+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Hulu is dropping YES and other RSNs. Bye-bye!

I got this e-mail from Hulu today.

Updates On Your Regional Sports Network(s)
    Hi Timothy,

Starting on October 23, 2020 Hulu will no longer have the rights to distribute certain Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) that are currently included with your Hulu + Live TV plan.

While we were unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair Broadcast Group to continue offering channels like your Fox Sports RSN, YES Network, and Marquee Network, the good news is that you will continue to have access to a wide variety of sports from other popular channels including ESPN, TNT, and TBS, as well as FS1 and FS2.

Check out the Hulu Help Center for the full list of RSNs impacted by this news more information about what’s included in your Live TV plan or how to make changes to your subscription.

Thanks for watching,

The Hulu Team
    Anybody know what streaming services currently carry YES?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Hulu is dropping YES and other RSNs. Bye-bye!

ATT TV now- streaming packages with YES starts at $80 per month.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    ATT TV now- streaming packages with YES starts at $80 per month.
    Or you can watch for free using a stream on your giant HDTV

I use a site for NHL games that is bonkers bonkers bat................ crazy advanced there is absolutely nothing I have ever seen like it in my life. In one clean interface, you have a choice of every single game that night in high definition, from every broadcaster covering the game, AND FOR EVERY GAME PLAYED previously in the season in replay. The same site has MLB but they don't have the replay game archive feature yet. On the NFL side there are years worth of games. And you can download any of the games, probably more than even media has access to

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

Looks like I will be cutting Hulu Live

NYYF Cy Young

I'm tired of jumping around on these services b/c YES keeps getting canned on them, I think this is the 3rd one in the last year and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I'm tired of jumping around on these services b/c YES keeps getting canned on them, I think this is the 3rd one in the last year and a half.

It's really a pain in the backside. I do not want to return to cable tv, but this is getting absurd.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    It's really a pain in the backside. I do not want to return to cable tv, but this is getting absurd.
    Do you have a friend/relative outside the New York area? You can buy a slingbox and install on their TV and sign up for Baseball package. 1 time cost of 250 for slingbox and then 200 annual cost for baseball package

Looks like I will be cutting Hulu Live
    It's a long time until the Yankees baseball season begins again and frankly there is nothing else worth watching on YES
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Now they're going to cut your monthly price, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    Do you have a friend/relative outside the New York area? You can buy a slingbox and install on their TV and sign up for Baseball package. 1 time cost of 250 for slingbox and then 200 annual cost for baseball package

No one I know outside of NY has cable.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    It's a long time until the Yankees baseball season begins again and frankly there is nothing else worth watching on YES

I don't watch any live TV outside of baseball. I will probably pare down to their basic package to watch a few shows.

No one I know outside of NY has cable.
    I have cable.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow
    Person, woman, man, camera, TV

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    When I didn't have cable, I used to watch local sports by buying the package, then using a vpn service to hide my location. Haven't done this 8n about five years now, so the services may have made it tougher since then.

Eh. If March rolls around and they haven't worked out a deal, then I'll panic. Not going with that ATT option... way too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I have cable.
    I feel like it would be level jumping our relationship to ask you for your cable codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    When I didn't have cable, I used to watch local sports by buying the package, then using a vpn service to hide my location. Haven't done this 8n about five years now, so the services may have made it tougher since then.
    I use a vpn, so I could do that and then feed from my laptop to my TV.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Eh. If March rolls around and they haven't worked out a deal, then I'll panic. Not going with that ATT option... way too expensive.
    I'm not panicking. But if I have to switch, I'd rather do it now, or over the winter, and get comfortable with a new service. It's easy to switch streamers, so the only downside is the time and effort to learn and program a new service.

I went through this before, when Charlie Ergen's Dish Network did not pick up YES at its birth. I had to drop Dish and get DirecTV the week before Opening Day. Switching satellites was a much bigger deal. To this day, DISH does not have YES.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Yeah, what's the point of cutting cable when crap like AT&T TV costs $80? YouTube TV is now $65 after starting at like $30 or so. Streaming is the new cable.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Yeah, what's the point of cutting cable when crap like AT&T TV costs $80? YouTube TV is now $65 after starting at like $30 or so. Streaming is the new cable.
    It is getting to the point that it is no longer cost effective. I'm paying $76 for Hulu Live with no commercials.

NYYF Legend

It is getting to the point that it is no longer cost effective. I'm paying $76 for Hulu Live with no commercials.
    I'm paying $65 for YTV and Hulu w/no commercials, Netflix, Prime, and I still have Apple's streaming service because I got a free year with an upgrade to either my iPhone or MacBook Pro. Probably both, but I couldn't stack them as I seem to recall.

I pay $86 for 600 mbps internet, and with all those monthly charges, I'm still paying less than I would with the same content and bandwidth if I went with an all-inclusive Xfinity package.

But yeah, I groaned when YouTube TV bumped the rates from $50 to $65 but good news! Now you get MTV and a couple other networks that just don't move the needle for me at all.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I'm paying $65 for YTV and Hulu w/no commercials, Netflix, Prime, and I still have Apple's streaming service because I got a free year with an upgrade to either my iPhone or MacBook Pro. Probably both, but I couldn't stack them as I seem to recall.

I pay $86 for 600 mbps internet, and with all those monthly charges, I'm still paying less than I would with the same content and bandwidth if I went with an all-inclusive Xfinity package.

But yeah, I groaned when YouTube TV bumped the rates from $50 to $65 but good news! Now you get MTV and a couple other networks that just don't move the needle for me at all.
    So right now you’re paying $151 per month and YES network is gone. Adding ATT now will still be cheaper than the xfinity package?

NYYF Legend

Couldn't one just get a vpn and then get the mlb.tv package for the yankees.

People use it to spoof their location from lets say Manila so they can watch netflix shows on shown there.

I am guessing they have blocked this as it seems to easy a solution?

Then screw all these guys and get whatever you want. Get the 9 dollar vpn and boom. Done.

I am looking to get rid of cable all together since Altice is the worst. Don't forget that.

For home phone - get a cellphone, port the home number over, then bluetooth headhelds to it. Done, no need for cable and the house phone is also a cellphone. (this is what I did for my mother, so throwing it in there.

Internet - pay whomever

Baseball - vpn and mlb package

tv, whatever you need in the end.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    Couldn't one just get a vpn and then get the mlb.tv package for the yankees.

People use it to spoof their location from lets say Manila so they can watch netflix shows on shown there.

I am guessing they have blocked this as it seems to easy a solution?

Then screw all these guys and get whatever you want. Get the 9 dollar vpn and boom. Done.

I am looking to get rid of cable all together since Altice is the worst. Don't forget that.

For home phone - get a cellphone, port the home number over, then bluetooth headhelds to it. Done, no need for cable and the house phone is also a cellphone. (this is what I did for my mother, so throwing it in there.

Internet - pay whomever

Baseball - vpn and mlb package

tv, whatever you need in the end.
    You can. MLB is pretty aggressive on their blocking and a simple VPN may not do it these days. I know how to run an augmented vpn that also spoofs your local DNS servers that so far beats MLB. You pretty much lose your DVR capability unless you put a dedicated computer on it, because leaving the computer on the vpn full-time will screw up other stuff and cuts your speed. The lag is ridiculous, too. I'd rather avoid it, and I get mlb.tv for free with T-mobile.

Netflix has also gotten more sophisticated about blocking vpns. They just block you if your spoof IP is on their blocklist, which is pretty extensive. I haven't gotten around it, but it is not a current priority, it used to be nice to access all the Netflix's around the world--there is a lot of content they don't offer here in the US.

NYYF Legend

You can. MLB is pretty aggressive on their blocking and a simple VPN may not do it these days. I know how to run an augmented vpn that also spoofs your local DNS servers that so far beats MLB. You pretty much lose your DVR capability unless you put a dedicated computer on it, because leaving the computer on the vpn full-time will screw up other stuff and cuts your speed. The lag is ridiculous, too. I'd rather avoid it, and I get mlb.tv for free with T-mobile.

Netflix has also gotten more sophisticated about blocking vpns. They just block you if your spoof IP is on their blocklist, which is pretty extensive. I haven't gotten around it, but it is not a current priority, it used to be nice to access all the Netflix's around the world--there is a lot of content they don't offer here in the US.
    Thanks, this is what I thought. Or something like this.

NYYF Legend

I don't see how your DNS server would give you away, unless you use some super specific regional IP from your ISP. The standard google 8.8.8.8 is pretty ubiquitous if you just use that.

You mentioned a dedicated box for the VPN, and that's the easiest way to bifurcate the connection but you can also establish an SSH tunnel to a remote server and then configure the routing tables to access the MLB servers through it and the remaining traffic through the primary gateway

Thread Information