+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 203 FirstFirst ... 40 80 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 100 140 190 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 5073
  1. #2226
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    With Higashioka looking like the safer everyday option, the right move is probably to non-tender Sanchez. Although if we do that, some other team (the Mets?) will likely swoop in and gamble on his upside. If it means an upgrade to our pitching, then so be it.

    Romine would be an obvious option to bring back and pair with Higgy. After a poor 2020, he could probably be had for next to nothing.
    Boone said people were blind to what Sanchez has done well this past season. On a side note, he didnt elaborate on what those things are.

  2. #2227
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    I'm still mad they didnt sign Morton for a 1 year $15M deal. ONE YEAR.
    If they're not willing to do that, they're not going to spend on the rotation.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  3. #2228

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I'm still mad they didnt sign Morton for a 1 year $15M deal. ONE YEAR.
    If they're not willing to do that, they're not going to spend on the rotation.

    Morton only wanted to play for the Marlins, Rays or Braves and said he would retire otherwise.


    Nothing the Yankees could do. He wanted to stay in the southeast for his family.

  4. #2229
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Boone said people were blind to what Sanchez has done well this past season. On a side note, he didnt elaborate on what those things are.
    Jim Bowden thinks Gary calls a good game. I disagree with Jim Bowden.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  5. #2230

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ag3 View Post
    Morton only wanted to play for the Marlins, Rays or Braves and said he would retire otherwise.


    Nothing the Yankees could do. He wanted to stay in the southeast for his family.
    Even if that weren't true, it is possible they just didn't like Morton. I mean he is 37 and has had 2 good years in his career, and last year wasn't one of them. It's not inconceivable they saw something that made them not want to make that deal. We kind of have to wait until we see the finished product before we criticize each choice.

  6. #2231

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Boone said people were blind to what Sanchez has done well this past season. On a side note, he didnt elaborate on what those things are.
    You have to read the full quote. For some reason, a lot of the news sites cut it off:

    “But we understand that Gary is a major talent, and while he struggled in certain areas, he’s also made amazing strides in certain areas,” Boone said. “Like with all our players, it’s important that we continue to develop (Sanchez) to be the player that so many of us believe he can be.”

    Boone recalled, "A lot of players ignored the threat of COVID and didn't really take safety seriously this year. But not Gary. He was so committed to keeping this team healthy that he almost never stayed with the team any longer than necessary. I don't think I once saw him within 6 feet of any of the members of our pitching staff outside of games." Boone continued, "He also put the team first with his un-selfish approach at the plate. By intentionally focusing on only hitting the ball out of the park and avoiding base hits and walks at all costs, he was able to minimize the amount of time he spent near players on the opposing team. Sanchez sacrificed his statistical line, but may have saved a few lives around here."
    EDIT: This is not a real Boone quote.....

  7. #2232
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    You can take all those guys out, and the Yankees would still be near the top. Should they have traded Juan Soto? Should the Rays trade Wander Franco?


    Just speculation. It isn't going to happen.

    With all due respect, I don't believe you have proven this case.

  8. #2233
    All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    You have to read the full quote. For some reason, a lot of the news sites cut it off:
    So basically, Boone is saying the criticism towards Sanchez is unwarranted because he knew how to socially distance like a mature adult?

    That forgives a .147 BA to go along with some of the worst defense in the game? I swear, this organization makes it hard to root for them at times...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  9. #2234
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    So basically, Boone is saying the criticism towards Sanchez is unwarranted because he knew how to socially distance like a mature adult?

    That forgives a .147 BA to go along with some of the worst defense in the game? I swear, this organization makes it hard to root for them at times...
    I think that quote has to be sarcasm, no? Boone could not have actually said that, could he?

  10. #2235

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think that quote has to be sarcasm, no? Boone could not have actually said that, could he?
    I thought that was obvious. Added a disclaimer.

  11. #2236
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    I thought that was obvious. Added a disclaimer...

    The fact that it needed a disclaimer (and I agree that it did) speaks volumes about how many fans view the Yankees' communications with fans.

  12. #2237

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ag3 View Post
    Morton only wanted to play for the Marlins, Rays or Braves and said he would retire otherwise.


    Nothing the Yankees could do. He wanted to stay in the southeast for his family.
    This.

  13. #2238
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Boone said people were blind to what Sanchez has done well this past season. On a side note, he didnt elaborate on what those things are.
    I did not go back but I agree with Michael Kay comments. For me this the manager, Boone. He defended Sanchez last year (working hard, ABs, etc). Joe G did the same thing with his players but I felt Joe G and Tony P were great coaches for Sanchez and had his best years. If I remember, Joe G was criticized for being too hard on Gary. It is just time for me to move on and go with Higgy as our SC (a big surprise and earned it) but get a solid BUC for 1-2M. Sanchez may be another damaged player like Sonny Grey (playing at home, make him into a power pitcher, more FBs - FYI Reds are listening to offers)

    I wish we replaced Boone with Hinch.

  14. #2239

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I did not go back but I agree with Michael Kay comments. For me this the manager, Boone. He defended Sanchez last year (working hard, ABs, etc). Joe G did the same thing with his players but I felt Joe G and Tony P were great coaches for Sanchez and had his best years. If I remember, Joe G was criticized for being too hard on Gary. It is just time for me to move on and go with Higgy as our SC (a big surprise and earned it) but get a solid BUC for 1-2M. Sanchez may be another damaged player like Sonny Grey (playing at home, make him into a power pitcher, more FBs - FYI Reds are listening to offers)

    I wish we replaced Boone with Hinch.

    We used to have one of the best BUC in the game, if you recall he was thrashed consistently by several posters.

  15. #2240
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    Even if that weren't true, it is possible they just didn't like Morton. I mean he is 37 and has had 2 good years in his career, and last year wasn't one of them. It's not inconceivable they saw something that made them not want to make that deal. We kind of have to wait until we see the finished product before we criticize each choice.
    So what you seem to be saying is "if Morton winds up with a good year, then the Yanks messed up by not signing him, but if he has a bad year, they were smart to pass" ??

    The sentence I bold-faced is is an interesting concept in itself. It seems to me the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd doesn't wait to see the finished product, or even a bigger picture. They critique each decision based on what their own decision would be at the time - which is fine, for a forum like this.

    For example:

    Some folks don't think Gleyber Torres should be a long-term Yankee. But @ age 24, is he a "finished product"?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  16. #2241
    NYYF Cy Young

    Roberto Kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Jim Bowden thinks Gary calls a good game. I disagree with Jim Bowden.
    As does G Cole
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

  17. #2242

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    It looks like the Mets will be the Kings of the offseason. Their front office are the only ones to signal that they are willing to spend.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

  18. #2243

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    It looks like the Mets will be the Kings of the offseason. Their front office are the only ones to signal that they are willing to spend.
    Cashman is operating in stealth mode.

  19. #2244
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    We used to have one of the best BUC in the game, if you recall he was thrashed consistently by several posters.

    If Jeter got trashed - what can I say. My favorite was Jose Molina, BUC to Posada (hurt) and got a ring with us in 2009 (I am not going there). "I was glad to have hit the first home run in this park. God only knows who will hit the last." At one time we have 3 great catchers (Berra, Howard, Blanchard, Gonder) I live in the past.

    https://vault.si.com/vault/1961/06/0...ll-of-catchers

    Romine should have got a raised but somhow got less money following his best year with us (peanuts). Complete 100% turn around on Higgy. I do like Higgy but don't know if a long term solution.

  20. #2245

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Jim Bowden thinks Gary calls a good game. I disagree with Jim Bowden.
    Does vary call the game, or does someone on the bench?

  21. #2246

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    So what you seem to be saying is "if Morton winds up with a good year, then the Yanks messed up by not signing him, but if he has a bad year, they were smart to pass" ??

    The sentence I bold-faced is is an interesting concept in itself. It seems to me the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd doesn't wait to see the finished product, or even a bigger picture. They critique each decision based on what their own decision would be at the time - which is fine, for a forum like this.

    For example:

    Some folks don't think Gleyber Torres should be a long-term Yankee. But @ age 24, is he a "finished product"?
    By the finished product I don't mean what Morton winds up being in 2021, but I mean the finished Yankees team. They one they go into spring training with.

    For instance (they aren't going to) but maybe they sign Bauer and that move wouldn't have been possible if they signed Morton. That would certainly put passing up on Morton in a different context.

    You can criticize a decision that was made at the time based on the information at hand. I'm certainly not a huge Morton fan but I am a fan of 1 year contracts. But right now we have no idea what the Yankees will spend this off-season nor who they will spend it on and both are key to judging if passing on Morton was a good decision.

  22. #2247
    NYYF MVP

    Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Elsewhere

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    If Jeter got trashed - what can I say. My favorite was Jose Molina, BUC to Posada (hurt) and got a ring with us in 2009 (I am not going there). "I was glad to have hit the first home run in this park. God only knows who will hit the last." At one time we have 3 great catchers (Berra, Howard, Blanchard, Gonder) I live in the past.

    https://vault.si.com/vault/1961/06/0...ll-of-catchers

    Romine should have got a raised but somhow got less money following his best year with us (peanuts). Complete 100% turn around on Higgy. I do like Higgy but don't know if a long term solution.
    On the passage I boldfaced, above: you could do a lot worse than to "live in the past."

  23. #2248
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    By the finished product I don't mean what Morton winds up being in 2021, but I mean the finished Yankees team. They one they go into spring training with.

    For instance (they aren't going to) but maybe they sign Bauer and that move wouldn't have been possible if they signed Morton. That would certainly put passing up on Morton in a different context.

    You can criticize a decision that was made at the time based on the information at hand. I'm certainly not a huge Morton fan but I am a fan of 1 year contracts. But right now we have no idea what the Yankees will spend this off-season nor who they will spend it on and both are key to judging if passing on Morton was a good decision.
    This is a good post. Thanks from clarifying. I agree with you. The OP was labeling the Yankees for not ante-ing up for Morton, which is totally unknown right now. You put it in it's proper perspective.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  24. #2249

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kyace View Post
    Some rumblings in St. Louis that Flaherty should be available for trade. Irritated lots of Cards fans with his leadership in MLB BLM movement. Cards ownership very conservative and so is the fan base. Hes in first year of arb and seems has indicated no interest in an extension at this point. Cards strength is in their pitching but their offense was pathetic.
    I don't see it at least not this year, but I'd be all over that if they were serious.

  25. #2250
    I.P. Standing Krall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In the middle of New York

    Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    So basically, Boone is saying the criticism towards Sanchez is unwarranted because he knew how to socially distance like a mature adult?

    That forgives a .147 BA to go along with some of the worst defense in the game? I swear, this organization makes it hard to root for them at times...
    You forget why Boone is here. He's here to be Mr. Rogers and make this team his neighborhood.
    It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.
    ― Epictetus

Thread Information

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts