+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 203 FirstFirst ... 40 80 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 100 140 190 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 5073
    Calls a tool a tool

Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    With Higashioka looking like the safer everyday option, the right move is probably to non-tender Sanchez. Although if we do that, some other team (the Mets?) will likely swoop in and gamble on his upside. If it means an upgrade to our pitching, then so be it.

Romine would be an obvious option to bring back and pair with Higgy. After a poor 2020, he could probably be had for next to nothing.
    Boone said people were blind to what Sanchez has done well this past season. On a side note, he didnt elaborate on what those things are.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I'm still mad they didnt sign Morton for a 1 year $15M deal. ONE YEAR.
    If they're not willing to do that, they're not going to spend on the rotation.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I'm still mad they didnt sign Morton for a 1 year $15M deal. ONE YEAR.
    If they're not willing to do that, they're not going to spend on the rotation.

Morton only wanted to play for the Marlins, Rays or Braves and said he would retire otherwise.

Nothing the Yankees could do. He wanted to stay in the southeast for his family.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Boone said people were blind to what Sanchez has done well this past season. On a side note, he didnt elaborate on what those things are.
    Jim Bowden thinks Gary calls a good game. I disagree with Jim Bowden.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by ag3 View Post
    Morton only wanted to play for the Marlins, Rays or Braves and said he would retire otherwise.

Nothing the Yankees could do. He wanted to stay in the southeast for his family.
    Even if that weren't true, it is possible they just didn't like Morton. I mean he is 37 and has had 2 good years in his career, and last year wasn't one of them. It's not inconceivable they saw something that made them not want to make that deal. We kind of have to wait until we see the finished product before we criticize each choice.

You have to read the full quote. For some reason, a lot of the news sites cut it off:

“But we understand that Gary is a major talent, and while he struggled in certain areas, he’s also made amazing strides in certain areas,” Boone said. “Like with all our players, it’s important that we continue to develop (Sanchez) to be the player that so many of us believe he can be.”

Boone recalled, "A lot of players ignored the threat of COVID and didn't really take safety seriously this year. But not Gary. He was so committed to keeping this team healthy that he almost never stayed with the team any longer than necessary. I don't think I once saw him within 6 feet of any of the members of our pitching staff outside of games." Boone continued, "He also put the team first with his un-selfish approach at the plate. By intentionally focusing on only hitting the ball out of the park and avoiding base hits and walks at all costs, he was able to minimize the amount of time he spent near players on the opposing team. Sanchez sacrificed his statistical line, but may have saved a few lives around here."
    EDIT: This is not a real Boone quote.....

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    You can take all those guys out, and the Yankees would still be near the top. Should they have traded Juan Soto? Should the Rays trade Wander Franco?

Just speculation. It isn't going to happen.

With all due respect, I don't believe you have proven this case.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

You have to read the full quote. For some reason, a lot of the news sites cut it off:
    So basically, Boone is saying the criticism towards Sanchez is unwarranted because he knew how to socially distance like a mature adult?

That forgives a .147 BA to go along with some of the worst defense in the game? I swear, this organization makes it hard to root for them at times...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    So basically, Boone is saying the criticism towards Sanchez is unwarranted because he knew how to socially distance like a mature adult?

That forgives a .147 BA to go along with some of the worst defense in the game? I swear, this organization makes it hard to root for them at times...
    I think that quote has to be sarcasm, no? Boone could not have actually said that, could he?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think that quote has to be sarcasm, no? Boone could not have actually said that, could he?
    I thought that was obvious. Added a disclaimer.

I thought that was obvious. Added a disclaimer...

The fact that it needed a disclaimer (and I agree that it did) speaks volumes about how many fans view the Yankees' communications with fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ag3 View Post

This.

NYYF Triple Crown

I did not go back but I agree with Michael Kay comments. For me this the manager, Boone. He defended Sanchez last year (working hard, ABs, etc). Joe G did the same thing with his players but I felt Joe G and Tony P were great coaches for Sanchez and had his best years. If I remember, Joe G was criticized for being too hard on Gary. It is just time for me to move on and go with Higgy as our SC (a big surprise and earned it) but get a solid BUC for 1-2M. Sanchez may be another damaged player like Sonny Grey (playing at home, make him into a power pitcher, more FBs - FYI Reds are listening to offers)

I wish we replaced Boone with Hinch.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I did not go back but I agree with Michael Kay comments. For me this the manager, Boone. He defended Sanchez last year (working hard, ABs, etc). Joe G did the same thing with his players but I felt Joe G and Tony P were great coaches for Sanchez and had his best years. If I remember, Joe G was criticized for being too hard on Gary. It is just time for me to move on and go with Higgy as our SC (a big surprise and earned it) but get a solid BUC for 1-2M. Sanchez may be another damaged player like Sonny Grey (playing at home, make him into a power pitcher, more FBs - FYI Reds are listening to offers)

I wish we replaced Boone with Hinch.

We used to have one of the best BUC in the game, if you recall he was thrashed consistently by several posters.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    Even if that weren't true, it is possible they just didn't like Morton. I mean he is 37 and has had 2 good years in his career, and last year wasn't one of them. It's not inconceivable they saw something that made them not want to make that deal. We kind of have to wait until we see the finished product before we criticize each choice.
    So what you seem to be saying is "if Morton winds up with a good year, then the Yanks messed up by not signing him, but if he has a bad year, they were smart to pass" ??

The sentence I bold-faced is is an interesting concept in itself. It seems to me the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd doesn't wait to see the finished product, or even a bigger picture. They critique each decision based on what their own decision would be at the time - which is fine, for a forum like this.

For example:

Some folks don't think Gleyber Torres should be a long-term Yankee. But @ age 24, is he a "finished product"?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    As does G Cole
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

It looks like the Mets will be the Kings of the offseason. Their front office are the only ones to signal that they are willing to spend.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    It looks like the Mets will be the Kings of the offseason. Their front office are the only ones to signal that they are willing to spend.
    Cashman is operating in stealth mode.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    We used to have one of the best BUC in the game, if you recall he was thrashed consistently by several posters.

If Jeter got trashed - what can I say. My favorite was Jose Molina, BUC to Posada (hurt) and got a ring with us in 2009 (I am not going there). "I was glad to have hit the first home run in this park. God only knows who will hit the last." At one time we have 3 great catchers (Berra, Howard, Blanchard, Gonder) I live in the past.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1961/06/0...ll-of-catchers

Romine should have got a raised but somhow got less money following his best year with us (peanuts). Complete 100% turn around on Higgy. I do like Higgy but don't know if a long term solution.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Does vary call the game, or does someone on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    So what you seem to be saying is "if Morton winds up with a good year, then the Yanks messed up by not signing him, but if he has a bad year, they were smart to pass" ??

The sentence I bold-faced is is an interesting concept in itself. It seems to me the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd doesn't wait to see the finished product, or even a bigger picture. They critique each decision based on what their own decision would be at the time - which is fine, for a forum like this.

For example:

Some folks don't think Gleyber Torres should be a long-term Yankee. But @ age 24, is he a "finished product"?
    By the finished product I don't mean what Morton winds up being in 2021, but I mean the finished Yankees team. They one they go into spring training with.

For instance (they aren't going to) but maybe they sign Bauer and that move wouldn't have been possible if they signed Morton. That would certainly put passing up on Morton in a different context.

You can criticize a decision that was made at the time based on the information at hand. I'm certainly not a huge Morton fan but I am a fan of 1 year contracts. But right now we have no idea what the Yankees will spend this off-season nor who they will spend it on and both are key to judging if passing on Morton was a good decision.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    If Jeter got trashed - what can I say. My favorite was Jose Molina, BUC to Posada (hurt) and got a ring with us in 2009 (I am not going there). "I was glad to have hit the first home run in this park. God only knows who will hit the last." At one time we have 3 great catchers (Berra, Howard, Blanchard, Gonder) I live in the past.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1961/06/0...ll-of-catchers

Romine should have got a raised but somhow got less money following his best year with us (peanuts). Complete 100% turn around on Higgy. I do like Higgy but don't know if a long term solution.
    On the passage I boldfaced, above: you could do a lot worse than to "live in the past."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    By the finished product I don't mean what Morton winds up being in 2021, but I mean the finished Yankees team. They one they go into spring training with.

For instance (they aren't going to) but maybe they sign Bauer and that move wouldn't have been possible if they signed Morton. That would certainly put passing up on Morton in a different context.

You can criticize a decision that was made at the time based on the information at hand. I'm certainly not a huge Morton fan but I am a fan of 1 year contracts. But right now we have no idea what the Yankees will spend this off-season nor who they will spend it on and both are key to judging if passing on Morton was a good decision.
    This is a good post. Thanks from clarifying. I agree with you. The OP was labeling the Yankees for not ante-ing up for Morton, which is totally unknown right now. You put it in it's proper perspective.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by kyace View Post
    Some rumblings in St. Louis that Flaherty should be available for trade. Irritated lots of Cards fans with his leadership in MLB BLM movement. Cards ownership very conservative and so is the fan base. Hes in first year of arb and seems has indicated no interest in an extension at this point. Cards strength is in their pitching but their offense was pathetic.
    I don't see it at least not this year, but I'd be all over that if they were serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post

You forget why Boone is here. He's here to be Mr. Rogers and make this team his neighborhood.
    It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.
    ― Epictetus

Thread Information