+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28 68 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2157
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Darvish can't throw innings, and under contract for his 34-36 seasons. Rather a short term Morton deal, or get what this team actually needs in Bauer.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Darvish can't throw innings, and under contract for his 34-36 seasons. Rather a short term Morton deal, or get what this team actually needs in Bauer.
    I have a feeling if the Yankees sign Morton, he will get injured. Again, the lack of Yankees to develop anything is really hurting them here.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I'm with you on Bauer. I wish they'd step up and get him. It just doesn't seem like that's the case.

And with Morton entering his age 37 season, I really don't want to count on him as a #2. It seems like the exact recipe for disaster which has bit us in the past.

Darvish isn't perfect - but I don't see a realistic non-Bauer option that I'd rather have slotted into our #2 spot. He was absolutely lights out last year.

How much do you think Bauer can get?

He will be starting next year at age 30. 7 years for 245? That is the Strausburg contract. I would be surprised if he gets above 300 mil.

That is why I wanted to sign Wheeler last year along with Cole.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Here is another problem with Bauer. A couple years ago he went on twitter and hinted at pitchers on the Astros using a foreign substance to increase their spin rate. He has been emphatic about saying the only way to suddenly get those increases is with a foreign substance. Bauer also said they did studies at Driveline and were able to gain 200-300 RPM with certain substances. Well guess what Bauer's spinrate did in 2020? They went way up. So did Bauer use these substances just for his contract year or is he going to continue to use them in the coming years? Kind of important considering the difference it makes in his game. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets his contract and then puts a video on youtube about how I made 200 million by cheating....

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Here is another problem with Bauer. A couple years ago he went on twitter and hinted at pitchers on the Astros using a foreign substance to increase their spin rate. He has been emphatic about saying the only way to suddenly get those increases is with a foreign substance. Bauer also said they did studies at Driveline and were able to gain 200-300 RPM with certain substances. Well guess what Bauer's spinrate did in 2020? They went way up. So did Bauer use these substances just for his contract year or is he going to continue to use them in the coming years? Kind of important considering the difference it makes in his game. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets his contract and then puts a video on youtube about how I made 200 million by cheating....
    Joel Sherman wrote about this early this year. Bauer implicated Gerritt Cole since his spin rate went up from the Pirates to the Astros and right before Cole went to Free Agency. I'd take it all with a grain of salt since Bauer didn't name names. Need to write something in the off season.

NYYF Legend

Excluding 2020 (because it's an outlier season, IMO) here's Morton & Darvish over the past three 162-game seasons:

Avg # Starts/IP: Morton 29/170 Darvish 23/135
    Avg SO/W: Morton 3.5 Darvish 3.3
    Avg HR/9: Morton 0.7 Darvish 1.5
    Avg WHIP: Morton 1.15 Darvish 1.23
    Avg H/9: Morton 7.2 Darvish 7.6
    Avg ERA+: Morton 131 Darvish 105

Darvish was injured in 2018 and only pitched 40 innings.
    Morton is about 2.5 yrs older & has arguably been a better, healthier pitcher
    Darvish is owed about $19.3M AAV thru the 2023 season
    Morton will probably only get a 1yr contract for less than $19.3M
    Darvish will cost players/prospects as well as more money
    Morton will cost only money
    Morton has more experience (61 IPvs.33 IP) & a lower ERA (3.38vs.5.18) in the postseason
    A 1yr deal for Morton opens up a spot in the rotation in 2022
    Darvish takes up a spot in the rotation thru 2023

Everyone talks about resource allocation. Which guy would you rather go for?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post

He will be starting next year at age 30. 7 years for 245? That is the Strausburg contract. I would be surprised if he gets above 300 mil.

He SHOULD under normal circumstances get Strasburg money at a minimum and made a great case for near Cole money. He's better and more durable than Stras, but doesn't have quite the track record that Cole did entering FA last year. That said I don't think he signs a long term deal because he won't get that in this market. I think he's ultimately going to take a short term deal as he has said he would many times in the past, but only has recently stepped off of likely on guidance from his agent.

I'd happily offer 1 year 40M, or 2 years 75M. I think the Yankees are totally out on anything long term here and realistically probably out completely even on a short term deal like this, but this could be a rare opportunity for them at the ideal time as their window with this core may be starting to close or at least narrow with Judge a free agent in 2 years and Torres getting expensive at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Clint would be a massive overpay considering the Cubs are desperate to shed payroll.
    I’m thinking Andujar + prospects with the Cubs eating some money.
    Do the Yankees have just 1 healthy ,relatively young outfielder?
    I think before they trade Clint they should assess the present and future outfield.

Very interesting Bauer spin rates article:

https://www.redlegnation.com/2020/08...pin-rate-2020/

4 protected players for 40 man roster ahead of rule 5 draft

Olney just said Voits name has been floated as a trade candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Doesn’t Bauer hate G. Cole because of college hazing/bullying?
    Bauer got bullied by Cole?

I read an ESPN article that said the whole 'issue' is that Bauer got the okay from his coach in college to use more of a 'ballet' workout routine and Cole was mad at that because he thought Bauer should be using the same pumping iron routine as the rest of the team.
    “It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.”
    ― Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    Bauer got bullied by Cole?

I read an ESPN article that said the whole 'issue' is that Bauer got the okay from his coach in college to use more of a 'ballet' workout routine and Cole was mad at that because he thought Bauer should be using the same pumping iron routine as the rest of the team.
    The report I read a long while ago used the term bullying. After my initial post I learned your version may be more accurate. Also, Bauer might be over his one sided feud with Cole
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The report I read a long while ago used the term bullying. After my initial post I learned your version may be more accurate. Also, Bauer might be over his one sided feud with Cole
    I don't think it's a one sided feud. Gerrit Cole is a team-first guy while Bauer makes everything about himself and building his "brand." I hope they can coexist, but Bauer's mentality would likely not fit in with the team-first mentality emphasized by the Yankees throughout their entire organization.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

He supposedly wants 1 year deals.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by hhill View Post
    Do the Yankees have just 1 healthy ,relatively young outfielder?
    I think before they trade Clint they should assess the present and future outfield.

I think this post brings up a point that may be just important as all the talk about a #2 starter, resigning DJ, or what to do with Sanchez. Just have to wonder if Stanton and/or Judge are doing anything during off-season that would give them even the slightest chance of playing more than half the season. I dread hearing about half-way thru spring training that they are having leg issues......again........and are day to day, resting, getting them ready....uggg......

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post

How about Voit and couple of prospects for Votto.....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    Olney = Captain Obvious
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

If the Yankees are committed to staying below the luxury tax threshold, I don't know how they can improve.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

If the Yankees are committed to staying below the luxury tax threshold, I don't know how they can improve.
    There's lots of talk about this, but if they were prepared to spend $250M pre-Covid I agree with you, I don't see how they can try to get under $210M for 2021, especially with a re-set/new CBA in place for 2022 (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanders#1 View Post
    Very interesting Bauer spin rates article:

https://www.redlegnation.com/2020/08...pin-rate-2020/
    Bauer: There's only one way to create massive jumps in spin rate, and that's through use of foreign substances.

Also Bauer: Creates massive jumps in his spin rate in his walk year.

That's definitely concerning....

Quote Originally Posted by yesteryearman View Post
    It would have to be Voit for Votto, some very good prospects, and a large briefcase full of cash.

Voit is better, younger, and much cheaper than Votto at this point.

only want to trade stanton, andujar, ottovino, or chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by yesteryearman View Post
    Either my sarcasm detector needs calibration, or I'll need a little help understanding how this proposal makes any sense. Voit is seven years younger than Votto, isn't even arb eligible until 2022 and right now is the better player. Votto is guaranteed $82MM over the next 3 seasons (including buyout) and you want to give them Voit + prospects?

Thread Information