+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 91 FirstFirst ... 27 67 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2273
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Michael Kay was on with Chris Russo today and brought up the idea of converting Chapman back to a SP since that is what he came up as. He added Yankees are short on pitching and he doesn't dial it up to103 anymore. He has a FB, slider and a change up. He said they would have to add to their BP if they do it but Britton can close.

Thoughts?
    I think his command is too erratic to be a starter. And even if he’s not hitting 103, he’s still more likely to get away with missing his location at 99 - 100 than he would at 95 - 96.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The window of opportunity for the current Yankee, IMO, is not more than a few seasons thus my “win now” attitude.
    The great thing about being a Yankee fan IMO is that there will always be a window of opportunity. Gone are the days of the 80's and early 90's when the organization was more about having big names to draw the crowds and no thought given to how each player fit into any sort of window of opportunity.

You're correct - the current window of opportunity seems to be dwindling, at least in our minds.

But I believe current ownership and management have proven that they are able to consistently contend for championships (see the 2016-2017 re-tooling) even when other teams consciously decided to suck for a few seasons during a full re-build.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I think his command is too erratic to be a starter. And even if he’s not hitting 103, he’s still more likely to get away with missing his location at 99 - 100 than he would at 95 - 96.
    Yeah. I haven't looked it up to be sure, but it SEEMS like he throws a ton of pitches per inning even as a closer.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    The great thing about being a Yankee fan IMO is that there will always be a window of opportunity. Gone are the days of the 80's and early 90's when the organization was more about having big names to draw the crowds and no thought given to how each player fit into any sort of window of opportunity.

You're correct - the current window of opportunity seems to be dwindling, at least in our minds.

But I believe current ownership and management have proven that they are able to consistently contend for championships (see the 2016-2017 re-tooling) even when other teams consciously decided to suck for a few seasons during a full re-build.
    When I was 8, my grandfather had connections with a company that could get World Series tickets. The family talked about whether I should go that year, but they decide, no, I could go the next year. That was 1964.

I don’t believe in "always."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    Sign me up. I don't want to give up Frazier, but Darvish is absolutely the type of player that I would gladly send him packing for.

Cole and Darvish together would be as dominant of a 1-2 as there is in the league. Makes sense on both sides as Darvish is getting older and has $62 million remaining over the next few years.

I doubt this would be quite enough to land Darvish and we'd almost certainly need to add some of our top prospects if we wanted Happ too.
    Amazing that a couple of years ago Darvish was the worst pitcher on the planet. Why does anyone want to trade when you can just buy Bauer?
    “It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.”
    ― Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    Amazing that a couple of years ago Darvish was the worst pitcher on the planet. Why does anyone want to trade when you can just buy Bauer?
    They probably won't spend the money to get Bauer. I am assuming if they look at Darvish, the Cubs would have to offset some of the money.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Last year Bauer wasn't very good either.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

^^^This X 2^^^
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Michael Kay was on with Chris Russo today and brought up the idea of converting Chapman back to a SP since that is what he came up as. He added Yankees are short on pitching and he doesn't dial it up to103 anymore. He has a FB, slider and a change up. He said they would have to add to their BP if they do it but Britton can close.

Thoughts?
    Well his salary would make some sense then, but he's not a starter for a reason.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Why does anyone want to trade when you can just buy Bauer?
    I agree with the notion that it might be smarter to keep talent and use their biggest strength (money) to get pitching.

However, just looking @ Bauer's presumed price tag vs. his entire track record, I simply don't think he's worth the $$$ he's expected to get. If he was in the $20M-$25M range, I might feel different. But right now I consider Bauer's 2020 success to be more of an outlier than what I can reasonably expect him to be going forward.
    Last edited by sjb23; 11-21-20 at 11:40 PM.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NJ paper -plan for Yanks

Get lindor and sign Molina, Morton, Phelps.
    THoughts?
    https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/11/m...ter-deals.html

Re: NJ paper -plan for Yanks

Quote Originally Posted by hhill View Post
    THoughts?

I don't know why we are pushing for Lindor. We need pitching. If we don't have pitching, then guys like Happ are pitching playoff games and sending us home early.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

THoughts?
    The Yankees should offer Deivi Garcia, Luke Voit, Miguel Andujar to trump all other offers Cleveland receives.
    That proposal is IMMENSELY dumb. Terrible. What is wrong with these guys? It's one year of Lindor and he doesn't have much surplus value.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    That proposal is IMMENSELY dumb. Terrible. What is wrong with these guys? It's one year of Lindor and he doesn't have much surplus value.
    Could not agree more. Lindor is a good player, but one year of team control? I wouldn't trade Garcia straight up for him TBH. And then add Voit on top of Garcia, plus throw in Andujar? Hard pass on that nonsense. I would think that is a package for a good player with numerous years of control.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Could not agree more. Lindor is a good player, but one year of team control? I wouldn't trade Garcia straight up for him TBH. And then add Voit on top of Garcia, plus throw in Andujar? Hard pass on that nonsense. I would think that is a package for a good player with numerous years of control.
    Agree with your hard pass. The Dodgers gave up much less for Betts who is a superior player.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Andujar for Lindor makes sense because we have too many DHs on this team. Not saying Cleveland wants to do that though.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

NYYF Legend

THoughts?
    I like the idea of David Phelps coming back as a multi-inning, middle-inning reliever. His addition could lead to Loaisiga cementing a role as a 7th inning guy to give Boone some choices besides Chad Green and Adam Ottavino. I see Loaisiga taking over Tommy Kahnle's role on the club.

Couple this with signing Trevor Rosenthal to compliment Britton and Chapman in the 8th and 9th innings, and the bullpen could become a strength again, with Luis Cessa and Jonathan Holder in roles more suited for them - multi-inning middle inning guys used only in low pressure situations.

That's 9 guys for 8 spots, but I think Holder still has ml options.

Doesn’t Bauer hate G. Cole because of college hazing/bullying?
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

I have seen Joe Musgrove mentioned a few times ...Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    I have seen Joe Musgrove mentioned a few times ...Any thoughts?

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2020/...er-gerrit-cole

I was thinking Musgrove too - Tanaka-type stuff and has seemed to turn the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    I don't know why we are pushing for Lindor. We need pitching. If we don't have pitching, then guys like Happ are pitching playoff games and sending us home early.

I agree that we need more and better starting pitching......would also be nice to have a shortstop who made all the routine plays and occasionally makes a great play. We don't seem to have that right now.

I’d love Bauer but he’s got plenty of issues and is going to cost a lot more than Darvish is signed for.

We need a #2 and Darvish is one of the few pitchers out there who fills that role. Sure he had a bad year 2 years ago but he was lights out last year and has been solid the rest of his career.

I like Clint but like I said, I’d gladly send him and another couple prospects not in our top 5 for Darvish. He fills our biggest need right now.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

I’d love Bauer but he’s got plenty of issues and is going to cost a lot more than Darvish is signed for.

We need a #2 and Darvish is one of the few pitchers out there who fills that role. Sure he had a bad year 2 years ago but he was lights out last year and has been solid the rest of his career.

I like Clint but like I said, I’d gladly send him and another couple prospects not in our top 5 for Darvish. He fills our biggest need right now.
    Clint would be a massive overpay considering the Cubs are desperate to shed payroll.
    I’m thinking Andujar + prospects with the Cubs eating some money.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Clint would be a massive overpay considering the Cubs are desperate to shed payroll.
    I’m thinking Andujar + prospects with the Cubs eating some money.
    The Cubs would laugh at an offer headlined by a guy who has negative 1.5 WAR over the last two seasons. Darvish was unarguably one of the top 5 pitchers last year and probably should have won the Cy Young. He's owed only $62 million over the next 3 years. So unless the market has completely collapsed, he has a large amount of excess value right now. If he's available, there will be some big competition for him. He is not even close to being a salary dump situation.

I'd like to hang on to Clint, but Darvish has a chance to put us over the top. Clint doesn't do that.

The Cubs would laugh at that offer. Darvish was unarguably one of the top 5 pitchers last year and probably should have won the Cy Young. He's owed only $62 million over the next 3 years. So unless the market has completely collapsed, he has a large amount of excess value right now. If he's available, there will be some big competition for him. He is not even close to being a salary dump situation.

I'd like to hang on to Clint, but Darvish has a chance to put us over the top. Clint doesn't do that.
    They can laugh all they want, but the Cubs are the ones who want to shed payroll, and whoever trades for him is gonna pay him for his 34,35, and 36 age seasons.

He could have won the Cy Young last year and teams will still require a discount. Darvish is on the wrong side of 30.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Thread Information