+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 201 FirstFirst ... 37 77 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 97 137 187 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 5003

Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Who says we have to improve? Rays appear to be taking a step back, and the Astros have Springer and Brantely as free agents. The Indians are determined to trade Lindor. The White Sox need to make more moves. I think the Braves and Dodgers are bigger threats compared to any American League team at this point. Status quo by resigning DJ and Tanaka might get it done in terms of getting to the World Series. I don't see any reasonable moves we could make that would put us ahead of the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I am of the same thought - if you are not committed to Gleyber at SS, then trade him - his value will never be higher.
    Coming off last season, I think his value certainly could get higher.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    lol I guess I was just wishing he'd be a switch-hitter. Thanks!

I think there's also a defensive wizard (is it Keith Holder?) but he's not a ML hitter, maybe kind of like Tyler Wade but better defensively. I'd like to see more of Estrada but he might be better suited for 2B.

They've got some talented middle infielders. Not too much on the corners.
    Yep, Kyle Holder...A special glove for sure, A little speed and fundamentally sound player. Kyle for sure has holes in his swing but can get on base..

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Who says we have to improve? Rays appear to be taking a step back, and the Astros have Springer and Brantely as free agents. The Indians are determined to trade Lindor. The White Sox need to make more moves. I think the Braves and Dodgers are bigger threats compared to any American League team at this point. Status quo by resigning DJ and Tanaka might get it done in terms of getting to the World Series. I don't see any reasonable moves we could make that would put us ahead of the Dodgers.
    You're final sentence is right on the money. The Dodgers are the new Yankees, I regret to say.

Gotcha. good scouting report. Just trying to come up with a plan that makes sense. I'm growing anxious about the rotation, but not concerned. I love a good drama lol.

Lol, I've even recently thought that re-signing Paxton might be an option - but a risky back injury is stopping me in my tracks.
    Yea I’m with you not a lot of great options out there to the point where I wouldn’t be opposed to taking a shot with Paxton. If healthy he’s at least someone you can plug in for a playoff start with confidence, so even if the odds are not great that he is healthy he might be one of the less bad options for a team looking to play deep into October.

Tanaka and the trade market might be the best bets unless Bauer is on the table for Hal. Pirates (Taillon and Musgrove), Indians (Carrasco), and maybe Rockies (Marquez) seem like the best trade partners.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    If they only have 30 million to work with how will this team improve? They need an infielder, 2 starters and a bullpen guy.
    They likely won’t.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Calls a tool a tool

Carasco also has leukemia. He has a significant risk for relapse. I imagine that will greatly affect the asking price. And it would potentially greatly affect the risk of depending on him for such a high rotation spot with no apparent replacement should he go down.

Yanks need to at least engage the Rays and see what they want for Snell.

I would do Frazier, Garcia and Schmidt and see where that takes us.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    They only have about $30 million in payroll to work with if they are going to stay under the LT threshold, and I’ve seen no indication that they are willing to exceed it.
    I imagine that Hal & Cashman realize that while they can possibly lower last year's ($250M) payroll, they can't get down to $210M and still address their needs.

Re-signing DJ and Tanaka will take the $30M+ AAV. I don't think an available healthy #2 is out there to be had. The 2nd starter needed after Tanaka is going to have to come from free agency, I think. The possible trade options will be too costly (in terms of talent that's traded away), IMO. And it might have to be a #3 starter with some upside. There's lots of guys available but they all seem to come with question marks, some riskier than others.
    Kind of a sidenote, but for this organization or any similar organization to put out the vibe that because they lost expected revenues, everyone has to share that loss in 2021, IMO is not appreciated. I believe it's sending out a bad message. There are many Fortune 500 businesses that are absorbing their losses but not cutting payroll.

There are other ways for MLB teams to cut expenses, and there will be opportunity to increase revenues if they can have a six-month regular season and an expanded postseason in 2021.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

I imagine that Hal & Cashman realize that while they can possibly lower last year's ($250M) payroll, they can't get down to $210M and still address their needs.

Re-signing DJ and Tanaka will take the $30M+ AAV. I don't think an available healthy #2 is out there to be had. The 2nd starter needed after Tanaka is going to have to come from free agency, I think. The possible trade options will be too costly (in terms of talent that's traded away), IMO. And it might have to be a #3 starter with some upside. There's lots of guys available but they all seem to come with question marks, some riskier than others.
    Kind of a sidenote, but for this organization or any similar organization to put out the vibe that because they lost expected revenues, everyone has to share that loss in 2021, IMO is not appreciated. I believe it's sending out a bad message. There are many Fortune 500 businesses that are absorbing their losses but not cutting payroll.

There are other ways for MLB teams to cut expenses, and there will be opportunity to increase revenues if they can have a six-month regular season and an expanded postseason in 2021.
    I agree and think they have to spend past the luxury tax or else they put playoff revenues at risk especially with growing competition in the division. That’s the real prize for them is to make the playoffs every year. Anything after that is gravy, which is why they continue to use narratives suggesting the playoffs are a crapshoot and that they’ve been so “close” the past few years. Hal is perfectly fine with Cash as long as he gives him a playoff team without spending to the moon. It’ll be interesting to see if the prospects coming up allow that to continue.

For this year I think they’ll look at a number of short term deals plus DJ. Spend into the mid-tier securing a high probability of a playoff position. Re-evaluate spending and opportunities to go under the luxury tax each year and with a new CBA that may change it significantly.

They’re not going to put playoff revenues at too high of a risk in my opinion. It would make no sense after giving Cole 300M last offseason to have no rotation depth behind him.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

So your plan is to not bother to try to improve? That plan will get you results. Last place here we come.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    They likely won’t.
    Agreed, especially if they lose DJL to Mets.

They really need to address the Stanton situation. Stanton occupying the DH spot on/off for the next 7 years isn't a solution. Make him play the OF or let him learn 1B if he can't be traded.

It's the type of problem Cashman will never address and is going to stick his head in the sand after creating the mess. Year after year we'll watch Stanton clog the DH and be injured 60-70% of the season. The 1B/DH clog is one of the largest problems on this club, but maybe sign a couple more relievers instead?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

You know, thinking about Stanton - he was in RF 100% of the time with the Marlins, and when he came here he had to go to LF because Aaron Judge owned RF. I remember Stanton looking a bit uncomfortable pretty often in left field. I bet he feels 100% more confident in RF. I wonder if this whole DH thing is because behind closed doors Stanton just doesn't want to play LF?

On the other hand, I think if Frazier isn't traded, he deserves the opportunity to become the everyday LFer.

Regarding injury-prevention, I think Stanton needs to play the field regularly in 2021 with the hope that he'll actually stay healthier - at this point I think it's worth trying.

How many games should Stanton play the OF? 100? 80? 50?

I guess Frazier could get 80 starts in LF and 40 starts in RF?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post

Pass. I'd rather kick the tires on someone that would trade with us. A package of two of those guys could easily kick start or even put a bow on conversations for German Marquez, Kyle Hendricks or Zac Gallen.

Also do you trust Cashman trading top prospects to the Rays especially ML ready talent? I know the Rays have missed occasionally, but has any team done better overall in trades recently?

So your plan is to not bother to try to improve? That plan will get you results. Last place here we come.
    It's not my team or my plan. It is what I think is likely to happen. Hal went out of his way in his interview to talk about the Yankees losing more money than any other team. Also, New York teams will probably be some of the last to be allowed fans in stadiums. I don't expect the Yankees to go crazy spending money when they are likely to have significant losses next season as well.

One thing people never talk about when they look at adding payroll is the following years beyond the upcoming season. After next season the only free agent is Ottavino. His salary space and a lot more will easily be made up in arbitration raises to Judge, Green, Urshela, Montgomery, Voit, Frazier, Gleyber, Higi, German, Tauchman, Heller, Holder, Cessa, Gary, etc. Right now the Yankees have 17 players scheduled to be in arbitration next offseason.... plus Brittion and Severino both receive raises after next season. Making any significant payroll moves seems very unlikely beyond DJ and Tanaka when they have significant raises coming with a ton of arbitration eligible players.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post

(This may be worst than the Chris Archer trade.)

It's not my team or my plan. It is what I think is likely to happen. Hal went out of his way in his interview to talk about the Yankees losing more money than any other team. Also, New York teams will probably be some of the last to be allowed fans in stadiums. I don't expect the Yankees to go crazy spending money when they are likely to have significant losses next season as well.
    Hugely successful businesses sometimes operate at a loss if it comes with the upside of sustaining their brand as best of breed. The Yankees have a $4B brand. Time to spend like it. The sheen will wear off this thing somewhat if they let other teams displace them as the premier franchise in the sport.

One thing people never talk about when they look at adding payroll is the following years beyond the upcoming season. After next season the only free agent is Ottavino. His salary space and a lot more will easily be made up in arbitration raises to Judge, Green, Urshela, Montgomery, Voit, Frazier, Gleyber, Higi, German, Tauchman, Heller, Holder, Cessa, Gary, etc. Right now the Yankees have 17 players scheduled to be in arbitration next offseason.... plus Brittion and Severino both receive raises after next season. Making any significant payroll moves seems very unlikely beyond DJ and Tanaka when they have significant raises coming with a ton of arbitration eligible players.
    Which is why Bauer makes a lot of sense if he's sticking to his 1 year deal premise. Also, this is why they need to stop doing short sighted things like exercising Britton's option and re-signing Gardner (salary plus soaks up a roster spot with mediocre production versus seeing what you have in a Tauch).

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Agreed, especially if they lose DJL to Mets.

They really need to address the Stanton situation. Stanton occupying the DH spot on/off for the next 7 years isn't a solution. Make him play the OF or let him learn 1B if he can't be traded.

It's the type of problem Cashman will never address and is going to stick his head in the sand after creating the mess. Year after year we'll watch Stanton clog the DH and be injured 60-70% of the season. The 1B/DH clog is one of the largest problems on this club, but maybe sign a couple more relievers instead?
    If he is injured 60-70% of the time, is he really clogging the DH position? And I really don't see 1B clogged if we only have Voit there.

As to the idea of having him learn 1B, I have no issue with the idea - I believe in flexibility of positions and having him learn 1B would increase the flexibility of this roster.

You know, thinking about Stanton - he was in RF 100% of the time with the Marlins, and when he came here he had to go to LF because Aaron Judge owned RF. I remember Stanton looking a bit uncomfortable pretty often in left field. I bet he feels 100% more confident in RF. I wonder if this whole DH thing is because behind closed doors Stanton just doesn't want to play LF?

On the other hand, I think if Frazier isn't traded, he deserves the opportunity to become the everyday LFer.

Regarding injury-prevention, I think Stanton needs to play the field regularly in 2021 with the hope that he'll actually stay healthier - at this point I think it's worth trying.

How many games should Stanton play the OF? 100? 80? 50?

I guess Frazier could get 80 starts in LF and 40 starts in RF?
    IMO, if Stanton is uncomfortable in LF, then the response is to move Judge to LF and let him play RF. I actually think that Judge would be more than adequate in LF for this team.

Stanton should play 100+ games in the field - since most of his injuries seem to come as a result of his running the bases, maybe keeping his legs warm in between bats would reduce the frequency of injuries.

As for Frazier, he can play whatever games Judge and Stanton don't play in the field - in fact, I would even suggest sliding Judge to CF when Hicks needs to sit and playing an OF of Frazier, Judge & Stanton.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    (This may be worst than the Chris Archer trade.)
    I wouldn't make that trade, but it's probably going to be a while until we see a worse trade than the Chris Archer trade. Chris Archer had been mediocre for two seasons going into that trade, and the Rays somehow got two guys that were top 10 prospects at one point - not in the Pirates system, but in the game - for him.

That trade was the Deandre Hopkins trade of baseball.

If he is injured 60-70% of the time, is he really clogging the DH position? And I really don't see 1B clogged if we only have Voit there.

As to the idea of having him learn 1B, I have no issue with the idea - I believe in flexibility of positions and having him learn 1B would increase the flexibility of this roster.
    Yes, because instead of shifting Voit to DH, where he belongs, they have to keep him at 1B to keep his bat in the lineup. Then when Stanton goes on the DL, we have a vacancy for an elite bat at DH and we're stuck with Voit's glove at 1B, or we shift Voit to DH and we're stuck with a weak bat at 1B. Or worse yet, they shift DJL to 1B.

IMO, if Stanton is uncomfortable in LF, then the response is to move Judge to LF and let him play RF. I actually think that Judge would be more than adequate in LF for this team.

Stanton should play 100+ games in the field - since most of his injuries seem to come as a result of his running the bases, maybe keeping his legs warm in between bats would reduce the frequency of injuries.

As for Frazier, he can play whatever games Judge and Stanton don't play in the field - in fact, I would even suggest sliding Judge to CF when Hicks needs to sit and playing an OF of Frazier, Judge & Stanton.
    Why move Judge? What if he has the same issue? Put Stanton out there and make him learn the position. It's not like Judge wasn't firmly situated in RF when Stanton waived his NTC.

That Stanton contract really scewed up a lot of things. The Yankees should have Stanton rescind his NTC when they traded for him.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    A package of two of those guys could easily kick start or even put a bow on conversations for German Marquez, Kyle Hendricks or Zac Gallen.
    Zac Gallen - seems like the Marlins should want to hold on to him?

Kyle Hendricks - Interesting, but I'm always wary of career-NL pitchers adjusting to the AL
    hitters. His contract should be in their budget though. And he's pitched innings and stayed heatlthy, both plus's.

German Marquez - I like this guy based on his numbers. Can't say I've watched him pitch much at all. Young, nice contract. Of the three, he's more intriguing. I'd stick him between Cole & Tanaka.

So you'd give up 2 of 3 among Frazier, Garcia and Schmidt? How do you fix the outfield if they take Frazier? Tauchman & Gardner? Where's your pitching depth if they take both Garcia and Schmidt? Are Medina, Abreu, Gil & Viscaino ready to contribute?

Kyle Hendricks - Interesting, but I'm always wary of career-NL pitchers adjusting to the AL
    hitters. His contract should be in their budget though. And he's pitched innings and stayed heatlthy, both plus's.

German Marquez - I like this guy based on his numbers. Can't say I've watched him pitch much at all. Young, nice contract. Of the three, he's more intriguing. I'd stick him between Cole & Tanaka.

So you'd give up 2 of 3 among Frazier, Garcia and Schmidt? How do you fix the outfield if they take Frazier? Tauchman & Gardner? Where's your pitching depth if they take both Garcia and Schmidt? Are Medina, Abreu, Gil & Viscaino ready to contribute?
    I am counting on Domingo German filling a spot on the staff.

Gallen might be a stretch, but the Dbacks will surely be looking to cut salary. If the Yankees took guys like Nick Ahmed, Eduardo Escobar, Peralta, and/or Calhoun all of whom would be useful to the Yankees, that along with a monster prospect package could entice them. If the Yankees took Bumgarner off their hands they might give him away for not much. That's a contract I want no part of, but Gallen is worth Bumgarner's salary easily so who knows.

Hendricks did fine this year with the DH in the NL. I think he'd be fine in the AL, no real concerns from my pov.

Marquez is probably my favorite too, get him out of Colorado he could really dominate, his road numbers are really good.

As for the OF minus Frazier I'm not a huge fan of testing time with Gardy, but he's a lefty that hits righties and plays good defense for what would probably be cheap (5M or less) so the match is there. I think Tauchman and Andujar give them pretty good depth. I'd stash Andujar in AAA to start the season having him work in the OF exclusively. Even with a little improvement you could easily hide him there for 7 innings or preferably just dust Stanton off opening up DH ABs for Voit and Andujar occasionally. You could even give Gleyber a look out there if they want to bring in a defensive SS. Or look at someone like Jackie Bradley and push Hicks over to LF and create one of the best defensive OFs in baseball. Not to mention probably near hundreds of OF trade possibilities. Filling a corner OF position should be pretty easy if they need to. I mean Cashman found Maybin off the scrap heap. None of these options of course are as good as Frazier, but I still think he's best utilized as a trade chip for top line pitching which is much harder to find assuming a trade like this is a reality as I wouldn't trade him for mid or back rotation filler.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Marquez is probably my favorite too, get him out of Colorado he could really dominate, his road numbers are really good.

As for the OF minus Frazier I'm not a huge fan of testing time with Gardy, but he's a lefty that hits righties and plays good defense for what would probably be cheap (5M or less) so the match is there. I think Tauchman and Andujar give them pretty good depth. I'd stash Andujar in AAA to start the season having him work in the OF exclusively. Even with a little improvement you could easily hide him there for 7 innings or preferably just dust Stanton off opening up DH ABs for Voit and Andujar occasionally. You could even give Gleyber a look out there if they want to bring in a defensive SS. Or look at someone like Jackie Bradley and push Hicks over to LF and create one of the best defensive OFs in baseball. Not to mention probably near hundreds of OF trade possibilities. Filling a corner OF position should be pretty easy if they need to. I mean Cashman found Maybin off the scrap heap. None of these options of course are as good as Frazier, but I still think he's best utilized as a trade chip for top line pitching which is much harder to find assuming a trade like this is a reality as I wouldn't trade him for mid or back rotation filler.
    Ok then, I'm in for Clint Frazier and Devi Garcia or Clarke Schmidt for German Marquez.

Cole-Marquez-Tanaka-Montgomery-German

Depth-Garcia/Schmidt-Severino

They could stay below $240M and still add bullpen pieces like Rosenthal & Phelps

Bullpen: Chapman-Britton-Rosenthal-Green-Ottavino-Loaisiga-Phelps-Cessa

I think Mitch Moreland would be a good sign to back up Voit @ 1st instead of Ford.

INF: Voit-Moreland-DJ-Torres-Urshela-Wade

OF: Stanton-Hicks-Judge-Tauchman-Gardner

C: Sanchez-Higashioka

Depth: Andujar-Estrada

Thread Information