
    “It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.”
    ― Epictetus

NYYF Legend

One more point on long hair in baseball. Some guys can rock it while others can't. Dustin May looks like a clown on LSD while the pitcher his look is compared to, Noah Syndergaard, looks like Thor.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Hand and O’Day both declined on what seem like reasonable options. I’m not sure trading Britton or Chapman is an option in this market.
    And, completely ignoring the market, Yankees pick up Britton’s option.

NYYF Legend

But again, no one has addressed the central issue - why is long hair unprofessional? What about it is unprofessional? Are women with long hair unprofessional? You do understand that thinking long hair on men is "unprofessional" or rebellious or transgressive is a recent phenomenon, right? Check out American soldiers in the Civil War, for example. Here is an article discussing Civil War beards: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-in-one-chart/
    We are products of our upbringing and life experience. I until about 15-16 years old had a crew cut mandated by my father. We were made to believe long hair was for bums and hippies. Yes, it's false but I still have it ingrained in me that a well groomed individual appears more professional.

Thread Information