+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 232 FirstFirst ... 30 70 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 90 130 180 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 5792

Re: 2020-2021 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Not picking on you personally because I’ve seen this sentiment expressed by many Yankee fans but I don’t understand the assumption that moving Gleyber to 2B solves anything. His problems are errors and lateral movement to the 3B side. Those things won’t magically go away by moving him to 2B. If you have faith that those issues can be corrected, then they can be corrected at SS the same way they could be corrected at 2B. Personally I would take my chances with Gleyber at SS and DJL at 2B.
    I've said a few times I would trade Gleyber for pitching. I'm not in love with Gleyber. Everyone talks about his age... the problem is he is in arbitration so in 2 years you will have to pay him big money in his final year of arbitration and/or sign him to an extension. He's not a player I want to pay long term. If Luis Castillo was available that is the move I would make. As far as SS vs 2b... the throws are easier at 2B. It just takes some of the risk out of him playing SS.

And don't worry about picking on me. I'm a big boy. I can defend my opinions and this is all in fun. We all want the same thing.... more rings for the Yankees

Apparently Snell is available. No chance the Rays trade him to the Yankees but I would offer Gleyber and more in a heart beat for Snell who is under team control for 3 more seasons for about 41 million.

Re: 4 protected players for 40 man roster ahead of rule 5 draft

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I agree - there are too many minor leaguers on the 40 man roster but this may be a sign of how good the organization feels about their pitching prospects that are two years away. Perhaps this is exactly what the organization's plan is - to trade guys like Cessa, Holder, Kriske and even someone like Wade or Estrada as part of a package with headliners like Andujar, Sanchez, Garcia for solid ML contributors, and then guys like Abreu and Yajure get a chance to take their places?

The four guys added to the 40 man probably have higher ceilings than Cessa & Holder & Kriske. The SS could be our future SS.

It's a thick, complicated plot IMO but I trust that they're going to make some splashes these next couple of months.
    Cessa and Holder are non-tenders in my view, Cessa had a decent season though so who knows maybe you could squeeze a prospect out of him in a trade, he's got a decent slider. Holder though has seemingly lost any redeeming value as all his peripherals were terrible.

I'd be looking to package these upside guys like Florial, Abreu, Gomez, Vizcaino, and Contreras for good ML contributors. Maybe Gil and Medina too. Obviously not all of them, but have to pick a few to keep that can develop and contribute quickly and sell the others to teams that can be more patient with those roster spots.

I think you could easily land a good defensive SS like an Jose Iglesias or Niko Goodrum that could serve as an oft-used utility player with Gleyber starting (DJ at second). Or perhaps even a nice cost controlled starter or reliever like a Spencer Turnbull, Rowan Wick, Scott Barlow among others.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Kelly View Post
    You cant spend what its going to take to sign DJ, an elite 2B, and then slot him at 1b. Its a huge misallocation of resources.
    The point is that you don’t trade Voit for another first baseman. If you’re going to trade Voit , then trade him for pitching.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    I've said a few times I would trade Gleyber for pitching. I'm not in love with Gleyber. Everyone talks about his age... the problem is he is in arbitration so in 2 years you will have to pay him big money in his final year of arbitration and/or sign him to an extension. He's not a player I want to pay long term. If Luis Castillo was available that is the move I would make. As far as SS vs 2b... the throws are easier at 2B. It just takes some of the risk out of him playing SS.

And don't worry about picking on me. I'm a big boy. I can defend my opinions and this is all in fun. We all want the same thing.... more rings for the Yankees

Apparently Snell is available. No chance the Rays trade him to the Yankees but I would offer Gleyber and more in a heart beat for Snell who is under team control for 3 more seasons for about 41 million.
    Fair points. If you’re not sold on Gleyber’s upside then it makes sense to trade him for pitching.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

The throws aren't really the problem its mostly just fumbling routine plays. Take those out and he's a near average defender at SS. If you can't take those out, he's not an infielder or at least a very bad one. I guess you could hide him a little at 2B if you think its a far less valuable position than SS, but I think far would be a stretch. OF would be the most logical move if he can't clean things up.

I'd be open to trading him, but as you alluded only for top tier pitching talent. I don't think we'll find that type of deal especially with the questions surrounding his defense. You could maybe get someone like German Marquez, who is great, but I don't know if he's enough. I'd have to pass on that and I love the idea of trying to trade for Marquez if possible.

It looks like Snell took a slight step backwards after his Cy Young season. His durability and stuff declined.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    The throws aren't really the problem its mostly just fumbling routine plays. Take those out and he's a near average defender at SS. If you can't take those out, he's not an infielder or at least a very bad one. I guess you could hide him a little at 2B if you think its a far less valuable position than SS, but I think far would be a stretch. OF would be the most logical move if he can't clean things up.

I'd be open to trading him, but as you alluded only for top tier pitching talent. I don't think we'll find that type of deal especially with the questions surrounding his defense. You could maybe get someone like German Marquez, who is great, but I don't know if he's enough. I'd have to pass on that and I love the idea of trying to trade for Marquez if possible.
    If I am trading Gleyber, I want someone like a young stud pitcher coming back.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Schwarber & Yankees match up? Headscratcher rumor

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Dude is entering his age 24 season and has been bounced around from SS to 2B and back to SS since his arrival. His offensive ceiling is so high at the position I think you give him significantly more time for his defense to follow suit. At least another full season (assuming his offense in 2020 was a fluke, which his post-season showing seems to support).
    I am totally in this camp re: Gleyber. This young man has been making adjustments ever since he was acquired, and he exudes confidence & success. He has earned the opportunity and deserves to be the Yankee SS in 2021, flanked by DJ @ 2B & Urshela @ 3B.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I am totally in this camp re: Gleyber. This young man has been making adjustments ever since he was acquired, and he exudes confidence & success. He has earned the opportunity and deserves to be the Yankee SS in 2021, flanked by DJ @ 2B & Urshela @ 3B.
    GT is a keeper, whether he stays at short for another year or moves back to second.
    One of the few YOUNG stars on a team that isnt so young anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    The throws aren't really the problem its mostly just fumbling routine plays.
    This is one of the reasons I think you allow for more time to see if the defense catches up to the offense. This isn't like Andujar, where he is starting from a places where he is historically bad defensively, lacks the tools, has all the bad habits, etc. A lot of what causes consternation with his defense is booting routine plays. That can be overcome.

Yeah you’re only trading gleyber for a Castillo type arm, otherwise he should be a yankee for the next 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    Yeah you’re only trading gleyber for a Castillo type arm, otherwise he should be a yankee for the next 10 years
    Or at least until he reaches FA in 2025. After that, it depends on the market and what other options are available and at what cost. In a perfect world, Gley kills it until the 2025 offseason, they groom a young replacement and let Gley sign a mega-contract elsewhere so someone else can pay him into his late 30s. One of the habits this team will need to break is just getting comfortable that they have a good/great player that they can just re-sign when they hit free agency. They need to be grooming replacements if they want to continue to manage payroll the way they've signaled they want to.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Or at least until he reaches FA in 2025. After that, it depends on the market and what other options are available and at what cost. In a perfect world, Gley kills it until the 2025 offseason, they groom a young replacement and let Gley sign a mega-contract elsewhere so someone else can pay him into his late 30s. One of the habits this team will need to break is just getting comfortable that they have a good/great player that they can just re-sign when they hit free agency. They need to be grooming replacements if they want to continue to manage payroll the way they've signaled they want to.
    This type of scenario is when I am in favor of teams offering opt-outs. For example, extend Gleyber three seasons into his FA, and give him an opt-out after year two.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Not picking on you personally because I’ve seen this sentiment expressed by many Yankee fans but I don’t understand the assumption that moving Gleyber to 2B solves anything. His problems are errors and lateral movement to the 3B side. Those things won’t magically go away by moving him to 2B. If you have faith that those issues can be corrected, then they can be corrected at SS the same way they could be corrected at 2B. Personally I would take my chances with Gleyber at SS and DJL at 2B.
    You're making the very point for moving him to 2nd. Think about how much range you need at short. Now matter how you cut it , your better defender is at short. Need a better arm, more range, the leader of the infield.

Defense is MUCH less an issue at 2nd

I think many here are seeing echoes of Sanchez with GT at shortstop, where Sanchez was iffy defensively at first and has continued to regress. GT undeniably struggled defensively last year, but it was a 60 game season where he didn’t have a proper spring training and battled injuries. He’s also much younger than Sanchez was and a better athlete. Given his pedigree where he was expected to be a natural shortstop, there’s no way that I’m ready to give up on him there. I think the Yankees only need to bring back DJ and then add a pitcher. If they lose out on DJ, at that point I’m bringing in Lindor and moving Torres to 2B-but I don’t see moving Torres as a necessity yet.

Re: Schwarber & Yankees match up? Headscratcher rumor

Club doesn't need another DH on this team. His LH power bat is enticing but they have too many one dimensional players on this team.

If they need a target on the Cubs in a deal for Andujar + than they should be looking at Hendricks, Darvish or Contreras.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Club doesn't need another DH on this team. His LH power bat is enticing but they have too many one dimensional players on this team.

If they need a target on the Cubs in a deal for Andujar + than they should be looking at Hendricks, Darvish or Contreras.
    Yeah, that's pure speculation based on a Cubs-centric view of the universe and doesn't really reflect where the Yankees' biggest needs are

NYYF Cy Young

I schwarber but he’d only add to the current positional inflexibility dilemma
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

Morton to Braves, one less option for us. (1year/$15M)
    Let's Go Yankees!

Where is Cash? What is he doing?
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Yeah, that's pure speculation based on a Cubs-centric view of the universe and doesn't really reflect where the Yankees' biggest needs are
    Most of what is published on NJ.com is pure speculation-

And, yet, I still read it daily.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post

Morton only wanted the Rays or the Braves, according to reporters.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Sometimes I feel like my sell by date expired yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    This is where he got his start and grew his undying love of climbing.
    He finally met himself, coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.

Thread Information