+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 200 FirstFirst ... 36 76 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 96 136 186 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 4997
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    More and more this thread goes on the more Iím thinking you bring back DJ and keep Gleyber at SS and then next off season you go after Story or Baez.

If you can bring in Phelps, rosenthal, Quintana and bring back DJ that would be a pretty good offseason. Those additions could carry you until Sevy is back and give you really good depth. Quintana could be a weapon out of the pen in October as well, like Corbin was for the nats

Iíve watched both Germanís starts in the DR, the stuff is there. I think these inning are going to be really valuable for him heading into spring training, and again - if theyíre ok with Chapman being on the team then there is no reason to not give German a second chance.
    I agree with everything you said, & I'm keen on German coming back strong - a legit middle rotation guy that can throw 150 innings. Quintana can give 150 innings also. Perhaps he just holds the fort down and Severino happens to come back strong? It's possible. Not likely, but possible.

Makes for a good storyline, anyway, lol. that's entertainment for me.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Cincy needs a SS so it would have to be Torres
    If Cincy was wiling to do it for a package of Torres, I think you have to. It seems like Torres is more easily replaceable than acquiring a top starter.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Depends on cost.
    I'm not concerned about the cost - I think I wouldn't pay him more than $10M, but the risk is more about needing someone without question marks - and Klubar's a pretty big question mark IMO
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

I really see no reason why the Reds would make Castillo available, especially if they're preferring to trade Sonny Gray, who'll be fairly desireable - but NOT for the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I really hope they are not committed to Torres at SS.
    Oh but that bat and team first spirt. It’s kind of incredible if resigned people want to move D.J. to 1B when he’s literally a machine at the dish and on the dirt.
    ďIt's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.Ē
    ― Epictetus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    I'll be more disappointed if Cashman bargain basement shops for improvements to the starting pitching staff.
    Well prepare to be disappointed.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    yeah I thought about Carrasco too. Who would you give up? I'm thinking Garcia has to be part of the package. I'd add Andujar. I could be talked into adding some arms like Medina and Abreu. I think they should keep Clint Frazier and plan him to play both corner OF spots.

Carrasco has 2yrs/$24M owed. He's not too far from being really really good like he was in 2018. He definitely adds value to the Yankee rotation. He may be the closest they'll come to a true #2 - so they're going to have to offer a pretty strong package if they want him.

Garcia, Andujar, Medina, Abreu ?

Cleveland's saving millions and can plug Garcia in the rotation and still be good enough to contend for their division. Andujar gives them options with their lineup. Two good arms, one a pretty decent prospect (Medina)?
    Cle needs OF'ers so I would think Frazier would have to be a part of it unless they take Florial with additional players.

I don't know much about Quintana's FB over the years but IIRC he never really relied on it during his years with the White Sox, when he was an All -Star. I think he's all about control, command, and having 3 or 4 legitimate plus-pitches. His value also comes from his proven ability to eat up innings and stay healthy.

I think he'll give an opposing lineup a much different look after they've faced Cole the day before.
    I donít think youíre remembering correctly, go to fangraphs and check out his pitch values. His 4 seamer has been by far his most effective pitch over his career. Heís lost velocity on it (about 1mph) and stopped throwing his cutter. He does throw a sinker a lot to help keep his HR rate down. His curve is average or slightly above. His change at least through 2018 and 2019 was a straight meatball.

His statcast numbers are pretty much all bad the past few years. Unless thereís a mechanical flaw or repertoire change youíve scouted I think youíre looking purely at an innings eater type of pitcher going forward that could continue to regress. Think younger version of Happ.

Cle needs OF'ers so I would think Frazier would have to be a part of it unless they take Florial with additional players.
    I think you could get him without Frazier. If you use the Kluber trade as guidance, Florial and a good pitching prospect (maybe Gil) could be the core of the trade given the salary relief benefits to Cleveland. That would be more than they got for Kluber.

NYYF Legend

Yeah like I said, I don't want to make Frazier a part of a deal to get Carrasco. I don't think they'll want Andujar based on their current roster. Does anyone know what the Indians plan on doing for a SS if they deal Lindor?

And if Cleveland moves Lindor first, they might even just want to keep Carrasco, or definitely ask the Yankees for Torres as the main piece of a deal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I donít think youíre remembering correctly, go to fangraphs and check out his pitch values. His 4 seamer has been by far his most effective pitch over his career. Heís lost velocity on it (about 1mph) and stopped throwing his cutter. He does throw a sinker a lot to help keep his HR rate down. His curve is average or slightly above. His change at least through 2018 and 2019 was a straight meatball.

His statcast numbers are pretty much all bad the past few years. Unless thereís a mechanical flaw or repertoire change youíve scouted I think youíre looking purely at an innings eater type of pitcher going forward that could continue to regress. Think younger version of Happ.
    Gotcha. good scouting report. Just trying to come up with a plan that makes sense. I'm growing anxious about the rotation, but not concerned. I love a good drama lol.

Lol, I've even recently thought that re-signing Paxton might be an option - but a risky back injury is stopping me in my tracks.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    If Cincy was wiling to do it for a package of Torres, I think you have to. It seems like Torres is more easily replaceable than acquiring a top starter.
    I am of the same thought - if you are not committed to Gleyber at SS, then trade him - his value will never be higher.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Well prepare to be disappointed.
    That's probably true.

Are there any highly regarding SS prospects in the Yankee system with a chance to make it to the majors in 2 years?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I am of the same thought - if you are not committed to Gleyber at SS, then trade him - his value will never be higher.
    If we are up against the LT limit play Holder at SS and use money for pitching. Believe me this will work. Teams have won in the past with light hitting SS with elite "D" skills.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    If he were to again, next season, hit 38 hrs, his value would surely be higher, much higher, than after a 2020 performance at the plate that was somewhat disappointing. (Of course, the Orioles will be better in 2020 than they were in 2019.)

Are there any highly regarding SS prospects in the Yankee system with a chance to make it to the majors in 2 years?
    I don't know, but there are a bunch of SS who will be free agents after 2021.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Yeah the guy they just protected in the draft 5 Oswaldo Perazo I believe is his name he looks like he's a good Fielding shortstop and is about two years away I think the guy can hit also I think he's a switch-hitter if I remember right

Yeah the guy they just protected in the draft 5 Oswaldo Perazo I believe is his name he looks like he's a good Fielding shortstop and is about two years away I think the guy can hit also I think he's a switch-hitter if I remember right
    Thanks!

NYYF Legend

Peraza. He is a RHH But the rest is on point.

NYYF Legend

That's probably true.
    I just donít see them being in on Bauer. They only have about $30 million in payroll to work with if they are going to stay under the LT threshold, and Iíve seen no indication that they are willing to exceed it.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Peraza. He is a RHH But the rest is on point.
    lol I guess I was just wishing he'd be a switch-hitter. Thanks!

I think there's also a defensive wizard (is it Keith Holder?) but he's not a ML hitter, maybe kind of like Tyler Wade but better defensively. I'd like to see more of Estrada but he might be better suited for 2B.

They've got some talented middle infielders. Not too much on the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I just don’t see them being in on Bauer. They only have about $30 million in payroll to work with if they are going to stay under the LT threshold, and I’ve seen no indication that they are willing to exceed it.
    If they only have 30 million to work with how will this team improve? They need an infielder, 2 starters and a bullpen guy.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    If they only have 30 million to work with how will this team improve? They need an infielder, 2 starters and a bullpen guy.

I guess the question to be asked is this: do you really think the Yankees plan to play a luxury tax? Hal spends a lot of money on the team, but I never get the impression that he wants to pay that tax.

If they can resign Tanaka, get decent performances out of Devi, German, JordanM and hang on until Severino gets back that's where the principal dough may go: for DJ and Tanaka.

For the rest of the "improvement," perhaps he's just counting on some actual return-on-investment from Stanton in the sense of longevity on the field. And the same from Judge (but without quite the saving on investment). And, in fact, full seasons from those 2 guys might make a big improvement in the Yankees.

Then there's Sanchez, and the hope that never dies of improvement. I don't see it, but it's likely the Yankees may.

I don't know about improvement in his fielding, but I do think they have every reason to expect Gleyber to be closer to his 2019 than his 2020 performance. (He looked like he might benefit from losing some poundage over the winter--I hope he isn't trying to bulk up.)

Get a 2019 performance from Gleyber and the kinds of numbers that full seasons from Judge and Stanton might offer and you've got a super dangerous lineup. In 1948 the Braves slogan was Spahn and Sain and Two Days of Rain. I can't do the same for Tanaka and Cole, whether in rhyme or meter, but if there's to be DJL and no luxury tax, we may need a slogan.

Does this mean DJL comes back? I have no idea. If they can get him and a decent starter, they may think that's enough--especially if Severino gets back after the ASG and gives acceptable performances. But I don't see them paying for DJL AND some comparably priced pitcher.

I guess there are trade scenarios galore, but that seems like sky-writing to me. Cash isn't waiting for advice from us.

Because Hal has not held the player development department accountable, he will have to spend for the Yankees to improve. Hal took over in 2009 and player development under his leadership has been horrible. Terrible drafts and IFA.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Thread Information